WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kids and drugs.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
At my kids junior high last year, a girl brought a vape pen. She knew it was a THC product, but didn't know where from. Her and one other girl went from high in the restroom, to unconscious in a couple minutes. The "juice" tested positive for fentanyl. Both girls were lucky, and made it through ok. Last night my youngest and I were just talking about them. One cleaned up, the other just got expelled for smoking pot yesterday. My son was in the office with some of the wrestlers, getting ready to go to a meet. He heard the mom balling, and said, "why are you being so mean to a little girl?"...Really? WTF?
My son was shaking his head telling me.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I can’t imagine what a parent of school age kids and their kids must encounter today. I’m an old F. I lived thru and experienced the 60s. I see Denver has now legalized shrooms. So, how has the legalization of some items, pot etc, going so far? Undoubtedly, there’s less people jailed. But, how’s the overall affect going for our country? And I don’t include those Narcan vending machines. Those vending machines are like providing more fire extinguishers to a neighborhood full of pyro maniacs. Sorry, pyro maniacs is likely no longer a PC term.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
.08 BAC is the very well known limitation for the driver, auto or boat operation. What is the tested limitation for, BDC, Blood Drug Content. Is there even such a stat? If so, it’s not well known. What say the numerous LEOs here? Yes, on scene visual rapid eye tests for nystagmus etc. can be cause for further testing. Potentially followed by a body fluid analysis. What are the legal limits of that body fluid analysis for drugs? Is there a number?

BabyRay

Reaction score
.08 BAC is the very well known limitation for the driver, auto or boat operation. What is the tested limitation for, BDC, Blood Drug Content. Is there even such a stat? If so, it’s not well known. What say the numerous LEOs here? Yes, on scene visual rapid eye tests for nystagmus etc. can be cause for further testing. Potentially followed by a body fluid analysis. What are the legal limits of that body fluid analysis for drugs? Is there a number?
I don’t know about other states, but in Washington the legal blood THC limit is 5 nanograms. One of the Seattle news shows ran a test with 3 people smoking and driving on a closed course, and a State Patrol officer observing. All 3 people were at or near 20 nanograms before the officer could detect any problem with their reaction times or driving ability.

Smoke weed tonight and it’s possible to test over the legal limit of 5 nanograms tomorrow, particularly if you’re a regular user, even though you show no signs of impairment, as THC is stored in fat cells. True story.

Socalx09

Reaction score
As soon as I heard, “breaking news” on the tv and they mentioned a school, I feared another school shooting. Then, they mentioned the overdose, and I was like what!! Very relieved that it wasn’t a school shooting.

Backlash

Reaction score
This will be a slippery slope that will absolutely impact our youth. What a sad state of affairs. 😢

Ultra...Good

Reaction score

Lady that works for me in the summer is a full time teacher. Her students have brought pot to school. Stole her purse. One of the students father stole her car. Not that any of that is surprising now a days. Except that she teaches 2nd grade. What is that, 6 maybe 7 years old?

The problem with pot, particularly edibles is that they look like candy. Quite a few kids have accidentally consumed. But then again, look how many drinks have alcohol in it but they look like soda.

4Waters

Reaction score
When they were pushing for the legalization of pot the news interviewed multiple people over a few months that said you can't overdose on pot, so which is it

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
When they were pushing for the legalization of pot the news interviewed multiple people over a few months that said you can't overdose on pot, so which is it
Pot nowadays has such a high concentration of THC. Nothing like it used to be. And the edibles and vaping crap are supposedly really potent too. It used to be that you could smoke pot for days and all you would get was a sore throat and sticky fingers. Nowadays I guess its really powerful.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I point out drug users and their public life styles daily to my kids. Yeah yeah.... I know... some of you think it's fine, use, and have a successful life. But that is not the view and side effects I see daily. Kids start this shit, and unless they have a clear understanding of what happens to users A LOT, they could step into a situation that will change their life forever.

I can't be there to protect them 24/7, but at least I can make sure they are informed.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
We have to import H-1B Visa employees here because they’re smarter and work for less. Maybe we should stop focusing on making our population dumber and start focusing on competing with China, India and the rest of the world who don’t care so much about legalizing pedophilia, drugs, abortion and the rest. The moral decline and stupidity of this countrys population are its greatest contributors to its surely eventual demise.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
I point out drug users and their public life styles daily to my kids. Yeah yeah.... I know... some of you think it's fine, use, and have a successful life. But that is not the view and side effects I see daily. Kids start this shit, and unless they have a clear understanding of what happens to users A LOT, they could step into a situation that will change their life forever.

