WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kids quad or dirt bike

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
I have a 4 yr old and 6 yr old girls and have been looking at both quads and bikes for them. Most people I've talked to already say the bikes are the way to go . What have you guys started your kids on

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have a 4 yr old and 6 yr old girls and have been looking at both quads and bikes for them. Most people I've talked to already say the bikes are the way to go . What have you guys started your kids on
Started my daughter on a quad at 3.5 years old. By the time she was around ten she was on the Banshee showing the boys how its done. [emoji1] [emoji106]
My theory was to get her proficient with all the controls and transition to a motorcycle as desired.

RVRKID

Reaction score
We gave my son this quad last xmas when he was 3.5 and he loves it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450631688.608757.jpg

dread Pirate

Reaction score
2 kids,,, get one of each. :D Just don't buy the chinese knock offs.

My kids have been on quads. Kawasaki 50 and a Honda 90. A friend gave us his china made pit bike cause the kids kept asking for one. They like their quads better and barely rode it. I used the pit bike to run around at the race track, but it didn't last a year.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I started mine on quads. Here's the reason: when they are 4-5 years old, there is so much to try to learn at one time, balance, awareness, throttle and brake control, and most importantly pure stoke of snapping brodies and power slides and such. When they're on a dirt bike with training wheels, they don't have the same freedom as a quad. They have to ride on flat ground, realistically. Now, I'm talking about real little guys, that can't ride a bicycle without training wheels. At this point, the most important thing is awareness and throttle/brake control. I started mine in the Barbie jeep, then moved them to the Lt 50 Suzuki. Once they master riding around camp, and they can start and stop, then they can learn more difficult terrain. The dirt bikes on trading wheels don't work in little gullies, ruts, sand whoops, etc. if you're a sand dune rider, quads are the way to go, unless they stay on the flats. Once they get competent with these things, then move them to a dirt bike. Then it takes a few hours to get the balance down, then they're ripping around berms, and whoops, you name it. The way I look at it, is if they're riding something with four wheels, the rear two should be powered.

2Driver

Reaction score
There were just too many serious quad accidents for us to buy one. We were all set to do so. They crash and it rolls with you and on you. Even a small quad can weigh as much as my Yam 450. Our friend is a surgical hardware salesperson and she said the amount of hardware that goes into kids from quad accidents is pretty alarming. But we have friends that had their kids grow up on them and never an issue.

When my son was about 5 we got a Suzuki 50 ( never considered a Suzuki before) It had 2 gears but no clutch and he could stop in gear and not stall. He lasted about 1 season on it then went straight to a KTM 50 Adventure. another great bike that tripled his riding ability in 1 ride.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
^ This. Quads tend to follow you when you crash.

77charger

Reaction score
started my kids on quads and both have rolled them and it was just that they took a break and got back on them.They only ride at glamis so dirtbikes may have a harder time.I did have an xr50 but my son preferred his quad.

I say it depends on where you do most of your riding at and what the kids want.

Singleton

Reaction score
My middle son started with a quad at age 7. He said this summer after his accident at age 14 he is done. Moving to a sxs when he is riding in Colorado with family we don't have to go through this again

Night of accident after 1st surgery (required 2)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450636303.075757.jpg

After 1 week in ICU
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450636320.581197.jpg

After 2 weeks is hospital
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450636353.397220.jpg

Faceaz

Reaction score
I vote for bike. My son started on this when he was 3. I put a little remote kill switch on it. It's like a car remote, if he gets in trouble or falls, I can kill it in a second. Bought the bike for 400 bucks, he's now 6 & still having fun on it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 41

Hullbilly

Reaction score
I'm biased as Ive been racing mx since I was knee high. I just bought my boys 5&6 a Ktm 50 sr pro for xmas, but they both said the wanted a bike.

For you if its feasable buy one of each and let them decide which flavor they like. You will have no problem selling whichever one needs to go. As said before stick with the big names, otherwise you'll more then likely wind up with a broken bike that you cant buy parts for.

Hullbilly

Reaction score
I vote for bike. My son started on this when he was 3. I put a little remote kill switch on it. It's like a car remote, if he gets in trouble or falls, I can kill it in a second. Bought the bike for 400 bucks, he's now 6 & still having fun on it.

He's pretty much at shriner status.....time for a 65 dad!

Hammer

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450641236.721027.jpg

4 1/2. First time on a dirt bike. No training wheels. Nothing wrong with a quad to start out though.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Once the kid can ride a normal bicycle, start him on the dirtbike. If your kid can't ride a bicycle get him/her a strider bike.

The PW 50 is one of the best starting bikes, but ditch the training wheels. Training wheels just get in the way of teaching them correctly imo.

I've taught several kids how to ride from 3-5 years old and all were able to ride a bicycle first. That's my rule.

At first I run along side the kid instructing and grabbing hold if necessary teaching throttle control, braking and turning. After that, I get on a chase bike and follow along continuing instruction as we go.

I rode my kids around the neighborhood from toddler age just to get them used to things.

