WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Conroe Texas

River918

Reaction score
Family and I are heading out in a couple days for a week to look around the area for a possible retirement destination. Checking out Montgomery, the Woodlands, Conroe, and Cypress. Any tips on things to check out while we are there? Areas to avoid (besides Houston)? Texas is just one state we are looking at. We visited Tennessee in June and loved it, going back next month to look at more areas and head down to Lewis Smith Lake in Alabama to see the area. Northern Idaho, Missouri, and a couple other states are still possibilities on the list.

Thanks…

grumpy88

Reaction score
We loved it . We found a nice house on the lake . Property taxes and low wages for me broke the deal for us . Still bums me out . Good luck I hope you find something you like
20160926_070833.jpg

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Woodlands and Humble areas are nice for city living. not sure about acre properties. Lake Conroe is a nice place not far away (30-45 minutes). Closer to Houston is prone to flooding with bad weather.
if you have time, might check out Spring for Corkscrew BBQ. In Tomball, check out Goodson Cafe for really good chicken fried steak.

River918

Reaction score
We loved it . We found a nice house on the lake . Property taxes and low wages for me broke the deal for us . Still bums me out . Good luck I hope you find something you like View attachment 1143880

Property taxes are definitely a negative, cancels out the no state income tax. That’s why we like Tennessee, no state income taxes and around .6 on property taxes. Alabama also has low property taxes and they don’t tax government pensions.

Last edited:

bluebleeder

Reaction score
I moved to The Woodlands 2 and 1/2 years ago from Ventura County. We love it here amd would never look back. Now we are a working family of 5 (3 kids under 10) and myself and wife actually got nice raises to relocate. Yes the propert tax is high but everything else is either cheaper or the same price. Amd no state income tax. I was shocked to see my wife's 2019 Escalade was $75 to register. There are pretty big differences betweem Magniolia, Conroe and The Woodlands. The Woodlands being familiy orientated, newer money, less politically active etc. The further you get away from The woodlands it gets more "Texas" . Conroe, Montgomery and Magnolia are bulding rapidly. Mostly nice planned communities. Lake Conroe is nice and big. A few resorts, multilple different types of living from condos to mansions. East side has a nice new rerirement community with all the amenities including launch ramp and docks. The lake gets blown out some days and main body can get messy but all in all it suits its purpose. As mentioned go ibto Old town Spring to Corkscrew but go early as they sell out every day. You wont be dissapointed. Head over to The Waterway in The Woodlands. Great food and drink options and nice scenery. Head over to Carter Country or Saddle River for a Texas gun experience. 😀 i have yet to have anyone visit that hasn't loved this area enough to consider packing up and moving. DM me for more info or to grab a beer when you come visit.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I moved to The Woodlands 2 and 1/2 years ago from Ventura County. We love it here amd would never look back. Now we are a working family of 5 (3 kids under 10) and myself and wife actually got nice raises to relocate. Yes the propert tax is high but everything else is either cheaper or the same price. Amd no state income tax. I was shocked to see my wife's 2019 Escalade was $75 to register. There are pretty big differences betweem Magniolia, Conroe and The Woodlands. The Woodlands being familiy orientated, newer money, less politically active etc. The further you get away from The woodlands it gets more "Texas" . Conroe, Montgomery and Magnolia are bulding rapidly. Mostly nice planned communities. Lake Conroe is nice and big. A few resorts, multilple different types of living from condos to mansions. East side has a nice new rerirement community with all the amenities including launch ramp and docks. The lake gets blown out some days and main body can get messy but all in all it suits its purpose. As mentioned go ibto Old town Spring to Corkscrew but go early as they sell out every day. You wont be dissapointed. Head over to The Waterway in The Woodlands. Great food and drink options and nice scenery. Head over to Carter Country or Saddle River for a Texas gun experience. 😀 i have yet to have anyone visit that hasn't loved this area enough to consider packing up and moving. DM me for more info or to grab a beer when you come visit.
So what are the Taxes where you live, you hear so many different things its hard to know. Like to hear it from someone who actually pays taxes there.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
I live in a newer planned communiy with MUD tax and tax rate is 2.4%. Non MUD communities are around 2% i am still well ahead of the game considering home prices (although they have gone up recently) 1/2 or 1/3 of the cost of like houses in Ventura County. And the no state income tax is very nice. Oh and gas is expensive right now for this area and is $3.45 as of today.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I was talking with a guy on the plane a few weeks ago, he moved there 20 years ago, he was saying place has really gotten big. Heading to Houston tomorrow for 3 weeks, might come up and check out the area.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
I was talking with a guy on the plane a few weeks ago, he moved there 20 years ago, he was saying place has really gotten big. Heading to Houston tomorrow for 3 weeks, might come up and check out the area.
Just remember Houston us like any other city. Good and bad parts. The further out you get the nicer it gets. Beer on me if you make it to my area.