I can't be there to protect them 24/7, but at least I can make sure they are informed.
We do the same with our kids. My oldest has her shit together better than most people my age so I have no concerns with her. My 17 and 18 year olds are another story. All we can do is educate them and hope that they listen to at least some of what we say. My son is 17 and has always been the biggest test. We caught him trying to smoke cigarette butts out of the ashtray in our backyard when he was in 6th grade... We don't smoke but we have friends that do so we had an ashtray out back. We caught him with a vape that someone "gave him" when he was in 9th grade. I have talked to him over and over about addiction, and the effects of weed on a young brain. I urge him to educate himself about drug and alcohol use. Yet just last week, I find out he asked my 28y/o nephew to buy him a vape during our Thanksgiving get together. Kids will be kids but these days, there are so many things parents have to worry about. Fentanyl seems to be found in every "drug". It doesn't take much of that shit to kill you either.

For the record, I am not apposed to recreational weed use. I believe it to be better than alcohol IMO. However, I do know that the effects it has on the brain that is still forming does make me want to keep my teenage kids from using.
I have tried a few things over my years as has my wife, we tend to drink our fair share on the weekends so we are no angels by any standard.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
We do the same with our kids. My oldest has her shit together better than most people my age so I have no concerns with her. My 17 and 18 year olds are another story. All we can do is educate them and hope that they listen to at least some of what we say. My son is 17 and has always been the biggest test. We caught him trying to smoke cigarette butts out of the ashtray in our backyard when he was in 6th grade... We don't smoke but we have friends that do so we had an ashtray out back. We caught him with a vape that someone "gave him" when he was in 9th grade. I have talked to him over and over about addiction, and the effects of weed on a young brain. I urge him to educate himself about drug and alcohol use. Yet just last week, I find out he asked my 28y/o nephew to buy him a vape during our Thanksgiving get together. Kids will be kids but these days, there are so many things parents have to worry about. Fentanyl seems to be found in every "drug". It doesn't take much of that shit to kill you either.

For the record, I am not apposed to recreational weed use. I believe it to be better than alcohol IMO. However, I do know that the effects it has on the brain that is still forming does make me want to keep my teenage kids from using.
I have tried a few things over my years as has my wife, we tend to drink our fair share on the weekends so we are no angels by any standard.
I'm far from an angel and drink alcohol like most others. Well, that is if you consider I've been "drunk" maybe once in the last 5 or 6 years and my go to is either Bud light or Coors light. 😂

For clarification here, I'm all for people going out and completely destroying themselves if that is what they chose to do. I'm also for them being accountable for their actions at the time of their use, and all of the issues it brings in the future. In otherwords, don't expect me or anybody else to dig them out of a hole that they knowingly went into. The information available these days takes the unknown factor out of all of it, and I hold people accountable.

Weed is a funny one. I recognize it may have some actual legit benefits, but the marketing and mindset is complete bullshit. It is put forth as a wonder drug, and there have been some pretty spirited debates about it's public use and being around it on this very sight. I was the bad guy opposed to people publicly smoking weed in the channel next to mine, or anybody's kids, and the defense of "it's just like alcohol" was about all they had. We all know that is bullshit, and secondhand smoke from weed is no different than secondhand smoke from tobacco. But, the weed warriors don't seem to grasp that concept.

I'll get off my soapbox. All you can do in this age is make sure the people you care for are informed and go into decisions in life with a bit of knowledge.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Give them some head phones and dark side of the moon and let them kick back. They'll be fine.some will use again some won't.
And some money for the vending machines. Or order them a pizza.

bonesfab

Reaction score
if they go to the hospital, i could just imagine the bill for treatment.......
bag of cheetos- $1200
box of ho ho's-$1800
gallon of water- $750
admin fees- $3800
You forgot the medivac chopper. 85k.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Not kids but I know of four different dogs that have consumed their owner’s edibles. One of my adult friends had to explain to his mom what was really wrong with the dog,… twice.

hallett21

Reaction score
I don’t think you can OD on weed that’s clean. Pretty sure you’d just pass out and have a rough/foggy few days.

The deadly part comes in when they lace it with something

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Biggest problem I see, just today I was walking out of the bank, the last guy in line absolutely wreaked of weed. I had seen him drive up and I'm sure he will drive away. That's the problem I see, people think it's ok to drive on the weed.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Biggest problem I see, just today I was walking out of the bank, the last guy in line absolutely wreaked of weed. I had seen him drive up and I'm sure he will drive away. That's the problem I see, people think it's ok to drive on the weed.
Where I live they will give you an owi for that. Pretty sure any amount in your system will get you that.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

Growing up, my buddy's dad was 3rd badge below Sherman Block. He always had a drawer full of goods at his home. He was not crazy nor did he brainwash his kids to just say no. Kids grew up and are all great.
Adding anything to a crazy person's life will throw it askew. My ex prescribed more meth(adhd meds) under the guise of a prescription than was imaginable. Meth in a lab vs meth in a bathtub. Almost the same shit when it boils down to it.
The fucked up homeless people on the street are 1. Mentally fucked up to begin with and number 2 mentally fucked up to begin with.
Alcohol and heroin have a very strong history with homelessnes. Now add fentynl i to the mix and yippee.
It ain't the weed and your kids will eventually not believe what you are selling them. Reefer madness died a long time ago.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Growing up, my buddy's dad was 3rd badge below Sherman Block. He always had a drawer full of goods at his home. He was not crazy nor did he brainwash his kids to just say no. Kids grew up and are all great.
Adding anything to a crazy person's life will throw it askew. My ex prescribed more meth(adhd meds) under the guise of a prescription than was imaginable. Meth in a lab vs meth in a bathtub. Almost the same shit when it boils down to it.
The fucked up homeless people on the street are 1. Mentally fucked up to begin with and number 2 mentally fucked up to begin with.
Alcohol and heroin have a very strong history with homelessnes. Now add fentynl i to the mix and yippee.
It ain't the weed and your kids will eventually not believe what you are selling them. Reefer madness died a long time ago.
Reefer madness... lol. I'm pretty sure you have the wrong impression of what I'm getting at here, but that is cool. It's all about perspective and knowing what to look for. I can spot them a mile away, and I'm not worried about spotting someone on weed. The only thing I would point out to them about someone weed related is what a dumbfuck they are for smoking that crap in public and exposing those around them to it just because it's weed mannnnnnnnn... It's natural and cures all ailments😂

True story, driving through L.A. and my mom is looking at all the pretty store fronts and commenting on how the community there really likes to decorate their buildings. I politely explained to A LOT of those very business that were decorated all pretty and shit were massage parlors with happy endings and human trafficking. Again, it's what you know, now always just what you can see. 👍

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Reefer madness... lol. I'm pretty sure you have the wrong impression of what I'm getting at here, but that is cool. It's all about perspective and knowing what to look for. I can spot them a mile away, and I'm not worried about spotting someone on weed. The only thing I would point out to them about someone weed related is what a dumbfuck they are for smoking that crap in public and exposing those around them to it just because it's weed mannnnnnnnn... It's natural and cures all ailments😂

True story, driving through L.A. and my mom is looking at all the pretty store fronts and commenting on how the community there really likes to decorate their buildings. I politely explained to A LOT of those very business that were decorated all pretty and shit were massage parlors with happy endings and human trafficking. Again, it's what you know, now always just what you can see. 👍
We all know tequila solves everything and we have seen that!!

HST4ME

Reaction score
I remember spending $29 at Taco Bell once

DLC

Reaction score
Alcohol is difficult enough, hard to believe anything else…

I have NO idea about pot, edibles etc….

and
it’s the gate way! So they say

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Alcohol is difficult enough, hard to believe anything else…

I have NO idea about pot, edibles etc….

and
it’s the gate way! So they say
Supposedly some of the edibles and the vaping can be very strong. No experience with either one. I haven't smoked it in 15 years and stuff was getting really potent back then. Can only imagine what it is like now. I cannot, will not touch it now because I have a CDL and am just to old for that stuff anymore. Where I live it is illegal and the 2nd time you get caught they can charge it as a felony. I don't want any part of that either. I can walk over a bridge into Michigan and it is legal there, but not where I live. Even if they did make it legal and I did not have to worry about randoms for the license, I just don't even want it anymore.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The headline is click-baity…I equate OD with serious injury or death.

These kids appear to have had “I’m high AF!” paranoia.
I’m sure the CDC will change the definition of OD to fit whatever narrative is in vogue right now.