WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Key West baby!! The count down has begun!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Totally agree plus it adds up big time taking a boat
I decided to do it one time just to see what the big deal was
Been coming back ever since
No pics or video are going to express the reality of being there
I’ll put off other things just to go, save , skimp but nothing like it
Yeah but he lives in Chicago.... I'd put a second on my crib to get outta there for a week. Too harsh? Could be.... we partying here Big Boy

Tank

Reaction score
How far in advance can folks accurately forecast conditions down thattaway? 8`-10' Whew
He crosses out into the gulf from Cape Coral. It can be deep and steep out there. Coming down from Miami is more shallow waters / inland waterway so no real swell until you hit the last 50 miles after Islamorada. Then you're back out in the open water and it can stack up there too but not usually.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
He crosses out into the gulf from Cape Coral. It can be deep and steep out there. Coming down from Miami is more shallow waters / inland waterway so no real swell until you hit the last 50 miles after Islamorada. Then you're back out in the open water and it can stack up there too but not usually.
Yup, I bet.... I grew up wintering as a kid on gulf coast cause dad was a "Tampon"and hated the Va. winters.... I've seen Fla waters act up in a hurry due to all that crazy fast acting wind/ storms. Things move fast down there.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Yep Its a Roll Of The BIG FUZZY DICE. Some Times you could Water Ski Down Other Time 2 Dramamine

Tank

Reaction score
KW. Coming up.
I'd like to ask about $$$$.... now i understand this is several notched above a weekend away anywhere. But Jeeeez.
Yes, as of today, 10/22, you can still find rooms on KW. Cheapest or so we found, Hilton Garden Inn at the airport. $500.00 before ridiculous fees and texes, about another short $200.00 pr nite.
Nicer place, beach, big pool is at the south end of Simonton (name???) at the south end of the island. Straight opposite Sloppy joes. $1100.00 before taxes and fees..... Too far to walk.
Airfare for us? Chicago? $900.00 ea X 2.
I just cant justify spending $6000.00 for 4 days. We were gonna fly in on Thurs morn, seats available, and leave on Sun.
I could take my wife to a 5 star resort in the carribean for a week for half that !
God bless you all going, please be safe. Everybody comes home hungover & sunburnt. post pix. again i say..... not this year.

We've been doing this event since 2000. Like Dan said, once you go, you wont not go back.

Pic of us running down in buddies (RIP Chet) first built TS Cig in 2000
dd.png

gilberts1-23.jpg

It is by far the biggest party / boating event on the planet. People from all over the world roll in. And there is HANDS DOWN no better boating destination. It's fuckin' paradise! But, as the years have rolled on, the prices have gone up, significantly. We're looking at dropping 5k for wed-monday which is average for this trip. However, we booked back in March when KW still didn't know how the Covid situation was going to pan out, so we got a decent deal at La Concha Hotel. But once you're there besides the hotel, food and drinks are spendy as well. Plus you start drinking and buying friends drinks and dinner etc. Shit escalates quickly LOL. This year, around July, KW realized COVID wasn't going to shut them down for the poker run / race weekend and all the hotels decided to jack the prices through the roof!! Crazy prices for hotels. Most places are 100% increase over "normal" increases for this weekend. Some say they're trying to make up for last years losses after fantasy fest and this weekend were basically cancelled. The city of Key West openly admits the Poker run / race week brings in the most single event revenue to the island all year (anywhere from 5-8mil). Prices get jacked up, because people will pay it.

We have a buddy that goes to a private island in the Bahamas the same week as this every year and invites us every year (would be about 5k for wife and I) and we haven't gone because it conflicts with this trip. But if they're going to charge these crazy prices next year like they are this year, I think we'll be hitting the Bahamas next year. Tough decision but I don't see paying these stupid prices for hotel rooms.

It's an amazing place though!

122.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
g.jpg
h.jpg
i.jpg
k.png
l.jpg
m.jpg
n.jpg
o.jpg
p.jpg
q.jpg
t.jpg
u.jpg
untitled.png

SLT Kota

Reaction score
I've made the trip to key west by water several times by water (not during race week) and I can say every time it was different and I wouldn't trade the memories for anything. I can't imagine how it must be during the world finals.

I can't wait to see the video from Dave going down with H20.

Tank

Reaction score
270 registered poker run boats running down to KW this year so far. Thats just CRAZY!

409MkIm.jpg

Last edited:

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
270 registered poker run boats running down to KW this year so far. Thats just CRAZY!

View attachment 1063325
Going Be a Crazy Ride Down...!!!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Tank, can you remind us where they depart from on way south? I think you or Dan mentioned around a 70 mile run.... thanks. Thats a lot of big speed running through same area even though its staggered.

Oopsy... found that info in earlier posting here. Good detail...

