WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kids these days....

MCnParker

Reaction score
Little story from this last weekend for you all...

My son is a senior in high school and they had their home coming dance, so he has been friends with this girl for while and kind of liked her and figured WTH he would ask her to the dance. He put a bunch of effort into doing one of those stupid signs and getting her friend to video it etc...I still don't understand the need to publish our life on Instagram or tik tok or whatever, but that is a whole different topic. Anyway, she said yes and my wife and son were off to races planning flowers, clothes etc. About a week after he asked she got all weird and was starting to distance herself, my wife and I told him to see how it goes and if she continues to tell her to pound sand. But being the know all senior he didn't listen and continued to go with the plan as they were part of a group of like 10-12 kids.

We get to the night of the dance and pictures, my wife goes with him because I am not about to deal with all the BS, and she comes home all fired up! Her exact words were "That girl acted like a spoiled little bitch!" I started laughing and she did not find it humorous at all, but it was done and they were off to dinner. Since the girl had been so on and off leading up to the dance we told our son that he should not be buying her meal as it was obvious to us that she just wanted a body for pictures and expected him to buy her meal. Sure as shit meal is done and her friends start poking my son about paying for her meal, mind you he is sitting at the table with everyone while this is happening. He works and has his own money so he caved and whipped out his card and paid for it, only like $20 but it is the principle of it that really pissed him off as well as us. They went to the dance and basically didn't talk after they got there and have not spoken since.

Here is where it gets funny, yesterday he comes home from school and is all tired from Baseball workout and I over hear his mom asking him about the girl and what happened. I didn't catch the details until she came out the front door and said you need to tell your dad what happened. Side note is one of the girls friends moms had texted my wife that their family thinks our son is a great kid and he deserved a high five for what he had done, but we didn't hear about if from her?

So of course my wife wants the details....

Back to the story, he comes out and explains that he and his friends were talking and someone said they couldn't believe he paid for her meal and it was total bullshit and he should get his money back. In a moment of genius in my opinion, he decided to send her venmo request for half of the check from dinner. I thought it was hilarious but his mom was not soo amused by it. Apparently he left it long enough for her to see it and then cancelled it, and word spread pretty quickly.

I just find it amazing that the communication between children today is based almost completely on some form of social media or texting and thought you all might find this as funny as I did.....

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I would have liked to hear your son cancel her from going and gone stag or had another gal fill in. But since she did go I think he did the right thing paying for her, only because he is the one that comes out of it the good guy.
Agreed, wish he would of just cancelled the date as well. But he did ask her and so paying was the right thing to do.
Question is - where do you go to have dinner for 20 bucks??:rolleyes: 😁 :eek:

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
I struggle with this as I've got two daughters. 11 & 14. It's show for them. For the guys it's an attempt to get some. At least it was that way for me in the 90's. HAHA!

I make sure my girls know what the guy's motive is. I get laughed at, then I turn things over to my wife.

Based on your story your son is a good kid and I assume you had a lot to do with it. I just hope my daughters have the same amount of integrity when in a similar situation.

JD D05

Reaction score
I struggle with this as I've got two daughters. 11 & 14. It's show for them. For the guys it's an attempt to get some. At least it was that way for me in the 90's. HAHA!

I make sure my girls know what the guy's motive is. I get laughed at, then I turn things over to my wife.

Based on your story your son is a good kid and I assume you had a lot to do with it. I just hope my daughters have the same amount of integrity when in a similar situation.

I have 2 daughters also one is now graduated. I take the same approach...I know a lot of parents say if you get asked you have to go and I never understood that really. If my daughter doesn't want to go to a dance and spend time with a guy for whatever reason I have no issue with them saying no.

Far right...

Screenshot_20211007-105453_Gallery.jpg

MCnParker

Reaction score

Thank you, he is truly feeling the effect of covid, socially he missed most of his sophomore year for these types of activities and it shows with how they interact with each other. The sad part is if she had said hey I just want to go as friends he still would have paid, but she was just being all snotty and stand off'ish... I am sure it has a lot to do with what you mentioned above, but still a simple conversation could solve the problem.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I am sitting at my desk awaiting a class full of sophomores to finish lunch and come back for the final period of the day. Three quarters of these kids are not going to ever be the same due to the mass hysteria we call Covid. Only the most self-assured kids will talk to each other readily. Most won't even smile. Masks everywhere even though they aren't required outside. It truly is a damaged generation. Elections matter. Talk to your school board member this next week and tell them to stop the PC nonsense. The "science" is coming in every day now that natural immunity is superior to the shot, and that this still remains a virus that doesn't target kids. It should be a non-issue for any student under 30.

MCnParker

Reaction score
I am sitting at my desk awaiting a class full of sophomores to finish lunch and come back for the final period of the day. Three quarters of these kids are not going to ever be the same due to the mass hysteria we call Covid. Only the most self-assured kids will talk to each other readily. Most won't even smile. Masks everywhere even though they aren't required outside. It truly is a damaged generation. Elections matter. Talk to your school board member this next week and tell them to stop the PC nonsense. The "science" is coming in every day now that natural immunity is superior to the shot, and that this still remains a virus that doesn't target kids. It should be a non-issue for any student under 30.
I attended the last school board meeting and spoke, not about masks but more about the inequalities in the covid protocols between the vaccinated and unvaccinated students that were testing negative. I fully intend on attending this week also, and FYI there is a growing group of parents working to get a lawsuit filed very quickly to slow this down a bit.

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score
sounds like a lot of drama. Not looking forward to my 2 kids to get to high school.

mbrown2

Reaction score
$20 bux is the cheapest relationship lesson he will get in life....nothing's free. In all seriousness, he asked, she turned into a bitch, he did not get in front of it and cancel things so he has to pay her not to stay but to leave....that $20 bux was closure and likely the least expensive closure he will get in his fun filled life! :)

On the venmo request/cancel....probably would have not done that but if I did I would have let it stand...that said....all of these are life's lessons...regardless if physical or via digital interactions...

Sounds like a good kid!

Last edited:

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
$20 bux is the cheapest relationship lesson he will get in life....nothing's free. In all seriousness, he asked, she turned into a bitch, he did not get in front of it and cancel things so he has to pay her not to stay but to leave....that $20 bux was closure and the likely the least expensive closure he will get in his fun filled life! :)

On the venmo request/cancel....probably would have not done that but if I did I would have let it stand...that said....all of these are life's lessons...regardless if physical or via digital interactions...

Sounds like a good kid!
Sounds to me like he got a cheap lesson in how divorce can work. Ask her to get married, she says yes, she turns into a bitch, and he has to pay anyway.

Very valuable life lesson if he looks at it the right way!

Last edited:

Deckin Around

Reaction score
$20 bux is the cheapest relationship lesson he will get in life....nothing's free. In all seriousness, he asked, she turned into a bitch, he did not get in front of it and cancel things so he has to pay her not to stay but to leave....that $20 bux was closure and the likely the least expensive closure he will get in his fun filled life! :)
Seriously I remember spending a LOT more just to find out a girl is certified bitchtastic after you get to know her. Some guys it takes years and a marriage to get over the hot vs bitch ratio.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
She was probably pissed because he didn't spend $500 on props and put in more effort asking her to the dance...lol

The shit these kids come up with or have to do these days to stand out is a joke. Started with 100k weddings and push presents and now it's worked it's way to high school prom......screw all that noise she either likes you or she doesent. :p :cool: