WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

KOH 2020. Who's Going?

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Who's going?

And can they really charge $20 per camper/rv/trailer/motorhome/anything with living quarters to camp in BLM land? I get $30 to GO INSIDE THE GATED HAMMER TOWN. But to charge to camp off Boone Rd. seems ridiculous to me...

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Who's going?

And can they really charge $20 per camper/rv/trailer/motorhome/anything with living quarters to camp in BLM land? I get $30 to GO INSIDE THE GATED HAMMER TOWN. But to charge to camp off Boone Rd. seems ridiculous to me...

From what I understood your camping pass gets you into hammer town and people who come up for just the day pay to get in too hammer town I could be mistaken though

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I'm going. Don't know where I'm staying or anything about it for that matter.
Big race is on Thursday?
I definitely want to see the night time hill climb/flip what ya brung. Is that Wednesday???

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Coming In Tuesday afternoon and leaving Friday morning if you see my route 91 flag stop by for a beer!

yz450mm

Reaction score
Thursday morning through Sunday, with a quick trip back home Friday night for a Father/Daughter dance...

Singleton

Reaction score
Was heading out for a couple days, but truck is throwing a trailer wiring fault and trailer brakes are not working. Don’t have time to fix, so thinking I will catch it via the live stream this year

yz450mm

Reaction score
I'm going. Don't know where I'm staying or anything about it for that matter.
Big race is on Thursday?
I definitely want to see the night time hill climb/flip what ya brung. Is that Wednesday???
Trophy trucks on Thursday, Main race on Friday, King of Motos on Saturday, awards and concert Sat night in Hammertown.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
We are headed out Wednesday afternoon through Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
if you camp before the hammer town sign then its free. Once you pass that gate you will need a pass to get in and a pass for campers.

I think that changed.

Camper Passes - This applies to ANY camping vehicle with living quarters, (ie; RV, Trailer, Cab-Over, Toter-Home) entering Johnson Valley during KOH Week. Each camping vehicle will require a camping pass, which is $20 in advance or at the gate.

Singleton

Reaction score
They check at the gate (hammer town sign) right before turkey claw. if you camp before that its free. This is where they look for wrist bands and you pay if you don't have one yet. The disadvantage of doing that is the line (in the past years) for the gate can get so long it takes hours to get through. You also gotta remember this gate is like a mile before the actual hammer town, so not much advantage to saving $20 if its going to cost you time each day to drive in.

IMAG007.JPG

It changed after last year.
The entire Johnson Valley OHV area is $20 for the period of KoH. You pay at the gate to Hammers.

Camping: The cost to camp in Johnson Valley during KOH is $20 per Camping Vehicle (RV, Toter-home, Trailer, Cab-Over) It is dry camping, but there will be water trucks and dump trucks roaming the area that will service your vehicles for a fee. Most of Mean's Dry Lake Bed will be filled by Hammertown. The race teams, vendors, and Hammer King HQ will all be on Mean's Dry Lake. Johnson Valley is an open OHV area, so other than Hammer Town, campers are able to camp essentially wherever they would like to as long as it's not within 150' of the race course.

outboard_256

Reaction score
It changed after last year.
The entire Johnson Valley OHV area is $20 for the period of KoH. You pay at the gate to Hammers.

Camping: The cost to camp in Johnson Valley during KOH is $20 per Camping Vehicle (RV, Toter-home, Trailer, Cab-Over) It is dry camping, but there will be water trucks and dump trucks roaming the area that will service your vehicles for a fee. Most of Mean's Dry Lake Bed will be filled by Hammertown. The race teams, vendors, and Hammer King HQ will all be on Mean's Dry Lake. Johnson Valley is an open OHV area, so other than Hammer Town, campers are able to camp essentially wherever they would like to as long as it's not within 150' of the race course.

thanks did not know that. I stay in hammertown so I have to pay but didn't know all of Johnson valley was included. I remember when I first started going even the spectator bands were optional donations.

Singleton

Reaction score
thanks did not know that. I stay in hammertown so I have to pay but didn't know all of Johnson valley was included. I remember when I first started going even the spectator bands were optional donations.

The BLM permit to run it is insane.
Over 200k this year

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
The BLM permit to run it is insane.
Over 200k this year

Super expensive no doubt. But...

$30per person X’s 60,000 people is $1.8 million. Then another $20 per RV X’s 10,000 RV’s is another $200k.

I’d say they are making a few bucks on the deal. It’s always been a fun event. More fun to watch the weekend warriors in the rocks at night though. Just seems crazy to pay to camp on BLM land. [emoji2369]

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Super expensive no doubt. But...

$30per person X’s 60,000 people is $1.8 million. Then another $20 per RV X’s 10,000 RV’s is another $200k.

I’d say they are making a few bucks on the deal. It’s always been a fun event. More fun to watch the weekend warriors in the rocks at night though. Just seems crazy to pay to camp on BLM land. [emoji2369]

You pay to maintain it and then pay to use it :)

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
carto maps were released today. Already bought mine and will preload it in my GPS tonight. It saved my ass last year when I broke a R&P on sun bonnet and had to find the easiest way back to camp in the dark.

The Carto maps made KOH a whole new experience last year. Take a "Race Radio" over to Rugged Radios or PCI and have them clone the race control frequencies. Then listen to race control talk about what race mile the leaders are at, or where racers are having issues. Use the Carto map to see where you are in relation to the course and head a few miles ahead of their current location. We were able to see the leaders multiple times a lap on different sections of the course. Made the race viewing way more fun then in years past!

Just be mindful of the 150' limit to the race course. Some of the volunteers out their really have a stick up their asses! They act like the Gestapo and will tell you cannot be in certain areas. We had to multiple times last year explain we have a map of the course and know what the 150' rule. Some guys were not having it. We had to tell them to buzz off or call the BLM over because we knew we were in the right.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be going again. Haven't been since the first couple years. 08 maybe? It was free back then. I met Pistol Pete there back in the day!

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’ll have to do this one year. Is KOH better than BITD offroad races in terms of taking your rzr and buzzing around during the day? To see different spots? At mint you can’t really do that and Parker is hard as well

yz450mm

Reaction score
I’ll have to do this one year. Is KOH better than BITD offroad races in terms of taking your rzr and buzzing around during the day? To see different spots? At mint you can’t really do that and Parker is hard as well
Yes, much better. As long as you stay 150' off the course, you can go wherever you want.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Not sure but it was or is $20 per person. Not camper or vehicle so for a family of 5 to go possibly for the day or one event its a hundo. Kind of ridiculous and hammertown is over rated for me. Not everyone gets to go for several days.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I’m planning to go on the 7th-9th, but have no idea where to stay or what to do.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Not sure but it was or is $20 per person. Not camper or vehicle so for a family of 5 to go possibly for the day or one event its a hundo. Kind of ridiculous and hammertown is over rated for me. Not everyone gets to go for several days.

From what I have been told this year is $20 to camp and that includes everyone in your truck and that gets you into hammer town if your coming up for the day you have the pay the Spector fee

hawgty55

Reaction score
From what I have been told this year is $20 to camp and that includes everyone in your truck and that gets you into hammer town if your coming up for the day you have the pay the Spector fee
That seems unlikely to me I can see 20 a car load for spectating but not into hammertown i would believe a wristband for each individual would be needed at $20.

If yall never been hammertown is its own area in Johnson valley that they gate off for vendors and what not.

Wasnt hijacking i will not be attending this year. Ill be watching online.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Sorr
That seems unlikely to me I can see 20 a car load for spectating but not into hammertown i would believe a wristband for each individual would be needed at $20.

If yall never been hammertown is its own area in Johnson valley that they gate off for vendors and what not.

Wasnt hijacking i will not be attending this year. Ill be watching online.

Sorry I just re read my post the 20 bucks is just to camp not get into hammer town i could be wrong they have not really gave much information and it sucks

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Here is ticket information

Attachments

• A4940D52-D700-4C9E-BAF8-C7CC5C9B3C30.png
    A4940D52-D700-4C9E-BAF8-C7CC5C9B3C30.png
    586.6 KB · Views: 47

hawgty55

Reaction score
Sorr

Sorry I just re read my post the 20 bucks is just to camp not get into hammer town i could be wrong they have not really gave much information and it sucks
Yeah that's usually how the event is. I would guess to believe that that makes sense I would pay that all day long $20 to camp and if you want to go in specifically to hammer down charge an excess amount for that.

It obviously started out as a free its public land then went to donations and now to being charged.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I just revived this in my email so maybe it is good for the whole week
I will have to see when I get there

LOCATION INFORMATION
HAMMER TOWN
Boone Road
Johnson Valley, CA 92285
THESE ARE YOUR ENTRY TICKETS FOR THE 2020 KING OF HAMMER EVENT. YOUR ULTRA 4 COMPETITION LICENSE IS VALID AS YOUR KoH ENTRY AS WELL.

YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE A DOWNLOADABLE IPHONE OR ANDROID WALLET PASS IN A SEPARATE EMAIL FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE OF USING YOUR SMARTPHONE TO ENTER. THE WALLET PASS WILL HAVE A DUPLICATE SCAN CODE AS IN THIS EMAIL. YOU CAN ONLY SCAN ONCE TO EXCHANGE FOR YOUR KING OF HAMMERS WRIST BANDS AND PASSES.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
$20 per RV.

$30 per person.

Family of five camping would be $120

BIGRED9158

Reaction score

leaving early tomorrow can let you guys know what the cost is all I have paid for so far is the camping pass

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Is there cell service there now?

yz450mm

Reaction score
They kept the Saturday Night concert band identity pretty top secret, I figured it would be somebody that was known but not all that big.

It was definitely cool to see Sublime with Rome come out and play, especially since they started with some of their old school songs. By the way, they sound awesome in person, so if you like Sublime then I would highly recommend seeing them live.

Weather was perfect for the most part, but we went through a brown out when we were crossing the lake bed on Saturday afternoon. Stopped for a few minutes and let it pass, then continued on.
20200208_151325.jpg
20200208_200631.jpg
20200208_210354.jpg

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
They sounded great, I was really surprised to hear they were playing. I must have walked right past you.. LOL

Warm days, cold nights. Mega dust. But some insane cars as usual. The event has really grown over the years. I couldn't believe how crazy it was.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
bummed I missed it again this year. The live stream was awesome though, you really can't beat sitting at home, with no dirt in your ears, and getting all the action! The Helicopter shots were rad :)
Fantastic race this year, was stoked to have a new king (almost a Queen, stupid water pumps), bummed some of my favorites got dQ'ed (Tom Wayes, went back for a repair, returned to the place that he turned around, and Dave Cole told him to get off the course, he was dq'ed) and the shootout was a yawn... The T1 trucks are so fun to watch, was stoked for Menzies, I understand he lost the Baja 1000? Not sure I really don't follow it. I need a friggen jeep... ;)

hawgty55

Reaction score
Ya it was pretty cozy watching the live stream. They do a great job with what there given in that location.