WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

L.A. Riots from a Cops Perspective

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Well here we go again. There is all kinds of information out there and some of it s a bit misleading. I figured why not give this community a bit of insight into how the cops around SoCal are responding to the "Peaceful Protest" and what you can expect from us in return. Any and all associated with Law Enforcement here in L.A. or across the nation that are on the boards are welcome to join in the discussion.

********* This is not a thread asking for pats on the back. There is plenty of that from members already and it is much appreciated but not necessary ***********

********* Here is my perspective. As usual, I know there are some real haters on here, so understand these are my views and opinions. I am not a spokes person from my department, nor am I promoting any policy or procedural actions that should be followed by anybody sworn or civilian. **********

Couple things I will address that I have heard repeatedly on here and on the news.

Why are the cops just letting the "Peaceful Protestors" riot and loot with simply arresting them and kicking everyone out?
1) That is logistically impossible.
2) Our hands have been tied in regards to what we can actually do to affect an arrest in these situations and we DO NOT have the backing of the politicians in this state to really stop this quickly
3) With exception to direct acts of physical violence towards a person, the "Peaceful Protestors" are basically destroying property. Unless a life is in danger in that situation, we will not risk harm to individuals or ourselves to stop them from damaging property or looting. Much of this based on how many "boots on the ground" we have at the time. Do not mistake this for a free pass to loot.
4) California has made it VERY CLEAR that they do not care about enforcing actual laws on the books in regards to petty theft, vandalism, out right destruction of public property, or assaults against police. This was already in place long before these riots starting with AB 109 all the way through Prop 47. California voted for it, the police are simply following the guide lines.

Why don't the cops just stop everyone from protesting?
1) IT IS EVERY CITIZENS RIGHT TO PROTEST, AND IT IS THE DUTY OF POLICE TO PROTECT THAT RIGHT.
2) If you understand #1, then you already understand why they simply will not shut down every protest until it goes bad. Believe it or not, Cops DO RESPECT the Constitution and are sworn to protect it.

Why didn't the cops stop this earlier in the week or Friday when things started to get out of hand?
1) This situation is not a simple one. There are many things going on behind the scenes in regards to managing employees and having personnel available to respond. When things got out of hand on Friday many departments started ramping up their response teams in anticipation of the escalation of events.
2) If you understand personnel management then you might also understand logistical arrangements. Once the national guard was deployed it took them almost 12 hours to ramp up and start getting personnel and equipment on scene. Cops have a bit of advantage here because we are already in the field with minimal response gear.
3) Politicians. We can not simply shut down protests, mobilize entire filed forces, or close neighborhoods without the involvement of our local politicians. They are notified when anything significant goes on anywhere I know of, and you can imagine how many of them respond when faced with this type of police action.

Above are the three main questions I hear repeatedly asked on the news and from victims of this thing. Below is more of my personal perspective on this thing.

These protests are well organized and funded from somewhere. There are absolutely good people on the protest lines trying to get their voice heard in regards to things they believe in. I respect that and understand that. As always, there are small groups infiltrating these protests to incite violence and cause panic. As someone who "hypothetically" would be on the front line of those protests, ABSOFUCKINGLOOTLY it would be easy to place a couple pepper ball rounds directly in the face of those inciting violence. The problem with that is one miss and you may hit a non violent person simply exercising their rights. It is a very fine line we have to walk, and based on actions of the past, in most cases we are forced to simply hold the line while being expected to absorb the violence and abuse from those there to cause harm.

If we responded with a heavy hand, it would only feed into the false narrative that was promoted heavily under our last President, and has carried on through our media and local domestic terrorist groups. One of the things we are seeing is police stations being attacked. I can tell you right now, everyone in my cop shop has made it very clear. Some idiot vandalizing a window is just an idiot, but if that idiot breaks through and enters, there is only one reason for that. That action will be addressed immediately and people may be seriously injured or die. They will not take our building period. It is crazy that this is even something being discussed but that is the reality of what we are dealing with.

Aside from dealing with Protestors, the men and women who work Law Enforcement and Fire/Paramedic/EMT are still having to handle the every day calls for service in their areas. This is a whole other level of awareness because while doing so, you don't have an entire squad of partners backing you up. We have already experienced a higher number of random people driving by while we are out on an investigation shouting things or making hand gestures. It wouldn't take much for something bad to happen on one of those routine calls daily.

