WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Karr Security Systems

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
Picked up a new Nissan from a dealer. All their cars come equipped with KARR Security Systems. My car came from another dealer so they did not have time to install. They gave me the key and strongly suggested I call for installation. Has SCAM (money maker) written all over it in my mind. Lots of complaints on line!

Any thoughts?

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Why is installing a optional Alarm system a scam ?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Why do you need two alarms on a new car with comprehensive coverage?

Personally I think its a scam when the dealer slides it onto all new cars and doesn't give the buyer the option of removing it without a fight.. I deal with it daily as an insurance agent. The dealer sells a guy a $500+ alarm system and tells him its going to save him big with his insurance.

Client calls me and finds out it does nothing because he was already getting a discount from the factory anti theft system.

Look at your comprehensive premium next time you have the account in front of you. Premiums are very low because new cars don't really have a theft problem. Taking 10% off a $15 premium doesn't do much;):)

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I have one on my truck, it was installed by the dealer when it hit the lot, allegedly as part of their "flooring requirement" :rolleyes

Dealer wanted $400+ for it when I was buying the truck, I told them they could take it out :cool The F/I guy gives me this look of bewilderment and says I'll be right back. Comes back and say "well I talked with Dave :p, and he says we'll include it for free!"

My guess it was going to cost them more to take it out :D

KARR had a 1 year guarantee, where if my truck was stolen and not recovered, they'd pay $25,000 towards a new vehicle!

Old Man Havasu

Reaction score
I have one on my truck, it was installed by the dealer when it hit the lot, allegedly as part of their "flooring requirement" :rolleyes

Dealer wanted $400+ for it when I was buying the truck, I told them they could take it out :cool The F/I guy gives me this look of bewilderment and says I'll be right back. Comes back and say "well I talked with Dave :p, and he says we'll include it for free!"

KARR had a 1 year guarantee, where if my truck was stolen and not recovered, they'd pay $25,000 towards a new vehicle!

"flooring requirement" Exact same terminology they used. I dodged a bullet possibly.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score

I just bought a new truck also , said take it out , don't want it , they just put a plug in the connector and disabled it . Now later
I'll go in and repair any damaged / cut wires .

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Redundant system.

Does your factory system have a shock sensor, motion sensor, Ignition kill like the Upgraded alarm system provides ?

Did you HAVE TO BUY IT ? would they not sell you the car without you buying this alarm? Sounds like you didnt have to buy it. Its an OPTION not a requirement to purchase at every dealership I've been at.

Alarms will not stop all car theft, but its a theft deterent device.....thats it.

You may not ever need it, but if the flashing LED light turns away one would be thief or vandal it would be worth it. Do you really want to deal with replacing a door or window with the attempted break in.

You also may not ever need your auto insurance or healthcare insurance, but its sure nice to have it when you need it.

As far as "new cars dont get stolen"..... I personally have two clients working with their Ins Co's right now for cars that "dont get stolen" both refused the OPTIONAL alarm and GAP Protection...oops thats going to be expensive.

Everyone knows of a friend or family member that has a car broken into or stolen. It happens in every city EVERY day. (didnt someone just have the tailgate off someone's truck on here?) maybe if the motion sensor set the alarm off, could have scared the theif away ???? maybe???

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
That's what they did with my new truck as well. if it starts causing issues I will have it removed. Dealer kept saying I needed an alarm and I told them it has a factory alarm so dont need the add on one as well.

I just bought a new truck also , said take it out , don't want it , they just put a plug in the connector and disabled it . Now later
I'll go in and repair any damaged / cut wires .

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Picked up a new Nissan from a dealer. All their cars come equipped with KARR Security Systems. My car came from another dealer so they did not have time to install. They gave me the key and strongly suggested I call for installation. Has SCAM (money maker) written all over it in my mind. Lots of complaints on line!

Any thoughts?

Just bought a brand new Nissan Armada and it also came from another dealer. When I was in finance, they tried to hard sell me on it. I said no thanks, but did buy an extended warranty along with 5 years worth of oil changes for $500.00.

Why do you need two alarms on a new car with comprehensive coverage?

Personally I think its a scam when the dealer slides it onto all new cars and doesn't give the buyer the option of removing it without a fight.. I deal with it daily as an insurance agent. The dealer sells a guy a $500+ alarm system and tells him its going to save him big with his insurance.

Client calls me and finds out it does nothing because he was already getting a discount from the factory anti theft system.

Look at your comprehensive premium next time you have the account in front of you. Premiums are very low because new cars don't really have a theft problem. Taking 10% off a $15 premium doesn't do much;):)

My wife worked for AAA for 6 years and we know not to fall for the KARR system scam as we already get a discount for the factory anti theft. What does help with insurance is Lo Jack, from what I heard.