WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

**LAKE MEAD MAN MADE DOOM AND GLOOM ????**

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I remember going into the Grand Canyon in the early 90's with our boats & jet skis. We would tie the jet skis up somewhere just past Pierce Ferry & continue by boat since they only had so much gas.

We did it a few years in a row always going further up, hauling (6) 5 gallon gas cans along with the 50 gallons my tanks held after filling up at Temple Bar. We'd ask rafters what the conditions were like as they came down so we knew if it was safe to venture further up (they are the only ones we'd see besides the rangers who would do one trip up & back each day). I wonder if that'll ever happen again. We were lucky.

It must've been close to full pool then.

You can legally go ~56 miles up river from Pierce Ferry to Separation Canyon (No up river travel beyond that point).

With Pierce Ferry Landing dry, and Pierce Ferry Rapids being an obstacle, up river travel from South Point is all but done, at current water elevations.
@ 1106' msl, Pierce Ferry Rapids are under water.
At 1071' msl today, we need 35' to get into the Grand Canyon.
I've been waiting years for the level to come up. :mad:

Dan'l

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Great thread fellas, and thanks for the recon and sources Steve. I’ll add my $.02, from the opposite end of Mead (Meadview/South Cove) perspective. First and foremost, the “doom and gloom” is definitely man made, and the media shamelessly calling out climate crisis, global warming etc is nothing more than an agenda. A reservoir is just that, a man made way to STORE water. Droughts per se are cyclical, they’ve happened before and they will happen again. Just a few years ago the water level was up due to well above average snowpack, this year it was horrendously below average. The 1983 flood was exactly the opposite of what we’re seeing now. The zillion agencies with water rights still get their water, whether it’s upstream or down of Powell and Mead. It really is that simple. Whether or not the 1075’ accord between most of the users is a legitimate emergency measure that will pay dividends or just another piece of agenda remains to be seen. I’m with 2FF that the 150’ down mark just might be the new norm.

The South Cove ramp was barely usable Memorial Day, and it took normal peeps to remove rocks and help each other out to get boats on and off trailers. You had to back off the end of the pipe mats and drop the trailer into the unknown abyss just to float your boat off. For most, getting back out was a 4Low or bust operation, and unloading your craft of people and gear was pretty much mandatory to launch and recover. Down basin, well clear of the muddy mess at Sandy Point, the water was still very nice and we found new beach spots never seen before. I didn’t venture as far as Temple Bar that trip so I can’t vouch for conditions there. The park service people I’m told are working on the ramp next Tuesday, I’ll be heading up Father’s Day weekend to see if boating is still in the cards or not. If not, the reality is we’ll just have to wait and hope for a lot more snow. Or I might just have to buy one of those jet bote thingys and head downstream where the water is.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I hate to be the Debbie Downer in your thread Steve, but I think that the politicians are learning to use water (and all forms of energy/air/water) as more tools of doom and gloom. It will continually be abused in their agenda to divide and control those that they care so much about. Rainfall and snow pack are just a small part of it. With all the trillions being thrown around, I have not heard of one desalinazation plant being considered.
Regardless, great thread!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL

Steve, it's clear you have a huge interest in the lake and the river!

Mead will never stabilize. It will always be in flux. Havasu is probably the only lake that will be stable, due to to all the aquaduct feeds that are there.

Everything south of Havasu will always be Sorta stable as well.

I think you and your wife should make a road trip to Colorado. I think you'd get a huge kick out of seeing the three connected lakes that form the headwaters of the river.

We went decades ago. We did a helo trip while we were there to see the view from the sky.

It was definitely an awe inspiring trip. We spent a few days up there. Totally worth it!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
About 3 or 4 years ago we did 2 more weirs with Las Vegas paving. If you take Galleria drive east, and make a left before lake Lake Las Vegas or Tuscany and thats where we tied those weirs. Wetlands park is Coyote Central they thrive out there.

The water is also really warm. In the winters the water actually steams, it's rather erie. One of the park officials did tell us that there a couple of pools where there are piranhas, but they can't leave those certain pools because the water would be too cold.

