WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

KTM Advice

LAPII

Reaction score
Is it worth the upgrade from a Honda CRF250X to KTM 350EXC-F?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
All depends if you need a plate.. Is your CRF250x plated?

LAPII

Reaction score
Not plated, looking for more power and possibly start doing trail adventure rides (plated bike needed) but I wanted to know if any of the KTM guys had issues with their fuel injection and other thoughts?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Not plated, looking for more power and possibly start doing trail adventure rides (plated bike needed) but I wanted to know if any of the KTM guys had issues with their fuel injection and other thoughts?

Pretty much all the FI issues have been sorted out by now.. The 350exc is an incredible machine and the plate makes it all that more desirable. If riding out west I would suggest the 500 exc...

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 EXC 500. All I can say about it is that its freaking AWESOME!! The fuel injection works perfectly, and there are aftermarket electronic tuners for the bikes just like cars and trucks have. Another plus is you don't have to worry about jetting anymore. Im going on a ride in Colorado next month and don't have to touch a thing. Just hit the electric start and ride away. I've had zero issues with my bike and would highly recommend any of the new fuel injected KTM's to anyone. The only draw back is the price. They are expensive, but after riding it some time now the price is totally worth what I get from the bike.

LAPII

Reaction score
Dan help me justify why the 500 over the 350? I ride Cal City a lot and Gorman, plan on branching out to Mammoth area this season for some overnights.

LAPII

Reaction score
I want a balance of agility and power, over just raw power, if that sounds possible? Was also looking at the Husky 449 and Husaberg 300 but cant find anyone state side that knows too much about them? Seems like service could be a problem with those two also.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I've pretty much have ridden everything out there and with that said, the KTM500exc is pretty much the best dualsport bike ever, (and I'm a Yamaha guy). The 500exc has loads of torque and it handles everything. KTM has their bikes handling great and they're reliable. But, If I were a 150lb woods racer I might consider the 350 as it's a little bit lighter on its feet. But, I'm an old fat guy that loves big power and I would choose the 500, the power is just too intoxicating.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Dan help me justify why the 500 over the 350? I ride Cal City a lot and Gorman, plan on branching out to Mammoth area this season for some overnights.

Mammoth is horrible dont waste your time up there....:eek

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
The 500 is the perfect balance between power and agility. You can pretty much put it in 3rd gear and never shift for the rest of the day. You'd be surprised how light and nimble such a big bike feels. I would honestly have no issues going to the track and putting in some hard laps on it. It feels light like an MX bike and has the torque of a tractor.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here but...here is a link of me riding some tight stuff on the EXC 500. I think this shows the agility and power the bike has. Ok maybe I'm tooting my own horn a little bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I want a balance of agility and power, over just raw power, if that sounds possible? Was also looking at the Husky 449 and Husaberg 300 but cant find anyone state side that knows too much about them? Seems like service could be a problem with those two also.

The Husky 449 is in the same category as the KTM 500, and there's no comparison.. It's not even close, the KTM smokes it.. Now, the Husaberg 300 is pretty much a blue KTM 2 stroke. Those bikes kick ass and not street legal.... Husaberg does not sell a dual sport bike any more.. And, 2014 will be the last year for Husaberg as they recently got bought out by Husky. Sad for me, I ride a Husaberg FE450 (plated)... I love the bike..

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Only problem I've read about the 2013 KTM500 is the fuel line splitting in half but that's an easy fix, read that on TT..

Meaney77

Reaction score
I still scratch my head why Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki, etc.... dont get into this market. They all need to step up and make a bike with a plate that would compete with the KTM and some of the others. Lets be real the KLX, DRZ, the XL are turds... there is a market out there for a light weight aluminum frame bike with a descent motor and plate.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I still scratch my head why Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki, etc.... dont get into this market. They all need to step up and make a bike with a plate that would compete with the KTM and some of the others. Lets be real the KLX, DRZ, the XL are turds... there is a market out there for a light weight aluminum frame bike with a descent motor and plate.

Agreed 100%

Meaney77

Reaction score
I think they refer to KTM as Keep Throwing Money at it???? I think.....!

LAPII

Reaction score

I think part of it is, dual sport is starting to surge in popularity with the huge adventure rides and the TV programs, that the Japan 4 are on the late freight. But I wouldn't be surprised if they put out some new bikes in 3 years. Great video! Well off to Bert's on Sunday. Not necessarily buying there.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
View attachment 282741 PICT1596.jpg

Kyle, You ready for Colorado... :D My bike's all good to go.. Can't wait.... :thumbup:

Attachments

• DSC04125.jpg
    DSC04125.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 40

Meaney77

Reaction score
I think part of it is, dual sport is starting to surge in popularity with the huge adventure rides and the TV programs, that the Japan 4 are on the late freight. But I wouldn't be surprised if they put out some new bikes in 3 years. Great video! Well off to Bert's on Sunday. Not necessarily buying there.

To be honest with you, I hope the market isn't gaining more popularity. The bitchen thing about DS'ing is riding the awesome single track that isn't whooped out with a bunch of clowns on the trials. I am not into any of those organized rides at all. (I have done one and it was fun) The group of guys I ride/rode with we were all about pioneering new trials and not turning back. Your kinda committed regardless of how hair ball and white knuckle it gets.

Meaney77

Reaction score
View attachment 282741

Kyle, You ready for Colorado... :D My bike's all good to go.. Can't wait.... :thumbup:

Thats what I am talking about Dan!!:thumbup::boobeyes::boobeyes::thumbup::thumbup:

If you are riding CO, I think you need to take a bunch of pix and give the play by play like Hammer, and DaytonaBabes trips, that would be killer.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
To be honest with you, I hope the market isn't gaining more popularity. The bitchen thing about DS'ing is riding the awesome single track that isn't whooped out with a bunch of clowns on the trials.

X2

Faceaz

Reaction score
First, don't go Husaberg. Good bikes, but KTM just bought Husqvarna & is going to kill off the Husaberg brand. Husaberg was formed by ex Husqvarna employees, so it's kind of like they're going home. 2nd, it depends if new for the 350? 2011 was ok, 2012 better, but they smashed it out of the park in 2013 - finally getting the 350 right (not positive about the ex model). I haven't ridden it, that's based on reviews. Personally I really like the 250x, but in my mind the 350 could be the perfect bike - never having ridden it LOL. I wouldn't hesitate to give the bike a shot.

On a last note, if you like the Husqvarna, KTM will be giving some excellent deals to flush out the old BMW inventory. They bought the rights to Husqvarna, but not all the technology BMW brought to them - expect Husky's to become more KTMish in the coming years.

LAPII

Reaction score
First, don't go Husaberg. Good bikes, but KTM just bought Husqvarna & is going to kill off the Husaberg brand. Husaberg was formed by ex Husqvarna employees, so it's kind of like they're going home. 2nd, it depends if new for the 350? 2011 was ok, 2012 better, but they smashed it out of the park in 2013 - finally getting the 350 right (not positive about the ex model). I haven't ridden it, that's based on reviews. Personally I really like the 250x, but in my mind the 350 could be the perfect bike - never having ridden it LOL. I wouldn't hesitate to give the bike a shot.

On a last note, if you like the Husqvarna, KTM will be giving some excellent deals to flush out the old BMW inventory. They bought the rights to Husqvarna, but not all the technology BMW brought to them - expect Husky's to become more KTMish in the coming years.

Appreciate the comments, thats helps, wasn't aware of the acquisition from KTM... came here instead of TT cuz I know a lot of guys here ride orange. Looking at 2013 models and up by the way. My CRF is very well taken care of 04. Have couple of more boating months to make decision, although I just read all EXC 500's are back ordered hmm.

Faceaz

Reaction score
04 CRF250's will eventually suck the valves & you'll need the head rebuilt - if you haven't already. Doesn't matter how well taken care of. Something to consider in possibly making the swap.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Appreciate the comments, thats helps, wasn't aware of the acquisition from KTM... came here instead of TT cuz I know a lot of guys here ride orange. Looking at 2013 models and up by the way. My CRF is very well taken care of 04. Have couple of more boating months to make decision, although I just read all EXC 500's are back ordered hmm.

FWIW, keep your eyes open on Race Dezert and also CL for a plated 450X. 2 of my friends just found plated X's in good condition with good after market parts for ~$5K. The 450X with a plate is pretty bad ass on the trails and a good time going down Decker to the beach...You can put a cam in them and block off the smog nonsense and they become pretty responsive and very reliable.

LAPII

Reaction score
Wondering if I should keep an eye for a deal on a Husa FE350 in the coming months, save some dough, than on a new KTM?

LAPII

Reaction score
FWIW, keep your eyes open on Race Dezert and also CL for a plated 450X. 2 of my friends just found plated X's in good condition with good after market parts for ~$5K. The 450X with a plate is pretty bad ass on the trails and a good time going down Decker to the beach...You can put a cam in them and block off the smog nonsense and they become pretty responsive and very reliable.

Will definitely keep that in mind.....have to do some research now with all the extra info here, have any of you guys with the FI model KTM's played with tuning on them?

riverratmike

Reaction score
still stickin' with my Yamaha WR450 been the best machine I've ever owed. Had it 9 years and not one single problem with it, never do anything to it other than change the oil and air filter. Tons power and fun to ride.

Faceaz

Reaction score
Wondering if I should keep an eye for a deal on a Husa FE350 in the coming months, save some dough, than on a new KTM?

I'm sure KTM will still support the parts & they're really good bikes. But, like any brand that goes out of business, expect your resale & ability to find a buyer interested in an off / out of business brand, to fall through the floor. The brand never really made it in the US, it will be worth more in parts in a few years.

