Kawasaki or Yamaha

• Yamaha

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Kawasaki

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Don't flame me here but looking at picking up two stand ups to leave at the river. Preferably some what new i dont want to work on these things i want to spend my time riding them. Having a hard time deciding between the two brands and not being able to test drive these things makes it a little difficult to pick one over the other. Hopefully somebody can chime in on the pros and cons or real world experience with both brands. Prefer one that at most is a yr or 2 old only. And i also thought about buying 1 of each brand but that seems to be a pain in the ass for maintenance and everything else

D19

Reaction score
What are you looking at? Have you rode before?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Good luck finding a Yamaha. I am on the list and Yamaha is behind on making them. They told me January at the soonest.

The Kawasaki they had a ton of them available 3 Years ago. Now they are selling for more used than they were new.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I owned a 90 super jet so I’m gonna say yamaha all the way and I think you don’t need to buy one that new even up to 10 years old is fine

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I bought a 17 SRX1500 when they came out, pretty fast for a stand up. It's big, makes it handle boat wakes better than the older ones and is not quite as quick turning, but still fun as hell. If I was buying now I would want to try the Yamaha for sure as it's a little smaller and lighter, I was a JS550 guy forever. I think you can't go wrong either way.

77charger

Reaction score
Depends on what you want. 2 stroke newer id go sxr800 over a super jet. But 4 stroke id go new super jet over the sxr1500.

personally I have a 550 but if I got another ski it be an sxr800

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
If you want BRAND NEW, the Yamaha 4stroke over the Kawi 4 Stroke all day every day.
Yamaha 380 lbs,
KAWI. 520 lbs

If going for a newer used. Either Yamaha Superjet, or Kwai 800 will do ya right. Both different but good.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I have grenaded more 550's that I can count trying to make that "bilge pump' motor contend. I have ridden the Kawasaki big bore
smokers,Yamaha smokers.My favorite Ski of all time was my FX-1. 701 single carb w/ the best porting work ever IMO from Sano at Mission back in the day.
Oceanside waveriding to Mead Powell River moshing- endless fun -Have not ridden the new 4 strokes, but I have seen them, they look heavy. I'd stick w/ same manu for ease of parts.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
You need to bucket your search into two categories:

2 Stroke - At 1-2 years old you are limited to a Yamaha Superjet. I have a 2019 that is modestly built and I have buddies with Superjets ranging from stock to full race boats. The Superjets are nimble and fun with decent stability. Its closest cohort is the SXR 800 which is a bit more stable but in my opinion boring to ride as a play ski. I'll let you try out my Superjet if you haven't rode one.... shoot me a PM, I'm down below Parker. Its closed down there but I can get you a day pass.

4 Stoke - New Superjet which has decent reviews and is lighter than the Kawi. I was on the list and pulled my name off as I'm going to order a Kommander GP1 instead but I'm a motocross guy and want a race boat. The Kawi SXR1500 is fast but handling is flat out boring. Its a flipping tank but for long rides in a straight line they are cool I guess.

Either way, the market is crazy for used and new. Finding a pair of 1-2 year old Superjets is going to be tough and finding a new Superjet let alone two will be a long wait. The SXR800 and SXR1500s are readily available but still at a premium.

IMG_8065.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: D19

NicPaus

Reaction score
They had a 2020 Brand new superjet at Parker Yamaha last week for 12k on consignment. 2 stroke.

530RL

Reaction score
In the two strokes, as I get older I prefer the Kawasaki over the Yamaha. When I was younger and more bendable, I definitely preferred the Yamaha over the Kaw.

On the four strokes, I'll agree with the others. The Kaw is a cow. The Yamaha is much better. But neither are as fun for just goofing off as either of the two strokes. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

yFjHQrzkTX2Nr2VAoMsRug.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
I don't think anyone on here would flame you for wanting a stand up. Pretty sure most agree stand ups are bad ass. Totally don't fall into the lake lice description, are a blast to ride and take some skill and talent to run hard. I actually slow down for them when I see they want to jump wakes, so the Cig can throw a nice sized wake for them to get after it while we all cheer. 😁 👍

rivergames

Reaction score
My chick has a newer Yamaha and she rode my 92' SX 750 and said it felt like driving a Cadillac.

I like the stability of the Kawi 👍

white tortilla

Reaction score
I’d go Yamaha either way 2 or 4 stroke. I have a 09 two stroke and 21 four stroke. BOth very different skis. the 2 stroke feels super nimble and still has a ton of power out of corners. It’s easier to carve on, the 4 stroke is stupid fast, but feels larger, closer to the 2 stroke Kawi in size. The new four stroke without any mods I’m having trouble learning how to really turn it.
I have ridden a couple different kawi 2stroke 800s, they are great skis, just feel kinda lazy in stock setting.

CF4FE4D0-D241-4702-9A76-E91D45A1576F.jpeg
D360E50D-3C6F-4796-B7C8-F8E34C183EF0.jpeg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I was able to get a new 2021 Yamaha SJ this year. It is awesome - my first Yamaha stand up. I have a 440, 550, 3 SXR800, and SXR1100 Triple

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Kwai 1500 is a sacrificial ski, buy one and ride it until you move up the list to have your Kommander GP 1 built and they gut the Kwai for parts for your new ride. Friend just picked his up Thursday and it’s NICE.

Back to reality, I’d look for a pair on a trailer (stock SuperJets or stock SXR’s) but you’ll probably be going east or north a state or two to find something like that.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Kwai 1500 is a sacrificial ski, buy one and ride it until you move up the list to have your Kommander GP 1 built and they gut the Kwai for parts for your new ride. Friend just picked his up Thursday and it’s NICE.

Back to reality, I’d look for a pair on a trailer (stock SuperJets or stock SXR’s) but you’ll probably be going east or north a state or two to find something like that.
I dont mind traveling for the right deal at all

77charger

Reaction score

Your right about 1500s. Last year seen a few in showroom heck even in November and used as low as 6500. They are tanks. I’m a 550 guy but if today I were to buy new it be a new super jet and I’m not a fan of the older ones they handle different from what I like. But new one is a do all compared to a 1500.
My uncle has a 1500 and is either going pro force hull or kommander in that order.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Your right about 1500s. Last year seen a few in showroom heck even in November and used as low as 6500. They are tanks. I’m a 550 guy but if today I were to buy new it be a new super jet and I’m not a fan of the older ones they handle different from what I like. But new one is a do all compared to a 1500.
My uncle has a 1500 and is either going pro force hull or kommander in that order.
Either would do but for eventual resale I’d go Kommander.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Here's a couple SXR's around the Salt Lake area. Have no idea if price is right or obnoxious.