WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

**LAKE MEAD MAN MADE DOOM AND GLOOM ????**

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I always take the opportunity to learn something new, but when someone keeps say'n a grasshopper can pull a plow,... I say prove it... so,... in the interest of learning some thing new, even if it will make my belief wrong for my whole life.... I say to you this,... you know,... since you seem to know....... what does happen to the water I use???? besides pissing in the corner of my back yard??????
I dont know where your house is or the layout but Im going to assume you have septic. Thats the only way effluent gets absorbed and purified back into the ground water

azsunfun

Reaction score
as of now,.... NV nevada doesn't use any mead water... what they take out, they put more back.... but....with the low straw... they can pretty much pull water out of mead till it's just a river.. again.... I appreciate your post, thank you for it
oh but they do, the lakes get that water from where?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
**** NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY*****

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
You actually have to go to an accredited college and pass to even be considered to test to be state certified but nice try lol
BUT IS IS HARDER TO GET A JOB DRIVING A SCHOOL BUS, RIGHT???

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Wonder what FERC'S status would be if the powerhouse was to go offline long term?
Don't think the alternate energy sources could support that loss even in a few years.🤔

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Waffles, I am curious, what does a Water Treatment and Distribution Operator do? Do you run a water treatment operation for some municipality? Again, just curious and looking to learn something. So far, it sure looks like you know what you are talking about. Just saying
Its hard to answer this question because the water industry in itself is pretty fucking broad. A Wastewater Treatment Operator, Collections Systems Operator, and Water Systems Operator will all have different scopes of work.

MSum661

Reaction score
Wonder what FERC'S status would be if the powerhouse was to go offline long term?
Don't think the alternate energy sources could support that loss even in a few years.🤔

The way it currently looks, anything is possible at this point.
Well see how all this looks in the next 3-6 months.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Am i missing something here? lol

1622740799382.png

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Its hard to answer this question because the water industry in itself is pretty fucking broad. A Wastewater Treatment Operator, Collections Systems Operator, and Water Systems Operator will all have different scopes of work.
at some level, there is 'no experience necessary' for almost any profession or occupation. "trainee'" or "intern" will eventually work toward certification and better pay and less assignments to personally have to go out and dip the pool.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

Qualification Guidelines

EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent with additional college-level coursework in chemistry, biology and wastewater and/or water treatment technology, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience in a public agency is preferred.

LICENSES; CERTIFICATES; SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California Class C driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the Agency's vehicle insurance program.

California State Water Resources Control Board Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Grade I Certification is required at hire or promotion. Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Grade II certification is required to move to the Grade II level.

California State Water Resources Control Board Water Treatment and/or Distribution Operator certifications are desirable.

Annual certification for CPR, First Aid, HAZWOPER, forklift, and confined-space entry. Annual completion of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) fit test per OSHA requirements is required within six months of appointment and during the course of employment. The employee may be required to wear other types of respirators, dust, and particulate or cartridge masks dependent upon the work environment.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
at some level, there is 'no experience necessary' for almost any profession or occupation. "trainee'" or "intern" will eventually work toward certification and better pay and less assignments to personally have to go out and dip the pool.
That might be true for a small rural .6 MGD plant in Kansas but not here. T1/D1 is pointless and wont get you in any metropolitan district

1622741185889.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nevada doesn't control the level of mead, period, the Federal Gov does via the Bureau of Reclamation.

Vegas had to put a straw in lower because the existing straw was getting very close to the surface, surface water is also warmer so it has more algae, bacteria etc. They put the straw in planning for the fact that the lake could go down further.

Population of the SW has exploded in the last 20 years, more people = more water, mainly because of crops, not necessarily because of homes, water that enters the sewer system is almost fully reclaimed in the Vegas Valley and put back into the system clean. I remember reading some report that said on net Vegas consumes around 1% of the total flow through Mead on an annual basis. If you look at the percentages of water that leave the system on net Agriculture is by far the biggest consumer, and the SW and country as a whole consumes far more agriculture today than it did 20 years ago. All those crops need water, including the ones in mexico that come back across the border to your grocery store.

Powell and Mead were not put in place to remain "full", they act as the primary buffers and storage mechanisms for the entire system. A system that has been able to weather droughts through decades, and they have accomplished that goal so far.

From 2000 to 2020 the Southwest States of CA, NV, AZ, and UT have added 11 million persons to their populations.

From 2000 to 2020 the US as a whole has added 50 million persons.

This. ^^^

I'm guessing these little metal statues will be for sale at some point in this thread

View attachment 1009418 View attachment 1009419

And of course, this! ^^^

😁

Nordie

Reaction score
Believe it or not, but the Vegas Valley sits on a huge aquifer of basically untapped water. The only way you're drilling a well now is if you're in a rural area. I had to get a part for my grandparents well after they had passed and the guy told me that the water table has risen significantly, because they're not allowing new wells, due to city water being available now.

Most of the hotels on the strip are constantly pumping water out of the foundations, and I believe that water does end up at the water treatment plant, where it then goes into vegas wash, that ultimately dumps into Mead

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
BUT IS IS HARDER TO GET A JOB DRIVING A SCHOOL BUS, RIGHT???
What schooling does a bus driver need? Are you talking about needing a commercial drivers license? Because even the entry level positions need that 🤷‍♂️

Maintenance Worker Collections I:

1. High school diploma or equivalent certificate.
  2. Must possess a valid California Class B driver's license with tank and air brake endorsements or obtain within 18 months of job placement, and have a physical every two years as required by the state; must maintain a safe driving record.
  3. Possession of California State Water Resources Control Board Water Distribution Grade D1 Certificate and California Water Environmental Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Grade 1 Certificate, or ability to obtain within 18 months.
  4. Ability to take direction and follow through on one's own to complete assigned duties.
Maintenance Worker Collections II:
  1. Meet the minimum qualifications of a Maintenance Worker Collections I.
  2. Must possess a valid California Class B driver's license with tank and air brake endorsements and have a physical every two years as required by the state; must maintain a safe driving record.
  3. Possession of California State Water Resources Control Board Water Distribution Grade D1 Certificate and California Water Environmental Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Grade 1 Certificate.
  4. Must be able to initiate work activities on one's own with minimal direction.
  5. Must have mechanical aptitude practiced in the water and/or wastewater industry and have the ability to accurately read and interpret construction drawings and the District's sectional maps.
  6. Certified to wear respiratory equipment.
  7. NASSCO Pipeline Assessment Certification Program (PACP) Certified Camera Operator, or ability to obtain within one year of job placement.
  8. Railroad Safety Certification.

cxr

Reaction score
Nevada doesn't control the level of mead, period, the Federal Gov does via the Bureau of Reclamation.

Vegas had to put a straw in lower because the existing straw was getting very close to the surface, surface water is also warmer so it has more algae, bacteria etc. They put the straw in planning for the fact that the lake could go down further.

Population of the SW has exploded in the last 20 years, more people = more water, mainly because of crops, not necessarily because of homes, water that enters the sewer system is almost fully reclaimed in the Vegas Valley and put back into the system clean. I remember reading some report that said on net Vegas consumes around 1% of the total flow through Mead on an annual basis. If you look at the percentages of water that leave the system on net Agriculture is by far the biggest consumer, and the SW and country as a whole consumes far more agriculture today than it did 20 years ago. All those crops need water, including the ones in mexico that come back across the border to your grocery store.

Powell and Mead were not put in place to remain "full", they act as the primary buffers and storage mechanisms for the entire system. A system that has been able to weather droughts through decades, and they have accomplished that goal so far.

From 2000 to 2020 the Southwest States of CA, NV, AZ, and UT have added 11 million persons to their populations.

What happens to the waste i have always wondered? is there a huge dumping gorund in the desert?

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
All I know is my kick ass water pressure has been non existent lately. Probably from all the new houses going up????

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

^^ thank you

The main vegetables grown in Imperial County are iceberg lettuce, leaf lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cantaloupes, honeydews, dry bulb onions, processor onions, carrots, sweet corn, spinach, spring mix and watermelons.

The 80-mile long All-American Canal delivers water to the southeast corner of the Imperial Valley. Roughly 2.8-3.0 million acre-feet of water are used per year to grow the crops and livestock to help feed the nation.

"A society is only three meals away from anarchy."

69hondo

Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL keep me posted on Boulder ramp. We are planning a trip end of the month and was going to use that launch ramp.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Believe it or not, but the Vegas Valley sits on a huge aquifer of basically untapped water. The only way you're drilling a well now is if you're in a rural area. I had to get a part for my grandparents well after they had passed and the guy told me that the water table has risen significantly, because they're not allowing new wells, due to city water being available now.

