WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LA vs OC

traquer

Reaction score
I was up in LA the other day buying something off Craigslist in a pretty nice area called Eagle Rock (between Pasadena and Glendale). Houses were in the 1-2 mill range according to zillow, so it's kind of similar to where I live in North OC.

The biggest difference though is I saw at least 5 BLM and anti-police signs in the handful of residential streets I drove on. I also barely saw any American flags...

In my neighborhood in OC I haven't seen a SINGLE BLM sign thank god, and 75% of houses have an American flag, and have had them up for weeks so it's not just a 4th of July thing. There's also one or two Trump signs

If I was house-hunting, American flags and lack of BLM signs would be an easy way to tell if I'd want to even live in the neighborhood. I bet Zillow won't put this bit of info up on their blog though lol. F*ck LA and everything that has to do with LA (except the police and cute tourists who come visit I guess, nothing else good there)

traquer

Reaction score
I live in LA and as much as I would like to fly our Flag. It would make me a target. Sad world we live in.

Damn that's sad. Did you have one out before all this mess?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Flags all over my neighborhood and also on city property [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NicPaus

Reaction score
Damn that's sad. Did you have one out before all this mess?
Been the same in this neighborhood for years. I am the minority. Has not changed recently still the same Gateway. 2 blocks over i could fly one no issues.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Flag outside; guns inside

Not a damn day goes by I don’t fly that glorious flag...

CF1C91FF-BABF-4D41-A379-5698BDDD5A52.jpeg

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I live in LA and as much as I would like to fly our Flag. It would make me a target. Sad world we live in.
An American flag would make you a target? What the hell? What flag would they want you to fly? lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Eagle Rock is a lot of wealthy Armenians. Not very much pro-American sentiment there.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I would agree, not a lot of patriotism, but even fewer would be pro-BLM. At least from the ones I met :oops:

traquer

Reaction score
I would agree, not a lot of patriotism, but even fewer would be pro-BLM. At least from the ones I met :oops:
I don't actually know any Armenians but I'm friends with some Lebanese and they're patriotic and love the US. I was looking at last year's 4th July pics and saw she wore a American flag bikini to my pool party lol she's hot maybe I'll share.

I think there's a lot of entertainment industry Hollywood types that live in the area, regardless of nationaltiy they're not very patriotic. I don't know why though here's the only place they could earn a living doing what they do. Try going and making millions in Entertainment in another country lol

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I don't actually know any Armenians but I'm friends with some Lebanese and they're patriotic and love the US. I was looking at last year's 4th July pics and saw she wore a American flag bikini to my pool party lol she's hot maybe I'll share.

I think there's a lot of entertainment industry Hollywood types that live in the area, regardless of nationaltiy they're not very patriotic. I don't know why though here's the only place they could earn a living doing what they do. Try going and making millions in Entertainment in another country lol

I’m Lebanese... my whole family rocks the American flag, and votes conservative. Most Lebanese friends and family are conservatives as well. We know what it’s like to come from a beautiful country, ran by a corrupt government that destroys its peoples way of life.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I’m Lebanese... my whole family rocks the American flag, and votes conservative. Most Lebanese friends and family are conservatives as well. We know what it’s like to come from a beautiful country, ran by a corrupt government that destroys its peoples way of life.
I see this 100% from my wife's side of the family that were born in Iran. Their kids are another story.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Can the Labenese talk to the Mexicans please? Mexico as a land mass has some beautiful places, but a country ruined by drugs and corruption...and then some still fly their flag here...that has bugged me for years! If it was so great, why come here?!

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Can the Labenese talk to the Mexicans please? Mexico as a land mass has some beautiful places, but a country ruined by drugs and corruption...and then some still fly their flag here...that has bugged me for years! If it was so great, why come here?!

I feel the same as you on this... the only thing I can think is the enabling allowed by the govt.... the liberal governments pandered to these immigrants in order to get their future votes, everything in Spanish, special classes in school, social programs etc etc.

when my family came here, it was 1989..... we were one of the lucky few to even get a visa to come here due to mass civil war in Lebanon, and the only reason we were granted a visa was because of a major eye surgery I needed. I was around 6-7 years old... didn't know a word of English, and got thrown into a regular 1st grade class room (sink or swim)... needless to say, I learned English pretty quickly because I had to.... same with my parents who were in their late 20's/ early 30's at that time. My dad worked his ass off in construction, never took a govt handout, there were no special programs presented to Lebanese immigrants, so we assimilated very quickly. My dad spent so much money on immigration lawyers etc etc to get us "green card" status and then finally becoming US citizens (long expensive process), but my dad was proud, our whole family was.... He has an American flag flying in front of his house. I like my Lebanese heritage, but consider myself an American... and proud of it (well until recently). I think its dumb when I see people in Glamis running a Mexican flag..... the mexico border is only about 20 miles away.... go play there if it is so nice. Like I said earlier, I like my Lebanese heritage, but the politics are corrupt... the country is in shambles. Beautiful place and people, but nothing to be proud of so much, that I would be representing the Lebanese flag in America, over the US flag.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I have stood high up on the "Rock," and looked over the the edge, mid '60's. Semper Fi!!
"No-one can tell a fully armed Regiment of Marines where they can or cannot go.."

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Eagle Rock is a lot of wealthy Armenians. Not very much pro-American sentiment there.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
DID YOU KNOW...
2 Term Republican governor of California George Deukmejian instituted the tax exemption that goes to survivors and descendants of victims of the Turkish Genocide of Armenians?
So, in perpetuity, there is income that will be receivable by recipients who successfully receive reparations (via either new case law or settled class actions) from Turkish sources that are connected to the 1915-1923 (q.v., 'a century past') genocide.
And, yes, Glendale, Eagle Rock, and Eastlake are replete with a community of recipients.
The Duke did a solid for his people (and his own family I suppose) that the California taxpayers - for about 40 years so far - exempt descendants from California taxes for payments received.
I worked with one of these guys who was a recipient, and a militant Armenian from Glendale. He was not very 'American', I have to say. He spent alot of time not working, and it led to friction between us when management protected him. The reason they did this was never clear to me, but the company was VERY risk averse.
Every few years the lawsuits are launched to refill the pipeline of such payments (most recent found were 2004, 2006 and one pending, so maybe we are due for another...)

BUT maybe justice is afoot...
just a few days ago the Ca State Bar annouced a probe into Geragos and others who reap the bulk of such settlements. (more here)
The Iron Duke's good intentions, like most good intentions that politicians legislate, can be twisted by attorneys and so many nefarious ways.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
biggest difference though
I believe the biggest difference is entrenchment.
LA was developed and built out starting in the 1930's after the DWP began importing water.
OC was easily at least 30 years behind it, and reaped the technological and civic developments that occurred between 1930 and 1960, bridging a world war.
Most impressive to me was the way I watched Irvine go from one of the first planned communities in the 1970's into a very prosperous and advanced form of organization, even if it was somewhat restrictive - zoning wise. The OC was mostly farms then, excepting small towns (then) like Anaheim and Fullerton, where the centrally planned form was not instituted.
MANY homes in Garden Grove in the 60's for example were sold with orange trees (from prior farms) that had not been removed from the property while building.
So, LA has a legacy of early arrivers, like Armenian immigrants from the 1st world war, or the people from back east, and the entrenchment that such communities bring, and the natural biases and prejudices that become calcified in those communities.
In other words, the OC is relatively fresher and younger than LA county. Naturally newer. fresher, younger places have more appeal.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Eagle rock is pretty lib.. A lot of Antifa folks live or frequent that area.....

Close proximity to Silver Lake, Atwater Village, Echo Park area... Close enough to Downtown LA for protests

NicPaus

Reaction score
This thread is 2 years old. I am no longer living at that house. Actually headed there to move a few loads today. Property is getting ready to be developed.

Carlos90041

Reaction score
I
This thread is 2 years old. I am no longer living at that house. Actually headed there to move a few loads today. Property is getting ready to be developed.

I reignited the thread in an attempt to find some like minded people in my area.

I’ve seen some pretty cool boats around.

My friends are Raider fans and are scared of taking their boats to LHC and chill in the channel all day 🤣.

You’d be surprised how many of my neighbors are conservative. Why? Because they are tired of the crime and vagrants. Not many Armenians around us. They are in Glendale. Don’t matter thou, I like the diversity.

Anyhow, anyone still in Eagle Rock?

Wedgy

Reaction score
It all was a great place to grow up in in the 1950's, 1960's. Long live Eagle Rock!

Angeles Crest. Pasadena. Altadena, the Horse ranch neighborhood on the West side of the mesa. Park. Gear up. Then down into the Arroyo Seco, on up the canyon. Crisscrossing the creek, surrounded by Sycamore and Oak, on up past the Ranger Station and beyond. Paradise for Kids in the 1960's.

Over on the other North side of town, you had the huge old mansion property to traverse to get onto the trail down into Eaton canyon onto the Old Mt. Wilson toll road, then the steep climb up to Henniger Flats, and on up to Mt. Wilson.

These old properties were everywhere in Pasadena then. Many were being demolished to redevelop. Many were still lived in, and were awesome to explore and play in with friends. Entire third story Ballroom, polished hardwood floor.
Massive wood banisters were slid on, in addition to the Ballroom floor action. Carriage houses, orange groves.

All gone now. Progress...

Good hunting for good people!