It will be interesting to see how long this all plays out. Now that the National Guard is in place to hold positions, things in the active areas will be much easier to control. Who knows how long that will go on. Much of it has to do with how long our State Governor is willing to use the national guard. I would assume his political party will only tolerate so much of that due to the upcoming election cycle.

For the foreseeable future, I along with the majority of LEO's, Fire/Paramedics/EMT's will be working everyday. The paycheck will be awesome, but the headache will probably be non stop :cool:

To anybody else out there on the frontlines in any capacity, stay safe and keep your head on a swivel.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Well here we go again. There is all kinds of information out there and some of it s a bit misleading. I figured why not give this community a bit of insight into how the cops around SoCal are responding to the "Peaceful Protest" and what you can expect from us in return. Any and all associated with Law Enforcement here in L.A. or across the nation that are on the boards are welcome to join in the discussion.

********* This is not a thread asking for pats on the back. There is plenty of that from members already and it is much appreciated but not necessary ***********

********* Here is my perspective. As usual, I know there are some real haters on here, so understand these are my views and opinions. I am not a spokes person from my department, nor am I promoting any policy or procedural actions that should be followed by anybody sworn or civilian. **********

Couple things I will address that I have heard repeatedly on here and on the news.

Why are the cops just letting the "Peaceful Protestors" riot and loot with simply arresting them and kicking everyone out?
2) Our hands have been tied in regards to what we can actually do to affect an arrest in these situations and we DO NOT have the backing of the politicians in this state to really stop this quickly
3) With exception to direct acts of physical violence towards a person, the "Peaceful Protestors" are basically destroying property. Unless a life is in danger in that situation, we will not risk harm to individuals or ourselves to stop them from damaging property or looting. Much of this based on how many "boots on the ground" we have at the time. Do not mistake this for a free pass to loot.
4) California has made it VERY CLEAR that they do not care about enforcing actual laws on the books in regards to petty theft, vandalism, out right destruction of public property, or assaults against police. This was already in place long before these riots starting with AB 109 all the way through Prop 47. California voted for it, the police are simply following the guide lines.

1) IT IS EVERY CITIZENS RIGHT TO PROTEST, AND IT IS THE DUTY OF POLICE TO PROTECT THAT RIGHT.
2) If you understand #1, then you already understand why they simply will not shut down every protest until it goes bad. Believe it or not, Cops DO RESPECT the Constitution and are sworn to protect it.

Why didn't the cops stop this earlier in the week or Friday when things started to get out of hand?
1) This situation is not a simple one. There are many things going on behind the scenes in regards to managing employees and having personnel available to respond. When things got out of hand on Friday many departments started ramping up their response teams in anticipation of the escalation of events.
2) If you understand personnel management then you might also understand logistical arrangements. Once the national guard was deployed it took them almost 12 hours to ramp up and start getting personnel and equipment on scene. Cops have a bit of advantage here because we are already in the field with minimal response gear.
3) Politicians. We can not simply shut down protests, mobilize entire filed forces, or close neighborhoods without the involvement of our local politicians. They are notified when anything significant goes on anywhere I know of, and you can imagine how many of them respond when faced with this type of police action.

Above are the three main questions I hear repeatedly asked on the news and from victims of this thing. Below is more of my personal perspective on this thing.

These protests are well organized and funded from somewhere. There are absolutely good people on the protest lines trying to get their voice heard in regards to things they believe in. I respect that and understand that. As always, there are small groups infiltrating these protests to incite violence and cause panic. As someone who "hypothetically" would be on the front line of those protests, ABSOFUCKINGLOOTLY it would be easy to place a couple pepper ball rounds directly in the face of those inciting violence. The problem with that is one miss and you may hit a non violent person simply exercising their rights. It is a very fine line we have to walk, and based on actions of the past, in most cases we are forced to simply hold the line while being expected to absorb the violence and abuse from those there to cause harm.

If we responded with a heavy hand, it would only feed into the false narrative that was promoted heavily under our last President, and has carried on through our media and local domestic terrorist groups. One of the things we are seeing is police stations being attacked. I can tell you right now, everyone in my cop shop has made it very clear. Some idiot vandalizing a window is just an idiot, but if that idiot breaks through and enters, there is only one reason for that. That action will be addressed immediately and people may be seriously injured or die. They will not take our building period. It is crazy that this is even something being discussed but that is the reality of what we are dealing with.

Aside from dealing with Protestors, the men and women who work Law Enforcement and Fire/Paramedic/EMT are still having to handle the every day calls for service in their areas. This is a whole other level of awareness because while doing so, you don't have an entire squad of partners backing you up. We have already experienced a higher number of random people driving by while we are out on an investigation shouting things or making hand gestures. It wouldn't take much for something bad to happen on one of those routine calls daily.

It will be interesting to see how long this all plays out. Now that the National Guard is in place to hold positions, things in the active areas will be much easier to control. Who knows how long that will go on. Much of it has to do with how long our State Governor is willing to use the national guard. I would assume his political party will only tolerate so much of that due to the upcoming election cycle.

For the foreseeable future, I along with the majority of LEO's, Fire/Paramedics/EMT's will be working everyday. The paycheck will be awesome, but the headache will probably be non stop :cool:

To anybody else out there on the frontlines in any capacity, stay safe and keep your head on a swivel.
👍👍🇺🇸

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I appreciate what you guy do and know your hands are tied based political policy’s.

But with the last sentence. It’s sure does make it for a free pass to loot and destroy property. Basically everyone looses police protection and it allows the criminals to run free and do as they wish. That‘s BS.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I have to laugh, one of the signs that I’ve seen a couple of times held up by what I’m assuming is ANTIFA members is “abolish the police” do these nut cases not know what’s going to happen to them if the rednecks of this country let loose? LOL

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I appreciate what you guy do and know your hands are tied based political policy’s.

But with the last sentence. It’s sure does make it for a free pass to loot and destroy property. Basically everyone looses police protection and it allows the criminals to run free and do as they wish. That‘s BS.
I get your point. I think you will see a different scenario once the National Guard is in place to hold positions and we can play cops and looters.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I get your point. I think you will see a different scenario once the National Guard is in place to hold positions and we can play cops and looters.

Let’s hope so, it’s just mind boggling LE needed to write tickets and arrest people for not listening to the covid shut down. But allows destruction to a city.

If my business was located in LA I would be protecting it the best I can with leaving nothing off the table how I would be protecting it.

Be safe out there.

Performance Grips

Reaction score

I think most people have a clear understanding that the politicians and city and state leaders are calling the shots. You see very little escalation in Republican run cities. I feel that Garcetti is the big problem but Chief Moore in my opinion is putting the LAPD officers in danger. He is a horrible leader as far as I can see and was greatly unprepared. I know the officers are not cowards or afraid to protect the community. I know the LAPD is very well trained. So it definitely points to the leadership trying hands and not having the officers backs. Be safe.

Performance Grips

Reaction score
I have to laugh, one of the signs that I’ve seen a couple of times held up by what I’m assuming is ANTIFA members is “abolish the police” do these nut cases not know what’s going to happen to them if the rednecks of this country let loose? LOL
Those people with those abolish police signs are all Karen's when they don't have a crowd to be a part of. They would be the first to call for help.

hallett3

Reaction score
LAPD made some serious mistakes Saturday second day of protest. On Friday night the protesters were in downtown and over 500 arrest were made. Some damages and graffiti. I say not bad could have gotten worse. Now on Saturday here you had more protesters on the streets, and several group locations at the grove. First and foremost you don’t leave yours police cars alone to get damaged when your in mobile field force mode on a tac alert. I counted 15 which two or three were burned. So Chief Moore was there and I’m sure a lot of commanders and deputy chiefs. This is where it always goes wrong for LAPD. So you have police cars getting damage and businesses vandalized. This is not a peaceful protest. So you don’t do nothing, allowing the crowds to get bigger and bigger, and mother fuck you for hours and hours before night fall. You have knowledge that they were there to destroy business where rich white people shop. They have caused damages already. Typical LAPD command staff afraid to make a decision. LAPD should have dispersed the crowd immediately after these crimes have occurred. This is how the rank and file get hurt more oftentimes because they will never learn to make the correct decisions. From the Mayor on down you failed because you were afraid of lawsuits which will happen anyways and so called the right to protest. I worked lapd for 33 years and was in the 1992 riots Working 77th Division so I know what I’m talking about. Seeing this on the news, the chief failed big time yesterday. Stay safe LEO

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I am grateful for the men and women LEO’s - you’re the only buffer between the criminals and law abiding citizens in our society. You’re in a nearly impossible situation and until the POS politicians stand on the front lines (and they never will) or be courageous enough to do the right thing it’s unlikely these liberal politicians will empower you to do your jobs.

As the numbers of thugs and anarchists increase across the nation I wonder when gunfire will break out. If this is allowed to continue and the liberal politicians, black leaders and clergy don’t speak out and work to end this the violence will only escalate and shootings will result.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Dude. You could have scratched at least three or four parking cites in the time it took you to type that up! Get back to it Brother!! 😁

Right??
WTH are tax dollars paying for anyway???

J/K....go get em killer!!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It's all digital now. 7 stokes of keyboard, check a couple boxes, and it prints up nice and pretty like. Us Tactical Meter maids never rest. 😆

Huh.
my ticket was hand written!
(I got off easy compared to the other 100 mph over club members there)

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
T&Y is spot on - he clearly gets it and understands completely. His reasons are why it matters where you live - I’m not talking about the weather, it matters who’s in charge, what the density is, and ratios.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@t&y , I have been gone since the wheels fell off...limited interweb at my river pad. Saw a sign on I40 about curfew heading home, and thought of you people "heading to the front". Take care, paychecks are paychecks, but the money doesn't mean crap if you're racked up and can't spend it and time with your family.

Same goes for all you "first responder" types. Shit gets real, and real fast. I'm glad I'm not there, and worried about some of those I know who are...

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
t&y help me understand why the politicians continue to be so lenient on street criminals both on prosecuting and incarcerating but if we react by protecting ourselves and personal property are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The city/government/insurance companies are not going to reimburse us and make us completely whole for the loss and or beating. We ultimately end up paying for it through taxes, insurance premiums/deductibles and court system. If they are not going to protect me, my family and everything we have sacrificed for we should be allowed to fire at will and if someone pays with their life then that is the consequence of their actions not mine. I simply made a decision to not take it in the ass any longer because the system no longer supported me and my family’s needs. I would rather be Tried by 12 than carried by 6. Guess it’s time to order more ammo and lawyer up. We’re on your side but things have gotten out of hand and it sickens my stomach to watch things/businesses be taken down to rubble. If law enforcement is forced to look the other way toward the thugs I would appreciate the same courtesy. BTW every fire arm I possess is legally registered and I already have my CWP. Stay Safe and Praying for your Protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Runnin

Reaction score
The police in so many cities are doing very little to nothing to protect the citizens or their property
....That is not their job! -- And would be an impossible mission!

River Runnin

Reaction score
There's 2 Idiots on drugs outside with guns that I crossed my eyes at after I passed them and after they brake job'd me! Leo wasn't there when I got chased, (They petered @ 100mph - I had 30 more) They see where I turn, I say get the fuck out of here! Fuck! I just got shot!

NOW! LEO's job starts! ....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There's 2 Idiots on drugs outside with guns that I crossed my eyes at after I passed them and after they brake job'd me! Leo wasn't there when I got chased, (They petered @ 100mph - I had 30 more) They see where I turn, I say get the fuck out of here! Fuck! I just got shot!

NOW! LEO's job starts! ....

huh?

77hallett

Reaction score
Hold the line, brother. Thank you for keeping everyone safe. The videos I’ve seen across social media looks like shit we see on deployments. It’s crazy to see it here at home. Stay safe out there.

River Runnin

Reaction score
LOL... I'm just saying LE cannot protect you as an individual, it's not their job. they'd have to -- Keep in eye on you 24/7! -- everywhere you go!
They are there for you, or family AFTER a crime has been committed, ( or a lawfully shot lead filled naked scumbag laying on the floor in your house.) :)

Last edited:

pixrthis

Reaction score

Are property owners at legal risk defending their property by any means possible? I know any means possible is vague but I would expect means to escalate as the threat escalates.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Griffith Park on lockdown multiple attempts to set the park on fire talk about ridiculous

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Santa Monica city government thought it would not happen to themThe protesters have figured out to go after the affluent shopping centers that’s why their department got caught with their pants down

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
You guys are in a tough position. 1000 cameras pointed at your every move. Vandals out everywhere ready to steal shit as soon as they can.

It is disturbing how close to the surface the violence bubbles. These fuckers would go house to house if they could get away with it. Every household should have weapons and know how to use them. It's a sad fact.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Santa Monica city government thought it would not happen to them The protesters have figured out to go after the affluent shopping centers that’s why their department got caught with their pants down

That's because these "protesters" are different. They aren't protesters at all. They're anarchists who don't live in the cities they're destroying. They're mobile, communicating and planning their next attack. No one is safe from these anarchists.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's because these "protesters" are different. They aren't protesters at all. They're anarchists who don't live in the cities they're destroying. They're mobile, communicating and planning their next attack. No one is safe from these anarchists.
Sadly, by distance I and my family are physically safe. There are some far reaching implications though I see coming very quick.
I hope things get squashed quickly. I'd love to see PD flip on the black box to cut cell service in areas...

LowRiver2

Reaction score
They got “smart”, as in attack the wealth and not their own hoods

LowRiver2

Reaction score
For non LA folks, Griffith Park is 4300 acres, if they get it lit, going to be an even bigger shit show.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
t&y
Stay safe and thank you for your service.
OK, a question
Non lethal detterents not allowed?
tear or???

LowRiver2

Reaction score
t&y
Stay safe and thank you for your service.
OK, a question
Non lethal detterents not allowed?
tear or???
Depends on Department
Bad day when LASD needs to use armored vehicles to put out fires
3F9CB0A4-0512-4C19-9FBF-82D4DAD9A013.jpeg

LowRiver2

Reaction score
So what happened with LAPD response or lack of it?

Liberal city govt. dictating coddling of protestors and LAPD command not recognizing how to switch gears from “paralleling” peaceful protestors to arresting, clearing out rioters.

That and always remember, bad guys adjust their tactics to what Cops do, always will.
Our tactics of Mobile Field Force were copied by them in looting: Multiple suspects in cars would hit a store, loot, and move on to another store a few blocks or miles away. We were two steps behind for much of the weekend.

LASD brought in Wayside Jail assets that treated
The looting like a jail riot lockdown, and that worked well.
The mobile field forces of the 90’s , 2000-2010 would have left Cops to guard the cars.
That didn’t happen and I’m told 50 of our cars at $105k a piece were destroyed.

Bad decisions by leaders with little tactical experience.

I can only hope the Department starts promoting Former Metropolitan Division Cops again to fix this vaccum of leadership when the shit hits the fan.
Some embarrassing radio calls by Leaders with over 25 years on , ridiculous.

Got my old helmet out, dents are from the 2000 DNC.
9EE24B8F-1BBF-47FD-B111-97E6A57A6B5A.jpeg

LowRiver2

Reaction score
If that is a true statement, please direct the looters to the following residences. I will even pony up some bail for the perpetrators! Damn Illuminati. View attachment 883173

I’m seriously pushing all Current and Retired Cops I know to stop working off duty for celebrities. Let them protect themselves with unarmed guards in LA and see how that pans out.

traquer

Reaction score
So what happened with LAPD response or lack of it?

Liberal city govt. dictating coddling of protestors and LAPD command not recognizing how to switch gears from “paralleling” peaceful protestors to arresting, clearing out rioters.

That and always remember, bad guys adjust their tactics to what Cops do, always will.
Our tactics of Mobile Field Force were copied by them in looting: Multiple suspects in cars would hit a store, loot, and move on to another store a few blocks or miles away. We were two steps behind for much of the weekend.

LASD brought in Wayside Jail assets that treated
The looting like a jail riot lockdown, and that worked well.
The mobile field forces of the 90’s , 2000-2010 would have left Cops to guard the cars.
That didn’t happen and I’m told 50 of our cars at $105k a piece were destroyed.

Bad decisions by leaders with little tactical experience.

I can only hope the Department starts promoting Former Metropolitan Division Cops again to fix this vaccum of leadership when the shit hits the fan.
Some embarrassing radio calls by Leaders with over 25 years on , ridiculous.

Got my old helmet out, dents are from the 2000 DNC.
View attachment 883178
Stay safe man, thank you for the update. I can't even imagine what it's like to go to work everyday for you guys during these times. A good thought though is to remember that these days won't last forever. We got your back, and the majority of the US does as well.

hallett3

Reaction score
Long Beach command staff didn’t look like they can’t make a decision. Looks bad. These police chief’s are making big money and can’t make decisions.

Last edited: