WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Killer Pulled Pork Sammies

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
On Father's Day I did a pork butt on the Traeger to make pulled pork sandwiches. Sorry but I didn't take any pictures, but it was really easy and it was sofa king good!

I went online and watched Malcolm Reed on How To Barbecue Right to see how he does his pulled pork. He rubs mustard on it to act as a binder to hold the spices on and he generously applies his Killer Hogs BBQ Seasoning, that's it. Then it goes on the smoker for about 4 hours at 250. At 4 hours he pulled it off and sprayed apple juice (I used apple cider vinegar), then double wrapped it in foil with a temperature probe sticking out, I cooked mine for the remainder of time at 275. At about 202 degrees I pulled it off and let it set for about 45 minutes to an hour.

In the meantime I made some cole slaw from scratch from the How to BBQ Right website and threw that in the fridge. I found another video on doing a vinegar sauce, it's kinda spicy, but after a few days it gets spicier.

Now I go to the pork butt and open the foil, after sitting for about an hour it's still pretty hot. The shoulder bone pulls right out, I empty the juice into a grease separator and let it sit. I pulled the meat apart and shredded a little bit, but left it in chunks. Now I pour the degreased juice back in the meat and mix it up.

I got a pack of Kings Hawaiian rolls at Sam's Club, I cut them into sections of 4 and sliced them in half (to make a bun) and toasted those slightly and got out a jar of Claussen pickle chips on the side.

I put a large portion of meat on the roll, ladled some vinegar sauce over the meat, threw a generous serving tongful of cole slaw on the meat, put the top half of the rolls on top, cut it in half and dug in.

It was awesome and so easy. The pork butt took about 7 hours to cook, and for about $12 for a 9.5 lb chunk of meat you can't go wrong, it fed the 4 of us, my neighbor and we still have a shit load of meat left over too.

Here are the videos linked for this recipe:

Recipe for the cole slaw: https://howtobbqright.com/2020/04/17/pulled-pork-sandwich/
Recipe for cooking the pork butt:
Recipe for the vinegar sauce:

Mods: This probably belongs in the BBQ & Recipes section, but would get more traction here, move it you like.

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
haha that section doesnt get too much traffic. But I will say you made a good call following Malcoms advice. I've done a TON of his stuff from his youtube videos, and all has been pretty killer. One of huge surprise hits was his Jerk Pork Chops. I do add some extra heat to them since I cant find scotch bonnets locally.

rrrr

Reaction score
We did a butt roast last night, and Fonda is at the store right now picking up some chopped and bagged three cabbage mix and some Marie's slaw dressing.

Gonna be awesome!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
haha that section doesnt get too much traffic. But I will say you made a good call following Malcoms advice. I've done a TON of his stuff from his youtube videos, and all has been pretty killer. One of huge surprise hits was his Jerk Pork Chops. I do add some extra heat to them since I cant find scotch bonnets locally.
So grow some Scotch Bonnets already!
You live in pepper growing zone!

charlyox

Reaction score
I do turkey breast on the smoker. I use Mayo to make the rub stick to it. Smoke it @225* for about four or five hours until it reaches 160*. Pull it off and wrap it in foil for about an hour and slice it up. Always comes out great.

Tank

Reaction score
Malcom's the MAN! Try his pork belly recipe..HOLY SHIT!! Meat candy!

I do my pulled pork in the oven low and slow, 275 for like 12 hours. lots of garlic, pepper, salt, and other seasonings, covered in brown sugar, beer and a cocacola. Shit comes out bomb every time.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
It's a shame that guy is gonna die so young. Very talented.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Update: I still have a bunch of meat leftover so I made some carnitas tacos tonight with the leftover shredded cabbage and some salsa. Good stuff.
On another note - I finally figured out how to make the corn tortillas soft and fresh tasting. Put a dab of oil on a hot griddle and spread it with the tortillas flipping them every 20-30 seconds. It’s amazing what you can learn by watching professionals.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I learned that from here on RDP Year’s ago.
On a. Corned Beef.

Thanks @Racey 😎

Hell yeah! On pork I use yellow mustard and Louisiana hot sauce. I'll usually put the spices like cayenne on dry and let that sit overnight, then before the smoker it's a light coat of the mustard and hot sauce to bind the outer coating of some brown sugar kosher salt and black pepper

Another thing I've learned is that after about 4 hours when the meat temp stalls around 155-160 and you would normally wrap it, just go throw it in the crock pot with minimal moisture.set it on a can of drained pineapple slices, or 1/4" orange slices. Nothing else. It accomplishes the same thing without having to tend the smoker for another 4 hours.

dave29

Reaction score
It's a shame that guy is gonna die so young. Very talented.
Unfortunately, there are many more like him in the smoking business. So much knowledge to share with us and they do. All seen like they would be great next door neighbors.