WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

La Jolla/ San Diego Trip Recommendations

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
Flying out August 26th from KC and flying home the 29th for a conference at the Hyatt Regency @ Aventine. I do plan on visiting the Midway as that was an option for a outing but other then that nothing planned. Any food or site recommendations/must sees? First time to step foot in California. Thanks

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
Is downtown a long drive from La Jolla? I would definitely Uber. I hear all the horror stories of traffic but is it that bad in that area? I love seafood so those would be my main priority of places to eat. Thanks for the help.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Hit up the False Idol bar.

Of course I always recommend tiki bars in any town. However, this one is very good.

BONER

Reaction score
La Jolla is one of my favorite spots.

Yes, traffic can be really fucked. Especially in the Summer. There's only really one way in and one way out unless you want to go the long way around and dump out in PB.

I hate to say it, but all of San Diego and La Jolla is PACKED during the Summer months. Everybody from everywhere, goes there to Vacation. Anywhere you go, will be slammed.

Best way to see San Diego and La Jolla is between the New Year and Spring Break.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Times two little Italy. Not not tacos in the food hall in little Italy is a must. Cafe Nona if you want the real deal Italian food as well. Ballast point brewery down the road. Sea port village is cool too. Bahia don bravo in bird rock for world class fish tacos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
If your going to the midway, stop at the maritime museum too. they have a couple subs and some boats to check out.

https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/b-39-submarine/

are you looking to be a tourist or local spots???
Other then Midway I would prefer to stay away from tourist areas and be around locals. There will be plenty of drinks for free at the conference but if something looks fun I would definitely enjoy that also. Any good places for drinks or eats where my hotel is?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Pacific Beach boardwalk area has huge beaches, plenty of food/drink, Belmont Park amusement. Very local hangout yet touristy at the same time.
Rent bicycle and enjoy the sights and sounds. Easy access to Mission Bay from Belmont area of boardwalk.
Mid-week should make it feasible.

84miller

Reaction score
First time in CA and too few days. I lived and worked in San Diego since 1983, including many years in La Jolla. If you do it now and know of a night you would be going to dinner, best spot for you would be the Marine Room in La Jolla make a reservation online now. After that, plan to walk around downtown La Jolla, there are many open establishments with live music, walk in have a drink...then continue on. You will not find a better place than La Jolla, second would be Del Mar..

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input y’all, I appreciate it and look forward to my trip. Any inmates in the area let me know, will be more then happy to buy you a drink or 15. Crazy, just turned 44 and have never been on that side of the country. Have been farther west though, Alaska.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Prospect Street in La Jolla. Boboi for literally the best gelato in the country. The Marine Room is fancy, but the location is amazing. My friend David Knox has been a waiter there for about 30 years. There's lots of more casual and cheaper places on the beach down in Pacific Beach.

For Seafood try the Fishery in Pacific Beach. Herringbone is pretty amazing too for up scale fare in the village of La Jolla. The Aventine is over in UTC which is just east of La Jolla. You can't walk to La Jolla from there. I can see it from my roof.

You can't go wrong at nearly any local taco shop. El Cotixan is most people's favorite. Treat yourself to a Carnitas burrito or a California Burrito. Pacific Beach has an In n Out, so try that if you haven't ever done so.

Take a walk out onto the Pacific Beach Pier. Then north a block or two to the Bareback Grill. (Not Brokeback, LOL) Order the Lamb Burger. Hold the Mint Jelly stuff. To wash it down order the Raspy Mule. The sweet potato fries with blue cheese crumbles is a great starter dish.

Take a drive up to Mt. Soledad. You can see the white cross from miles away and it has amazing views. The Midway is indeed a great day. There's a few other old ships and submarines there to inspect as well. I think tickets are $16, but its worth it. I'd recommend Puesto for lunch.

LIttle Italy is a vibrant area full of mostly Italian influenced restaurants and wine bars. It is between La Jolla and the Midway.

You can Uber from your hotel to downtown for under $30. All these things are literally just minutes from my house. I assume we'll be home those dates and can show you around.

PlanB

Reaction score
Hotel Del on Coronado Island is another cool place to check out. You can take the ferry to the island next to the Midway, and then Uber to the hotel.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
So many possibilities... You’re going to want to plan a return trip to do half of these suggestions.

Definitely after checking out La Jolla head over the top of Mt Solidad on the way to Pacific Beach. You must experience the boardwalk at PB and hang at a bar and watch the scenery. If you feel like taking a ride on the roller coaster it’s been recently refurbished.

The Embarcadero is always cool to walk along. That’s where the Midway is and the star of India schooner.

Right across the street the Hyatt has a rooftop bar with killer views. Little Italy is not far for some great food. The Gas Lamp district is close by also if you want the downtown vibe.

Enjoy your trip!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Point Loma seafoods for lunch. Great little place to get fresh seafood.

http://www.pointlomaseafoods.com/mobile.php

And the view from Cabrillo National Monument is spectacular.
C2E5FA78-0A31-4751-8639-BD1AC3F59688.jpeg

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I like post # 19 and recommend it.

A quick drive down OB and sunset cliffs might be a 45min/hour well spent while right there.
The Mt. Soledad view is cool as well. While in La Jolla check it out.
Pic one of the three for a nice sunset.
Many things going on inland but while at the Beach....

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That looks amazing. Do you need to get reservations for most restaurants out there? I remember when I lived in Houston a one hour wait for a table was the norm at some restaurants. Thanks

Yeah the Cabrillo national monument isn’t too far from Point Loma seafoods. That place is first come first serve and table space gets limited.

Usually the high end places require a reservation but many places have a bar you can just walk in and eat. Plus they give you the happy hour deals! 4-6pm usually.