WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Keto Diet - Working For Me

Xring01

Reaction score
I know that some people have had issues with going on a Keto Diet: Having said that, there is NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL diet out there.

What may work for one, may not work for the other.

For me: Keto Diet has worked, maybe a little to well... I purposely slowed down on my weight loss.

So, this thread is not about me telling you: That Keto is the greatest thing on earth... This thread will be about my experiences, what has worked, where I got my info from, what hasnt worked, and answering your guys questions..

Lets back up...
Pushing 48 years old, Have alway been a big man. Texas Football Defense Lineman, graduated high school at 6ft, 220lbs and 32" waist... Joined the Navy and at 21 years old, I finally stopped growing 6'2" 240lbs, probably a 34" waist...

Being on a Submarine doesnt help with weight loss, as a matter of fact, its the exact opposite. Slowing gained weight. Combination of 6-7 Ankle Surgery's more broken legs/ankles/torn tendons/ligaments than I can count... Thanks to my Football Coach's and me being a dumb bastard for listening to them... YOUR RIGHT COACH!, I CAN PLAY ON BROKEN LEG!... in my best Mongo voice.:confused:

Most Cardio excercises are not an option for me... Ankle are that bad. Swimming is recommended, but the only gym near me with a pool, is not worth the effort...

So, fast forward to Dec 2018, 47 years old, I got all the way up to 52" Waist and well into the 300lb er class. For awhile last year, I have been watching you tube videos from "Dr Berg" and "Thomas De Lauer" on the Keto diet.

The more I read, the more I liked it. Why, because I had pretty much cut out all sugar from my diet several years ago... , except when I would hit any deserts/sweets in the fridge after drinking a bit to much with my friends.... I think most of you guys may recognize that bad habit.

So Jan 1st rolls around, and I decided to go full bore Keto...
I will not lie or sugar coat things..

Keto Flu is real, and it kick your butt in the first week or so. But Vitamins, plenty of fresh veggies, and salt, will tame this.... Keto Flu is the body adjusting to the lack of processed food, easily digestible carbs, and learning to burn your "Stored FAT" as energy, instead of the Carbs you just consumed.

One you get over the Keto Flu, you get a Energy Rush, like you need to clean the garage, cars, stove, all before you go to bed kind of rush. And your IQ increases alot, and thats addicting... Your mental clarity is much higher, and you realize you have been in a Fog for a long time.

The beginning is a bit hard, staying on the Keto diet... but the longer you stay on it, the easier it gets. To the point I was losing 2lbs a day... Yes, I slowed that way down, on purpose.. Dont want to get to flabby with excess skin...

Bottom Line: Since Jan 1st.
I have lost 40lbs in 4 months, could have lost alot more.
Went from a 52" pants size to 44-46" pants size.
Energy Levels are getting higher all the time
I enjoy going to the Gym, love lifting heavy weights.
Done all this with no Cardio work at all...
My ankles/feet do not hurt like they used to...'
Bad news for my wife: I have always had a high sex drive... well now its alot higher...

So what am I doing to achieve this:
Keto - watch a bunch of video's from Youtubers I recommended above, and intermittent fasting!
I eat - Meat and Veggies,... I still have some alcohol cut way back.. Red Wine/Bourbon one a week.
Nothing white... no breads, pasta, rice, sugar, potatoes, starches etc

Examples
Tri Tip cooked on Charcoal BBQ with grilled Zuccini/asparagus
Salmon cooked BBQ, with a big side salad
Steaks, Burgers, Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Sausage, Bacon, Eggs, Butter, Stir Fry's, Fish, Shrimp, Scallops, Philly cheese steak - no bun, zuccini, squash, asparagus, alvocados, salad, carrots, tomotoes, onions, cucumbers etc.

Last night we had BBQ Hotlinks, I sliced them and eat it with mustard, and boiled artichokes..

Before I slowed down on the weight loss..
I was easily able to not eat all day. Honestly I was not hungry... I would get home, BBQ some dinner, eat dinner... maybe have a snack before I went to bed on left overs...

Please note: I have purposed started eating lunch again, to slow down my weight loss. I dont want to get to flabby... I have been hitting the Gym as hard as I can, pending my work schedule, which is pretty long hours some days.

Some of the Bad Things about Keto:
Bad Taste in your mouth, some people have bad breath...
It can cause sleep problems, if you get into Ketosis pretty high... ask me how I know..
Boost of energy, which may result in lower checking account... because now you have the energy to fix everything
Clothes Shopping... yep.. had to have a bunch of stuff tailored, and bought new stuff
Social Aspects of eating with customers/friends
Reduce your Alcohol intake...
No Sugar/Processed foods
No Beer

I think I covered a whole lot,

If anyone has any questions/concerns, I will do my best to address them from the 4 months of experience that I have..

Please re read the above line: I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS, I am just sharing what has worked for me.... and may work for you...

:D

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Keto is the only diet my wife has been able to stick with.
The results are amazing, she looks fantastic [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
Whats a typical days meals and amount?

Typical Lunch for me: If I have my choice...
Would be Salad with Salmon of Shrimp on top... Even before the Keto diet... Its filling, but light enough so that I do not get that after lunch slump... sleepy feeling...

Lunchs, I like salads with some protien... watch out for the dressings... oil/vinegar/vinegarette types is what I look for.

Dinners: BBQ Protien, with Grilled veggies... or Stir Fry's... or Protien and Salad..

Snacks:
Pickles/Jerkey/ Nuts/ Carrots/ Fresh Veggies/ Some cheese etc

About once a week, I get a sweet tooth...
No I dont go out and get Ice Cream...

I buy the Atkins Bars that most grocery stores sell.. They are not truly 100% keto friendly, but they will not kick me out of Ketosis.... I have one of those, when/if I get a craving for something sweet..

Dont get me wrong... I purposed have cheat days every so often..
Probably every two weeks...

Seriously... I will have Pizza/Beer with buddys, which shooting pool at there house. I dont feel guilty... Its recommended by most of the guys I have watched on youtube...

I know you guys wont believe this..
I dont track portion size, or calories/carbs/fat... I DONT...

If I had to guess, I have 6-8 ounces of salmon/seafood per serving... probably 10-14oz of chicken/steak etc per meal...

For the guys that live in Temecula... a favorite lunch spot
Organic Roots near the Mall...
They have Hot Food Bar, Salad Bar, Soup Bar, Coffee Bar, Juice Bar etc..

So, I go to the Salad Bar, make up a great Salad, then I go over to the hot food section, and grab a piece of Salmon, on top of my Salad, grab a bottle of water or tea.. normally get out of there for less than $9.00...

Why, because the Salad Bar /Hot food is $6.99 - $7.99/lb pending the day of the week....

Some days, the Hot Food, will have Ribs/Pot Roast/Chicken/Grilled Veggies, etc etc etc..

So you can have a healthy lunch for the same price as a double quarter pounder meal.

Best news of all:
Organic Roots is a Hot Chick shopping magnet.. all of them have some type of un written code. that they must wear yoga pants... some with out a bra..

I can site see there for hours on end... Not as good as the beach in San Diego, but alot better view than most places.

Last edited:

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I made the life change first of the year and have lost 30. Goal is 20 more but like you had to put the breaks on a bit. Dr. Berg is my hero, that guy can explain a heart transplant to a 3 year old.

Congratulations on your metamorphosis. Interesting story, a few days ago I purchased a 25 lb bag of dog food for the pup. For shits and giggles I handed it to the wife and told her thats what my joints are no longer having to carry. She was shocked to say the least.

Eating out can be challenging but more and more restaurants get it and will prepare no carb plates. Big challenge is alcohol, I went dry for 60 days, now when I have a glass of wine or a tekillia it does just that.... kills me, I have become a major lite weight. Not a bad thing but for a guy who liked his beer its a big change.

For those interested in this life style there is help for the Keto Flu there is a company named Pruvitt that has drinks that help alot. If your interested in this type of product shoot me a PM and I can send you a link to there page. Not going to lie their stuff is spending but for me its worth every penny.

Enen

Reaction score
I've had friends find success with Keto. Long-term having the body in ketosis and having the liver process ketoacidosis
(keto-acid-osis) might not be the best strategy.

Like the friends that have had success with Keto, I've also had friends do great harm to their bodies following this diet.

This eating pattern was originally developed in France in the late 1800's to treat patients with seizure disorders. This eating pattern was popularized in the U.S by Dr. Adkins. It found life again as the South Beach diet, and several other variations over the years. "Keto" is the current rendition of this particular diet.

At some point in time practitioners of Keto may want to find a more balanced approach to eating. Equal portions of carbs, and protein with focus on maintaining proper insulin levels.

Just my humble opinion. Congratulations on achieving your fitness goals.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Xring, Nice assessment and info on the ol' KETO. I've been low carb / keto for 2 years now and really like it. I've "adapted" my body to it so well that if I fall off for a few weeks, I get back to it within a day or two of changed eating and don't have any KETO flu side effects. I concur with a lot if not all of what you have said here and my daily meals are similar to yours. You've put it very well and I don't have the time or patience to add all of my thoughts or experience here but I'll interject a little.

I'm Type 1 Diabetic so I am basically a walking biochemistry/metabolic experiment. And that actually makes low carb more fun and more meaningful. Basically minute by minute I get to toy around with the number one determining factor of ketogenisis and that is Insulin. I used to look at it as a burden but now I love being able to know down to the second, the impact foods have on my blood sugar and how much insulin I need to cover them. I'm pretty much the test rat around my house to see if some food or drink causes an insulin reaction.

I've never been stronger and more fit in my life than I have while eating this way. I do workout with a trainer 3 to 4 times a week for an hour and have a generally active lifestyle.

I eat way less volume than I used to.
Typical breakfast: 4 pieces of bacon (precooked microwave Kirkland Brand) or 4 sausages or a couple eggs or sometimes nothing. Drink, water or Diet Coke or for a hot drink, Pero (or your fave coffee) with some MCT oil added in for fat fuel. I cook my eggs in coconut oil.

Typical Lunch: Salads with protein. I go for the creamier fattier dressings, extra cheese, no tomato or croutons or tortilla strips. I do construction and am sometimes on the road and in a rush so I'll do ANY fast food joint if neccessary but I just don't order fries and I eat the burger without the bun, easy to do with McD's Quarter Pounder. At In n Out they call it the "Flying Dutchman" two patties with a piece of cheese in between- that's it- they serve them in a tray, I order two of them with grilled onions and don't order fries.

Typical Dinner is whatever my wife is cooking just minus the carbs. Focus on filling up with the protein, fats and veggies. Add butter and cheese to any veggie, and salt.

Some treat options:
Peanut Butter Fat bombs
Whole Cream with a bit of splenda mixed in and poured over a few berries. Freeze if you want a sugar free ice cream. Also can be done with cocoa powder.
Spoonful of Peanut Butter can quickly satisfy a night time craving due to old bad habits.

Sources:
Youtube- Berg is a little too trendy for me, I like the more science based talks and seminars, see my top 3 below.
1."Low Carb Down Under"
2. Dr. Stephen Phinney (teaches why and how to Low Carb)
3. Dr. Benjamin Bikman (more complex, scientific)

Anyway, I could go on but will stop here, gotta get some work done today. Hope this helps somebody who's into it.

Last edited:

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I've had friends find success with Keto. Long-term having the body in ketosis and having the liver process ketoacidosis
(keto-acid-osis) might not be the best strategy.

Like the friends that have had success with Keto, I've also had friends do great harm to their bodies following this diet.

This eating pattern was originally developed in France in the late 1800's to treat patients with seizure disorders. This eating pattern was popularized in the U.S by Dr. Adkins. It found life again as the South Beach diet, and several other variations over the years. "Keto" is the current rendition of this particular diet.

