WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake mohave, any obstacles heading to the Dam?

traquer

Reaction score
Does the lake really get shallow as it widens up and you go north? Or did my Dad just always say that because he never felt like driving that far lol

Reactions: DWC

MSum661

Reaction score
Does the lake really get shallow as it widens up and you go north? Or did my Dad just always say that because he never felt like driving that far lol

The only portion of Mojave that looked and felt kinda sketchy to me was just down river below the Hoover Dam. There's some fairly jumbo size boulder's and some shallow gravel sections in that area that I would keep some eyeballs open for. Other than that no problem. jmo.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
The only portion of Mojave that looked and felt kinda sketchy to me was just down river below the Hoover Dam. There's some fairly jumbo size boulder's and some shallow gravel sections in that area that I would keep some eyeballs open for. Other than that no problem. jmo.
That's where Mel ShakeYoAzz got hung up. Right on top of a boulder.

DaveH

Reaction score
it looks far worse then it is. the water is crystal clear and you can see right to the bottom giving it the impression it is shallower than it is.

MSum661

Reaction score
it looks far worse then it is. the water is crystal clear and you can see right to the bottom giving it the impression it is shallower than it is.

Yupp. But I have witnessed someone right next to me roll right over the top of one of those big monsters that are shaped like the Moon. Lifted their boat about 6 inches. True story.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

traquer

Reaction score
Would love to make the trip one day, but don't wanna do it alone would need to find at least another boat. When is the damn dam run again? If it's already past, maybe someone would be down to do it later in August. Just thinking out loud

MSum661

Reaction score
Would love to make the trip one day, but don't wanna do it alone would need to find at least another boat. When is the damn dam run again? If it's already past, maybe someone would be down to do it later in August. Just thinking out loud

It's a Badass Day!

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
aug 14 be there or be square

Jay Dub

Reaction score
We did the trip to the dam a few weeks ago in our 210. We put in at Willow beach. No issues. You will see the rock bars.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
From post 155, darkhorseracing in The Dam Damn run thread.
As stated the water is so clear up there it gives the impression it's shallow. You should try and get into the hot springs that is just below the dam on the west side. It's a little tight to get into the little cove with the current but worth the effort.

Hi all, I just did my own dam run on Thursday. First time. It was a long ride from Katherines (we went about 40 the whole time due to the family on the boat), but we stopped at Cottonwood and checked it out. They had 91 fuel as someone previously mentioned (Katherines still only has 87). Also stopped and checked out Willow Beach. They also have 91. I fueled up there (having started the run down at Katherines with a full tank). Cottonwood and Willow are both excellent facilities. Navigating up to Willow Beach was totally fine.

Up river from Willow was fine until about mile marker 61. The last mile was totally hairy, at least to me with a 30' deep v bottom and a 5K CNC prop (and no spare on board). I wound up coming off plane and idling up, navigating by depthfinder and a couple guys in the bow looking for shallows/reefs and directing me to the deeper channel. At one point I noticed some serious river swirling and came up on a boulder field. Backed off and slid to the right, and made it around. I think I saw what someone referred to as the rock island on the left, and then about 100 yards up was another just barely submerged boulder or rock near the right wall. Got around that ok as well.

Made it up to the sign across the river where it was deeper. Sign was tough to read, in bad shape. Made it up to the river barrier, took some picks, marveled at the sights, and then floated back down, navigating around the shallows (never less than 4 feet deep in the areas I did wind up in), into the deeper channel (10-20 feet). Never once hassled by anyone or anything up by the river barrier, but we didnt stay more than a couple minutes.

Having done it once (it was a bucket list thing), I don't know if I would do it again, but I would recommend it for the ones who have not seen the dam from that vantage, its really amazing.

You all have a good run and enjoy it, I wish I could have participated in the event!

nowski

Reaction score
I raised my kids camping at Cottonwood Cove back in the day. During every camping trip we'd always spend a day and go see the Dam. We've been up that way as late as the 2nd week of November (back in the day) and never had any issues, granted it can get shallow but all you have to do is read the river...

Hot Springs.jpg
The Dam.jpg

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Hey it's pretty peaceful up that way.

P1010604.JPG

P1010610.JPG

P1010615.JPG

P1010619.JPG

It is my understanding these plank walkways was how the workers from the Arizona side got to work. This area was recreated to what it was in the day. They also used trolley cars to get from one side of the river to the other. Last pic is the original cliff walkways closer to the dam.

P1010620.JPG

P1010621.JPG

P1010598.JPG

Last edited:

Wedgy

Reaction score
The main body of the lake is not shallow. Long, and wide. The only hazard I know is Cottwood Island in the dark. Use the Nnavigation markers, have a chart.

Agua Frio way up by there dam there too. The water is amazing. Many colors. Bighhorn sheep galore.

Beautiful there all along the Colorado river canyon below the Dam. It's cool coming back down, the gradual drop makes the water look like an endless pool does.

Don't tow around in front of Willow Beach/ Fish hatchery, you'll meet the Ranger. There is a sign.

A marine radio is a good thing to have. From Katherine's on up is some fairly big water. Cottonwood, and Willow Beach on up are a smoother trip for a smaller boat.

There are navigation markers and lights all the way up from dam to dam. Red. Right, returning. Keep those markers on your right, especially coming back, in darkness. Safety First.

I believe it's 14 miles up to Hoover Dam from WB. It truly is a Bucket list trip.

Smooth Sailing.

LC925

Reaction score

I had/have the same concern. Not wanting to do it alone. This Damn Dam run just happens to solve that and get to meet the RDP community as well. Will be my first year joining and looking forward to it.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I had/have the same concern. Not wanting to do it alone. This Damn Dam run just happens to solve that and get to meet the RDP community as well. Will be my first year joining and looking forward to it.
Nice so you will be there for sure?

Trash

Reaction score
With the water level at 640' MSL or so there will be no problem. North of Willow Beach stay approximately mid channel and you will be fine. Don't hug the shoreline. The water, as mentioned, is super clear and will appear shallower than it actually is. There is one section that is about 3 miles south of the dam that has this turbulent look with large swirling eddys. Your instinct will be to avoid this, but in actuality it is a deep (60') hole all the water is plunging into from a shallow shoal section to the right (as going up river). Go through this deep section. The boat will wiggle around under you as you plow through.

The last mile or so will 'appear' to be spooky shallow. Looks like 2 or 3 ft deep but is closer to 6-10 feet deep. I didn't trust my depth gauge until I tried to touch the bottom with an oar and couldn't. This is the only section of the river I would hedge right of channel centerline as going up river. The last shoal on the on the left starts just a few feet south of the floating barriers by the dam and ends about 100 yards later. At high water you may see little plants poking up. Low water the shoal is exposed.

The spring water shown in previous pictures is HOT. Don't plunge in without doing the toe test.

LC925

Reaction score
Nice so you will be there for sure?

Hell yeah, sure will. Looking forward to getting eyes on the personal touches you’ve done to your float and meeting some of the group. Plus, when else will I be close enough to drop my boat off in your garage with a list of upgrades for you to add your touches on 😂 .... I’ll subscribe to the thread 😆 k thanks!