What a great way to keep people out of those pools. Start a rumor like that! 😁

yard dog

Reaction score
Boulder harbor launch ramp will be closed Friday June 11th
until further notice, information from the Lake Mead National Park Service

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Yes , they said the Channel is only 2.5 feet unsafe for lake access.
they said they were gonna dig that out, but my bet is they will dig it out to let water out as it drops, or just let the water evap and close that area off

SKIA36

Reaction score
they said they were gonna dig that out, but my bet is they will dig it out to let water out as it drops, or just let the water evap and close that area off
Per Gail Kaiser(Marina Operators), the woman who is the only one that can authorize the dredging is off on leave with no return date...the dredge equipment is sitting in a yard at the lake.

kimbalee

Reaction score
Great thread fellas, and thanks for the recon and sources Steve. I’ll add my $.02, from the opposite end of Mead (Meadview/South Cove) perspective. First and foremost, the “doom and gloom” is definitely man made, and the media shamelessly calling out climate crisis, global warming etc is nothing more than an agenda. A reservoir is just that, a man made way to STORE water. Droughts per se are cyclical, they’ve happened before and they will happen again. Just a few years ago the water level was up due to well above average snowpack, this year it was horrendously below average. The 1983 flood was exactly the opposite of what we’re seeing now. The zillion agencies with water rights still get their water, whether it’s upstream or down of Powell and Mead. It really is that simple. Whether or not the 1075’ accord between most of the users is a legitimate emergency measure that will pay dividends or just another piece of agenda remains to be seen. I’m with 2FF that the 150’ down mark just might be the new norm.

The South Cove ramp was barely usable Memorial Day, and it took normal peeps to remove rocks and help each other out to get boats on and off trailers. You had to back off the end of the pipe mats and drop the trailer into the unknown abyss just to float your boat off. For most, getting back out was a 4Low or bust operation, and unloading your craft of people and gear was pretty much mandatory to launch and recover. Down basin, well clear of the muddy mess at Sandy Point, the water was still very nice and we found new beach spots never seen before. I didn’t venture as far as Temple Bar that trip so I can’t vouch for conditions there. The park service people I’m told are working on the ramp next Tuesday, I’ll be heading up Father’s Day weekend to see if boating is still in the cards or not. If not, the reality is we’ll just have to wait and hope for a lot more snow. Or I might just have to buy one of those jet bote thingys and head downstream where the water is.

I couldn't agree more. We actually went down to iceberg from Echo on Memorial Day - holy cow, you could not tell the South Cove ramp had any issues - there must have been 200 trucks n trailers in the parking lot on Saturday!

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
So, is anyone complaining, bitching, or otherwise questioning why they have been dumping massive amounts of water for the past 100 days ?
Every single news story I see is about how climate change is causing this.
Serious question. What can/should we be doing to expose the FACT that this is a self inflicted crisis. Where is the ASA of the Colorado River? Why is everyone so silent about this ?
Beuller ?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I washed my truck today.

In my defense i have a pressure washer so it doesnt use much water.

On the flip side i pulled the flow restictor out of my new moen shower head yesterday.

BUT!!, You live in California

Steve, I just watched a Story on the condition of things in UTAh, and if I heard it once I heard the WORD, Draught a dozen times. These Farmers are scared Shitless and were saying for many this Year is the Do OR DIE year.

I guess the Farmers and People do Not want to hear any Doubters of if this is a Drought.:rolleyes:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So, is anyone complaining, bitching, or otherwise questioning why they have been dumping massive amounts of water for the past 100 days ?
Serious question. What can/should we be doing to expose the FACT that this is a self inflicted crisis. Where is the ASA of the Colorado River? Why is everyone so silent about this ?
Beuller ?

You should probably read this whole thread. It's pretty much been discussed to death! Lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Beuller ?

Nobody is dumping water. The alloted allocations are being supplied. Mexico is asking for it's share.

The news is trying to sell advertising. They have to procure eyeballs to do that. Fake news gets the job done.

It is self inflicted. Based on allocations set up in the 1920's. They are doing their best to alter them. It's not easy to do.

The ASA was formed to fight false the claims of Center for Biological Diversity. In this situation, the enviro nuts actually want all the dams torn down, so they have to fight the government to make that happen. Fat chance of that. No ASA required on this one.

Silent? The media has pretty much everyone talking about this issue with their false narrative.

The only thing being silenced is the truth. Why? You can't sell advertising by publishing the truth. Same shit, different topic.

👍

OC Mike

Reaction score
It may have been said already, I heard from a source that once the Lake maintains 1072, Arizona gets cut to 40%.
Arizona has known this is coming and has been spooling up for it.

1072??? aprox. 150' down...Hmmmmmm........

