WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Knoxville, TN

Not Important

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Knoxville area? We are heading there in the next month to see if we’d like to live there. No more than an hour outside of Knoxville is preferred, any recommended towns to look at? The ultimate goal is to buy on the lake, is one better than the other? Until we get established to buy we will be renting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
STFO of the areas by the fairgrounds...that's all I can tell you. Was like an episode of COPS on loop. I was only there for a couple car shows. Beer was cold...

old rigger

Reaction score
Never been to TN but one of my oldest friends sold everything a few years ago and he and his wife moved to Powell. I have no idea where it is in relation to Knoxville, but they love it. He bought a house built in 1865 on 10 acres.

I would like to visit Sun Records someday and also see Nashville.

Oh, and Lynchburg.

Not Important

Reaction score
Never been to TN but one of my oldest friends sold everything a few years ago and he and his wife moved to Powell. I have no idea where it is in relation to Knoxville, but they love it. He bought a house built in 1865 on 10 acres.

I would like to visit Sun Records someday and also see Nashville.

Oh, and Lynchburg.
I’ll put it on the list, it’s right outside of Knoxville.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I was born and raised in Crossville, TN which is about 75 miles west of Knoxville just off I40. Spent a lot of time just east of there in the Great Smokey Mountains (God's Country) and on most of the lakes south of Knoxville. Beautiful country and lots of water to boat on. Though we lived on a private lake we had a family retreat on Watts Bar Lake just southwest of Knoxville.
If leaving socal you won't look back...
Good luck in your endeavors and report back with some pics.

gqchris

Reaction score
My Dad lives in Greeneville TN. About an hour north of Knoxville. I like it out there, but my Wife would probably hate it. Its slow moving and not whole lot going on!

A trip to Walmart is a big deal for my Pops. LOL....lots of CarS hows though and he takes his cars all over the tri states there to show em.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Knoxville area? We are heading there in the next month to see if we’d like to live there. No more than an hour outside of Knoxville is preferred, any recommended towns to look at? The ultimate goal is to buy on the lake, is one better than the other? Until we get established to buy we will be renting.
Why Knoxville? Are your retiring? If you need work you may need a different lake.

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Haven't logged in for ever but still lurk.......I literally just closed escrow on a lake front property on Watts Bar lake with TVA dock permit on file. Next year I get my 30 year PERS pin and I'm out. I've spent the last 3 years shopping the right location for me....Checked out Norris Lake....super nice, clean water....flat lots are hard to come by less than $250k. Most lots are super steep down to water. Water fluctuates 30 feet this time of year. Seemed like most of the homes on the lake or vacation homes and I didn't really run into too many full timers. Checked out Cherokee Lake.....very nice ...Water fluctuates here too. Was my second choice. Douglas Lake is just below Cherokee and was nice as well....Unless you're on the Dandridge side, getting to the Sieverville side was a little bit of a drive. Not a lot of shopping options. I looked on Lake Loudon in the Louisville area and around Lenoir City.....super nice area, but also super crowded and the most expensive area. On Watts Bar, I looked in Kingston, Harriman, Rockwood, Ten City and Spring City. All have their plus and minuses. I found that all lake front lots are not dockable....its decided by the TVA, so be careful. Also, if you buy in a non community, be wary of the neighboring lots....I found one nice lot, but both neighbors were less than desirable and no way was I building a new home next to them. Check out Grand Vista Bay.....super nice community with all kinds of lots available. Community has 3 launch ramps and several docks. I was close to buying in there. 45 west of Knoxville. FYI...I got 3/4 acre....walkout basement style lot (slightly rolling) for $150k..asking was $170. To touch water with dock rights on a relatively flat to rolling lot (walkable) you're looking at $150-200...minus house. PM me if you need anything else.

Jeff

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I spent some time in the area when I was racing. I absolutely loved it and plan to get back there to start shopping for my retirement oasis. I used to hang out with some guys we raced against- Von Smith, he owns Atomic City Tool. They are from Oak Ridge.
Eastern TN was one of my favorite places to spend time while on the road.

petie6464

Reaction score
I go there several times a year. I know two families from Havasu that moved to that area, both are back.

From what I see is if you have kids they have a HUGE drug problem, lots of low life's and just a different way of doing things. To me it makes doing business in Havasu look top notch in comparison, and most know what a joke that is.

The weather is another issue, if you never lived in sweltering humidity you're in for a real eye opener (and pore opener)

4czn10

Reaction score
I've been to a town called Mt. Juliet several times, not far from Nashville, dropping off the Ultra to get worked on by Eddie Young at young performance marine. (Best 525 Mechanic around) we drove around for a few days and saw some nice area's. we moved from Cali to South Carolina and live on Lake Hartwell, and i wouldn't hesitate to move there...I hear Taxes are low, even lower than South Carolina, so that's a big plus!

As petie6464 mentioned above, humidity is an issue...but if your retired, and spend most of your time on the lake and in the water, not too bad. plus you do get the seasons! Spring and fall are beautiful!

Good Luck!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Haven't logged in for ever but still lurk.......I literally just closed escrow on a lake front property on Watts Bar lake with TVA dock permit on file. Next year I get my 30 year PERS pin and I'm out. I've spent the last 3 years shopping the right location for me....Checked out Norris Lake....super nice, clean water....flat lots are hard to come by less than $250k. Most lots are super steep down to water. Water fluctuates 30 feet this time of year. Seemed like most of the homes on the lake or vacation homes and I didn't really run into too many full timers. Checked out Cherokee Lake.....very nice ...Water fluctuates here too. Was my second choice. Douglas Lake is just below Cherokee and was nice as well....Unless you're on the Dandridge side, getting to the Sieverville side was a little bit of a drive. Not a lot of shopping options. I looked on Lake Loudon in the Louisville area and around Lenoir City.....super nice area, but also super crowded and the most expensive area. On Watts Bar, I looked in Kingston, Harriman, Rockwood, Ten City and Spring City. All have their plus and minuses. I found that all lake front lots are not dockable....its decided by the TVA, so be careful. Also, if you buy in a non community, be wary of the neighboring lots....I found one nice lot, but both neighbors were less than desirable and no way was I building a new home next to them. Check out Grand Vista Bay.....super nice community with all kinds of lots available. Community has 3 launch ramps and several docks. I was close to buying in there. 45 west of Knoxville. FYI...I got 3/4 acre....walkout basement style lot (slightly rolling) for $150k..asking was $170. To touch water with dock rights on a relatively flat to rolling lot (walkable) you're looking at $150-200...minus house. PM me if you need anything else.

Jeff
Marlow's- Lotta -Fun in Ten Mile, TN. Family has had this lot since the early 60's and the main gathering, cooking, eating and drinking patio has never much changed since built and still has the same fridge. some updates over the years but pretty much the same.
981246_10201165924017252_516293775_o.jpg
32169951_10204686438558077_5113326542058946560_n.jpg
73120121_10217834360910379_4607415678353629136_n.jpg
92429784_10207354198610411_6612992597696708608_n.jpg
106742344_10217834359150335_498337836153599990_n.jpg

See that tent in the background? they used to stuff all of us kids in there at night. Even had hardwood floors. It looked huge when I was a kid.

67870058_10215056526106245_7883106816165412864_n.jpg

My cousin still has my uncles 1963 Starcraft boat we all learned to ski behind.

lakeview2.jpg

1963 Starcraft.1.jpg

65825223_10214799085110381_8402740577002586112_n.jpg

116261056_10218053831717012_4737792788892910551_n.jpg

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

Jeff

good to see you posting. Sounds like all is well

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score

Jeff
Well written for a LURKER! Great to have you back 😂

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Hey Tom....all is well. Sold the house here in CA and renting a small place till I build next year. Sold the Tremor in May....took it into shockwave for service to get ready to sell....and I never picked her up. Had an offer in a day. Probably could of got a little more since prices got stupid right after that but I got a fair offer. One of Bob's friend bought her.

Rick.....get back to work and be ready to help me move next year...Haha

Dave.....That is a great lot. Looked at a few in Ten Mile. Looking forward to getting out there. Definitely a slower pace than CA. The folks in that area are some of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met....hands down.

Not Important

Reaction score
Why Knoxville? Are your retiring? If you need work you may need a different lake.

I like the taxes in Tennessee and looked where there were lakes outside of the city, that's how I chose the area. Definitely not retiring, honestly I had no idea it was a retirement area. LOL

Mike

Not Important

Reaction score

Jeff
This is amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to write this, it means a lot. I will definitely keep in touch.

Mike

Not Important

Reaction score
I go there several times a year. I know two families from Havasu that moved to that area, both are back.

From what I see is if you have kids they have a HUGE drug problem, lots of low life's and just a different way of doing things. To me it makes doing business in Havasu look top notch in comparison, and most know what a joke that is.

The weather is another issue, if you never lived in sweltering humidity you're in for a real eye opener (and pore opener)
Thanks for the input, we do have two young kids.

Not Important

Reaction score
Marlow's- Lotta -Fun in Ten Mile, TN. Family has had this lot since the early 60's and the main eating patio has never much changed since built and still has the same fridge. some updates over the years but pretty much the same.
View attachment 936959 View attachment 936960 View attachment 936961 View attachment 936962 View attachment 936963

See that tent in the background? they used to stuff all of us kids in there at night. Even had hardwood floors. It looked huge when I was a kid.

View attachment 936964

My cousin still has my uncles 1963 Starcraft boat we all learned to ski behind.

View attachment 936966
View attachment 936967

View attachment 936968
View attachment 936969
Looks amazing, killer memories i'm sure, thanks for sharing.

Mike

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
This is amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to write this, it means a lot. I will definitely keep in touch.

Mike
Check out Matt Hoag on You Tube.....he had a daily channel going for about the past year....he chronicled his family's move from Corona to Maryville TN with 2 teenage daughters. I came across his site while I was researching Californians who transplanted to TN.....Lots of information and he's a decent dude.

also check out Ashleyfinney.com. I used one of her associates to buy my lot. Her site has homes/properties all over the Knoxville area. One word of waring since you are going in Nov/Dec......everything will be brown and dead and most lakes will be drawn down... If it is cloudy out...it looks dreary. Come back in April when the season's change...its amazing. I've visited twice during summer months.....yes, there is humidity but it was not bad enough to be a deal breaker.....nowhere near as bad as South Florida.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I like the taxes in Tennessee and looked where there were lakes outside of the city, that's how I chose the area. Definitely not retiring, honestly I had no idea it was a retirement area. LOL

Mike
I moved from So Cal to Lake Norman, outside of Charlotte. Close to a major city for work, big beautiful lake with 6 waterfront restaurants. If it wasn’t for needing a job and good schools I would have gone to lake kiowee in SC. Or maybe Hartwell. We love to visit lake Lanier just outside of Hotlanta but didn’t want to live there. PM me if you want more info.

Taboma

Reaction score
Honest question for those of you who live or have relocated to a few of the lakes in states being discussed in this thread. For several years I was looking for a retirement lake house, in TN, or GA, or SC, NC, etc, hell even tidewater Virginia where I spent some time on boats in the Army. But then all this BLM crap started up and I was far less enthused about moving to an area with a more volatile demographic. Politics aside, please, has there been problems or heightened tensions ??

boatnam2

Reaction score
My buddy lives in rogersville, close to Knoxville he said people are buying up land sight unseen.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Business partners just bought a waterfront property in Lenoir City, TN and moved in a few weeks ago. If they get bored with their stretch of river they just lock into the next section. Absolutely beautiful out there. Can't wait to go visit. If I ever leave AZ, that area is on my short list.

Their new property was for sale by owner and no-joke sellers almost unwound the deal when they found out buyers were from CA haha.