LAPII

Reaction score
Just read the LA Times article on KTM buying both company's, well if I see really good deal on a Husaberg, might jump, otherwise going to focus on KTM. Seems they are putting a lot of capital behind dual sport, which is a good thing. Just have to figure 350 or 500.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

LAPII

Reaction score
I'm good, just layin low.......lurking a lot.......got tired of the BS...so just lurking. But had a question I knew some of the guys could help with. Hope things are good with you.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Will definitely keep that in mind.....have to do some research now with all the extra info here, have any of you guys with the FI model KTM's played with tuning on them?

I put the JD kit on mine with the handle bar 3 way switch. It works killer. The JD kit got rid of the lean pop the bike has when its stock. The factory has to tune them so lean to meet emission rules that they pop every time you let off the gas. Along with the kit I removed some unnecessary hoses and other stuff. When I ride I leave the switch in the stock (not really stock because the computer has adjusted some fuel ratios to make it run better) position until I get into tight stuff or steep stuff. Then the "Wild" setting really lets me just chug it over just about anything. It's pretty cool set up, and you can really tell a difference in the bike by flipping the switch mounted on the bars.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Bought this turd this year and love it. (Husa FS-570) It rips in the canyon and is fun as hell to ride.
I say get whatever bike you find the best deal on IMO.

I have had bikes all my life (even sold them for a few years) Everyone makes a good bike now days and to the average chump like most of us, (i'm talking about a person who does not test every new bike that comes out on a track for a magazine) We will never tell the small differences between all the makes and models, at least I never could.
Just my 2cents.

mms_picture.jpg

kiethco

Reaction score
I thought I'd never want to change from my 525 EXC. It's an 04. Then I started reading about the new 350 exc. I want one. Jerry Grabow, D-37 Offroad President, got some seat time on one and he was blown away. He said it's a few pounds lighter but feels 40 pounds lighter. The only place he missed his 500 was at the very top end.
Unless you're racing, I don't think you'd miss anything with the 350, but would gain a lot in flickability, maneuverability and less fatigue.

The 350 exc is gonna be my next bike

Froggystyle

Reaction score
FWIW, I have an 03 525Exc and get to ride a 12 530 Exc a lot. I can't decide which I like more, or if I do like one more.

My 03 is dialed with all the goodies and a Rekluse clutch. Best investment for technical riding ever.

The reason my buddy bought the 12 is I wouldn't sell mine, so he built his 12 up like it from the Rekluse to the Flexx bars. Bothered rad, and I have ridden every hard DS ride in Cali at this point I think.

I won't sell it. Too sweet, too dialed, and nothing new is worth the squeeze over what I have.

My other friend has a 11 400 and I hugely prefer the more powerful bikes to it, though he claims he prefers the "light" feel of the 400, though it isn't an ounce lighter.

Last edited:

Bigmutha

Reaction score
I ride a WR450 and I bought my son a 2012 KTM 350XCF. I love the KTM and plan on getting one for myself. So far we have had zero issues with the bike. The fuel injection is spot on and the bike just rips,:thumbsup I love the components KTM puts on the stock bikes.

HotRod82

Reaction score
I ride a 525 and have ridden a 350 several times. The 350 may feel a little lighter but it is only a couple pounds, so when you are in a tight spot and need to lift the bike there is no weight advantage at all. Two reasons I will buy a 500 next year instead of a 350....First, the 350 does not have that bottom end grunt the 500 has where you can just crack the throttle and go up a steep hill or through deep sand with no effort. I found riding the 350 required a downshift and/or a lot of clutch in these situations. Second, the 350 flat out blows on the pavement. I ride very little asphalt, just what is required to connect trails and the 350 does not have the power to run freeway speeds and still have power to pass cars if need be. I think it really comes down to riding ability and riding style and for me the 350 just does not get it done.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I have an '03 450 and love it. They're a little more quirky to work on by I don't have any major complaints except the fact that I don't have the black wheels.

My neighbor just sold his bosses brand new 500 with maybe 1,000 miles on it for $8,300. Ridiculous deal. Another one might be coming around as he bought a new one and will most likely ride a few times and put up for sale again. Sold a '12 and bought a '13.

thmterry

Reaction score
I know you want newer but I have a great deal on a 2005 KTM450EXC $2400.00. I was going to register it in AZ so I would have a plate. I traded it for a jet ski and I just don't need it. Great bike though!!!

2005 KTM 450EXC -
71.3 hours, 1365 miles.

Moose hand guards
Devol radiator guards
Eline carbon fiber boot guards
Leo Vince x3 pipe
Excel black rims
3 gallon dez tank
Enduro Engineering tall seat
Enduro Eng skid
Tool bag
Various other aftermarket parts
Original seat, tank and other takeoffs included.