WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Havasu Marina Slip

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So we rented a slip twice now.. I feel like I run down and spend more time cleaning the boat and trying to maintain it than I actually use it... versus just pulling it out and having it clean for next time.

I am renting a slip for the month of July to try it one more time. Mainly because I don’t want to launch on Fourth of July weekend..

That all said when I pulled my boat out of the water I just about threw up. I know Detail Specialties will make it look new again but OMG. 😳😳

The upsides of the slip.. when we did use the boat it’s convenient to the next level. The guy in a permanent slip next to us is just about the nicest guy you’d ever meet.. I spent a lot of time BS’ing with him in the marina and really enjoyed the sense of community being down there with some of the guys.

The staff of the marina is super friendly once you get to know them and I enjoy shooting the breeze with security and making my stop at the store as we are pulling out and chatting with the ladies. To the point where I actually go in there and buy stuff I’m not sure I even need just to stop in and say hello. Lol.

6D01411B-3E72-4214-B9EC-084FFCAEC040.jpeg
FFBAF776-0B87-49A6-8DE4-13DC995845C7.jpeg
C3684094-937A-4280-9BAE-EE7C4564CE57.jpeg
4E5719BF-B731-4195-A984-7A0DD9ACC4BA.jpeg
F8E71484-AE8E-47A1-B108-597DC9B200CD.jpeg

Socalx09

Reaction score
Wow. How many days did it stay in a slip? Our boat usually just has a water line after 2/3 days and is easy to get off.

Last season -all we used was the slips at the marina due to Covid crowds at the launch ramp. It was completely worth the price. My dad is on a waiting list to get a slip since early 2020.

Icky

Reaction score
If your renting it for the month, you don't need to actually leave it there correct? Maybe drop it in on Friday and pull it out Monday

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Do you raise the motor out of the water while it is in the slip? I always thought raising them out of the water would be a bonus of OB while slipping, but maybe there is a reason to not do it? There is a definite trade off with the maintenance that 24/7 floating in a slip has. We used our boat alot more for short trips ie. one night when it was slipped. Now that I am trailering again its longer trips (3 days) and we use it less over all. For a pontoon I would think that slipping makes the easy of use over ride the fact that someone else has to buff my toons once or twice a year. If the drives are stored out of the water I would bust a brush on a slick all the time while I am sipping beers on the dock or I would raise the motor and buff out the drives while I am "checking the prop" on the beach!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
WOW..... I'd just pull it out at night or use the slip for a few days at a time when you know you will be on it for several days in a row. Whats the cost to clean that up you think? I wish Avalon painted their toons.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
pressure wash and then followed up with pump sprayer and diluted solution of muratic acid with lots of rinse water!.... about 6 -10 beers and its like new.

riverroyal

Reaction score
wow. Islander marina for a week looks like new when we pull out

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do you raise the motor out of the water while it is in the slip? I always thought raising them out of the water would be a bonus of OB while slipping, but maybe there is a reason to not do it? There is a definite trade off with the maintenance that 24/7 floating in a slip has. We used our boat alot more for short trips ie. one night when it was slipped. Now that I am trailering again its longer trips (3 days) and we use it less over all. For a pontoon I would think that slipping makes the easy of use over ride the fact that someone else has to buff my toons once or twice a year. If the drives are stored out of the water I would bust a brush on a slick all the time while I am sipping beers on the dock or I would raise the motor and buff out the drives while I am "checking the prop" on the beach!

I shoulda wiped down at the beaches l.. I just didn’t.. the water is still a bit chilly for my lizard ass

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Those Zincs ! 😳 . . . they're definitely doing their job.I wonder if it's a 'Hot Dock' ?

I don’t think it is truly hot because I put my feet in the water a few times and didn’t feel anything.. that said I’m sure there’s some electricity in the water lol.. zincs are cheap.

azsunfun

Reaction score
only keep mine in 3-4 at a time, got hme tue last week still cleaning prop

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Ahhhh.....marina life....zincs look normal...👍

Nordie

Reaction score
I don't want to be that guy, but your boat has been sitting in the water in a slip. What do you expect?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Going down to pick up slip cards now .
Use the marina every trip. Money well spent. Dockwa is bitchen to book

TCHB

Reaction score
All the years I have been boating I would never leave it in the water. I have launched 8 days in a row once and no big deal to take it and out.

instagator

Reaction score
Spooled up pontoon in the channel sits with motors out of the water

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Isn't one of the reasons to buy a toon is so that you don't have to worry about keeping it in a slip, beaching, etc... Looks like a job for detail specialties...

PlanB

Reaction score
A lift is the only way to go. We boat much more having a slip than we would if we had to launch, but protecting the boat by lifting it out of the water is the only way to keep it nice.

MissHavasuCig

Reaction score
If you’re gonna get the slip again in July, maybe have the bottom cleaner hit it mid-month?? Before our lift, getting the bottom cleaned regularly was very helpful...

samsah33

Reaction score
Going down to pick up slip cards now .
Use the marina every trip. Money well spent. Dockwa is bitchen to book
2 days of launching @ marina = $40, or 1 day launching plus overnite slip = $50.

Incremental cost of slip is $10, and you get to walk away on night 1 and walk back on 2nd day. I stay sober on the h2o during the day, so I get to have a few beers at end of day and wife (who can't launch/retrieve) can handle driving me and trailer home at nite. Win win win.

Shouldn't be giving out this secret - actually, the marina and dockwa sucks, hope nobody uses them...!!! 😂 😂 😂

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Maybe that Shark skin stuff and ceramic coat the drives will help when it comes to cleaning that crap off?

PlanB

Reaction score
Retired fireman will clean the boat at the marina 125.00

He’s a good dude. Charges by the foot and it’s cheaper if you have him do it every month. Still not as good as a lift and won’t protect against electrolysis, but it’s a must if kept in the water.

I think our 25’ was about $125.00 a month.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Dave, I think there is a electroysis problem. You know my 32 year old Gregor pontoon. I leave it in the water from Easter to Thanks Giving usually. ( I do take it out of the water on holiday weekends for service ) I just put on my ski jacket, wipe it off every couple weeks and run it. I think there is a problem in the marina, my zincs never look like yours. ( mine are never white and fuzzy even after a few months )

We used to keep Paul Tracy's boats at my dock in the late 90's because of too much loose current in the Keys by his house ( Paul Outdrive 1's channel. ) I think the marina has some loose power, or your boat has a electrical problem. I don't think it should be that ugly as much as you use it.

P.S. I did not read most of the above posts. By the way it is a bitchen pontoon.

PlanB

Reaction score
Dave, I think there is a electroysis problem. You know my 32 year old Gregor pontoon. I leave it in the water from Easter to Thanks Giving usually. ( I do take it out of the water on holiday weekends for service ) I just put on my ski jacket, wipe it off every couple weeks and run it. I think there is a problem in the marina, my zincs never look like yours. ( mine are never white and fuzzy even after a few months )

We used to keep Paul Tracy's boats at my dock in the late 90's because of too much loose current in the Keys by his house ( Paul Outdrive 1's channel. ) I think the marina has some loose power, or your boat has a electrical problem. I don't think it should be that ugly as much as you use it.

P.S. I did not read most of the above posts. By the way it is a bitchen pontoon.

The main reason we got our lift was electrolysis. There is definitely a problem in the Havasu Marina on some of the docks. When we moved to a dock with larger boats plugged in it became an issue. I saw Dave’s boat out near the end dock where there are a lot of boats plugged in so I would bet that is why his anodes look so bad.

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
I did a month once….and only once. Never again. I even pulled it out mid month and washed it, still needed a detail when i pulled it out. The water/heat is not friendly. I still rent for the big holidays to avoid the ramp. But 7 days at most. It is well worth it, especially on the 4th to watch fireworks and putt back in while everyone else fights at the ramp

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
to rent a slip a few years ago, you had to be in person the morning of to get an available slip. Now they do it online 90 days prior to the date you want. I keep telling the marina they need to let locals (those with AZ LICENSE) to come in 91 days in advance so they dont have to fight the online crowd to get a slip. For the 4th this year, it sold out in 2hrs on that first day in April

EarpRider

Reaction score
I don't know about pontoons, but if my skiboat sits in the nasty water at our river house for more than a week (Rivershore Estates) I use this product, works like a champ.
Screenshot_20210602-190738_Facebook.jpg

jadenchick

Reaction score
What row are you on? We are L. We’ve been renting the same slip for 3 years now from May-October. We are on a waiting list to get one yearly because it costs less but none have opened up yet in the correct size.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Even if I were expecting it to look like that it would still suck to see it. Lol.

I had one for a week and got the water line and even that sucked lol

cxr

Reaction score
@RiverDave

how much are the slips for fourth of July weekend?
do you have to reserve in person like katherines landing ? maybe you could also pick me up a slip for Fri, Sat and Sun and i can venmo you the money.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
@RiverDave

how much are the slips for fourth of July weekend?
do you have to reserve in person like katherines landing ? maybe you could also pick me up a slip for Fri, Sat and Sun and i can venmo you the money.
You reserve the slips online. Others have mentioned the website In this thread.

Edit: Dockwa

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
holy crap, what dock is that? did they put you in the back row?

I still have my slip after selling the boat, I haven't wanted to give it up and not have it when new boat comes. You can launch and retrieve 24/7. My slip is out near end of dock only a few rows in. I typically only put the boat in the slip when I was going to use it. Probably 3-6 days at a time. An Avalon with twins next to me is on a lift, its pretty badass! In between changing slips a couple years ago, they put me way back on "R" dock, the water was nasty (too stagnate). Sometimes to save a hundred bucks I would even trailer the boat just to go get gas. I always wiped the motor and drive at the end of use and raised it out of the water. And always took a little bit of time to wipe the boat down when on a nice sandy beach someplace.