WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kia

zhandfull

Reaction score
Had a few Kia vehicles and been pretty happy with them so far.

Bought my wife a 2015 Sorento three years ago, it was a lease return with 36,000 miles on it. Do all the maintenance myself and it now has 98,000 miles on it. My wife works right down the street but my daughter and her like to drive.

Other than one trip to dealer for a ECM flash recall a few years ago it's never been back till recently. Wife calls me from Banning 50 miles away, there is something wrong with the car and it's making noise. I tell her to try and limp it home, she calls back few minutes later and says something is really wrong with the car you need to come and get us. So I round up a truck and trailer and go pick them up. Upgraded my AAA roadside after that to the RV 200 miles.

Anyways 98,000 miles and it has a rod knock and is in limp mode. Never thought that would happen to me or my car. Pretty good about the maintenance.

Anyways, just got back from picking the Sorento up from the dealer after three weeks. One week to diagnose and open a case with Kia, One week to order parts, and third week to swap out the engine and do a couple additional recalls. I picked the car up today. Bill was zero! Car has a new engine with lifetime warranty and is good as new. :) They also provided a free loaner car for weeks two and three after the replacement engine was authorized.

Had a business F450 truck with the 6.0 diesel issue 15 years ago and was royally screwed on that deal. I was thinking the same thing was going to happen with this Kia deal. Kia stepped up and made it right. Didn't have to provide any records of maintenance or anything.

Anybody else have a vehicle under 6 years old and under 100,000 miles that was no longer under warranty and needed a new engine? How did it turn out for you?

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
2011 BMW X-5 lost a lower bearing at 83,000 miles. $11,000 out of pocket for a rebuilt engine. Still way cheaper than a new car, or even another pre-owned!

Short trips are tough on engines it seems. Need to heat up that engine oil, and short trips don't do it.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Wifes car which she doesnt drive much is a 16 Hyundia Tucson limited. 30K on the odometer and its been starting from a dead start w a bit of a hesitation, I brought it in and they diagnose after a day an issue w the tranny and 5 days later a new tranny is in. $0 out of pocket and rental car after diagnosis! Running like new again.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Bought my wife a 2015 Sorento three years ago, it was a lease return with 36,000 miles on it. Do all the maintenance myself and it now has 98,000 miles on it. My wife works right down the street but my daughter and her like to drive.

Other than one trip to dealer for a ECM flash recall a few years ago it's never been back till recently. Wife calls me from Banning 50 miles away, there is something wrong with the car and it's making noise. I tell her to try and limp it home, she calls back few minutes later and says something is really wrong with the car you need to come and get us. So I round up a truck and trailer and go pick them up. Upgraded my AAA roadside after that to the RV 200 miles.

Anyways 98,000 miles and it has a rod knock and is in limp mode. Never though that would happen to me or my car. Pretty good about the maintenance.

Anyways, just got back from picking the Sorento up from the dealer after three weeks. One week to diagnose and open a case with Kia, One week to order parts, and third week to swap out the engine and do a couple additional recalls. I picked the car up today. Bill was zero! Car has a new engine with lifetime warranty and is good as new. :) They also provided a free loaner car for weeks two and three after the replacement engine was authorized.

Had a business F450 truck with the 6.0 diesel issue 15 years ago and was royally screwed on that deal. I was thinking the same think was going to happen with this Kia deal. Kia stepped up and made it right. Didn't have to provide any records of maintenance or anything.

Anybody else have a vehicle under 6 years old and under 100,000 miles that was no longer under warranty and needed a new engine? How did it turn out for you?
Kia has a special policy on the Sorento engine warranty for a couple years...2015 being one of them.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Kia has a special policy on the Sorento engine warranty for a couple years...2015 being one of them.

I was aware of that, in fact the ecm flash was related if I remember correctly. Never thought my car would have an issue. Just assumed it was the cars that weren’t maintained. I was expecting the worst and pleasantly surprised when I picked it up today. Read somewhere they had 2.9 billion in expenses to date for the engine issues.

boatpi

Reaction score
Kia had some engine oiling issues, long warranty, we have a Sportage. No issues so far. Add to that, I have owned many cars, maybe 100. In recent years I could not buy from private party a late model car, just certified from a dealer, 100K warranty.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
We needed a gofor car for the company. Leased a new Hyundai Elantra GT in 2016. The lease was up, but it only had 14000 miles on it, so bought it. Other than oil changes, have done nothing to it. Really well built. Take a look at Kia and Hyundai luxury SUV and the Genesis sedan. Mercedes feel at half the cost.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Anyways 98,000 miles and it has a rod knock and is in limp mode. Never thought that would happen to me or my car. Pretty good about the maintenance.

Had a business F450 truck with the 6.0 diesel issue 15 years ago and was royally screwed on that deal. I was thinking the same thing was going to happen with this Kia deal. Kia stepped up and made it right. Didn't have to provide any records of maintenance or anything.

My dad just had this same issue with his commuter Hyundai (doesn't like to put miles on his Vette) was replaced in under a week. Bill was zero. They have some sort of recall on some of their engines. Im willing to bet they're the same

I'm not a particular fan of how the vehicles look, (and that its not a Ford) but can respect their attention to taking care of their end users. No other car company can claim that

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We just bought one of the Kids the Kia Seltos AWD.
Prices in Vegas are considerably less than Reno - Sparks.
Vegas easy to find the mid-range equipped and get a good discount.
Up North they are all loaded and hardly any price negotiation. Was a little sceptical with all the engine issues reported in the WSJ that were hurting the parent companies earnings.

Nice car. I'm rolling the dice they fixed their issues for 2021.
Can't be worse the Honda CRV we bought the DIL for $14.000 more money. Oil dilution, grenading suspension, electrical, starter, alternator and other issues Honda doesn't want to fix. Honda is a bastard in covering warranty costs. Honda just won't or they find a way to charge for something related that isn't covered but essential for the warranty fix. Toyota no better with warranty.

Kia Seltos.
2021-kia-seltos-drive-104-1565117862.jpg

Last edited:

redone76

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to our Sorrento. We had to wait 3 months for a new engine because they were out of stock everywhere. This was June of last year though. I take it to the dealership for oil changes just to cover my ass if this engine shits the bed. Granted my wife doesnt drive far so its only twice a year

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Not surprised, Kia/Hyundai are legendary with their warranty plans and coverage. My boss's wife had one of the little shit box cube Kia's. Same deal, like 99,000 miles and the engine grenades, replaced with zero out of pocket.

I wish the interiors held up better. They are great when new but 5 years in the cheapness shows.

I've though about leasing their SUV, they advertise something $200 a month, then be done with it before it gets thread bare.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
I bought a 2015 sorento with 25k miles in 16 and kept taking it back for the knock sensor and the final time I was told it needed a new engine. I wasn't having that and pitched a fit so they ended up putting me in a brand new 2017 Sorento at the same price and payment as the used one. There was a recall on another sensor so I took it in and now there's a lifetime warranty on just the engine. It was for my wife but she'll be working from home until 2021 so I took it over and $30 a week compared to $30 a day in my truck is nice, it's been good for 61k so far 👍

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Anybody had any experience with the Stinger? I just like their styling and there is some performance there as well.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk