WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Mead article in todays Kingman paper

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
KINGMAN – With the current drought situation in the southwest, including Mohave County, it looks like the water level at Lake Mead will continue to drop. It is forecast that the level will drop at least another 5 feet before the start of the new year.
Lake Mead is and has always been a source of water for the southwest. The water in the lake provides for 40 million people in seven states and Mexico.
Las Vegas receives most of its water directly from Lake Mead.
Even though this spring there was a slightly above average snowpack in the Rocky Mountains, and the level of water in Lake Mead was higher than in past years, the amount of water being withdrawn from the nation’s largest man-made reservoir has caused the water level to drop substantially this summer.
And with the forecast for the lake level to drop at least 5 more vertical feet by Jan. 1, that doesn’t sound good for Mohave County and the people who use the lake for many things, including recreation.
Arizona gets a lot of water from the Colorado River via the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal that starts in Lake Havasu and runs 336 miles to a point 14 miles south of Tucson.
Arizona currently pays the Colorado River Indian Tribes (CRIT) and the Gila Indian Community for part of their Colorado River allocations in order to keep water flowing into the state for domestic and agriculture use.
So why are the Colorado River lakes receiving less water in a year of above average snowpack?
Some experts say it’s caused by the drying out of the southwest due to higher temperatures. That means the ground soaks up more water in hot, dry years the southwest is experiencing.
In one report by the Colorado River Research Group, they said that the area had been in a drought from 2000 to 2018.
A few years back I was involved in a documentary by National Geographic entitled,” Killing the Colorado.” If you haven’t seen it, you should. It had some frightening information.
One statement I remember vividly was when one of the men being interviewed put his hand into the river and said: “This (water) is more valuable than oil!”

Article by Don Martin.........Did a copy and paste because you need a password; got cut off.

Pelon

Reaction score
That's ok for me. I like the beaches by Temple Bar at a lower level!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
That's ok for me. I like the beaches by Temple Bar at a lower level!

Keeps going like this instead of Lake Mead it will be Beach Mead.:) I'll never forget in 1983 when I moved here the spillways at Hoover Dam were flowing like a mother.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Killing of the colorado was a good show .

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Killing the Colorado was an eye opener for sure ....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'm headed to home depot today, gonna buy 3 shower heads that deliver 10 gas per minute, one can never have enough shower heads in one shower :D

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
as far a lake mead water level.....no commit :D

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
It's at 1083 lake elevation.

Level II or level III drought restrictions kick in at 1075. I hope this doesn't happen.

Drought restrictions will affect (effect?) Lake Powell too.

Dan'l

grumpy88

Reaction score
I guess it was a good time to build a pool ! I plan on using a few gallons out of the lake for my personal recreation !

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Ok, so the article says that the ground soaks up more water when it’s hot......... hmmmmm. That’s the first time I’ve heard that. Sounds like complete green wheelie bullshit.