WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Mead

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Planning a trip to lake mead next month where is a good place to stay and possibly a slip for the boat? Havent been in yrs

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What size boat, the ramps are absolutely fucked right now depending on the size/type of boat and how it sits on the trailer.

Best place to stay is Boulder City imo, good motels and great restaurants all walking distance in downtown.

kimbalee

Reaction score
Better check ramp levels - we normally go to Echo or TB and had to cancel for 4th of July and go to Cottonwood on Mohave because we couldn't get our 24' Lavey off the trailer. Ramps are a poop show right now.

AEA

Reaction score
Better check ramp levels - we normally go to Echo or TB and had to cancel for 4th of July and go to Cottonwood on Mohave because we couldn't get our 24' Lavey off the trailer. Ramps are a poop show right now.
How was your experience at Cottonwood?

kimbalee

Reaction score
How was your experience at Cottonwood?
It was very pleasant. Camped in the RV hookups so we got there early Thursday to ensure we got a slip because they are first come first served. The only negative thing about Cottonwood is they will not let us use our golf cart to get our dogs to the marina/boat. We have 3 GSDs and their feet burn when they have to walk from the coach to the boat so we always end up putting them in a houseboat cart but sometimes even those are hard to find. Other than that, they have a small cafe with basic food, a very well stocked store & a fabulous ramp. The usual nonsense on Mohave tho' of EZ ups, chairs, bbqs etc. being left on EVERY SINGLE BEACH to save for the next day. We don't do Cottonwood more than once a year but it was nice. Going to Willow Beach in a couple of weeks - lots more to do up there with the dam, hot springs etc.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
What size boat, the ramps are absolutely fucked right now depending on the size/type of boat and how it sits on the trailer.

Best place to stay is Boulder City imo, good motels and great restaurants all walking distance in downtown.
25 ft wakeboard boat

hallett21

Reaction score

Damn I would think you could float a 24 pretty much anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LB247XS

Reaction score
Temple Bar ramp is supposedly closed but also has a sign saying launch at own risk. Dirt with uneven pipe mat also heard people were popping tires there in the ramp.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

AEA

Reaction score
It was very pleasant. Camped in the RV hookups so we got there early Thursday to ensure we got a slip because they are first come first served. The only negative thing about Cottonwood is they will not let us use our golf cart to get our dogs to the marina/boat. We have 3 GSDs and their feet burn when they have to walk from the coach to the boat so we always end up putting them in a houseboat cart but sometimes even those are hard to find. Other than that, they have a small cafe with basic food, a very well stocked store & a fabulous ramp. The usual nonsense on Mohave tho' of EZ ups, chairs, bbqs etc. being left on EVERY SINGLE BEACH to save for the next day. We don't do Cottonwood more than once a year but it was nice. Going to Willow Beach in a couple of weeks - lots more to do up there with the dam, hot springs etc.
Thanks, glad you had a good time. We have always gone to Mead, but looking for someplace else now.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
las vegas news yesterday reported that the feds are about to declare a first ever water shortage at lake mead in the near future. :eek:

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score

Its not the size of the boat its clearing the step hull from the bunks. You have to go in much deeper than a non step hull. That being said, it was difficult to launch there 5 years ago I can imagine the conditions now. Sad to see what Mead is becoming.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Hemenway is terrible, my dad and his buddy launched a 30 at Callville last week. Now its a mud hole haha.

HBCraig

Reaction score
You can still launch at Echo bay?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Hemenway is terrible, my dad and his buddy launched a 30 at Callville last week. Now its a mud hole haha.

I launched a 32' Racey at Callville saturday morning, it was a MFer to get it back on the trailer because of how steep the ramp is, and how heavy those boats are, they right at 10k on the trailer.

Had to drive the boat up onto the trailer with both motors probably 4 feet.

I went super early in the morning to specifically not be that asshole at the ramp as i knew it was gonna be a cluster fuck. Still ended up clogging up about 5 people in line as it was just me and the owner of the boat, so no crew to help manage the boat trying to drift over the uprights or anything. Powerwinch cable ended up jamming, blah blah blah... took about 10-15 minutes to do what normally takes about 90 seconds

I made a point to apologize to everyone waiting in line that I was sorry for holding them up. They were all cool, but i still felt like "that asshole"

The ramp at Hemenway pretty much flattens out right as the fenders on the trailer go under water, so unless you want to shampoo the carpet in your truck you are screwed.

I think a 24' Hallett would be pressing your luck at Hemenway, especially if you care about your tow vehicle.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Temple Bar ramp is supposedly closed but also has a sign saying launch at own risk. Dirt with uneven pipe mat also heard people were popping tires there in the ramp.

I just called the T Bar Hotline--ring ring ring to Busy same thing last week I was really looking forward to "It's a beautiful day at T bar, how can I help you" :rolleyes:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I launched a 32' Racey at Callville saturday morning, it was a MFer to get it back on the trailer because of how steep the ramp is, and how heavy those boats are, they right at 10k on the trailer.

Had to drive the boat up onto the trailer with both motors probably 4 feet.

I went super early in the morning to specifically not be that asshole at the ramp as i knew it was gonna be a cluster fuck. Still ended up clogging up about 5 people in line as it was just me and the owner of the boat, so no crew to help manage the boat trying to drift over the uprights or anything. Powerwinch cable ended up jamming, blah blah blah... took about 10-15 minutes to do what normally takes about 90 seconds

I made a point to apologize to everyone waiting in line that I was sorry for holding them up. They were all cool, but i still felt like "that asshole"
32 Spectra basically right? I'm with you. If it takes any longer than the normal minute and half you think you are holding everyone up.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
32 Spectra basically right? I'm with you. If it takes any longer than the normal minute and half you think you are holding everyone up.

32' spectra with probably an extra 1,000lbs+ of glass. They are laid up like the ski race Schiadas. Super heavy lamination schedule, extra bulkhead, extra stringers/battons, deck coring and bracing, they don't flex like the normal 32's

LB247XS

Reaction score
I just called the T Bar Hotline--ring ring ring to Busy same thing last week I was really looking forward to "It's a beautiful day at T bar, how can I help you" :rolleyes:
I talked to the girls in the front office last week we wanted to make reservations and that's where I heard all the stuff about the ramp and she says yeah people are calling their constantly to see if the ramp is open they can't keep up on the phone calls

Runs2rch

Reaction score
32' spectra with probably an extra 1,000lbs+ of glass. They are laid up like the ski race Schiadas. Super heavy lamination schedule, extra bulkhead, extra stringers/battons, deck coring and bracing, they don't flex like the normal 32's
Right on. I knew you guys did some tweaking, but damn. What does this one have for power?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Right on. I knew you guys did some tweaking, but damn. What does this one have for power?

Just some old 454 Brummett Motors, nothing crazy, they are like 30 years old now. Getting ready to pull them and have them freshened up.

Boat won't set any records, but they sure ride nice and beat the water well. Not very fuel efficient though 🤣

They are more like a luxury cruiser in today's world. All solid teak cabinetry and fine upholstery in the cabins, thick pile house carpet. They are pretty f'n nice

hallett21

Reaction score
Just some old 454 Brummett Motors, nothing crazy, they are like 30 years old now. Getting ready to pull them and have them freshened up.

Boat won't set any records, but they sure ride nice and beat the water well. Not very fuel efficient though 🤣

They are more like a luxury cruiser in today's world. All solid teak cabinetry and fine upholstery in the cabins, thick pile house carpet. They are pretty f'n nice

You guys still build them?

Photos of one you built?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You guys still build them?

Photos of one you built?

No, my father got rid of the molds, Last one built was probably around 95'

They are a great boat, but not really a boat that the modern market demands.

Imagine what a new Schiada V-drive would cost with 2 motors and 10 extra feet.... That is what it would take to build one.... In that price range a lot of options are on the table.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Don't even bother with Lake Mead right now, the water level has dropped so much the ramps are a cluster if you can even launch. Lake Mojave is a better choice but you better get there early as the marina (especially Willow Beach) reaches capacity early. We went to Kathryn Landing at Bullhead City and now prefer going there despite it being a longer drive for us.

MSum661

Reaction score
Don't even bother with Lake Mead right now, the water level has dropped so much the ramps are a cluster if you can even launch. Lake Mojave is a better choice but you better get there early as the marina (especially Willow Beach) reaches capacity early. We went to Kathryn Landing at Bullhead City and now prefer going there despite it being a longer drive for us.

Check this out. Some wild projections directly from the Bureau of Reclamation 5 days ago related to lake Powell, and then Lake Mead.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
And to think just 1 year ago the city of st. George was going to put a pipeline into Powell. Poooof... Sorry ST. GEORGE the hard water deposits ruined the drain valve and now it's stuck open. 🙄

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Buddy launched his 255 Hallett at Hemenway yesterday to switch trailers back after re-bunking, he said it sucked but was doable, submerged the rear axle of his 1500.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Buddy launched his 255 Hallett at Hemenway yesterday to switch trailers back after re-bunking, he said it sucked but was doable, submerged the rear axle of his 1500.
The other day I parked and watched people launching/retrieving. All small boats, trucks with 4 wheels in the water.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The other day I parked and watched people launching/retrieving. All small boats, trucks with 4 wheels in the water.

No doubt, i'm sure if his rear axle was under the front wheels were definitely wet too.

kimbalee

Reaction score

Ours is a bit different - we have a Kustom trailer with the boat on bottom and top deck with 2 cranes for the golf cart or 2 seadoos and launch with a 40' DP. Can't launch in dirt but have launched on pipemats at TB for years with no problem. Now the water is so low it's just too shallow to get it off the trailer. We were going to try South Cove because it's a deeper angle but after the loader fell off the end of the ramp and sank 70 ft we scrapped that idea lol.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
So it sounds like there isnt a solid Ramp to launch from especially since it wont be for another 30 days till i get there i dont see the ramps getting any better as time goes on this summer

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Temple bar resort called us and canceled our reservations for this weekend sighting the ramp is unusable.

I just spoke to the Gal at the Store, "Ramp is closed" not even use at own risk. F me. That place is the pinnacle of kickass on Mead. I remember when the H20 was close to the horseshoe pits long ago..... She said people were getting stuck tearing tires etc. Make Temple Bar Great Again

69hondo

Reaction score
I just spoke to the Gal at the Store, "Ramp is closed" not even use at own risk. F me. That place is the pinnacle of kickass on Mead. I remember when the H20 was close to the horseshoe pits long ago..... She said people were getting stuck tearing tires etc. Make Temple Bar Great Again

Yeah it sucks, definitely one of the last places on the river that is old school and quiet. Temple bar really is "closed"!

Pelon

Reaction score
Temple Bar was a ghost town this weekend! A few of us were on our houseboats, but the lake was empty, as was the hotel and restaurant. If you could launch at South Cove or one of the other ramps and boat to Temple Bar you would have that end of the lake to yourselves!

t bar closed .jpg

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Temple Bar was a ghost town this weekend! A few of us were on our houseboats, but the lake was empty, as was the hotel and restaurant. If you could launch at South Cove or one of the other ramps and boat to Temple Bar you would have that end of the lake to yourselves!

View attachment 1027909

Holy Chit this saddens me. I had plans to do some august trips out there. I have spent so many glorious days and nights on that side of Mead.
I am not even sure if South cove is open due to the Dozer incident. Make TBar and (Lake Mead) Great Again🤘

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Holy Chit this saddens me. I had plans to do some august trips out there. I have spent so many glorious days and nights on that side of Mead.
I am not even sure if South cove is open due to the Dozer incident. Make TBar and (Lake Mead) Great Again🤘
Last I heard, you have to take the dirt road to the left and launch from the waters edge…this was a week or so ago and not sure if the ramp itself is open now.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Just found this posted today from a fishing report in the Kingman paper :
We launched at Hauburger Point, using the rough, rocky trail that leads to a ditch that we use as our only ramp near South Cove. This is the only place in Mohave County where boaters and anglers can launch from