WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LA Long Beach Ports

D19

Reaction score
If we made anything here this wouldn't be an issue, but no, everyone wants $75/hr and full benefits. Guess there's no choice.

Bingo. Or jobs at the union where they only have to work 1 day every 6 months as stated above. That crap blows my mind!

Someday we will run our economy into a ditch and foreigners will cry because we won't be able to buy their goods anymore and American citizens will learn to live without because our government won't allow us to produce our own stuff.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good thing that most of our raw material is sourced within the good old United States of America.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Just to clarify.
The 1 day of work every 6 months will keep your union card active so you can work if desired. To qualify for insurance benefits you must work 800 hours in calendar year. I'm not a union member at the port. I work on the company side, so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I know enough. :p

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Just to clarify.
The 1 day of work every 6 months will keep your union card active so you can work if desired. To qualify for insurance benefits you must work 800 hours in calendar year.
That makes more sense. Thanks.

Singleton

Reaction score
Wow. In my union you have to work at least a 3-4 months to keep your insurance going. Not sure exactly. Never had to worry about it.

2040 hours is the average work year
So 800 hours (20 weeks) is equals to apx 3-4 months

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
So I work in paper distribution. VAST majority of product comes in from foreign mfg - China, s Korea, Germany, s America. We can’t make it here - most US mfg was shut down and melted down years ago - many reasons - govt won’t let you build a new mill, not green ( like the pipeline thing ),—unions went crazy in the 80’-90’s, and when the 09 ression hit, profit went away ( paying $40,000 to sweep the floor, $120,000 to actually work in the mill killed the golden goose ), so a lot of those containers on BOTH coasts are full of paper. The few American mills left realize it, and are raising prices as i type, with an imminent shortage only months away. We’re seeing the exact same freight increases - containers WERE $1,100 now are $4,800 - cost of goods are going up regardless WHERE it’s made. Doesn’t help printers - market will only pay so much before using other means and media, so more small businesses will be destroyed. I’ll never understand how I can see the outcome, but the guys making the decisions and the bank can’t. This is the only reason I’m happy to be close to the end of caring.

rrrr

Reaction score
I read a story on gCaptain that said many ships are being diverted to Mexico's Lazaro Cardenas port. It's located about 1,500 miles south of Long Beach, and rail traffic from there to US destinations has increased some 500% in the last three months.

Regarding the container shortage, since US exports to China are insignificant, more money can be made shipping them back to China empty instead of waiting for cargo to fill them. Currently about 75% of containers shipped from LA to China are empty.

rrrr

Reaction score
Just curious. What does working 1 day every 6 months get them. 🤷‍♂️

A story in today's WSJ says that when the Democrat's Free Stuff for Everyone COVID legislation bill is passed into law, over 50% of workers receiving state and federal unemployment benefits will be making more money than they did working. Combining that with their moratorium on evictions, a lot of people are going to have a leisurely summer. Why work when money and rent are free?

Between that, the $15 minimum wage hike, and opening the floodgates at the border, American small businesses are going to begin failing like Hunter Biden taking a drug test.

Congratulations on that well thought out vote of yours.

4Waters

Reaction score
A story in today's WSJ says that when the Democrat's Free Stuff for Everyone COVID legislation bill is passed into law, over 50% of workers receiving state and federal unemployment benefits will be making more money than they did working. Combining that with their moratorium on evictions, a lot of people are going to have a leisurely summer. Why work when money and rent are free?

Between that, the $15 minimum wage hike, and opening the floodgates at the border, American small businesses are going to begin failing like Hunter Biden taking a drug test.

All 50 million votes

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Well hopefully these jobless numbers keep going down. :cool:

Stocks inch up as jobless claims drop (msn.com)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
So American manufacturing has been kneecapped by environmental regulations and overpriced wages? Gosh, who could have predicted that??? 😜 :rolleyes::mad:👎

Singleton

Reaction score
Well hopefully these jobless numbers keep going down. :cool:

Stocks inch up as jobless claims drop (msn.com)

Number can be made to tell any story you want.
Let looks at the data
1- CDC updates C19 testing protocol in January. Two things occurred in that update, who get tested and % of virus required to be positive
2 - With changes in testing less people are now being marked as positive, so cases go down
3 - cases go down, so states are reopening (or in CA - governor is about to be recalled and opens state up)
4 - business get to reopen and rehire staff
5 - unemployment goes down

Another point not discussed, the new bill democrats want, will increase unemployment benefits. folks are delaying claims until those benefits start. You only get so many weeks, so a % is delaying the claim so they can max out the benefits.

