WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Buchanan (Texas) Anyone?

probablecause

Reaction score
Anyone have input (good/bad) about Lake Buchanan (Texas)?

Last edited:

shunter2005

Reaction score
If you are talking about Lake Buchanan, it's a nice lake when the water is up. Pretty large has a couple of nice waterfalls up river. However, it sucks when it's down, which is almost every summer. Just a question of how far down. Couple of summers ago, boat stalls were high and dry and some places you could walk on the bottom a couple of hundred feet before you hit the water (about 25-30 ft. down). Right now, is about 94% full or a little over 2' down. The Austin/Hill Country area got about 4-6 in. of rain the last two days, so it may have been lower or it may rise some. Lake Travis, two lakes downstream of Buchanan, is up about 2' since the last time I looked.

rrrr

Reaction score
You can see from this graph the lake has been in upper range levels almost every year since the 2010-2015 drought. There's always fluctuation late in summer. All of the lakes in Texas have been pretty much at full pool since 2015. So far this year, rain amounts in Dallas are over 100% above normal.

historical-volume@2x.png

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
As has been said it's nice when it has water. It's the first in the Highland lake chain so it's 100% dependent on rain for levels, the lower lakes the LCRA try to keep more steady as they supply drinking water. Travis is the primary lake in that area. It's a wide open lake, can get rough on a windy day.

probablecause

Reaction score
I know there are a shit-ton of lakes but was also looking at Lake Tawnakoni.

probablecause

Reaction score
I am here and loving it, still working in Law Enforcement because I like it. Plus, a little extra income. But you never know. I love a longer play summer and to be honest, low profile jet boats are kind of rare here. My son is a freshman at Boise State but who knows in 4 years. Hell, I could end up on the Coast in South Carolina or Florida.

rrrr

Reaction score
I know there are a shit-ton of lakes but was also looking at Lake Tawnakoni.

It's a helluva lot cheaper to buy real estate and live near Tawakoni. Cedar Creek Lake is just a bit East of Tawakoni, and Gun Barrel City is a nice little town.