WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kids 1st car....

Tooned Up

Reaction score
So I’m on the hunt for my daughter’s 1st car. I am so over looking at Craigslist junk and peoples idea of good condition. It amazes me how I ask very specific questions as to what the car’s condition is, yet when I show up I can literally drive by and not even get out to look. I hate when people waste my time!! That being said... does anybody have anything they are looking to sell? I’m looking to stay in the $5k range and do not want anything that needs work. I’m open to brand and model as long as it’s something worth while. Anything out there???

gqchris

Reaction score
So I’m on the hunt for my daughter’s 1st car. I am so over looking at Craigslist junk and peoples idea of good condition. It amazes me how I ask very specific questions as to what the car’s condition is, yet when I show up I can literally drive by and not even get out to look. I hate when people waste my time!! That being said... does anybody have anything they are looking to sell? I’m looking to stay in the $5k range and do not want anything that needs work. I’m open to brand and model as long as it’s something worth while. Anything out there???

I have noticed in life that my idea of CLEAN and tight is NO WHERE near other peoples idea. Even stuff I have bought that is advertised as PERFECT is always a treasure hunt to find the real problem. Drives me crazy also. Good luck on the hunt, hopefully an inmate has a commuter here they are looking to sell.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
$5k and “needs no work” is a tall order.

You have some work ahead of you.
I’ve been close on a few gems from Sun City as I live in AZ, but on both occasions I was the 2nd guy in line as I watched the 1st drive away with it. I’m willing to travel to pick something up for sure. Years ago I used to love the chase of buying a car, but holy shit how times have changed!!!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I recommend a 4 cylinder what ever it is. toyota, Honda etc. good mileage, a lot safer. My X girlfriend gave her son her Tahoe as his 1st car. Total 'Goober' of a kid, ZERO concept of anything mechanical, let alone any concept of reality. Straight A's w/ less than zero in the common sense dept.. So she put one of those apps on his phone to track his ass . . . 1st week she clocks him doing 85 down a city street. He got a tongue lashing, that was it. Second week she clocks him doing 96 down PCH with other kids in the car (which he wasn't supposed to have until after the 1st year), he got a light restriction for a few days. A few months later he wraps the thing around a tree w/ 5 other kidiots in the car . . . slid it out in the rain being a throttle jockey. Totaled it, luckily just bumps & bruises. ZERO punishment. . . . I bailed on her after that one, I couldn't take the the fact that she wouldn't punish him for the consequences of his actions. Could've killed someone ELSES kid. Irresponsible IMO.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Bought my daughter a gently used car from the dealer. About double my original budget but no regrets. Damn insurance is what is killing me. Then starting college next year. 😐

Last edited:

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
My son is going to be selling his very reliable Toyota Matrix that is in your price range is you are interested.

DC-88

Reaction score
Reliable stick shift with air bags was our hit list for 1st car/trucks. Gotta start her right with a manual . Something like this maybe..

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Used Vehicle prices have gone up in tandem with new vehicle prices.

Lexus es300 is common in that price range, usually a grandma car so not beat up.

The first car for 3 out of 4 of our kids was a stick shift. They were cheaper to buy because nobody can drive them... but sticks are getting rare, new or used.

patience....

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I think the newer Mazda’s are a really decent car for a reasonable price. Perfect chick car
My youngest is in a Mazda 3, we picked it up used for just a little more than the ops price range.
We needed to do a battery and a few months later struts. Other than that it’s been fairly solid. Oh, I had to do a power window switch, easy peasy deal.

adam909

Reaction score
I know the struggle.. My daughter is 15 1/2 and ive been doing the search.. The best thing is to be patient and really not care if you find one or not.. I have picked up a couple work beaters in the past and I can tell right away in there responses or the pictures they posted if its worth it or not.. No english, pass.. Ghetto pictures and slang in the email, pass.. I look for origanal owners and garage kept. I always ask to see a picture of the title before I take a look. Alot of salvage titles as well as people that dont have the title on them..

