WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kids first solo at Mesa airport

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
What is "ASU flight school"? Does that include pilot license as curriculum offered through ASU

The flight school is offered out of Ira Fulton Engineering as mentioned by 530. There are many choices of degrees. My son is getting his licenses (private through CFI) through ASU's flight school in addition to his engineering degree.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Very cool.... Do they still cut off your shirt tail?

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
After a career in flying, and 13,000+ hours I still can remember the first solo

I don't quite have 13K hours (more like 3K) but I can remember my first solo as well. My first cross country was SAN-YUM-HII-SAN. Back then, the airport was still out on Pittsburg Point.

hallettheck

Reaction score
Funny story about first solo cross country...Van Nuys to Baker in 1971....landed ..nothing there...then...all of a sudden, car comes out of nowhere .....lady jumps out..wants to know if I am all right..."sure just need someone to sign my log book" (proof to instructor that I really went) I said, "why you asked"....said no one ever lands here unless their in trouble.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Funny story about first solo cross country...Van Nuys to Baker in 1971....landed ..nothing there...then...all of a sudden, car comes out of nowhere .....lady jumps out..wants to know if I am all right..."sure just need someone to sign my log book" (proof to instructor that I really went) I said, "why you asked"....said no one ever lands here unless their in trouble.

That's classic. When I was landing in Yuma for my first leg, I told ATC I was a student pilot on my first crossX and they were awesome. They did everything they could to help except land the plane. LOL

copterzach

Reaction score
First solo was in a R22, back in 1999. Seems like forever ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parker guy

Reaction score
My son is 16, just got his solo license, working on ground school and cross country. Looking at college as we speak. Very exciting times....Congratulations to your son.

SnoC653

Reaction score
My first solo was in 1989 in a Hughes 300c. Still have my shirt tail somewhere...

Congrats to your son!

LOL we called them the "Mattel Messerchmidt" but in 82 when I soloed, they were most likely still 269A models. I can still remember the relief that I hadn't done anything stupid and was signed off on the first day of solo flights.

And to the OP: Congrats to your son. It is a memorable day and an accomplishment that many can only dream about.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I remember my first solo in 1968 and my first solo crosscountry VNY-SAN-VNY Landed at Lindberg before it was so busy.