that bill includes $15 minimum wage as well. Look what went down in Long Beach. City council passes bill requiring large grocery chains to increase pay by $4 an hour. Kroger is now closing stores in Long Beach effective April 17.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Number can be made to tell any story you want.
Let looks at the data
1- CDC updates C19 testing protocol in January. Two things occurred in that update, who get tested and % of virus required to be positive
2 - With changes in testing less people are now being marked as positive, so cases go down
3 - cases go down, so states are reopening (or in CA - governor is about to be recalled and opens state up)
4 - business get to reopen and rehire staff
5 - unemployment goes down

Another point not discussed, the new bill democrats want, will increase unemployment benefits. folks are delaying claims until those benefits start. You only get so many weeks, so a % is delaying the claim so they can max out the benefits.

that bill includes $15 minimum wage as well. Look what went down in Long Beach. City council passes bill requiring large grocery chains to increase pay by $4 an hour. Kroger is now closing stores in Long Beach effective April 17.
Good points. But like you say numbers can be made up to tell any story. Time will tell what actually happens. 🤷‍♂️

Singleton

Reaction score
Good points. But like you say numbers can be made up to tell any story. Time will tell what actually happens. 🤷‍♂️

This is going to sound bad, but I am saying it.
We can’t stop everyone from passing. This virus sucks and spreads quicker and causes harm to many. However we can’t save everyone. That is what select government officials are trying to do and it does not work. Trying to save 2% while hurting those that work pay check to pay check (these are the backbone of the economy) is not the right option.

Taboma

Reaction score
This is going to sound bad, but I am saying it.
We can’t stop everyone from passing. This virus sucks and spreads quicker and causes harm to many. However we can’t save everyone. That is what select government officials are trying to do and it does not work. Trying to save 2% while hurting those that work pay check to pay check (these are the backbone of the economy) is not the right option.

So selective demographic genocide, if it helps the economy is a viable solution ?

I do realize that's not exactly what you're suggesting, but it's a line that deserves careful consideration before crossing. I can think of numerous examples of certain groups or demographics of individuals who are costing the US economy vast amounts of money to keep alive.
What if there was genetic prediction testing, making it possible to simply eliminate these candidates prior to birth ? Imagine how much that would save ??
Not only that, but I'm sure it could be proved, that only birthing the best would produce superior future generations. Imagine how that would help society ??

Where do you start and where does it end ??

As I wrote, this isn't directed at your comment, because I clearly understand the sentiment you were conveying, this is a "What If" and "When".

Singleton

Reaction score
So selective demographic genocide, if it helps the economy is a viable solution ?

I do realize that's not exactly what you're suggesting, but it's a line that deserves careful consideration before crossing. I can think of numerous examples of certain groups or demographics of individuals who are costing the US economy vast amounts of money to keep alive.
What if there was genetic prediction testing, making it possible to simply eliminate these candidates prior to birth ? Imagine how much that would save ??
Not only that, but I'm sure it could be proved, that only birthing the best would produce superior future generations. Imagine how that would help society ??

Where do you start and where does it end ??

As I wrote, this isn't directed at your comment, because I clearly understand the sentiment you were conveying, this is a "What If" and "When".

Your 100% accurate. Not for that. But society better do a post virus debrief and figure out a better way next time.

Also - Some of those ‘what if’s’ are already possible. I worked at a place, we could take your DNA sequence and forecast your risk of disease. Then based some factors (diet, meds, etc), tell you want to do today to avoid that potential future issue. Cost per data run was over 500k

Taboma

Reaction score
Your 100% accurate. Not for that. But society better do a post virus debrief and figure out a better way next time.

Also - Some of those ‘what if’s’ are already possible. I worked at a place, we could take your DNA sequence and forecast your risk of disease. Then based some factors (diet, meds, etc), tell you want to do today to avoid that potential future issue. Cost per data run was over 500k

We'll be there for sure when AI starts making these decisions for us, thereby removing our burden of human guilt. The possibilities are endless and could be disguised in a multitude of ways, like a virus.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
I took this in Monday. I have a container has been sitting on the ship just outside the porch since January 21 we still can’t get it to a dock. That’s 100 grand in my money sitting there burning a hole in my wallet that I can’t collect on the worst part is I have 13 of them on the ocean. View attachment 969088

What do you do that requires that much inventory exposure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Why not ship your product through Port Hunemene in Ventura County. From what I understand there are much lower county fees there as well.
I have a friend in the crane business and when he buys a new crane always has it shipped into that port and he saves considerable amount of money.

boatpi

Reaction score
Because my container would have a considerable cost to go from Ventura to my freight forwarder in Gardena my material is in bundles and crates so it gets divan in Gardena then place on a flatbed to Las Vegas.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Why not ship your product through Port Hunemene in Ventura County. From what I understand there are much lower county fees there as well.
I have a friend in the crane business and when he buys a new crane always has it shipped into that port and he saves considerable amount of money.
I was thinking the same thing but also realized that Hunemene is relatively small and probably not set up for those types of volumes. I would imaging It would be a bit of a challenge for multiple large ships and probably a traffic nightmare with the influx of Semi's and cargo trailers.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
News Flash !!! There were people dying before covid - just sayin - we need to establish the bottom acceptable number. or we'll never satisfy the left

boatpi

Reaction score
Havasu Surfer, we import and distribute aluminum patio cover material, all extruded and powder coated.

The main operation is in Las Vegas, NO taxes. So we will soon have over 1 mil in inventory, that will support this area including Havasu, and support three other distributors we have established. One in Reseda, Phoenix, Reno, and Ft. Worth TX.

So we planned on stocking 250K back in late 2019...Now we have to back fill the distributors when they run short most often due to this 3+ month lead time. It is a double edge sword. I am sure others on the boards have experienced the same. Growth is very rapid, but it will even out by late March. The distributors do container direct, so we do not touch it, but still sell it and as we are the licensed importing arm, have to deal with all of this.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Wow how business has changed and evolved just to stay in business and remain competitive. Sounds like you got a strong stable business rolling along. Amazing what it cost the folks running these businesses just to stick around. I feel like that is entirely overlooked by employees as to how much owners are on the hook for. Wish you the best of luck!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

Port Hueneme is mainly a RoRo (roll on roll off) Port not a container port. They mainly service car manufacturers and select heavy machinery customer's.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Just to clarify.
The 1 day of work every 6 months will keep your union card active so you can work if desired. To qualify for insurance benefits you must work 800 hours in calendar year. I'm not a union member at the port. I work on the company side, so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I know enough. :p

1 day every 6 months is for casuals. Full timers are limited to 1 month. But doing that is stupid. You’ll lose your benefits and get no retirement. You need 1300 hours a year for it to be a full pension year and to get your benefits and full vacation pay. 800 hours gets you a good pension year but only 1 week vacation.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
We have no room. Limited amount of people working as well. A lot of people aren’t working cause they’re home taking care of their kids. A lot of people have gotten COVID. It ran through the foreman’s local really bad. The terminal I’m steady at now is a shit show. Crazy packed. For a while we weren’t getting rail cars to move the stuff out. So it is just piling up. We have some rail cargo I heard is going on almost 100 days or some shit. But we got almost 300 loaded tonight. [emoji16]

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
How is Covid an excuse lol. 14 days and it’s over and then you are immune.

I work in critical industry and we stayed open. I blame this on union lazy fucks taking advantage not legit illness.

boatpi

Reaction score
Update in overseas shipping costs.

In mid 2020, we paid $3,500, then by December $7,000 for a 40'. NOW extortion, just to get it on a ship in a decent amount of time, add another $3,000!!! So $10G per container. if not, the container just sits on the export dock for who knows how long. We now have 16 at sea/on order. A madhouse, but consumers are buying big time. Good for us as we sell extruded aluminum only, the cheap Alumawood roll formed products were just hit with a 32% tariff, and 200% if from Germany, all about dumping. We are now importing steel to use as in ground footing bases as the USA market cannot supply it, and we are paying a 25% tariff plus 10% and 5.5%. It adds up.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
How is Covid an excuse lol. 14 days and it’s over and then you are immune.

I work in critical industry and we stayed open. I blame this on union lazy fucks taking advantage not legit illness.

COVID isn’t really an excuse. It’s the overwhelming volume of cargo coming in that’s got shit fucked up.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
1 day every 6 months is for casuals. Full timers are limited to 1 month. But doing that is stupid. You’ll lose your benefits and get no retirement. You need 1300 hours a year for it to be a full pension year and to get your benefits and full vacation pay. 800 hours gets you a good pension year but only 1 week vacation.

Help me out here...You are saying that in order to have a full pension year with vacation, benefits, etc. you only need to work 32 days at 40 hours per day per year?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Help me out here...You are saying that in order to have a full pension year with vacation, benefits, etc. you only need to work 32 days at 40 hours per day per year?

1300 hours a year is what you need

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

1300 hours / 8 hour day is 162.5 work days. Or 25 hours a week. I could almost swing that and still keep my full time job just to get the pension...

boatpi

Reaction score
Tariff$$, just think of this. President Trump instituted the "Trump" Section 232 tariff two+ years ago. Everything entering every port is taxed at 10%. With all of this importing, can you imagine how much money Washington is making. In my mind it paid for the wall and military build up, so where is it going to now?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Everleading was just hit with a 900 million dollar fine for the Suez Debacle. That will get passed on to shipping costs too...

nowski

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, we now have a crisis at the port of LA per local news stations. Good to know everything is under control at our borders...

Reactions: DWC

Meaney77

Reaction score
Tariff$$, just think of this. President Trump instituted the "Trump" Section 232 tariff two+ years ago. Everything entering every port is taxed at 10%. With all of this importing, can you imagine how much money Washington is making. In my mind it paid for the wall and military build up, so where is it going to now?
It will be sitting on a pallet awaiting a trip to the middle east.