At some point in time practitioners of Keto may want to find a more balanced approach to eating. Equal portions of carbs, and protein with focus on maintaining proper insulin levels.

Just my humble opinion. Congratulations on achieving your fitness goals.

Great points, especially about the "focus on maintaining proper insulin levels." This really is the key. Every Body is different and every body needs to do varying amounts of carb restriction to achieve lower insulin reaction.

I think you may need to learn a bit more about your first statement though regarding the ketoacidosis. It's actually impossible for ANY non-diabetic to experience ketoacidosis. This only happens when there is a demand for insulin but the insulin is not present in the body. I've experienced it because I'm diabetic and while eating keto but it's always been due to my pump not delivering insulin, never due to my diet. Any non-diabetic will NEVER be without insulin because their pancreas is functioning and would supply the body with insulin long before any acidosis sets in. Moreover, the liver doesn't "process ketoacidosis", Ketoacidosis is the state of the body when there are more ketones in the body than what it can dispose of through urine or sweat excretion. Maybe you meant it may not be wise to have the liver process ketones long term. The kidney's are really the organ that process the keytones. Anyway, getting too far into this here. Just trying to clarify what you were saying about the acidosis part, just it's not going to be a concern for a non-diabetic.

Moving on.....

Swain

Reaction score
Wife and I have been off and on it for over a year. Works great if you stick with it. Good diet to get the winter fur off for the spring/summer.

Xring01

Reaction score
There is a huge misunderstanding from the majority...

Ketosis, is not Ketoacidosis... two different things....

Keto diet, is about limiting your diet, so you go into a Ketosis mode, which forces your body to burn you stored body fat....

Again, I am not the expert, thats just the stuff I have learned in my experience..

If you want more info on that subj... DONT TRUST SOME ASSHOLE ON RDP>... do the research yourself, and make that decision for you.. Because your long term health could be on the line....

To Clarify, before someone gets their pantys all wadded up..
Asshole comment is directed at ME....
Me being the asshole...
Not anyone else one this thread...

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
I am hoping to Lose 90lbs, total

But i will be happy 65 ish

Or a 40” waistline

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I know that some people have had issues with going on a Keto Diet: Having said that, there is NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL diet out there.

What may work for one, may not work for the other.

For me: Keto Diet has worked, maybe a little to well... I purposely slowed down on my weight loss.

So, this thread is not about me telling you: That Keto is the greatest thing on earth... This thread will be about my experiences, what has worked, where I got my info from, what hasnt worked, and answering your guys questions..

Lets back up...
Pushing 48 years old, Have alway been a big man. Texas Football Defense Lineman, graduated high school at 6ft, 220lbs and 32" waist... Joined the Navy and at 21 years old, I finally stopped growing 6'2" 240lbs, probably a 34" waist...

Being on a Submarine doesnt help with weight loss, as a matter of fact, its the exact opposite. Slowing gained weight. Combination of 6-7 Ankle Surgery's more broken legs/ankles/torn tendons/ligaments than I can count... Thanks to my Football Coach's and me being a dumb bastard for listening to them... YOUR RIGHT COACH!, I CAN PLAY ON BROKEN LEG!... in my best Mongo voice.:confused:

Most Cardio excercises are not an option for me... Ankle are that bad. Swimming is recommended, but the only gym near me with a pool, is not worth the effort...

So, fast forward to Dec 2018, 47 years old, I got all the way up to 52" Waist and well into the 300lb er class. For awhile last year, I have been watching you tube videos from "Dr Berg" and "Thomas De Lauer" on the Keto diet.

The more I read, the more I liked it. Why, because I had pretty much cut out all sugar from my diet several years ago... , except when I would hit any deserts/sweets in the fridge after drinking a bit to much with my friends.... I think most of you guys may recognize that bad habit.

So Jan 1st rolls around, and I decided to go full bore Keto...
I will not lie or sugar coat things..

Keto Flu is real, and it kick your butt in the first week or so. But Vitamins, plenty of fresh veggies, and salt, will tame this.... Keto Flu is the body adjusting to the lack of processed food, easily digestible carbs, and learning to burn your "Stored FAT" as energy, instead of the Carbs you just consumed.

One you get over the Keto Flu, you get a Energy Rush, like you need to clean the garage, cars, stove, all before you go to bed kind of rush. And your IQ increases alot, and thats addicting... Your mental clarity is much higher, and you realize you have been in a Fog for a long time.

The beginning is a bit hard, staying on the Keto diet... but the longer you stay on it, the easier it gets. To the point I was losing 2lbs a day... Yes, I slowed that way down, on purpose.. Dont want to get to flabby with excess skin...

Bottom Line: Since Jan 1st.
I have lost 40lbs in 4 months, could have lost alot more.
Went from a 52" pants size to 44-46" pants size.
Energy Levels are getting higher all the time
I enjoy going to the Gym, love lifting heavy weights.
Done all this with no Cardio work at all...
My ankles/feet do not hurt like they used to...'
Bad news for my wife: I have always had a high sex drive... well now its alot higher...

So what am I doing to achieve this:
Keto - watch a bunch of video's from Youtubers I recommended above, and intermittent fasting!
I eat - Meat and Veggies,... I still have some alcohol cut way back.. Red Wine/Bourbon one a week.
Nothing white... no breads, pasta, rice, sugar, potatoes, starches etc

Examples
Tri Tip cooked on Charcoal BBQ with grilled Zuccini/asparagus
Salmon cooked BBQ, with a big side salad
Steaks, Burgers, Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Sausage, Bacon, Eggs, Butter, Stir Fry's, Fish, Shrimp, Scallops, Philly cheese steak - no bun, zuccini, squash, asparagus, alvocados, salad, carrots, tomotoes, onions, cucumbers etc.

Last night we had BBQ Hotlinks, I sliced them and eat it with mustard, and boiled artichokes..

Before I slowed down on the weight loss..
I was easily able to not eat all day. Honestly I was not hungry... I would get home, BBQ some dinner, eat dinner... maybe have a snack before I went to bed on left overs...