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
They usually leave both Haulover (through Haulover inlet thus all the videos) and Coconut Grove harbor marina and meet out at the very south end of Biscayne Bay for Helicopter photo shoot. Then head to Key Largo / Gilberts Tiki Bar for lunch (50ish miles). Then keep on trucking south to Islamorada for card stop / fuel / drinks (another 50ish) then on to KW (another 50). Total is about 150 miles. Stu has been splitting things up and doing dual stops with such huge fleets but that's the gist of it.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Thursday will have the most boats as always. But Wed and Friday they're doing runs as well. Break it up a bit. I bet Thursday they get 150 boats running down though.
Cluster Fuck At Gilberts

Tank

Reaction score
Cluster Fuck At Gilberts
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg

Yeah, you want to get there earlier and plan on staying a while LOL

Besides the docks in front of the Conch Republic at Poker Run Village, it is the #1 best place for eye candy. I like it even better than the Conch for checking stuff out because it's like 3 hours of constant bad assery coming, going, tying up, etc. and it's all boaters, not rando crowds like in front of the Conch.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
View attachment 1063399 View attachment 1063400 View attachment 1063401 View attachment 1063402 View attachment 1063403
Yeah, you want to get there earlier and plan on staying a while LOL

Besides the docks in front of the Conch Republic at Poker Run Village, it is the #1 best place for eye candy. I like it even better than the Conch for checking stuff out because it's like 3 hours of constant bad assery coming, going, tying up, etc. and it's all boaters, not rando crowds like in front of the Conch.
And nobody wants to go around to dock on the back side .... I remember hearing Stu trying to remind folks of those docks back there but this is the Look At Me crowd for certain. And I get that.

Wonder if ole RDP will be hop skippin across some sterns this year?!

Tank

Reaction score
And nobody wants to go around to dock on the back side .... I remember hearing Stu trying to remind folks of those docks back there but this is the Look At Me crowd for certain. And I get that.

It gets a bit shallow back there and there's really not that much dockage in the back. But a few boats always head over there. Stu is always stressin' about the tie off going too far out into the channel. I think he gets shit from the local law.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I'd rather not as that is what crippled me in the first place.. LOL. From what I understand the cigarette crew is skipping Gilberts and going to another sponsored stop for Cig owners only. Hopefully that cuts down on some of the transoms.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Like day after tomorrow?

No she's going to Vegas on Monday and will be there for a week, then flying to Key West Directly. Myself and Michael are heading down to meet Dan in Miami and make the run down, Stacy will meet us there.

Is Kelly bringing his Cig?

RD

Tank

Reaction score
No she's going to Vegas on Monday and will be there for a week, then flying to Key West Directly. Myself and Michael are heading down to meet Dan in Miami and make the run down, Stacy will meet us there.

Is Kelly bringing his Cig?

RD
Ah! Right on. You guys will have a freakin' blast. Such an awesome run. It gets long at times, almost becomes a "car ride" but the scenery and just over all badassery can't be beat. Plus, Dan's boat is OVER THE TOP.

Kelly is NOT bringing the Tiger. He's skipping KW this year all together 👎 He did some HEAVY boating this summer and a lot of traveling all over the place from LOTO, Pickwick, Great Lakes, etc and he's just tapped out it sounds like. Needs to get caught up at work. Thinking of going out to Tn. and stay with him for kids spring break though so that'll be cool. And of course June for cig run. Think Dan, AJ and I are towing the cigs out to loto :oops: :oops: . We'll see. 😁

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I'd rather not as that is what crippled me in the first place.. LOL. From what I understand the cigarette crew is skipping Gilberts and going to another sponsored stop for Cig owners only. Hopefully that cuts down on some of the transoms.

RD
Cig owners and their guest should be gently hoisted out of their boats by crane and set onto docks safely.... I like that picture!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Ah! Right on. You guys will have a freakin' blast. Such an awesome run. It gets long at times, almost becomes a "car ride" but the scenery and just over all badassery can't be beat. Plus, Dan's boat is OVER THE TOP.

Kelly is NOT bringing the Tiger. He's skipping KW this year all together 👎 He did some HEAVY boating this summer and a lot of traveling all over the place from LOTO, Pickwick, Great Lakes, etc and he's just tapped out it sounds like. Needs to get caught up at work. Thinking of going out to Tn. and stay with him for kids spring break though so that'll be cool. And of course June for cig run. Think Dan, AJ and I are towing the cigs out to loto :oops: :oops: . We'll see. 😁
Dave.... not sure about Tank but I'm a big fan of wearing ear plugs on my longer speed runs. It really helps save your hearing and everyone can still talk and hear music but takes that heavy constant wind whistling out of trip. I didn't discover this trick for many years and always used em on my Catalina runs with great success.

Tank

Reaction score
Dave.... not sure about Tank but I'm a big fan of wearing ear plugs on my longer speed runs. It really helps save your hearing and everyone can still talk and hear music but takes that heavy constant wind whistling out of trip. I didn't discover this trick for many years and always used em on my Catalina runs with great success.
Not 100% sure but I do believe Dan has the comm. system / headsets on his boat.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Dan your boat is beautiful. Walked around it this afternoon in Havasu. Have fun and be safe in Key West.

DWC

Reaction score
Book yo shit man! Get down there!!
Next year for sure. I’ve only boated South Florida once. Fort Lauderdale to Key West. One of my favorite family vacations ever.
Next weekend is our rescheduled Nashville trip to celebrate our youngest 21st bday. 👍

Tank

Reaction score
Next year for sure. I’ve only boated South Florida once. Fort Lauderdale to Key West. One of my favorite family vacations ever.
Next weekend is our rescheduled Nashville trip to celebrate our youngest 21st bday. 👍
Well that don’t suck either!

Nashville’s on the short list. Daughter went recently and said it was awesome!

Reactions: DWC

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
5 days til we sippin drinks in KW

Whew... that last one.... pure mayhem.... I never have been a sober boater.... kinda like golf, I associate both with partying.... so I'd have to have a sober co pilot to handle that mess at Gilberts. I didn't spot a single drunk type stumbling... heck even Big Dan hasn't given us one of his famous drunk texts since getting his holy grail Cig.... I may have to re think my position

catman

Reaction score
Sitting at LAX waiting to board to FLL… Finally snagged a condo In Truman Annex water front to watch the races in Key West. Took me 10 years to get one as they never open up. I guess I will have to rent it every year to keep
It ..
We will be out in a 42’ HBC Center Console all next week. As Tank knows Key West is a liver killer but a blast !!!

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Sitting at LAX waiting to board to FLL… Finally snagged a condo In Truman Annex water front to watch the races in Key West. Took me 10 years to get one as they never open up. I guess I will have to rent it every year to keep
It ..
We will be out in a 42’ HBC Center Console all next week. As Tank knows Key West is a liver killer but a blast !!!
That is way cool, great place to watch from, lets get together for a drink at ricks tree house one night

RichL

Reaction score
Every year I say I want to do this and somehow something family related always seems to get in the way.

Tank

Reaction score
It ..
Dude! Score! It’ll be worth the wait to have that set up! Who’s HBC? Those things are best of the best. Magnificent. Always a strong showing in KW from them too!

FYI, rough schedule is as follows -

Land 4:30 pm we’d meet up with Barret and my daughter who are running down on an MTI. probably chill wed night. Grab dinner maybe at A&B lobster house or half shell raw bar. Probably swing by rocks to get a drink.

Thursday who knows but Thursday night OSO / Speed on the water party at “the sand bar” next to sloppy joes. Also will swing by poker run village as they’ll have the body painting contest and opening of poker run village.

Friday watch races down on the pier. Friday night is big world Offshore street party then we’ll all be at ricks watching the durt bags at dirty Harry’s.

Saturday try to make it to the sand bar for the raft off (haven’t made it yet in 20 years because I of hangover 😂😂) but buddy has his 70 Azmuit down there and is taking it out so that might be a good spot to recover. 😉 Saturday night most likely durt bags again (they’re really that good). Sunday rehab a pool. Monday fly out. Have to squeeze in a run on Dan’s boat and the wife will of course want to hang out at the 801 drag bar which is always a good time. 😁and there’s eating in there somewhere.

It’s a lot. We usually just go with the flow off the rough draft.

catman

Reaction score
Hey Tank,Lets meet up, The HBC is a good friend/client s boat he keeps on Stock Island. He pretty much gave me the boat for the week. Plus he is putting the bait out for me to buy in on the boat. Will see. A lot of $$$$ vrs how many times I can use it a year. Still in the air but we are driving down Tuesday morning. Hope to see you all there..

Tank

Reaction score
Hey Tank,Lets meet up, The HBC is a good friend/client s boat he keeps on Stock Island. He pretty much gave me the boat for the week. Plus he is putting the bait out for me to buy in on the boat. Will see. A lot of $$$$ vrs how many times I can use it a year. Still in the air but we are driving down Tuesday morning. Hope to see you all there..
For sure. I’ll text you now so you have my number. We’ll all meet up for sure. RD will be floating around as well.

Oh, and can’t beat the deal on the HBC!!! Bad ass.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For sure. I’ll text you now so you have my number. We’ll all meet up for sure. RD will be floating around as well.

Oh, and can’t beat the deal on the HBC!!! Bad ass.

It’s HCB, not HBC.. Just in case we end up getting on that god damn thing I want to make sure we are all legit. Lol

catman

Reaction score
It’s HCB, not HBC.. Just in case we end up getting on that god damn thing I want to make sure we are all legit. Lol
You are totally correct RD.
What a fucking day. We always travel with carry on’s but this trip my wife wanted a big bag as we are here till the 18th. Well I checked my carry on and now it’s in Boston.. I need to find some concrete shoes for my wife and take her swimming 😁😁

Tank

Reaction score
Fuck. I’m not looking forward to traveling wed.