Aaron_and_dad_on_50.jpg

[video=youtube;xbkgxZz7Xk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbkgxZz7Xk0[/video]

[video=youtube;JElvA6rWPvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElvA6rWPvI[/video]

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
Depends on the kid I think. My son, two wheeler no problem, my daughter I bought her a yami 2 wheeler and it was a nightmare. Popping the clutch, stalling, come up to a hill, and was a problem. She just did not have the coordination. Sold it and bought her a Honda quad, and life became awesome. No more stalling, popping the clutch, no issues.

So, if your kids are athletic, coordinated, balance, etc, a bike is a great way to go, if not, get a quad.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I would go with a dirtbike. Quads are heavy and they do roll or drive over you when you crash. I've always been ejected from my dirtbike. Quads wear you out quicker and are just a harsher ride.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Bike. My kid got a MR 50 Elsinore for his 5th birthday from his uncle. Full clutch 4 speed bike. But as said some kids just don't take to it right away. My brother got an a mini bike when he was little and crashed pretty hard. Ran off crying I'M NEVER GETTING ON THAT AGAIN!
He has run Pikes Peak a couple of times on a bike.:D

2Driver

Reaction score
If you start on a bike, which I would, have the first few rides in a place where it is smooth dirt and no one around.

Starting him in the open desert or out standard wash is a mistake as the rocks will just make it hard to learn and increase his crashing and reduce his patience.

Faceaz

Reaction score
He's pretty much at shriner status.....time for a 65 dad!

Lol.. no thanks, don't want him getting too attached to anything with an engine. Pedal bikes already cost this family enough :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the good tips guys , my 6 yr old daughter is pretty good on a bike , my 4 yr old is still on training wheels. The idea of one each is pretty good so they both can try each

3.Slow

Reaction score
If you can, get one of each. I have 4 kids from 4 to 12. we have a polaris 90 quad and a crf 50 with training wheels. we got them in a package deal with our polaris ranger, but the kids love them. I would say they ride the quad more than the bike, but they both get used. i limit the throttle on both and when my son started on the quad at 3, i would take a long rope and tie it to the back like a leash, he would ride circles around me and if he started to wander off i would just pull him back, a remote kill would be ideal but this was much cheaper. the crf 50 with training wheels is not that far off from a quad, didnt have to balance and there is no clutch. I would say either or both could work well.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
At the age your kids are at I would put them on quads to start with to get the feel
Of off-road. Another factor to consider is where you will be riding mostly. For us we are around a lot of sand at our location at the river and the quad was a no brainer for that reason. Also if you go the quad route get auto transmissions. The experience for your young rider will be better initially. Your kids are pretty young so auto trans is the way to go IMO.

From a safety stand point I would make one recommendation and that is at least while your kids are young ride in areas that aren't full of a lot of people. This was huge for me. I still follow this rule today. The decisions you make can greatly improve the safety factor we all have to deal with.

My daughter has been riding since she was 8 and she is 14 now and we have made some great memories in the last 6 years. We're hitting the trail tomorrow morning for a 40 mile ride.:thumbsup

Good luck with your decision.

image.jpg

wiseone

Reaction score
All my boys started on this when they were 3, my dad bought it new in 1983 for my sister. If you can find one in good shape, these thing are bulletproof with very little maintenance required. Yamaha 4 zinger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 35

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Quads around the campsite but with the new generation of kids were trying to go with SxS's for venturing out.
With safety comes a cage.

rzr-170-white.png

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Bike. Hands down. The only reason to start them on a quad is if you ride in the dunes. Don't give them the option of quad or bike. They will pick the quad cause its easier. I've watched sooo many kids learn to ride in the desert. You can always tell who started with a bike and who started with a quad. Even a bike with training wheels gives them a sense of the balance of the bike and all that.

Get a bike with an automatic clutch. Manual shifting is good cause until they learn how to shift it helps keep their speed down even more so and is more like bigger machines. And when they crash, and they WILL crash, the bike just falls over, it doesn't keep rolling or follow the rider like a quad. 2 reasons why quads have more severe accidents are the machine follows the rider, and it allows for a false sense of abilities and riders are riding over their abilities and don't know it til it's too late.

575cat

Reaction score
What do you want rolling over you when you wipe out , agreed more deadly accidents on 4 wheelers than bikes .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I started mine on quads. Here's the reason: when they are 4-5 years old, there is so much to try to learn at one time, balance, awareness, throttle and brake control, and most importantly pure stoke of snapping brodies and power slides and such. When they're on a dirt bike with training wheels, they don't have the same freedom as a quad. They have to ride on flat ground, realistically. Now, I'm talking about real little guys, that can't ride a bicycle without training wheels. At this point, the most important thing is awareness and throttle/brake control. I started mine in the Barbie jeep, then moved them to the Lt 50 Suzuki. Once they master riding around camp, and they can start and stop, then they can learn more difficult terrain. The dirt bikes on trading wheels don't work in little gullies, ruts, sand whoops, etc. if you're a sand dune rider, quads are the way to go, unless they stay on the flats. Once they get competent with these things, then move them to a dirt bike. Then it takes a few hours to get the balance down, then they're ripping around berms, and whoops, you name it. The way I look at it, is if they're riding something with four wheels, the rear two should be powered.

^^^ This

Also, no 50 will work in the sand, no matter how many wheels it has! My kids 50 quad has the carb modded and a pipe on it. It has never worked well in the sand, even when he was four years old.

That 50 has been though at least four or five families so far, and still runs great. I just got it back from the last friends family I loaded it to. Let me know if you want it. I will let it go cheap. :)

HotRod82

Reaction score
Bike. Hands down. The only reason to start them on a quad is if you ride in the dunes. Don't give them the option of quad or bike. They will pick the quad cause its easier. I've watched sooo many kids learn to ride in the desert. You can always tell who started with a bike and who started with a quad. Even a bike with training wheels gives them a sense of the balance of the bike and all that.

Get a bike with an automatic clutch. Manual shifting is good cause until they learn how to shift it helps keep their speed down even more so and is more like bigger machines. And when they crash, and they WILL crash, the bike just falls over, it doesn't keep rolling or follow the rider like a quad. 2 reasons why quads have more severe accidents are the machine follows the rider, and it allows for a false sense of abilities and riders are riding over their abilities and don't know it til it's too late.

Excellent advice, quads are easier so they will gravitate toward them. I like the razor TPC posted if you are in a crowded area......

richie44rich

Reaction score
Started both my boys at 3 years old on a ttr50 with training wheels. They had a blast from day one and we've never turned back. My son's are currently 6 and 8 and ride a crf50 and klx110. Now that my 8 year old is tall enough to start\stop on his own, its time to leave the track behind for a bit and head up into the hills!! Can't wait for our next riding trip! Braaaaaaaapp!!!! Carnegie_7_26_15.jpg My Boys.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
I started my daughter off on a Jr50 at 2.5 years old. We just peeled the training wheels off her bicycle hoping to ditch the training wheels on her Moto this season too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450741116.258788.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450741241.521100.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yea it's the Razor, he loves it and is having fun so no upgrades just yet.

Thanks. I think all I would do is get a quicker charger for it at first. 12 hours seems too long.

How fast is it?

RVRKID

Reaction score
Thanks. I think all I would do is get a quicker charger for it at first. 12 hours seems too long.

How fast is it?

Yea you definitely need full charge on them and they go pretty good, this is the kids riding them in the back.
[video=vimeo;149708822]https://vimeo.com/149708822[/video]

77charger

Reaction score
^^^ This

Also, no 50 will work in the sand, no matter how many wheels it has! My kids 50 quad has the carb modded and a pipe on it. It has never worked well in the sand, even when he was four years old.

That 50 has been though at least four or five families so far, and still runs great. I just got it back from the last friends family I loaded it to. Let me know if you want it. I will let it go cheap. :)

My kids rode a 50 quad at glamis for a while and it moved them fine of course they didnt dune it but around camp and small hills it made it up fine.Where we camp at it is pure sand and soft(like 3/4 mile off gecko).It was a 2 stroke one and was stock a lil jetting change and it did better.Now our neighbors had a newer 50 that was a4 stroke and it could barely move with a small kid on it i think my kids went faster with me on it than a kid on the 4 stroke did.Both were suzukis.

I would have my son follow me as we went from gecko road pad 1 area down to the canal and he made it back up with ease and its a slight climb.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My kids rode a 50 quad at glamis for a while and it moved them fine of course they didnt dune it but around camp and small hills it made it up fine.Where we camp at it is pure sand and soft(like 3/4 mile off gecko).It was a 2 stroke one and was stock a lil jetting change and it did better.Now our neighbors had a newer 50 that was a4 stroke and it could barely move with a small kid on it i think my kids went faster with me on it than a kid on the 4 stroke did.Both were suzukis.

I would have my son follow me as we went from gecko road pad 1 area down to the canal and he made it back up with ease and its a slight climb.

Yep. Mine is fine around camp too. It's an LT-50 2smoke. Hauls azz out in the dirt! :thumbsup

77charger

Reaction score
Yep. Mine is fine around camp too. It's an LT-50 2smoke. Hauls azz out in the dirt! :thumbsup

Thats about all my kids rode it around but now there on bigger so they ride all around the area we camp at glamis they got alot of room and havent done a kiddie track in 5-6 years.Still close to camp but they will venture out about a 1/4 mile and up some smaller hills.Most riding they do is at night LED flasher on whip does wonders easy to track them along with a walkie talkie.Traffic is very light near our camp at night.

Reaction score
So I bought an 07 Kawi 50 from my buddy. Brought it home drained the fuel and cleaned the carb , runs great and got a few min of seat time with the girls. They thought it was like a sea doo and wanted to go wide open. It's a little big for my 4 yr old but just right for my 6 yr old

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 28