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Reliable stick shift with air bags was our hit list for 1st car/trucks. Gotta start her right with a manual . Something like this maybe..
I put my daughter in a 3/4 ton truck. I wanted her to get used to driving a larger vehicle and have more lug nuts then many cars on the road. I wish it could have been a stick though.

Of all the Friends of my 2 kids, only 1 drives a stick.

Sent From Tapatalk

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Used Vehicle prices have gone up in tandem with new vehicle prices.

Lexus es300 is common in that price range, usually a grandma car so not beat up.
I bought my 2nd daughter 2 ES330’s. The 1st she wrecked 3 days after she got her license, and the 2nd was hit by a drunk driver parked in front of my house!! The wife said a Lexus is a had no.... LOL

Reactions: DWC

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I know the struggle.. My daughter is 15 1/2 and ive been doing the search.. The best thing is to be patient and really not care if you find one or not.. I have picked up a couple work beaters in the past and I can tell right away in there responses or the pictures they posted if its worth it or not.. No english, pass.. Ghetto pictures and slang in the email, pass.. I look for origanal owners and garage kept. I always ask to see a picture of the title before I take a look. Alot of salvage titles as well as people that dont have the title on them..
We are 100% on the same page on this. I think that’s why it’s taken so long to find anything!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I put my daughter in a 3/4 ton truck. I wanted her to get used to driving a larger vehicle and have more lug nuts then many cars on the road. I wish it could have been a stick though.

Of all the Friends of my 2 kids, only 1 drives a stick.

Sent From Tapatalk
I wanted mine to get a truck as well. I had her driving my dually by 14 and when she got her license I let her take it to school a few times.
She didn’t want something that large. Or thirsty, lol.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I wanted mine to get a truck as well. I had her driving my dually by 14 and when she got her license I let her take it to school a few times.
She didn’t want something that large. Or thirsty, lol.
Yea, the school parking lots are tight. Hers is a short bed, extra cab, so not too big. The GM 6.0L is thirsty also, but not as bad as a 454 (assuming you have an old school dually).

Sent From Tapatalk

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Hmm, my kids are too young to think too hard about this yet, but here’s my though process:

I’ve driven some small crap cars over the years because they make great commuters (keeps the miles of my vehicles I like). Last one was a Honda Fit 5spd (manuals are always more fun and generally cheaper, kids today can’t drive em). Bought for $3400 drove for three years, added +30k miles, sold for $3200. Never paid for anything besides oil and a set of spark plugs (and got 40+ mpg).

I’ll drive something small, shitty and tin, but wouldn’t put my kids behind the wheel. New driver, surrounded by other new drivers, I’d be looking for something big/heavy. Used Tahoe, Suburban, 1500 truck.

Would rather buy gas for a guzzler and have my kids walk away from an accident.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
You guys with 10 or so year old kids, buy yourself a new daily driver like a civic or corolla. Five or six years down the road it will be their first car. Worked twice for me, 02 and 07 civics. 02 is still being used. 07 was totaled, no injuries.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
You guys with 10 or so year old kids, buy yourself a new daily driver like a civic or corolla. Five or six years down the road it will be their first car. Worked twice for me, 02 and 07 civics. 02 is still being used. 07 was totaled, no injuries.

We have a 10 year old...my wife's current SUV will be he first car. We will also have a beater somewhere, hell likely on the side of the havasu house for insurance purposes when she hits that age. Same as my parents did for me

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I like single cab full size pickups. Sometimes you can find them with 6cyl. Bigger then a Honda, Toyota etc. all the safety stuff, kids can’t bring a bunch of friends along to distract them. You can lower them, put wheels etc cheaply to make them look cool. If you have to redo a bench seat to make it look nice it’s cheap.