Please note: I have purposed started eating lunch again, to slow down my weight loss. I dont want to get to flabby... I have been hitting the Gym as hard as I can, pending my work schedule, which is pretty long hours some days.

Some of the Bad Things about Keto:
Bad Taste in your mouth, some people have bad breath...
It can cause sleep problems, if you get into Ketosis pretty high... ask me how I know..
Boost of energy, which may result in lower checking account... because now you have the energy to fix everything
Clothes Shopping... yep.. had to have a bunch of stuff tailored, and bought new stuff
Social Aspects of eating with customers/friends
Reduce your Alcohol intake...
No Sugar/Processed foods
No Beer

I think I covered a whole lot,

If anyone has any questions/concerns, I will do my best to address them from the 4 months of experience that I have..

Please re read the above line: I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS, I am just sharing what has worked for me.... and may work for you...

:D

my wife has been doing this for 4 months and has lost 45 lbs and almost 10% bodyfat. She is a new woman and here i am this fat ole piece of shit. After reading your thread you just changed my mind. Im doing it. I need to lose 100lbs and I need to do it fast for the sake of my kids. I love meat. I love all the things in your list. Its the 12 hr days at work that kill me. Ive gotta find a way to suck it up.

Ive gotta catch up to my bride cause she looks amazing!

THanks for the post

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
On July 22nd of 2018, I decided to try a low carb portion controlled way of eating. I can't say it is full blown keto but I have cut out useless carbs, most sugars and watch my meal portions.

From July 22nd 2108 to mid October 2018, I dropped a little over 40 pounds. I have gone from a 38-40 inch waist to a 34-35 inch waist. I used to wear a XL t shirt, I now where a large. I have been able to maintain my weight loss since then. I shoot for about 1800-2000 calories a day on average. I am at my best when I record what I eat on the Carb Manager App. My current weight is just above 200 and my next goal is 190. I am just under 6 feet tall.

Before I started this healthier way of eating, my blood work was not looking too good and my cholesterol level was high. I had a physical in early December 2018 and my doctor was very pleased, as all my numbers were completely in the good zone. In the last 3-4 months I have started to buy new clothes as my other clothes were just not usable anymore.

I think what has worked for me is first and foremost - Portion Control. Next up would be the useless carbs that you find in so many things like chips and breads. I have replaced those with carbs from healthier sources. Cutting out most sugar is the next thing that has helped. When you start to read labels its crazy how much processed sugar is in what we eat.

Alcohol - I still drink beer but in less quantity. Vodka & soda is my new drink of choice.

One last thing to remember is that it takes time to gain weight and it takes time to lose it. There are no quick fixes in this game.

Xring01

Reaction score
my wife has been doing this for 4 months and has lost 45 lbs and almost 10% bodyfat. She is a new woman and here i am this fat ole piece of shit. After reading your thread you just changed my mind. Im doing it. I need to lose 100lbs and I need to do it fast for the sake of my kids. I love meat. I love all the things in your list. Its the 12 hr days at work that kill me. Ive gotta find a way to suck it up.

Ive gotta catch up to my bride cause she looks amazing!

THanks for the post

I work long hours, I travel about 1 week/month various things...(factory inspections/quality inspections/trade shows etc)
I travel alot on freeways, all over SoCal and NV... 3-4 hrs behind a wind shield / day is typical.
I take customers out to lunch 3 days a week minimum...
I had a bucket full of excuses on why I didnt/couldnt...

Finally got tired of feeling like shit/lethargic/aching ankles (which will never truly go away)...

But I have made progress, this diet has worked for me..

I hope it works for others... If you have any questions or concerns, I am happy to share my opinion...

Funny thing is...
I used to love drinking/partying with by friends... seriously... we had a blast...
I thought the most difficult thing for me, would be slowing that down...
Honestly, I glad I slowed it down. I feel alot better, the desire to get hammered once a week is gone..
Do I have a few glass's of wine, or a few bourbons with the same guys once/twice a month... YES..

But I am not pounding it back till 2 am anymore... at 47 years old about to 48, that might have been the brightest move I made...

Dirtbag, again, please let me know if I can be of any assistance...

BTW, guess where I was over my lunch break...
GYM... yep... took a late lunch, headed to Gym, grabbed a bottle of water and slim jim on the way back to work...

Yes, Slim Jims are on the Keto diet.
Its not the best thing I would recommend, but it gets the job done, when you a pinched for time.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Man this does my heart good...after Grads has his issues. My wife and I have been on it since June...I did our research and was convinced this was for me..The wife was perfect before we started..so I was the one at a 40" waist and 250lbs...Today I was 202 with a 36" waist at 66YO..well my goal is 190 and I'm on my way. Blood work is insane...Doc is thrilled. Her blood work is the best it's been in her adult life...So this all started for me when my youngest son blasts me a text and says "Hey Dad...I just watched a Netflix documentary called The Magic Pill"..."ya might wanna check it out"...The documentary never mentions the Keto diet...but it will get you in the right frame of mind for attacking it. This is not a diet to me...this is a lifestyle that my wife and I will be on forever...and the kitchen and pantry back me up...it's taken six months to give away and empty the freezer and pantry of all foods that don't fit the diet...and shopping is fun for both of us..we do it together now. It's not cheap but the feeling is so good. Hired a trainer and work out three days a week...and doing things I never thought I would feel good enough to do...

Emac

Reaction score
I have also been on the Keto diet since the beginning of Feb. I tried other diets and would lose 5-10 lbs but then gain it right back with a few extra pounds each time. I now have lost 40 lbs and as others have said it is more of just changing your eating habits more so than anything else. The diet is pretty simple and as Xring01 says you are never hungry. I too have cut out a sugars, breads, chips all of which is basically carbs. I too have been doing intermittent fasting. I have also limited my alcohol and now just have drinks on the weekends. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week just to try and get rid of some of the built up energy I have. As said most have some sort of issue in the beginning, mine was an afternoon headache every day the second week but then that passed. I also like to make some fat bombs up for the times I might be filling a little week and they usually bring the energy level right back up.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I work long hours, I travel about 1 week/month various things...(factory inspections/quality inspections/trade shows etc)
I travel alot on freeways, all over SoCal and NV... 3-4 hrs behind a wind shield / day is typical.
I take customers out to lunch 3 days a week minimum...
I had a bucket full of excuses on why I didnt/couldnt...

Finally got tired of feeling like shit/lethargic/aching ankles (which will never truly go away)...

But I have made progress, this diet has worked for me..

I hope it works for others... If you have any questions or concerns, I am happy to share my opinion...

Funny thing is...
I used to love drinking/partying with by friends... seriously... we had a blast...
I thought the most difficult thing for me, would be slowing that down...
Honestly, I glad I slowed it down. I feel alot better, the desire to get hammered once a week is gone..
Do I have a few glass's of wine, or a few bourbons with the same guys once/twice a month... YES..

But I am not pounding it back till 2 am anymore... at 47 years old about to 48, that might have been the brightest move I made...

Dirtbag, again, please let me know if I can be of any assistance...

BTW, guess where I was over my lunch break...
GYM... yep... took a late lunch, headed to Gym, grabbed a bottle of water and slim jim on the way back to work...

Yes, Slim Jims are on the Keto diet.
Its not the best thing I would recommend, but it gets the job done, when you a pinched for time.
you want to know the worst thing. I work in a baseball training facility with gym equipment outside my office door!

MOUZER

Reaction score
omg the keto flu ...end of first week....yikes ...on week 3 feel great cant sleep keep going down stairs do some sit ups walk around.......lotsa energy

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I started KETO second week of Jan and I am down 30lbs todate clicking away at 3lbs a week. I did this pretty hard core a decade or so ago and it came back with vengeance, trying to be smarter this time around. Daughter is getting married in August and didn't want to look like a slob... motivation is a good thing, plus it was real tight in my flat bottom last summer...

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I been on keto for 2 out of the 3 month journey of losing weight.

I'm down a total of 31 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

fastnlight

Reaction score
You guys have got my wheels turning. Those are some impressive numbers. As far as programs out there I heard a couple guys mention Dr. Berg. How is it? Any other programs/systems you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSR

Reaction score
If you’re doing the Keto Diet and miss having marinades and sauces, check out these. They are all pretty Keto friendly. Most have 0 carbs, a few have 1 or 2. My wife found them at a booth at the Disney California Adventures wine festival deal last weekend and bought all the flavors. We just ate the jalapeño and green apple 0 carb marinade over pork chops and it was pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Variety-Dres...ocphy=9030350&hvtargid=pla-449926626170&psc=1

https://www.saucylipsfoods.com/

Xring01

Reaction score
You guys have got my wheels turning. Those are some impressive numbers. As far as programs out there I heard a couple guys mention Dr. Berg. How is it? Any other programs/systems you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Berg is free,
He has a massive amount of videos on youtube...

Another one is Thomas Delauer,

Tons of info that truly helped me...

RJ65

Reaction score
Another happy Keto dieter here. Started at 317# and I’m knocking on the 60# weight loss door. I haven’t felt this good in years.

If you get the Keto Flu, try a tablespoon of salt in a small glass of water. Usually helps in a short time.

RJ

Enen

Reaction score
Great points, especially about the "focus on maintaining proper insulin levels." This really is the key. Every Body is different and every body needs to do varying amounts of carb restriction to achieve lower insulin reaction.

I think you may need to learn a bit more about your first statement though regarding the ketoacidosis. It's actually impossible for ANY non-diabetic to experience ketoacidosis. This only happens when there is a demand for insulin but the insulin is not present in the body. I've experienced it because I'm diabetic and while eating keto but it's always been due to my pump not delivering insulin, never due to my diet. Any non-diabetic will NEVER be without insulin because their pancreas is functioning and would supply the body with insulin long before any acidosis sets in. Moreover, the liver doesn't "process ketoacidosis", Ketoacidosis is the state of the body when there are more ketones in the body than what it can dispose of through urine or sweat excretion. Maybe you meant it may not be wise to have the liver process ketones long term. The kidney's are really the organ that process the keytones. Anyway, getting too far into this here. Just trying to clarify what you were saying about the acidosis part, just it's not going to be a concern for a non-diabetic.

Moving on.....

I've been fortunate to participate in a clinical health and fitness study. The study is being conducted out of Colorado. Doctors and high-level health and fitness names have come together for this body of work. ( <---- that's a hint ;)) I suppose I could drop names of the people I've been learning from if you'd like.

When you say it's impossible for ANY non-diabetic to experience ketoacidosis, are you suggesting those with Insulin resistance cannot experience ketoacidosis? How many people are over weight and looking to lose weight have damaged their metabolism by eating the typical American diet? How often is insulin resistance present even if not to the level of type 2?

Here is a link to a study that found bad diets are killing more people globally than tobacco. Interesting read. Eating and nutrition is a crisis in America.
https://www.theguardian.com/society...more-people-globally-than-tobacco-study-finds

Keto is basically the modern version of The Adkins diet. Lots of people lost weight with Dr. Adkins. The problem with diets like this is they aren't sustainable. How many people do you know that lost weight on The Adkins Diet only to find it again plus another 10 lbs?

Here is another link to one of the gentleman working in the study I mentioned earlier. If you have some time, please watch the video on this webpage. He is brilliant. He explains how diets impact our metabolism, and how people can actually be more unhealthy after losing 10-15-20 lbs on a diet.

https://leanbodycoaching.com/

I stand by what I said earlier. Keto is a fad diet. I'm glad its worked for you, and applaud the success you've found with it.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to participate in a clinical health and fitness study. The study is being conducted out of Colorado. Doctors and high-level health and fitness names have come together for this body of work. ( <---- that's a hint ;)) I suppose I could drop names of the people I've been learning from if you'd like.

