WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kickboxing

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My close friend was totally into this back in the late 70's early 80's...brutal sport. Anyone else watching Glory Kickboxing Event's?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Nope, but I did watch K-1 before UFC got big. I like the tournament format. Once gyms open up my wife wants to take kickboxing, and I’ll probably start Jiu Jitsu.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I trained for a few years in my early 20’s. It turns out I don’t really like being kicked in the head. After a few hard shots, I decided to put all my energy into jiu jitsu. Now that the kids are getting older I’m thinking about jumping back into it. Only problem is I don’t half ass anything. I know if I start training again I’ll start competing again and I’m not sure that’s what I need in my life at this very moment

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I love it, my favorite kickboxer was old school Ramon Dekkers. Check out a highlight on youtube, he was an animal.
I trained Karate, MMA and a little bit of Jiu jitsu. Jiu jitsu is the way to go, hardest workouts I ever did. Learn some striking to go with it and then carry a knife and a couple guns and you should be fairly safe nowadays LOL...
Started my son in martial arts at 5 and it has helped him tremendously as a student, athlete and person.
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I trained for a few years in my early 20’s. It turns out I don’t really like being kicked in the head. After a few hard shots, I decided to put all my energy into jiu jitsu. Now that the kids are getting older I’m thinking about jumping back into it. Only problem is I don’t half ass anything. I know if I start training again I’ll start competing again and I’m not sure that’s what I need in my life at this very moment
Where did you train? I know you’re in Norco now, but any good schools in OC? Thinking Team Oyama as it’s in Irvine.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Where did you train? I know you’re in Norco now, but any good schools in OC? Thinking Team Oyama as it’s in Irvine.
I was training out of Gracie Barra in corona. Now I train with hidden hand jiu jitsu but it’s been at least 8 months since I’ve been on the mats. I have a few buddies that train in oc let me see where they are at.

DWC

Reaction score
Do it now before everything starts creaking when you get up in the morning. You’ll learn more about yourself and your game in 1 tourney than in a year of training.
5009E5CF-00E6-40CB-9B4C-C19B9B86E3C8.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
Depends on your style. If it was me I’d check out art of jiu jitsu. More progressive school with some high level teachers/students.

3D4ED560-2C03-46C0-87FC-BF73219D04D3.jpeg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Do it now before everything starts creaking when you get up in the morning. You’ll learn more about yourself and your game in 1 tourney than in a year of training.
View attachment 924086
That’s cool! I have a silver medal from nationals at the La convention center. Maybe 2011 or 12. It was One of my first tournaments as a white belt. Did decent at another tournament in Irvine but the others not so well

DWC

Reaction score
That’s cool! I have a silver medal from nationals at the La convention center. Maybe 2011 or 12. It was One of my first tournaments as a white belt. Did decent at another tournament in Irvine but the others not so well
One of the most nerve racking things I’ve done. Tough mentally and physically getting ready. First tourney i lost 0-0. Dude was 6” taller with long ass legs. He pulled guard and i couldn’t break it to save my life. They gave him an advantage because i grabbed his shorts at some point. Last one i beat a 10th planet guy with Eddie Bravo coaching him a foot away. I had just bought his book so i had an idea of everything he was going to try. Fun times for sure.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Depends on your style. If it was me I’d check out art of jiu jitsu. More progressive school with some high level teachers/students.

View attachment 924088
Not too far. 5.6 miles. It looks like Gracie Barra HQ is in Irvine as well. Is it multitudes better to go to a specialized school? Wife doesn’t want to do BJJ, but I’d like to get her some sort of training. “Kickboxing to start”

DWC

Reaction score
Not too far. 5.6 miles. It looks like Gracie Barra HQ is in Irvine as well. Is it multitudes better to go to a specialized school? Wife doesn’t want to do BJJ, but I’d like to get her some sort of training. “Kickboxing to start”
To start with no, not at all necessary to go to a specialized school. As long as the jiu jitsu/grappling teacher knows what he’s doing and doesn’t teach bad habits. Try a few and see what you like. Every school is a little different. From the teaching, attitude and how they treat new people. My first couple schools were no-gi/mma style. It’s a different crowd and different feeling than a traditional BJJ/GI school. You’re more likely to go to work with a black eye in a MMA type gym. Your fingers will never be the same after training in the GI for awhile.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The Gracie barra in corona also had a Muay Thai instructor. Similar

playdeep

Reaction score
Kickboxing is good shit...
Started Muay Thai well into my 50's.
Did it more for cardio/flexibility/range of motion.
Got the girlfriend into it.She's 58...Eats,breathes,sleeps kickboxing.
She watches YouTube video's nightly...cracks me up.
Find a reputable coach who's a stickler for technique.
I was fortunate.Got to learn basics from 2 time amateur national champion.(Nico Nocero)