Loo Dog

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. We actually went down to iceberg from Echo on Memorial Day - holy cow, you could not tell the South Cove ramp had any issues - there must have been 200 trucks n trailers in the parking lot on Saturday!
Yes there were still quite a few trucks/trailers on the ramp. Last year the upper lot was full, too! The funny thing is, it’s never crowded on or off, and once you’re out there, it’s hard to figure out where all the boats are.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Nobody is dumping water. The alloted allocations are being supplied. Mexico is asking for it's share.

The news is trying to sell advertising. They have to procure eyeballs to do that. Fake news gets the job done.

It is self inflicted. Based on allocations set up in the 1920's. They are doing their best to alter them. It's not easy to do.

The ASA was formed to fight false the claims of Center for Biological Diversity. In this situation, the enviro nuts actually want all the dams torn down, so they have to fight the government to make that happen. Fat chance of that. No ASA required on this one.

Silent? The media has pretty much everyone talking about this issue with their false narrative.

The only thing being silenced is the truth. Why? You can't sell advertising by publishing the truth. Same shit, different topic.

👍
Like the old adage says. “The truth just don’t sell”.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

👍
I don't believe you....lol

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Per Gail Kaiser(Marina Operators), the woman who is the only one that can authorize the dredging is off on leave with no return date...the dredge equipment is sitting in a yard at the lake.
So there isn't anyone covering her while she is out to give this authorization?

OkHallett270

Reaction score

This video came through my you tube suggestions today and with all the talk of the ‘83 full pool, I thought I’d share this cool footage. (This is not my footage, just found this on YouTube by random chance. It probably popped up due to the media stirring up attention to the end of the world record low level droughts.) For the record this was filmed the year I was born. After I watched it an ad popped up suggesting I give up my car and take to travel via ride share programs! 🙄 I went to the dam on vacation in 2015.The water was low then too. The tour guide told us that even at that low level the amount of water in that reservoir is second only to the Great Lakes. Largest man made reservoir in the USA. It was an impressive sight to see for sure!

Riley1

Reaction score
I’ve been going to Blythe a few times for the last 3 years. I learned 3 years ago “You don’t boat on Fridays”. Locals told me it’s always low on Friday’s for irrigation. Well this Friday, the water was higher that I had ever seen it.
85A7B3AD-BA28-466C-AE40-361983F74EDB.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
from feb 13th to june 13th the lake dropped 16'.... the lake was at 1071' on the 13th of june, and 1087' in feb......

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
in jan 2000, lake level was 1219.6 yesterday it was 1071.... dropped 148'... so still more to go...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
so I'm wondering if boulder harbor, or hemmingway ramps are open... it's a 100 mile round trip for me to go look....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
OK, so I read this.... boulder will remain closed through the summer,. but hemming way opened with pipe mats to launch

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
OK, so I read this.... boulder will remain closed through the summer,. but hemming way opened with pipe mats to launch

STEVE!!, do you think Anything of Real Consequence will happen until the "Wheels" are Affected in a Serious Way?

Riley1

Reaction score
so I'm wondering if boulder harbor, or hemmingway ramps are open... it's a 100 mile round trip for me to go look....
Hemingway was open on Sunday
80DCAD2B-055F-4511-A359-15B11723A8D6.jpeg
2 lanes and about an hour to launch/retrieve

KK12

Reaction score

Hemmenway is open. I pulled my boat out of there yesterday. Boulder was open last week when I launched but they closed once hemmenway was open.

Hemmenway is all good now 👍🏻

KK12

Reaction score
Hemingway was open on Sunday View attachment 1013911 2 lanes and about an hour to launch/retrieve

Ya that line sucked on Sunday. I was gonna pull it out Sunday but saw that line and figured I’d grab it Monday morning before heading out of town.

I figured it would of took longer than an hour. Sounds like it was moving okay.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
STEVE!!, do you think Anything of Real Consequence will happen until the "Wheels" are Affected in a Serious Way?
I think what will happen is what ever they want... and nothing will change that... at one point the lake will be at the level they want and the mysterious lake dropping will cease like covid

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think what will happen is what ever they want... and nothing will change that... at one point the lake will be at the level they want and the mysterious lake dropping will cease like covid

I follow this account on Instagram...

http://instagr.am/p/CQHvORUl-_B/
They posed all the open/closed ramps on Powell yesterday.

Maybe Mead has an Instagram account like this you can follow??

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I hate to be the Debbie Downer in your thread Steve, but I think that the politicians are learning to use water (and all forms of energy/air/water) as more tools of doom and gloom. It will continually be abused in their agenda to divide and control those that they care so much about. Rainfall and snow pack are just a small part of it. With all the trillions being thrown around, I have not heard of one desalinazation plant being considered.
Regardless, great thread!
A De-Sal plant was just approved by some committee / county, or some bullshit entity to be built right near my house in Huntington Beach.
I think they are going to use the cooling pipes from the old powerplant that run under PCH and into the ocean.
It still has to get final approval from the Coastal Commission, but I'd venture to say it's a done deal.
The residents of the area have been fighting it for it years with petitions, city council meetings, websites, etc. etc.
I knew it was coming, they just drew-out the inevitable. Someone apparently sucked-off the right person to get it passed.
The thing that gets me is that the water apparently produced will be sent elsewhere and sold for a high price relative to what the water district charges.
So not surprising, it just sounds like a giant money grab rather than a solution to a water shortage.

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
A De-Sal plant was just approved by some committee / county, or some bullshit entity to be built right near my house in Huntington Beach.
I think they are going to use the cooling pipes from the old powerplant that run under PCH and into the ocean.
It still has to get final approval from the Coastal Commission, but I'd venture to say it's a done deal.
The residents of the area have been fighting it for it years with petitions, city council meetings, websites, etc. etc.
I knew it was coming, they just drew-out the inevitable. Someone apparently sucked-off the right person to get it passed.
The thing that gets me is that the water apparently produced will be sent elsewhere and sold for a high price relative to water the water district charges.
So not surprising, it just sounds like a giant money grab rather than a solution to a water shortage.

Shut the water off and see what gets approved.

Dan'l

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The thing that gets me is that the water apparently produced will be sent elsewhere and sold for a high price relative to what the water district charges.

DeSal plants are extremely expensive to build and maintain. Everything, and I mean everything, is stainless steel. That alone triples average job costs. They cost as much as major league sports stadiums to build. They’ll never get out of the red and into the black by only providing water to the locals.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
DeSal plants are extremely expensive to build and maintain. Everything, and I mean everything, is stainless steel. That alone triples average job costs. They cost as much as major league sports stadiums to build. They’ll never get out of the red and into the black by only providing water to the locals.
I guess my bitch is look at Amtrak or the USPS. All the free money that has gone out over the last 16 months. All the blue states that were bailed out thru the pork in the stimulus bills, etc. etc. etc. Wouldn't it be prudent to subsidize a desalinazation plant?
Probably won't do any good to have one though, we'd need a pipeline to try and make it a little more efficient.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I guess my bitch is look at Amtrak or the USPS. All the free money that has gone out over the last 16 months. All the blue states that were bailed out thru the pork in the stimulus bills, etc. etc. etc. Wouldn't it be prudent to subsidize a desalinazation plant?
Probably won't do any good to have one though, we'd need a pipeline to try and make it a little more efficient.

You’re not wrong which should make us think whether this is really a legit crisis and instead man made by our politicians.

They’ve put more effort in building a useless bullet train from Bakersfield to Modesto rather than any new reservoirs.

Let’s assume for argument sake that this “crisis” is legit. It’s not like this couldn’t be foreseen decades ago so our politicians have still failed us miserably.

For the record I don’t personally believe this is a crisis but rather one our politicians developed themselves for political gain and to create a bunch of noise to distract the common voter from the real root of the problem.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
This I why nothing happens. Nimby takes over because nobody wants it near them.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
This I why nothing happens. Nimby takes over because nobody wants it near them.
I'm pretty sure it's a done deal. I could really care less one way or another. They just finished a new AES power-plant right next to the old one. It's natural gas where the original one used bunker oil early-on. The infrastructure for the intake and outlet is already there, so I can see why they are pushing for that location.
So between the 'Shit-Plant' east of Me, the old power-plant, the new power plant, and a toxic waste site right next to it . . . what difference will a de-sal plant make?/ LOL

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Desal plants are simply nuts. The cost and maintenance is astronomical. And really, it’s only a band aid. I’ve said before, build an aqueduct from the Columbia river, down to the northern most part of the CA aqueduct system above Lake Shasta. Its only like 400 miles. Then tie it in to the rest of the system all the way down the coast. If we as a nation could build the Erie Canal in 1817, that’s over 360 miles, we could certainly build a modern one from the Columbia river. But since it would solve ALL the water issues in the west, well, we all know it will never be done. The big moneys WANTS water to be a very finite commodity, that way they can overcharge ALL of us for it.

Last edited: