WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Boating School

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
With everything that has transpired this past labor day weekend, my wife has expressed interest in taking a Boating class. I know about the classes that the coast guard auxiliary offers, as I have taken them. Does anyone offer boating education classes that are geared more towards Lake Boating? She is looking for something that is more in depth than pamphlets and online info and less than many weeks of coast guard classes. Thanks in advance!

bbrownster

Reaction score
The on line courses everyone lists are good. I also would recommend Heavy Weather Boating Emergencies written by Chuck Luttrell. The book was written with the help of the Assistant Chief Ranger at Lake Mead and some of the tragic stories are sobering.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Whatever course you take, I highly recommend that you take a classroom course, as opposed to home study or on-line. As demonstrated here on RDP hundreds of times, you'll get a clearer understanding of things when you can ask questions and have them (competently) answered. A computer or workbook can't answer questions or clarify points the way a live person would. The instructor can give you the background and explanation of why and how these laws, regulations and safe practices came about.