-Zack

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Honest question for those of you who live or have relocated to a few of the lakes in states being discussed in this thread. For several years I was looking for a retirement lake house, in TN, or GA, or SC, NC, etc, hell even tidewater Virginia where I spent some time on boats in the Army. But then all this BLM crap started up and I was far less enthused about moving to an area with a more volatile demographic. Politics aside, please, has there been problems or heightened tensions ??
No. People get along better here. Less problems. Less tension. More guns.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Business partners just bought a waterfront property in Lenoir City, TN and moved in a few weeks ago. If they get bored with their stretch of river they just lock into the next section. Absolutely beautiful out there. Can't wait to go visit. If I ever leave AZ, that area is on my short list.

Their new property was for sale by owner and no-joke sellers almost unwound the deal when they found out buyers were from CA haha.

-Zack
When I am asked where I am from I say SOUTHERN California. Then I am asked why I left...I say quality of life. No problems.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
No. All these lakes are in red states, very blue collar counties outside of the major cities and some of the nicest down to earth people you’ll ever find.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I moved from So Cal to Lake Norman, outside of Charlotte. Close to a major city for work, big beautiful lake with 6 waterfront restaurants. If it wasn’t for needing a job and good schools I would have gone to lake kiowee in SC. Or maybe Hartwell. We love to visit lake Lanier just outside of Hotlanta but didn’t want to live there. PM me if you want more info.
Keowee and Hartwell are so nice and peaceful, those would definitely be my choice for retirement lakes. I keep my boat at Lanier and it’s definitely way busier and more expensive being just outside ATL!

Taboma

Reaction score
Keowee and Hartwell are so nice and peaceful, those would definitely be my choice for retirement lakes. I keep my boat at Lanier and it’s definitely way busier and more expensive being just outside ATL!

I will say this, my wife and I bought some amazing ranch property 16 years ago, well, power, grading, everything is ready but the house.
Our primary reservation for not moving forward with our plan is the lack of specialized health care should it be required going forward. A few ranch neighbors who required some specialists and treatments have had to sell and move as a result. The other consideration is, should anything unexpected happen to me, I don't want to leave my wife fending for herself in a remote area.
Some of the research I've done on Keowee and to a lessor extent, Hartwell, lack of immediate health care is a concern. I know one writer was mentioning 9 months to get a physical scheduled, unless they drove to Augusta.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

Jeff
Make sure you get the dock permit transferred to your name. It shouldn't be a problem as there is a previous permit. The fee is $250. We had a 1 slip dock added to our swim platform dock, so the cost was $500 because of the change. Also, think about everything you want to do to the dock in the foreseeable future. If you want to add water, power etc. Put it all on the new dock permit, so you don't have to pay again. Even if you don't think you will do it, put it on there anyway in case you change your mind.

4czn10

Reaction score
Taboma - we moved to Lake Hartwell SC a few years ago, for the second time...long story, but just to give you an better idea, SC is a strong Red state and most, if not all of our boating friends are Trump fans. there is NO BLM crap around here! I work about 35 miles away in Greenville, a bigger metro area, and there is no issues.

We have a 13 year old who is black/Filipino and we had some concerns, but it has been a wonderful change. the school's are better and no indoctrination...yet. the schools are back to 5 day in person classes, and no problems!

Lake Ratings - Lake Hartwell has about 1000 miles of shoreline. there are at least 8 restaurant's on the lake. the water is clean, but not as clean as lake keowee. During the week you will have the lake to yourselves, except for holiday weekends. Even on weekends you can find area's where you can chill and not be bothered, or you can go to several party spots if that's what your into. you can find very nice lake homes with a dock starting at $400k and up(you can find them for less, but you have to watch out for shallow water)

Lake Keowee - the gem of SC...the lake backs up to the Smokey Mountains so you have more scenic and steeper lots. the water is very clear and warm. it's about 1/3 the size of Hartwell. Homes that are comp to Hartwell start at $700k. The lake levels do not fluctuate as much as Hartwell b/c it has a Nuclear Powerplant on it.(only downside, ifyou are worried about those things)

Good Luck and you can PM me if you want more info.

Not Important

Reaction score
The company I work for has some districts in SC and NC, I was hoping to get away from a democratic governor but I don't think we would be opposed to those states.