Most of the hotels on the strip are constantly pumping water out of the foundations, and I believe that water does end up at the water treatment plant, where it then goes into vegas wash, that ultimately dumps into Mead

I grew up in Vegas. You would be surprised at all the natural springs in the valley. We used to fish a bunch of them for small bass. Super cool as a kid...... knowing all the secret spots.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What happens to the waste i have always wondered? is there a huge dumping gorund in the desert?

From what i understand after filtration the remaining solid wastes are moved out into evaporating 'ponds' where the small amounts of remaining water are removed, then the solids are removed with loaders and transported, probably to landfills? not sure where it ends up but that is basically what they do. I think they just rotate ponds over time. The treated water is sent back into Vegas Wash which flows into Mead.

@Howardflat is our resident municipal water and sewer expert, he could probably break it down in more detail.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
THank you 27ft. I heard I cant launch there?
Before they shut it down it was a 24’ limit. Not sure once it reopens. Boulder will be closing July 1st if not sooner. I was told they were going to dredge the cut so it will be usable again, but I haven’t seen that in writing anywhere. You may have to go to Calville.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I've said it before but look at population growth in line with reservoir capacity. California population has doubled since they built the last major reservoirs in the state. Az has seen triple population growth and to their credit built the new waddle dam for pleasant. Nevada's population has doubled. Utah's population has doubled. Colorado's population has doubled. More spigots equals more water use. Even with all that said the farms still pull more water than any one else.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nevada and Arizona pay California to build desal plants in exchange for a larger percentage of the Colorado.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
From what i understand after filtration the remaining solid wastes are moved out into evaporating 'ponds' where the small amounts of remaining water are removed, then the solids are removed with loaders and transported, probably to landfills? not sure where it ends up but that is basically what they do. I think they just rotate ponds over time. The treated water is sent back into Vegas Wash which flows into Mead.

@Howardflat is our resident municipal water and sewer expert, he could probably break it down in more detail.
Thats one way to dewater sludge. But it all depends on the plant. Most, from what i have seen, have belt presses that turn the sludge into what we call cake and the water that gets pulled goes back to secondary treatment. The said cake can then be disposed of at a landfill, applied to agricultural cropland as fertilizer, or bagged with other materials and marketed as “biosolid compost” for use in agriculture and landscaping.

See:

Last edited:

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
There is plenty of water . Until the govt stops giving out building permits there is obviously plenty of water to keep expanding the west . I turned on the tap this morning and it still came out just like it will tomorrow !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Every time I hear my city bitching to the residents about water conservation I laugh and love to ask them how many planned community developments are in the process of being built and have been approved!!! They only care about increasing city tax revenue. If they really cared about a water shortage they'd stop approving residential building on every little piece of dirt they can find!

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
Before they shut it down it was a 24’ limit. Not sure once it reopens. Boulder will be closing July 1st if not sooner. I was told they were going to dredge the cut so it will be usable again, but I haven’t seen that in writing anywhere. You may have to go to Calville.

Thanks again. THink I will go to Temple bar before Callville.

rrrr

Reaction score

Yep.

The 1922 Colorado River Compact and its subsequent revisions dictate the rights and responsibilities of the seven states in the river's watershed. The federal government has a treaty with Mexico which dictates how Colorado River water is allocated to that country.

Note the Compact was promulgated thirteen years before Hoover Dam was completed. Without the successful negotiations of the Senators and Representatives of the seven states and President Harding's signature on the legislation, the Colorado River Compact would not have happened and Hoover Dam would not have been built. Once it was agreed upon, further Congressional actions during the administrations of Calvin Coolidge and Herbert Hoover provided the legislation and funding which allowed construction to begin.

Any changes in the amounts of water allocated or the manner in which storage in lakes Powell and Mead are accomplished must be negotiated through the mechanisms of the Compact or the treaty. These federal laws are well understood, and all seven states are bound by the Compact's dictates.

Overweight men in Southern Nevada Water Authority pickups don't have any influence on how the Compact is implemented or how much water is apportioned to the states. Whatever one of them might say to a stranger wearing pajama pants and flip flops at a boat ramp doesn't mean a damn thing.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
You actually have to go to an accredited college and pass to even be considered to test to be state certified but nice try lol

No, you just do a Google search, send an email with a copy of your GED, and get hired the next day. Just ask the expert that posted that information.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Yep.

The 1922 Colorado River Compact and its subsequent revisions dictate the rights and responsibilities of the seven states in the river's watershed. The federal government has a treaty with Mexico which dictates how Colorado River water is allocated to that country.

Any changes in the amounts of water allocated or the manner in which storage in lakes Powell and Mead are accomplished must be negotiated through the mechanisms of the Compact or the treaty. These federal laws are well understood, and all seven states are bound by the Compact's dictates.

Overweight men in Southern Nevada Water Authority pickups don't have any influence on how the Compact is implemented or how much water is apportioned to the states. Whatever one of them might say to a stranger wearing pajama pants and flip flops at a boat ramp doesn't mean a damn thing.

BOUND by the Compact!!!

🤣

69hondo

Reaction score
Right lol. We live in Boulder City so we’ve pretty much decided that we’re just going to launch at Willow and be on Mohave this summer.

I was just thinking the same thing. Thanks for all the updates.

grumpy88

Reaction score

This is what happens in southern California except first after it dries a group of work release people get to rake it up and shovel it into wheel barrels and make a huge mound for a loader to scope up into trucks . Nice work if you can get it ! Lol

retaocleg

Reaction score
ask how water from colorado river ended up going to cal..........they dumped water from lakes to create a drought that would only be remedied by creating another water source from here........create a prob that they already have a solution for...........problem=reaction=solution

this type of fockery didnt just start recently

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I’m going to Powell in August and going to motor up to see Cathedral in the Desert in the Escalante Arm and try and park the boat and get some great pics in Reflection Canyon. I’ve spent most of my time in the Face and West Canyon area and Rainbow Bridge of course but want to see the upper parts of the lake. The cave at rock creek is huge right now due to low water level. Will run over to Gunsight and Padre Bay on one of the days. Not sure where I will launch. Would prefer Antelope especially since I’m heading so far up the lake on day one.
FYI Antelope is closed, and not like #ParkerIsClosed. Need 26’ of water gain in the next 2 months to get past the cliff at the end of the ramp.
7130F5F2-BD3A-4868-9651-73DB6B2B54C7.png

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
That might be true for a small rural .6 MGD plant in Kansas but not here. T1/D1 is pointless and wont get you in any metropolitan district

View attachment 1009439
Thx for that. I think I was trying to say that we all start at zero experience one way or another. The T1 has a minimum GED so there is that.
Anyway, thx for the absolute clarity.

On this test question...
4253-9882-42D2403B5A91.jpeg
just for fun...
is the answer 'c'? I think a and b are eliminated by anoxic conditions and d is a catalytic reaction not a bioreaction.

Last edited:

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Thx for that. I think I was trying to say that we all start at zero experience one way or another. The T1 has a minimum GED so there is that.
Anyway, thx for the absolute clarity.

On this test question...
just for fun...
is the answer 'c'? I think a and b are eliminated by anoxic conditions and d is a catalytic reaction not a bioreaction.
Yep its C. This is one of the processes that occur when nitrate gets applied for odor control.
Im actually surprised they didnt throw the annamox reaction on there to really throw dumbasses like me off lol

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
ask how water from colorado river ended up going to cal..........they dumped water from lakes to create a drought that would only be remedied by creating another water source from here........create a prob that they already have a solution for...........problem=reaction=solution

this type of fockery didnt just start recently
Southern california has always been and will always be an arid desert that will have cyclical droughts. The Colorado River Aqueduct was first formed because LA was growing at an increasing rate during the early 1900's.......As population grew, so did the need for a greater supply. Enter the California state water project of 1960 that helps supply a huge percentage of Socal.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I dont know where your house is or the layout but Im going to assume you have septic. Thats the only way effluent gets absorbed and purified back into the ground water
LOL,... I knew you would catch that, just took a minute...thanks for posting in this thread....

retaocleg

Reaction score
Southern california has always been and will always be an arid desert that will have cyclical droughts. The Colorado River Aqueduct was first formed because LA was growing at an increasing rate during the early 1900's.......As population grew, so did the need for a greater supply. Enter the California state water project of 1960 that helps supply a huge percentage of Socal.
and they purposly dumped water to fain drought to get reluctant people to approve the funding........