When you say it's impossible for ANY non-diabetic to experience ketoacidosis, are you suggesting those with Insulin resistance cannot experience ketoacidosis? How many people are over weight and looking to lose weight have damaged their metabolism by eating the typical American diet? How often is insulin resistance present even if not to the level of type 2?

Here is a link to a study that found bad diets are killing more people globally than tobacco. Interesting read. Eating and nutrition is a crisis in America.
https://www.theguardian.com/society...more-people-globally-than-tobacco-study-finds

Keto is basically the modern version of The Adkins diet. Lots of people lost weight with Dr. Adkins. The problem with diets like this is they aren't sustainable. How many people do you know that lost weight on The Adkins Diet only to find it again plus another 10 lbs?

Here is another link to one of the gentleman working in the study I mentioned earlier. If you have some time, please watch the video on this webpage. He is brilliant. He explains how diets impact our metabolism, and how people can actually be more unhealthy after losing 10-15-20 lbs on a diet.

I stand by what I said earlier. Keto is a fad diet. I'm glad its worked for you, and applaud the success you've found with it.

I could reply with 10 more of my points, some of which would agree with and some disagree with your points that you make. Ultimately, knowledge is the key and applying what you learn. I'm happy for you or anybody that is out there gaining knowledge and trying to progress in their health and lifestyle. "Fad's" and "diets" should be avoided. Learn from true, proven science (not always coming from MD's) and apply that in your life to help you become healthy. The numbers don't lie and if the way I eat keeps the lab results/numbers right and the doc's happy then I'm continuing on.

Good luck to you and all others on their own journey of health and fitness!:)

Dirtbag

Reaction score
with any diet its all about changing eating habits....so if you finish the diet and just go back to what you were doing before of course yur gonna fail.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
with any diet its all about changing eating habits....so if you finish the diet and just go back to what you were doing before of course yur gonna fail.

I’d take it a step further...permanent weight loss requires changing lifestyle habits.

We need to be able to enter any situation - including vacations, restaurants, river trips - with the resolve to stick to eating what we’re supposed to.

My issues are different with celiac, but I’ve had so many people ask “hey lets go drink some beers on your cheat day”.

There are no cheat days.
Eating healthy is a LOT easier when it’s a habit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Keto is a 4 letter word around our house.:mad:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Close friends of mine, a couple, experienced the exact same results with eating Keto as those reporting in this thread, except it took them 2-3 months and then the weight just started falling off, almost uncontrollably they said. Both are down over 40+lbs in 6 months. The male has reported substantial muscle density loss which he is trying to sort out with his doctors. He's working out and it's not helping. Says that his muscles feel like mush compared to the old him, and he gets extremely sore from activities that used to have no effect on his muscles. Anyone else experience the same with their muscle mass?

Enen

Reaction score

Have you ever noticed how someone goes on a weight loss diet and looks like they age 10 years after dropping weight? The weight loss yo-yo you describe is a real struggle.

One thing to consider is the metabolic damage a person can and does sustain during a "diet". When you measure weight, much of the weight lost is muscle mass. The number on the scale goes down, so all is good, right?... It's a bit more involved than that.

To properly measure results (as JDunn mentioned) people should look at blood labs and other tests. One of those test is a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test. Another one is a Dexa body scan. These tests are widely available and very inexpensive ( in the $100 range). So lets consider a diet cycle for a minute.

If someone has an RMR of 3000 calories, it means they will burn 3000 calories an hour at rest. If they consume 1000 calories through the day on their diet, it leaves a caloric deficit and the body will revert to utilizing its stored energy sources. The problems begin when the body starts to burn muscle as an energy source. According to the scale, a person will be losing pounds, fitting into old clothes, and generally feel like they are achieving success in their diet. In reality they are setting themselves up for a boomerang effect.

When you lose muscle mass your metabolic rate decreases. So lets say for the sake of example that your RMR goes from 3000 to 2100 and you've lost 25lbs. You hit your weight loss goal, and are going to resume a more balanced diet, but not the strict regiment you've been following. You eat 2400 calories, but now you are only burning 2100, now you have a caloric surplus and you quickly pack on all the weight you lost plus more.

This is an oversimplified explanation. My intention is to communicate what happens in the weight loss boomerang most experience. Did you know that over 90% of people that lose weight gain it back? Its a mind boggling statistic.

Last edited:

Enen

Reaction score
I could reply with 10 more of my points, some of which would agree with and some disagree with your points that you make. Ultimately, knowledge is the key and applying what you learn. I'm happy for you or anybody that is out there gaining knowledge and trying to progress in their health and lifestyle. "Fad's" and "diets" should be avoided. Learn from true, proven science (not always coming from MD's) and apply that in your life to help you become healthy. The numbers don't lie and if the way I eat keeps the lab results/numbers right and the doc's happy then I'm continuing on.

Good luck to you and all others on their own journey of health and fitness!:)

I appreciate you candor, and applaud your success. I can only imagine the discipline required to live with Type 1. If more people were as mindful of insulin levels, when and what they ate, I believe we wouldn't have the obesity epidemic we currently have. Much respect from me.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Random question- How long does it take for ones body to get into Ketosis mode and start to burn fat?

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I think I would say...a fairly short time...like 48 hours. But please listen to someone else that knows more. I really don't feel this is a "fad" diet...and I do feel its very sustainable. You might fall off at certain occasions...and that's ok...I drink Vodka and Club soda and that is the new go to drink...but I don't like the results of a full weekend of it like I used to...The price is high and I'd rather save it for special times then abuse it like I used to..Take the 11/2 hours and watch the movie "Magic Pill" on Netflix...I could write for an hour on this...but that documentary made me realize how the Gov't messed up so many years ago. Take the time if your reading this and looking for some way to get in shape...