As mentioned before my parents just sold a mint 2004 Lexus ES300. My mom drive it, my dad took amazing care of it, the back seat had been sat in 7 times. Those are good cars to find. 5K 6K they are out there and will run forever.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I like single cab full size pickups. Sometimes you can find them with 6cyl. Bigger then a Honda, Toyota etc. all the safety stuff, kids can’t bring a bunch of friends along to distract them. You can lower them, put wheels etc cheaply to make them look cool. If you have to redo a bench seat to make it look nice it’s cheap.

As mentioned before my parents just sold a mint 2004 Lexus ES300. My mom drive it, my dad took amazing care of it, the back seat had been sat in 7 times. Those are good cars to find. 5K 6K they are out there and will run forever.
That would be my choice. Less passengers the better. Even if your not worried about the other kids for moral reasons, the liability nowadays is scary enough. If they are not family, they can catch their own ride

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

JayBreww

Reaction score
Getting ready to sell my wife’s Hyundai Elantra. 2015 with like 85,000 miles. Gets 35 MPG. We have the title, just upgrading before the baby arrives. Probably looking around $8,000 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
I bought my oldest (15) a 97 Suburban 4wd, Loaded w/ leather about 6 months back. The whole rig was really clean, old man daily driver, with 200k on it. I paid $2000, we put a level kit on it, cut and polished it, cut the cats off and put in a flowmaster and used an ebay window film kit to tint the windows. Great learning experiences for him. We did all the work together. I originally bought it so he could bomb around the dairy and farm, we let him drive it (with us- in NM they get their learners permit at 15) to wrestling and such.
One of my guys on the dairy was in a pickle last week and needed a ride pretty bad, knowing what we put into it, and that I'm not going to put my kid in a road side waiting room, the guy offered me 4k cash. I talked to Carson about it, he was like " ya, flip it and we'll find another something, fixing it up was fun!" Made my heart happy!
So the hunt is on for the next "something". :cool:

Joe mama

Reaction score
I think the newer Mazda’s are a really decent car for a reasonable price. Perfect chick car
Both my mom and girlfriend have the cx5 84k on one and 94k on the other. These cars are basically trouble free. They get tires and oil changes and just keep going.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
There are still a ton of the VW buyback TDIs on the market for cheap, golfs and jettas especially, even some audi A3s. Most have Really low miles, can find 6 speeds easily (preffered over the DCT), great engines that last forever. Lots of safety features

Realistic low 40s mpg average.

Cdog

Reaction score
Both my mom and girlfriend have the cx5 84k on one and 94k on the other. These cars are basically trouble free. They get tires and oil changes and just keep going.

After seeing a Miata roll 3 times, almost come to a stop then roll and restart to go and finish the last 4 laps in a race without going a lap down......I’m a believer

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
After seeing a Miata roll 3 times, almost come to a stop then roll and restart to go and finish the last 4 laps in a race without going a lap down......I’m a believer

My current 2017 Toyota Yaris commuter car is a rebadged Mazda 2. Not a bad little car at all. The 6 speed manual is fun to drive. I put on some better wheels and tires and had some aftermarket sway bars imported from Japan.

They are discontinuing them this year though. 2020 was the first year of the 4 door hatch.

4635F87C-8435-496F-9E03-C9186E9060D7.jpeg

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I bought a Ranger xcab for my son thinking along the lines of limiting the amount of friends he could take along. Took out the rear fold down seats, filled half of the xcab with sound equipment. Took the bench out and replaced with buckets. Turns out you can still fit 5 teenagers in the damn thing! We also had a Scion XB that was my daughters first, my son drove that while we were finishing his Ranger. I don't remember how many he said he had in that, but it was way more than 5 it had seatbelts for. thankful for no accidents or tickets.
2015-08-29 16.50.05.jpg

67Charger

Reaction score
EXACTLY what we're doing for my oldest daughter. She's 13, and her first car will be my wife's commuter 2014 Ford Focus 4cyl. We've put 125k on it so far, and it should be at about 165 - 170 by the time my daughter gets it. Flawlessly reliable except for that silly torque-matic whatever trans they put in there. Works fine but a little jerky and needs shifter motor replacement every 75k. Not expensive or hard to change. Not much resale in a high-mile commuter, but perfect for a new driver. Lots of airbags, no hidden damage, reliable, vanilla.

