WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Havasu home networking help needed

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We moved and we are having a multitude of issues with the home network. I run a business from the home and cant deal with it anymore. Suddenlink third world tech support is pointless. We have internet into the house I just need help with my network within the home. I called a place called WizKid and he wont leave his bedroom apparently because of some stupid virus going around.

Anyone have any suggestions?

sintax

Reaction score
whats the issue?

Prob the best place to start...

Suddenlinks line of demarcation is the coax as it enters your house, cant expect them to help you on the internal network stuff.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
2.4 and 5g seem to be conflicting each other and I cant turn off the 5g, i cant get the smart tv's to connect, nor smart switches, etc.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have both, Suddenlinks works, but it wont act as a bridge to connect with another one I bought to try and just have 2.4.
If I was you I would dump the Suddenlink and pick up a Netgear Nighthawk Modem / Router combo. I can come over and hook it up for you this week. It is super easy. Your other router that you are using is probably what is causing the issue. Try disconnecting that one and using only Suddenlink.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We moved and we are having a multitude of issues with the home network. I run a business from the home and cant deal with it anymore. Suddenlink third world tech support is pointless. We have internet into the house I just need help with my network within the home. I called a place called WizKid and he wont leave his bedroom apparently because of some stupid virus going around.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Walt, get ahold of Kevin. He's pretty good at the the IT stuff. He probably doesn't live all that far from you...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
LOL'ing at the WizKid comment. Wonder if he's peed himself out of fear from the virus.🤔

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt, get ahold of Kevin. He's pretty good at the the IT stuff. He probably doesn't live all that far from you...
If I was you I would dump the Suddenlink and pick up a Netgear Nighthawk Modem / Router combo. I can come over and hook it up for you this week. It is super easy. Your other router that you are using is probably what is causing the issue. Try disconnecting that one and using only Suddenlink.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Im only using Suddenlink and nothing will connect to it, other than my office desk top fortunately.

sintax

Reaction score
are you running a suddenlink provisioned router, or did you bring your own?

2.4 and 5 run on TOTALLY different bands, so its impossible for them to interfere with each other. You can have a situation where your router is attempting to use band steering. This is where it only advertises 1 ssid and then relies on the info from the device to determine which band it should connect to. If you're getting funky results, this is likely the culprit. This can almost always be disabled in the settings. If you want you can manage the band yourself, connect to the 2.4 for devices that need less speed but better range, and 5 for the devices that require more speed, but less range.

another thing to test out (assuming its your own router) is changing the channel of the the 2.4 and 5 bands. I had problems with my ecobee thermostat not being able to communicate with my router on certain channels. Changing those fixed my issues. You can also run a site survey using certain software to get an idea of what those 2 radio spectrums look like in your area. Sometimes you'll find 2.4 is nuts, its one of those commonly used bands.

I wont be in town for a couple weeks, but if you're still struggling when i'm in town I can swing by as well.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

2.4 and 5 run on TOTALLY different bands, so its impossible for them to interfere with each other. You can have a situation where your router is attempting to use band steering. This is where it only advertises 1 ssid and then relies on the info from the device to determine which band it should connect to. If you're getting funky results, this is likely the culprit. This can almost always be disabled in the settings. If you want you can manage the band yourself, connect to the 2.4 for devices that need less speed but better range, and 5 for the devices that require more speed, but less range.

I wont be in town for a couple weeks, but if you're still struggling when i'm in town I can swing by as well.

Suddenlink told me to bring the router from the last house which we did, so we are on line but running into the exact issues, I was able to log into the router, and there is a section where I can turn off the 5, which I think will solve the drama, but it doesnt work, its locked. Now I tried getting back in by typing http://192.168.0.1/ and it doesnt come up with anything now.

sintax

Reaction score
Suddenlink told me to bring the router from the last house which we did, so we are on line but running into the exact issues, I was able to log into the router, and there is a section where I can turn off the 5, which I think will solve the drama, but it doesnt work, its locked. Now I tried getting back in by typing http://192.168.0.1/ and it doesnt come up with anything now.

you might have turned all the wifi off =\

if you did that you can take a network cable and connect directly to the router, relogin and reenable it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
you might have turned all the wifi off =\

if you did that you can take a network cable and connect directly to the router, relogin and reenable it.

The wifi is still working, on it now, my office desktop is connected via 2.4

I was able to get in, here is the page for the 5g, if could just turn that off or suppress it I think I would be fine, but when you click on the on blue button to off nothing happens, it wont let me make any changes.
View attachment 898585

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

another thing to test out (assuming its your own router) is changing the channel of the the 2.4 and 5 bands. I had problems with my ecobee thermostat not being able to communicate with my router on certain channels. Changing those fixed my issues. You can also run a site survey using certain software to get an idea of what those 2 radio spectrums look like in your area. Sometimes you'll find 2.4 is nuts, its one of those commonly used bands.

And I will likely be struggling in two weeks, dinner is on me if you want to come by my house for a bit.

sintax

Reaction score
The wifi is still working, on it now, my office desktop is connected via 2.4

I was able to get in, here is the page for the 5g, if could just turn that off or suppress it I think I would be fine, but when you click on the on blue button to off nothing happens, it wont let me make any changes.

thats strange. sometimes on the routers you can sometimes see the settings, but you need to log in using an admin password to be able to change anything. what is the make and model of the router?

i'd expect just to be able to bump that switch you see and it should change the setting after a save.

also prob delete that screen shot, its got your password on it =)

sintax

Reaction score
And I will likely be struggling in two weeks, dinner is on me if you want to come by my house for a bit.

ok, if things go well with my boat i'll be out there mid next week, or maybe the following depending on if the shop gets it done like the keep promising.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
thats strange. sometimes on the routers you can sometimes see the settings, but you need to log in using an admin password to be able to change anything. what is the make and model of the router?

i'd expect just to be able to bump that switch you see and it should change the setting after a save.

also prob delete that screen shot, its got your password on it =)
Hitron, CGNM-2250

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

I have Not contacted this "KID" before checking with you. He is the 100% real Deal and in the couple of years knowing him, he has yet to be stumped on any issue that I have seen.

He is kind of Rare * Honest, Dependable & Reasonable. Crazy HUH?

I'll wait to see if you want to speak to him?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
sounds to me like you have a bad modem....2.4 will not interfere with 5. They run independent of one another. Suddenlink is the most garbage company ive ever been around. No surprise they are of no help. I would order a nighthawk modem that was previously mentioned in the thread have suddenlink send signal to the modem and start over. The nighthawk is amazing. It will pay for itself in less than 2 years from rental fees

Sandlord

Reaction score
I've had my security cams mess with my wifi before.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I had a similar problem initially with my suddenlink modem/router. I finally gave up and use the modem for a modem and ignore the wireless router part and use a nighthawk as my wireless router. I was able to turn off the 5g on the suddenlink modem and leave on the 2.4 although I don’t use it. I use the 2.4 from the nighthawk router that is hard wired from the modem from suddenlink.
It was a pita but I was able to turn off the 5g output from the sudden link modem router.

BajaMike

Reaction score
There is a free app you can download to test your connection to the internet. It’s called “Speedtest”. Load it, turn off your “cellular data”, and run the test. It will show the speed you are getting over the WiFi.