shunter2005

Reaction score
If you think about buying waterfront on Lake Conroe, get some chicken grease ready when you look at the taxes. Buddy has a 1400-1500 sf home on the water. Taxes are $15K/yr. Plus the home values have gone through the roof on Conroe and almost every lake around. Get away from the lakefront and they ease up. The farther, the cheaper, to a point. Plenty of boat storage around the lake, so you really don't have to live on the water. Some places valet your boat for you and some, like mine, are self launch (which I prefer). Also, as I've said before, you don't want to be on Conroe on any weekend in the summer, period!!! Sunday afternoon through Friday morning is pretty nice, though... but you have to dodge the bass boat guys.

The best part about Conroe is, it's a basic constant level lake. It is 1.5 ft below full pool right now with basically no rain here for the last 3 months. (On another note, Lake Travis is 35 ft down today). It only drops when they have to fill Lake Houston to keep water available for Houston area. People forget that it was built for that purpose. However, it happens very seldom.

All that area up the I45 corridor is building so fast, it's almost scary. Exxon is/has moved in a ton of people to the Woodlands and other companies are headed that way. If you work there, it's probably not too bad. If you drive to DT Houston, it's a long commute every day. Spring area isn't too bad either, but it's a bit closer to Houston.

I am in Northwest Houston toward Cypress. Not too far away, but far enough. Let me know if your in the area and I'll buy you a brew.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Property taxes are definitely a negative, cancels out the no state income tax. That’s why we like Tennessee, no state income taxes and around .6 on property taxes. Alabama also has low property taxes and they don’t tax government pensions.

TN does not tax guberment pensions either.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Only been thru there twice. Holly hell was there a lot of traffic. Lits of growth I noticed. Remember thats Hurricane area.

If you loved TN. Go there!! I regret choosing TX over TN. Weather is a bit cooler, People are even nicer (Texans are very stubborn especially behind the wheel), I could go on. Just my $.02

Bugginout

Reaction score
I grew up going to Willis Texas every summer 80’s and 90’s it’s right outside of Conroe. My great grandfather had the county tractor and took care of the roads. It was very small back then. I still have family in the area. Caught my first water moccasin while Crappie fishing on lake Conroe I think I was 8. I hate water moccasin’s.

draggin904

Reaction score
We live in Spring, close to the Woodlands and we really like it. Found a house on just over an acre in a fairly nice neighborhood. As previously mentioned property tax rates suck but there's plenty to do here.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
My experience with almost all lakes and rivers east of the Colorado is that they have muddy bottoms and murky water. The wife for sure won't deal with that. The boat part is an absolute must for both of us, so this would be tough. I like the Tennessee river around Knoxville a LOT, but same with water and bottom quality. I've spent a lot of time around Conroe and I think I'd get bored after a while there. I need some destinations on the water, and Conroe may not be big enough.

farmo83

Reaction score
I've lived in that area all my life minus college. Anything between 10 north, 45 west and outside of the beltway are good in my opinion. All the areas you mentioned have exploded in hone value which is still cheaper then Cali I'm sure. We paid 220 for our house in 2017 and I lost a fight for it to be appraised at 350 this year. As long as you get outside of harris county the taxes are better.

As far as lakes go it's what you want. Conroe is much busier and you can own lake front property. Somerville is an hour away and property is maybe 1/20 of the price.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Another thought…..they keep finding aligators in all the lakes around here. I wont touch the water…..I’m skeeeered

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My experience with almost all lakes and rivers east of the Colorado is that they have muddy bottoms and murky water. The wife for sure won't deal with that. The boat part is an absolute must for both of us, so this would be tough. I like the Tennessee river around Knoxville a LOT, but same with water and bottom quality. I've spent a lot of time around Conroe and I think I'd get bored after a while there. I need some destinations on the water, and Conroe may not be big enough.

Yes most are mud bottom, but if you find a deep enough one it won't matter.

One lake I like a lot is Cumberland in Kentucky. Nice , clear and very deep. Tough to have a dock there though without a thousand stairs to go up and down. We had toyed with the idea of just putting the boat in a marina and living nearby.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
One lake I like a lot is Cumberland in Kentucky.
I'm also curious about Kentucky Lake and the Land Between the Lakes etc. Dale Hollow looks cool as well. Any feedback on those?

shock22

Reaction score
Bought our house one year ago on lake Conroe it is what you want to make of it. We live in Walden nice development with marina and launch ramps. I am old as dirt so property taxes are not bad. I have an homestead exemption and an senior exemption taxes are locked for life not bad.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I'm also curious about Kentucky Lake and the Land Between the Lakes etc. Dale Hollow looks cool as well. Any feedback on those?

We like Kentucky lake a lot. We have a place on it. As said it is mud bottom like most in the mid to eastern part of the country. Lake is huge. I think 165,000 acres or something like that. You can also go through the locks and go to the Ohio River and then the Mississippi River if you want. You can go south and explore the Tennessee River.

The Land between the lakes is a national park. It has camping and hiking. It has some Elk and Bison that you can drive through and see. We haven't really explored it too much.

On the other side or land between the lakes is Lake Barkley. We found the lake to be more "dirtier". It is mud bottom as well, but you can't even see your feet when floating in the water. We didn't check it out very much after we saw that.

We didn't go to Dale Hollow as they do not allow docks from your house on it. I have a friend that boats there and he says it is very clean.

When we were looking for a lake house we went to a lot of lakes in our RV over 2 summers. We hit some lakes more north like Higgins Lake in Mi. Lake George in NY, although would never consider it as it is in NY. We like Higgins a lot, but it is too far north and that makes the summers shorter. It is also in a blue state and after escaping CA we said no more blue states for us.

We hit John Kerr in NC, High Point NC, but really wasn't big enough for us, Lake James, NC, Topsail Island NC "ocean boating", Lake Erie from Ohio, Lake Marion in SC, Lake Oconee, GA , Lake Sinclair, GA, Lake Lanier GA, Lake Douglas, TN, Lake Norris, TN, Lake Cumberland, KY, Percy Priest, TN and then Barkley and Kentucky as stated earlier.

I really suggest once you think you found the lake you like to spend a month there. Either RV or ABNB. Although we really like Kentucky Lake and west TN there are some things we wish were different. We are so busy in FL in the winter that we "thought" we wanted a more rural area for the summer. Well we went too rural and there isn't a whole lot to do where we are. We have talked about selling and finding a place a little closer to a city.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
We like Kentucky lake a lot. We have a place on it.
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response. I love the ability to lock through on most of the lakes and rivers there. One of the downsides of our western lakes is we have to trailer across all dams.

sirbob

Reaction score
Not considering Lake Travis and the Hill Country?

That’s a nice area - When we lived in The Hills of Lakeway our prop tax was 3.3% of home value. NOT purchase price like we have in CA.

I looked at moving back there - then I did the math….

1.5 million house, pay cash and live happily ever after…

NOT !!!! Real estate tax alone is $50k per year. That’s more than my mortgage/ tax and ins now on our house in a beach town that is worth millions!

And will go up again and again.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Bought our house one year ago on lake Conroe it is what you want to make of it. We live in Walden nice development with marina and launch ramps. I am old as dirt so property taxes are not bad. I have an homestead exemption and an senior exemption taxes are locked for life not bad.
I VRBO'd a house in Walden back in 2016 for about 4 months. It was nice down there, but's a haul all the way down that road. Still have all the inbred deer running around?

Mike K

Reaction score
We “had” the same idea.
The property taxes are worse than CA.

boatnam2

Reaction score
What's a good spot to have some lunch and a few beers on lake?

Singleton

Reaction score
Not considering Lake Travis and the Hill Country?
Those are great areas. Wife and I looked into them, then I did the math. The savings from NO state income tax was quickly reduced when you factored in property taxes. Plus we quickly got into the 7 figure house if we factored in Lake Travis lake access or enough property to build/have a toy barn.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Same for us when we were looking in Hudson Bend/Lake Travis…it just didn’t add up.

clarence

Reaction score
Yeah, waterfront might not be worth it over a marina slip.

shock22

Reaction score
I VRBO'd a house in Walden back in 2016 for about 4 months. It was nice down there, but's a haul all the way down that road. Still have all the inbred deer running around?
Yes deer are still nuts my wife said 14 in backyard this morning

Wedgy

Reaction score
Feel better. I got it too, and everything's bigger in Texas. West Texas isn't for everyone, but soo glad my family's from the Lubbock area.

My decent lake commute now, is 90 miles, to Alan Henry. For a SoCal ExPat, 220 miles less than the River, Mojave. Once you've been on the River, and it's Great Lakes, you are spoiled. I could live on Mojave at Telephone Cove Nv. And did for as long as I could. Boat every day.

Compared to all the San Diego County lakes, I live in A Dirt Desert now. But it sure is less expensive. I was spoiled then. You really have to work for it out here. It ain't pretty but It is worth it. You can live for less here, you just have to live closer to the Earth. All depends on location, home, price. Senior, Homestead exemptions do help.

My 3/2/1, 1364 Sq feet just as nice on a nicer street with no traffic is less than half this current assessment. Valued at $137000. I scored. $78K, 2015.
Mouse on over to the Country Club area, or acre estates out of town. Levelland, Hockley County.

Why there are sooo many Mobile Homes in Texas. Taxes...