By the way...another Youtube dude is Dr Ken Barry...he's good and there's a young couple at "Keto Connect" that are also really entertaining and good...

pkbullet

Reaction score
What ever diet lifestyle works for you is great, as long as you can sustain it and doesn't lead to binging. The reality is though is it calories in vs calories out. Your maintenance is roughly 14 calories per pound of body weight. If you goal is one pound a week set you daily deficit at 500 a day. Adjust calories based on results and if you want improvement in your composition set your macros. Don't make you diet too restrictive and make sure to incorporate the foods you enjoy into your daily calories, to prevent weekend excess. Every diet works if it creates a calorie deficit and you are consistent. My fitness pal, or the Fitbit app make it pretty damn easy.

braindead

Reaction score

So what steps would you recommend for someone wanting to loose weight and be healthier?

Enen

Reaction score
So what steps would you recommend for someone wanting to loose weight and be healthier?

Here is a video of the guy that is heading up the study I mentioned. He is as legit as they come. This clinical study is going to be released in a book called " The New Body for Life". Celebrating the 20 year anniversary of the original "Body for Life" book.
Things like managing blood sugar, and other topics we discussed will be explained in great detail.
Part of our daily tasks included taking blood sugar readings just like diabetics do, and recording our insulin levels fasting, 30 minutes and 1 hour after meals. Metabolic damage is a HUGE issue with people overweight.

To keep on topic of this thread, our bodies NEED carbs. This in an indisputable fact. Living with fat as your primary energy source is not sustainable. The type of carbs our bodies need are complex carbs like oatmeal, sweet potato's and rice. Our bodies do not need sugars, certainly not in any quantity available in most foods today.

Last edited:

Enen

Reaction score

I posted this link before, but I will post it again. If you are serious about nutrition PLEASE watch this. It from a guy named Keith Klein. Keith is a nutritional savant. You will not find anyone on planet earth ( including Bill Phillips) that is better with nutrition. Literally all of the top body builders, supermodels and entertainers go to Keith to get a handle on their eating goals. This video is about 60 minutes long and is one of the best investments you could make in understanding proper nutrition.

Xring01

Reaction score
Since I created this thread:
I thought I would update you guys..

As I mentioned, I purposely slowed down losing weight, because it was coming off a bit to fast... I dont want a bunch of lose skin..

So I started eating lunch again at noon, instead of 2 or 3pm, and bigger portions at dinner... But I have been hitting the gym 5 days a week... and I have a set of 25lb dumbells on my desk... So when I get an office day, I can still use the dumbbells if I get sleepy or energy drops off...

So in the last 2-3 weeks, I really have not lost any weight... +/- 2lbs... which is probably liquid/water...

BUTT::: I had to drill another hole in my belt this morning... Its the second hole that I have had to add... its 1.5" away from the last hole.

So.. I may not be losing weight, but my waist is still getting smaller, which I hope means I am putting on muscle mass..

All my cloths are getting a bit to lose... I will have to get more in the near future...

Again, I am not stating that Keto is the greatest thing in the world.. All I am saying is that its working for me, and may be a good idea for some of you....

Yesterday lunch:
I was traveling: Grabbed a Sonic Double Meat Pattys with cheese lettuce & tomatoe (they call it Protein Style) no bun... and large unsweetened ice tea.
Snack before dinner: Pickle... I love pickles...
Dinner: Chicken Breast stir fry with fresh veggies and spicy ponzu sauce I created... Ponzu with Red Pepper Flakes... tastes similar to Kung Pao...
After dinner: My wife and I where watching TV, she grabbed some popcorn.. I have never liked popcorn, but I did get a craving for something sweet... After a few moments thinking about it.. I grabbed my self a double shot of good bourbon on the rocks... we watched some recorded shows.

Grabbed a handful of carrots as a snack before I went to bed..

So far this AM..
Coffee : Black nothing else.

Energy Level:
Wow, I am truly surprised at the energy level that I have. I no longer crash after lunch.. or 3pm... I am feeling better and better every day... Waking up with alot more energy, and looking forward to the day.

Some videos I have watched have stated you get a boost in HGH Hormone and Testosterone... I cant prove either one with blood analysis.. But I can attest to Testerone boost... I dont think you guys want all details, but my wife would probably prefer it, if I gained the weight back... :rolleyes:

So I am 4.5 months in... Feeling better than I have in years.. No where near my end goals, but very happy with the direction I am heading.

I may try to stay at this weight thru Apr... and drop another 10lbs in May...

But I have a week vacation coming up, heading to a Wedding in Texas, Apr 23-28 and will have some fun there.

Last edited:

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Thanks for your story, the wife and I have been on Keto for 8 weeks now and I was at 300 lbs now 255, from a 48 inch waist to a 42. Some weeks I don't loose any weight, other weeks I loose several. I just turned 57 in March and I agree the first week was tough. No sugar or substitutes for us, strictly water which was hard because I drank a lot of sodas.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I've been doing a mostly non-carbohydrate diet since January, so far I've lost 45 lbs. I was a fat fuck at 243 lbs. after the Christmas holidays and couldn't get my work pants to button. I had to go to Walmart that morning and get a pair of $18 Wranglers with at bigger waist. That was it, I've got to lose this weight. I checked a few diet programs and even thought about joining Weight Watchers, but decided to try the Keto diet. I never did get the calculator to ratio the carbs to proteins to fats, but I did follow the very low carb format. No breads, no tortillas (corn or flour), no potatoes, no root vegetables, no fruits other than berries, no juices, no sugary items, no ice cream, no cakes, no protein bars (they're loaded with carbs), no dried fruit (also a lot of sugar). I've been eating a lot of salads, eggs, meats, cheeses, berries, you can eat fish, actually it's encouraged, but I hate fish. No smoothies, shakes, hamburgers with buns (burgers wrapped in lettuce suck), no pizzas, no pastas. I've been really creative with adding meats and cheeses to eggs. Chile rellenos are pretty much carb free and so is machaca without the rice, beans, and tortillas. Tri-tip, steaks, rib roasts, even brisket is all okay - I've been smoking everything lately and with good results on my Traeger.

It surly cuts down what you can eat, but I've gotten used to it. The last two weeks I've been teetering around 200 lbs, 199.4 in the morning and 202.7 at night. Down to 200.2 the next morning and 203.1 at night. I weighed myself this morning and was down to 197.4 - I think I've broken the 200 lb. threshold. I'm trying to get down to my goal weight of 180 lbs., at the rate I'm going I'm hoping to be down to that by June and if I can hold it there I'll be happy. I think I've conditioned myself to know what I can eat to keep the weight off. I have done a few cheat days here and there - street tacos, pizza at Casa Bianca, I even had a small piece of tiramisu after pizza the other night, it was soooo gooood!

Since I've lost the weight my knees and lower back don't hurt, my blood pressure is back to normal, I don't get winded walking up hills. I need to start riding my bike again to get my endurance back up so I can ski longer than 2-3 minutes. I really wish I had the will-power to do this a few years ago, but I needed that moment of clarity to realize I really was a fat fuck. I've done all this without any exercise other than my daily activities of running a construction site. If you want to lose weight without working out, it can be done. If I did it anyone can do it without any programs, clinics, apps; just watch what you eat. Yes, it's that simple.

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
Listen to Dr. Gabrielle Lyon on the Mike Drop podcast. She drops some knowledge bombs about the KETO diet.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Listen to Dr. Gabrielle Lyon on the Mike Drop podcast. She drops some knowledge bombs about the KETO diet.

Really, 2 1/2 hours? Nobody here has that kind of attention span. Just give us the cliffs notes.

Spot

Reaction score
Really, 2 1/2 hours? Nobody here has that kind of attention span. Just give us the cliffs notes.

Listen to the podcast on the way to the river or work. She gives some great info on all the diets, zone, paleo, keto, carnivore. Bottom line, eat meat, get your blood tested, make your body physically strong, and keto not good. I agree keto is not good and I am glad a doctor is saying it too.

Xring01

Reaction score
For Every Dr... that says one thing... You can find another Dr. who disagrees.
For every Lawyer that says one thing... you can find another who disagrees...

People will believe what they want to believe... Including the Anti Vaxers.. No matter how much data you show them.. they will not change their minds....Mumps and Measles on coming back... Or just take a look at Politics : Democrats/Republicans.. But this is not the direction I hoping this thread would go!

Most people who try to lose weight, are not successful on the first try... most likely not on the second try... including me, many many try's/failures...

So when I say, this is something that is working for me.... nothing more... it may work for others...

Naysayers will Naysay all they want.. but that does not change the facts.
Fact 1.. been on this diet since about Jan 5th 2019
Fact 2.. I have lost over 40 lbs... (yep lost 2 more pounds in the last day or two and I wasnt even trying)
Fact 3.. Its the easiest diet I have tried... (Saying that.. it may be impossible for others)
Fact 4.. This is the best I have felt in over 10 years... (Remember I have had 7 ankle surgerys, took more drugs/cortisone injections, pain than I care to admit).
Fact 5.. I have done zero cardio exercises...

There are alot of success story's out there.. I am sure there are alot of failure story's out there...

Do your own research.. if you think you want try it,,, stage in slowly... (or if you huge balls.. just go all in.. right away.. but you will have a miserable 2 weeks ahead of you (Ask me how I know)
Below is what I would recommend to someone just starting...
Week one.. Cutting out sugars, I think this will be the hardest for most.. for me, I cut out most sugar years ago...
Week Two... cutting out breads/pastas/rice/white foods/starches/corn (corn is processed in your body as fast as sugar... therefore can cause insulin spikes)
Week Three... reduce alcohol intake... limit to only Red Wine/Hard Liquor,, but in moderation... maybe a few drinks a week.. not a night..., stop eating after 6 or 7pm.. nothing...
Week Four... full blown Keto diet...- watch a bunch of youtube videos recommended in the above posts...
Week five or 6... add in intermittent fasting... only eat between 1pm and 7pm... nothing before, nothing after.... (weight drops off real fast when you do this)

I know this sounds very difficult for the most of you... After a few months you dont really get hungry anymore...
Food Cravings disappear for the most part.
You have more energy, feel alot better...
Clear mind,
Cloths start fitting really really lose...
Carb Reload days are recommended every couple of weeks... CHEAT: Enjoy yourself, pat your self on the back for job well done., eat a meal you want.. next day.. get back to it...

There are some con's to this.
Sleep can be difficult at time: I am learning to eat a hand full of fresh Blackberry's, or blueberry's right before I go to bed..( I do not recommend this for people that are just getting started, because it could cause food cravings)..
From what I have learned, That small amount of sugar, releases triptofans (spelling) in your liver.. helps me sleep. I do not like to take any drugs, including sleeping pills....
Yes that small amount of sugar, kicks you out of Ketosis for a few hours, but you sleep alot better...
Another key Con: You will become a light weight when it comes to drinking. Because you dont have much food in your system to absorb the alcohol, you get drunk alot faster.. and are prone to hangovers... at least thats my experience....

Yesterday...
Lunch at 1pm with customers: Pt Loma Seafood, I had Shrimp/Crab Cocktail and Ceviche no chips...
Snack at 4pm Pickle/a few carrots
Dinner: BBQ - Lemon Pepper Garlic Salmon with Asparagus.. with a Glass of Pinot Nior...

Woke up this AM... probably down 1.5-2lbs... Lowest weight I have been for over 10 years...

Today-
Lunch - most likely eat around noonish, something quick... lettuce wrap burger and Ice tea..
Dinner - who knows... maybe a Taco Salad... that sounds good.

Last thing:
Gym: My gym routine is really basic
30-45mins of Biceps/Triceps/Chest/Back/Lats/Legs etc.. started real slow and light weights... then I go into a heat sauna for 30 mins... sweat like a pig.. I can say the sauna has any effect on keto diet... but its something I enjoy doing and may be helping me... MAY.....

THE LONGER YOU ARE ON THE DIET THE EASIER IT GETS!

I am not even trying/stressing anymore about it...Its becoming daily life...
THe better I feel, the more I want to keep doing it...
Like I have said many times: Its working for me.

Last edited: