WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kids First Quad?

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Looking at maybe getting my 3yo girl a quad to ride around the in-laws farm in Iowa. Looking at one of these Hawk 110s that a local power sports dealer has a bunch of. I see a lot of these “Chinese” atvs, they all look to be about the same.

Anyone ever mess with one of these?

https://www.vitacci.com/atvs/hawk-110cc/

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I bought an Eton years back......lil cheaper than the Hondas etc....and you can get parts. Worked well.

socalrzr

Reaction score
My kids started off with a polaris 50. You can find some good deals on a used one during the off season.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Just picked up this one for my 4 year old girl for Christmas. Polaris outlaw 50. Paid $900 on Facebook buddy bought the same one a month earlier and paid $1500.
IMG_0420.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outboard_256

Reaction score
Stay away from the Chinese ones. My friend bought 4 of these Chinese quads because it was cheaper than one name brand quad. He has a small farm and 2 small kids. Didn't want to plop down $2000+ for a Polaris. Spent less than $800 for the 4 quads new. He plan was each kid gets a quad with a backup one when it eventually breaks. After 6 months couldn't keep even one running while using the other 3 broken ones for parts. Numerous problems, constant leaking of gas from carb over flow, petcock from gas tank would leak, pull starter broke on all 4, fouling plugs, clutch was not strong enough for a 100lb person to ride around on, but suspension wouldn't even move unless a 200lb person was on it, brakes needed constant adjustment to be useful at all, plastics would crack if you even leaned anything against them, etc etc. It was a good laugh and a lot of I told you so's from everyone around him. Now he has a single Polaris 50 that the kids share and he is looking picking up a used TRX90 when a good deal pops up. Here is the kicker too, 0 resale because they don't have a VIN or serial number. You can't legally ride them anywhere but your own property (which he didn't care about that until he tried to sell them).

https://ykjinyi.en.made-in-china.co...hina-Popular-49cc-Mini-ATV-for-Kids-A05-.html

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score
I bought one of the SSR "Chinese" quads for my 3 year old back in 2007 as I also didn't want to fork out $2k+ for something he was going to grow out of. That was one hell of a bike!! My Daughter also used it for a few years after my Son grew out of it. Bought that bike for $500 brand new with registration and green sticker, used it for about 6 years and sold it for $350. I think the only thing I had to do was put a new carb in it a few batteries. Maybe just my luck but that bike always ran and had plenty of power to putt around in the sand with my 250lb. big ass on it. It even out ran my nephews 80 Raptor all day long! I've also heard bad stories about others also though.....

redone76

Reaction score
MOTOR116.jpg

Another vote for the Polaris 50. Picked this up for $400 a couple years back and it just needed a carb. My 5 year old son loves it. I like that it also has an adjustable throttle stop so he can't whiskey throttle it out into the desert

Quicksilver

Reaction score
For a 3 year old a Polaris or Kawi 50 would be good. When they get a little older a Suzuki LT80 is a good choice. My sons LT80 has enough power to haul me around on and still burn out in the dirt.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Polaris 50 is a good start

My girls started on a Suzuki LT50 and then moved to an LT80. You can prob find a used LT50 for around 600-800 and then sell it a few years later for 600-800.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Just got the grandson a Polaris 50. About $2k OTD.
Avoid the Shitzuki. This is experience talkin.

The Hensim 50/70 was the only ok China quad if see a cheap used one in really good condition.
They are long gone if you need parts though.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Stay away from the Chinese ones. My friend bought 4 of these Chinese quads because it was cheaper than one name brand quad. He has a small farm and 2 small kids. Didn't want to plop down $2000+ for a Polaris. Spent less than $800 for the 4 quads new. He plan was each kid gets a quad with a backup one when it eventually breaks. After 6 months couldn't keep even one running while using the other 3 broken ones for parts. Numerous problems, constant leaking of gas from carb over flow, petcock from gas tank would leak, pull starter broke on all 4, fouling plugs, clutch was not strong enough for a 100lb person to ride around on, but suspension wouldn't even move unless a 200lb person was on it, brakes needed constant adjustment to be useful at all, plastics would crack if you even leaned anything against them, etc etc. It was a good laugh and a lot of I told you so's from everyone around him. Now he has a single Polaris 50 that the kids share and he is looking picking up a used TRX90 when a good deal pops up. Here is the kicker too, 0 resale because they don't have a VIN or serial number. You can't legally ride them anywhere but your own property (which he didn't care about that until he tried to sell them).

https://ykjinyi.en.made-in-china.co...hina-Popular-49cc-Mini-ATV-for-Kids-A05-.html

I had the exact same problems w/ my cheap stuff. Cost more in the end.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i picked up a chinese quad for my 4 year old and she loves it. its a 2 stroke and when the rpms get up it scoots... would kinda rather have a 4 stroke bigger cc but an easier power curve. the "shocks" are just springs and it gets bouncy with her non-existant weight. thats what you get when you step up into a real quad... actual gas/oil filled shocks, rubber bushings instead of hard joints, etc.

31166735_10155739110644833_6830164624268371907_n.jpg

30725247_10155721255929833_5416232665718667615_n.jpg

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I bought my boys a pair of PW50s for Christmas this year. They both ride the little electric 2 wheeled one with training wheels now and we can't keep them off of them, so it was time to step it up a bit. My almost 4 year old has pretty good balance (he's been on a Strider for the last year and a half) and should do ok. my 2.5 year old has no fear of anything and will probably be doing circles around my almost 4 year old. I think I am more excited to give them to them then they will be to get them.

Warpt

Reaction score
I would buy a older Suzuki lt50 they are smaller than the later version and would be a better fit for a 3 year old. Both my kids were riding them at 2.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
My kids bikes..

Suzuki LT 80
Yamaha PW 50
Yamaha PW 80
2 - Honda XR 80
Yamaha YZ 80
Suzuki RM 125
Yamaha YZ 250

GREAT TIMES!!!
I wont list mine....LOL

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Looking at maybe getting my 3yo girl a quad to ride around the in-laws farm in Iowa. Looking at one of these Hawk 110s that a local power sports dealer has a bunch of. I see a lot of these “Chinese” atvs, they all look to be about the same.

Anyone ever mess with one of these?

https://www.vitacci.com/atvs/hawk-110cc/

Id rather have used japanese than new chinese -

Thats tough you can buy a 50 and ditch it quick or a try to jump to an 80 which will last a long time - your call on her abilities but 3 is pretty young
You can go riding with a kid on an 80.

I m pretty sure have a line on a raptor 80.

UD

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I believe other than older Hondas most of the name brands are Chinese made also. supposably better quality control. I currently have an older Honda 90 and bombardier(can am) 90 2 stroke both been reliable. Shocks on can am are way to stiff. Found a thread about the Chinese version having an aftermarket "race shock" that is much better and was relatively cheap.

My girls started at 7 and the 90's were a little big, hard to reach breaks and such. But at 9 they're good and should last few more years of normal riding.

nrbr

Reaction score
Thread got me excited to grab one for te daughters 5 and 7! It wouldnt leave our property , just something to motor around the backyard. Pricing seems to be all over the place and craigslist is taken over by spammers reposting the same ad repeatedly. I found some Chinese deals new 599$ 60cc 4 stroke (if it's not a bait and switch deal...) is that my best move? Money is more of an object then buying something really nice , we can get something better later if they take a liking to it. I didn't see one used deal at all!

JBS

Reaction score
Just got the grandson a Polaris 50. About $2k OTD.
Avoid the Shitzuki. This is experience talkin.

The Hensim 50/70 was the only ok China quad if see a cheap used one in really good condition.
They are long gone if you need parts though.

I bought my daughter one of these around 6 months ago. She is 5 today She really has not taken to it. Loves to sit on it but afraid to ride. She prefers to ride on a quad with me or the RZR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I bought an E-Ton years ago for my son, best $800 I ever spent. It ended up going to my niece and a few others as they were starting out riding. Just routine maintenance and gas. Ended up selling it for $500 about 10 years later.
DSC00474.JPG

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I bought my daughter one of these around 6 months ago. She is 5 today She really has not taken to it. Loves to sit on it but afraid to ride. She prefers to ride on a quad with me or the RZR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
When she hits 6 to 7 and her friends are riding in camp that may change. 5 is still early.
Last year we had a half dozen little girls in camp and they all rode everyday all the time.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Thread got me excited to grab one for te daughters 5 and 7! It wouldnt leave our property , just something to motor around the backyard. Pricing seems to be all over the place and craigslist is taken over by spammers reposting the same ad repeatedly. I found some Chinese deals new 599$ 60cc 4 stroke (if it's not a bait and switch deal...) is that my best move? Money is more of an object then buying something really nice , we can get something better later if they take a liking to it. I didn't see one used deal at all!

That’s kinda where I’m at. It would just be for riding around the in laws property a few times per year. I looked, as suggested, for a used Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda 50s and 90s and there’s not much around there. And what is available, they want $1200-1800 used. I’ll keep looking for a used one but I’m gonna go check out the Chinese ones at a couple dealers too. They say they have a lot of parts in stock and full service facilities too.

outboard_256

Reaction score
That’s kinda where I’m at. It would just be for riding around the in laws property a few times per year. I looked, as suggested, for a used Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda 50s and 90s and there’s not much around there. And what is available, they want $1200-1800 used. I’ll keep looking for a used one but I’m gonna go check out the Chinese ones at a couple dealers too. They say they have a lot of parts in stock and full service facilities too.

also factor in resale. In 4 years that $1500 used name brand you bought you could probably sell for $1300. That $500 Chinese one might not sell at all.

Zhammy3

Reaction score
I started off with a Honda 90, went to a 300ex, than on a 450r by the time i was 13. Still have my 450 at 29