Halvecto

Reaction score
There are still a ton of the VW buyback TDIs on the market for cheap, golfs and jettas especially, even some audi A3s. Most have Really low miles, can find 6 speeds easily (preffered over the DCT), great engines that last forever. Lots of safety features

Yep. TDI is a good bang for the overall cost. Back before dieselgate, I found a clean 5-speed Golf TDI. I wanted a manual for my daughter in order to limit her ability to text and drive. Keeping her feet and hands busy made her a better driver. Gas mileage and insurance cost made it a great first car. Wish I would have done the same for the first two kids when they started driving, especially my son. I'm convinced manual makes the kids better, more alert drivers. I sold the Golf when she went away to school and regret it. Fun to drive, cheap to own and easy to maneuver. The older models are heavier and feel safer than a light Toyota, etc..

Backlash

Reaction score
Get any GM truck you can find with an LS engine or the 4.3. They are reliable, easy to repair and simple to work on. Won't break the bank when you buy it and you can teach them the simple skills to vehicle maintenance without he need for a computer.

sintax

Reaction score
Turns out you can still fit 5 teenagers in the damn thing!

you'd lose your shit if you heard how many people we crammed into a buddies VW Cabriolet when I was in highschool. Looking back.... not wise

yard dog

Reaction score
Here is pictures of the Ranger , ac , auto transmission, 4cyl , new tires, Sony Radio system, 2011 yr
E96EEFC4-D123-4D62-92B3-41F996EC1F8E.jpeg
BC6A254C-E11A-4C85-ABC9-EB203494D881.jpeg
4771E734-A272-4823-B615-2ED5EA95A9E4.jpeg
FE90A8B5-37B2-452D-BB26-8CC99DBB2EB9.jpeg
E96EEFC4-D123-4D62-92B3-41F996EC1F8E.jpeg
BC6A254C-E11A-4C85-ABC9-EB203494D881.jpeg
4771E734-A272-4823-B615-2ED5EA95A9E4.jpeg
FE90A8B5-37B2-452D-BB26-8CC99DBB2EB9.jpeg

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Neighbors kid has some sort of single cab chevy. I saw 3 kids jump out of the cab, grab skate boards out of the bed. They skated to the house and two rode in the truck. All depends on the kid.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip. Plan on picking up a commuter car soon...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Airbags make sense for new drivers.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
This was My Son Joshs first car, 408 windor C4 , We built it together when He was a junior in HS , bought a "hulk and worked it from there , looking back it was a lot of car for a kid ;)
IMG_6693.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I recommend a 4 cylinder what ever it is. toyota, Honda etc. good mileage, a lot safer. My X girlfriend gave her son her Tahoe as his 1st car. Total 'Goober' of a kid, ZERO concept of anything mechanical, let alone any concept of reality. Straight A's w/ less than zero in the common sense dept.. So she put one of those apps on his phone to track his ass . . . 1st week she clocks him doing 85 down a city street. He got a tongue lashing, that was it. Second week she clocks him doing 96 down PCH with other kids in the car (which he wasn't supposed to have until after the 1st year), he got a light restriction for a few days. A few months later he wraps the thing around a tree w/ 5 other kidiots in the car . . . slid it out in the rain being a throttle jockey. Totaled it, luckily just bumps & bruises. ZERO punishment. . . . I bailed on her after that one, I couldn't take the the fact that she wouldn't punish him for the consequences of his actions. Could've killed someone ELSES kid. Irresponsible IMO.

You sir are a wise man.

👍