WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Norman - North Carolina Bound In A Week!

Duffster

Reaction score
Done deal getting out of California next week and headed to North Carolina for good. Below are some drone shots of Lake Norman that’s in my backyard. :)

D7069F30-2194-42E3-A83C-B3B865C9033A.jpeg
3F821FA3-3081-4A7A-98A5-49FC8839529D.jpeg
6B7E0F14-0FC7-48AD-9193-FDC5B555D044.jpeg
5767E291-D913-4055-A83D-B6EB63E0B59C.jpeg
CEF76F7C-328D-4005-9F2F-2B26BE9C7698.jpeg
7FE18B4F-C291-44C4-9DF5-7017DD1BFAAD.jpeg
BC54ECA4-173C-4754-B76A-74DD333AA572.jpeg
C67C5A23-D1FB-4715-8887-10F9F68872B2.jpeg
51B09C00-254B-44E8-8CE5-AE208EE70AEB.jpeg
B940851C-F6E8-4311-99F5-EE5D4D1055D5.jpeg
F32BCFD2-8B2B-4319-BFD3-BED9C0AFADC6.jpeg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Awesome! We visited a friend in Cornelius, NC. He lives waterfront on Lake Norman. Pretty sweet setup, some amazing houses out there. Good luck!

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats! I moved from CA to Mooresville almost 5 years ago...haven’t even felt the need to go back and visit. I do miss Mead, Havasu, and Mojave...but Norman is in your backyard and Lake Lanier, and Cumberland are pretty close.

4czn10

Reaction score
Welcome to the Carolina's Duffster! we moved from Cali also and moved to Lake Hartwell in Anderson SC. love the fact that you have 1000 miles of shoreline and can party with great people, then boat 15-20 min and find your own private little cove to enjoy if that's what you want to do...Also, nothing like coming home from a day at work, let the lift down, and go for a evening cruise! Enjoy!!

RodnJen

Reaction score
Would like to see that part of the country soon.

Duffster

Reaction score
Yes we could not be happier with making this move. My new house is not right on the water but can still walk from the back of the yard through the trees down to the water. The launch ramp just down the street.

j21black

Reaction score
I lived there from 08 to 16. We loved it, and miss some of the things there......

We do not however miss the traffic on 150 or 77.

Was about a 15 mile haul to the ramp with my boat there. Sometimes would take over an hour to get there. Today we have about the same haul to the ramp on our "home" lake, but I do it in less than 20 minutes.

We are a lot happier out in the boonies! :D

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Welcome to the Carolina's Duffster! we moved from Cali also and moved to Lake Hartwell in Anderson SC. love the fact that you have 1000 miles of shoreline and can party with great people, then boat 15-20 min and find your own private little cove to enjoy if that's what you want to do...Also, nothing like coming home from a day at work, let the lift down, and go for a evening cruise! Enjoy!!
When we lived on the north side of Atlanta, we'd hit Hartwell several times each season. Great lake with lots of privacy. Growing area but it will be years before it gets crowded. We put in at I85 on the GA/SC border. Never a wait of any sort. We headed up river a couple where you could see the Auburn stadium

We kept the boat at Lanier and spent lots of time enjoying all it had to offer. The craziness of Cocktail Cove to small private coves up lake, Lanier is fantastic

Duffster

Reaction score
I lived there from 08 to 16. We loved it, and miss some of the things there......

We do not however miss the traffic on 150 or 77.

Was about a 15 mile haul to the ramp with my boat there. Sometimes would take over an hour to get there. Today we have about the same haul to the ramp on our "home" lake, but I do it in less than 20 minutes.

We are a lot happier out in the boonies! :D

The 77 is getting some much needed carpool lanes to make life a little better. But that highway is a walk in the park compared to the 15 and 91 around here during commute times.

j21black

Reaction score
The 77 is getting some much needed carpool lanes to make life a little better. But that highway is a walk in the park compared to the 15 and 91 around here during commute times.

Yes, they started that project just before we left. Far inside lane was to be a toll lane where they were saying traffic would always be 55 mph + and it could cost you $40 to drive from Charlotte to Mooresville in peak hours. I know there were a lot of people/groups pitching a bitch about it so it may have changed.

If i took 77 to work in the morning it could be a 15 minute drive or an hour drive. Never knew what you were going to get. On the way home it was almost always an hour +

Backroads was 30 minutes each way everyday. I drove the backroads 95% of the time.

j21black

Reaction score
Very affordable and I think everyone is a lot more respectful.

True story - Very nice and affordable for what you get.

My Sub there was annex'd by the city because DEI wanted city water and this is how they came up with the funding to get it to them. If my house would have been 40 yards east I would have been in the county with cheaper prop taxes. Our prop tax ran about $4500/year which probably doesn't seem like a lot to some of you west coast guys. County taxes would have probably only been $700ish or so.

My property taxes now on 10 acres and a 400K valuation are < $600/year

beerrun

Reaction score
Now you an go boating with the NASCAR drivers during the week

MOUZER

Reaction score
suppose to keep the carolinas a secret...........will be there next year on a lake front home with dock,,,,but i will have a noisy ass flatty.........lived in cali 59 yrs....son moved there and likes it same weather we have just summer humidity and big big bugs........

milkmoney

Reaction score
Congrats. Looks nice. [emoji39][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I was out on Lake Norman today. You’re going to love it.

We’ve been here two years now and no regrets. So much so that we are now selling our havasu house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score

We’ve been here two years now and no regrets. So much so that we are now selling our havasu house.

With all those long winding narrow arms surrounded by slips, don't the wake boats tear up the slips and beat the boats ? Or are most of those no-wake zones ?
Beautiful country that's for sure !!

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
With all those long winding narrow arms surrounded by slips, don't the wake boats tear up the slips and beat the boats ? Or are most of those no-wake zones ?
Beautiful country that's for sure !!

There are always assholes that get too close to the docks but lots of wide open places if you want to surf.

Taboma

Reaction score
There are always assholes that get too close to the docks but lots of wide open places if you want to surf.

OK so there're assholes in NC too ---- check :p that's certainly an interesting lake :) Beautiful country as well !!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

WHAT!!! :eek: :mad: :D

youre-dead-to-me.jpg

Old Texan

Reaction score
OK so there're assholes in NC too ---- check :p that's certainly an interesting lake :) Beautiful country as well !!
There's also rednecks with shotguns that will put one across the bow.....:eek::D

And many of those lakes are deep and filled with striper:p

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
We have thought a lot about NC and Lake Norman. My son is stationed at Camp Lejeune.

My biggest worry is Charlotte. It seams to be slowly turning to a blue run state. I have vowed to never again live in a blue state.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Look out for water snakes!! Kiss good Mexican food goodbye, there worse then havasu. Still a nice place, a lot of people love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4czn10

Reaction score
We have thought a lot about NC and Lake Norman. My son is stationed at Camp Lejeune.

My biggest worry is Charlotte. It seams to be slowly turning to a blue run state. I have vowed to never again live in a blue state.
Charlotte is a beautiful city, but i do agree, N.C. seems to be turning blue...still nowhere near Cali. We hopefully don't need to worry about it here in SC...were more "red" neck here!

4czn10

Reaction score
suppose to keep the carolinas a secret...........will be there next year on a lake front home with dock,,,,but i will have a noisy ass flatty.........lived in cali 59 yrs....son moved there and likes it same weather we have just summer humidity and big big bugs........
There's plenty of room, just keep the Cali politics on the left coast! it's a different lifestyle...meaning people are more respectful here, you actually know and talk to your neighbor, and yes you have to deal with humidity 4 months out of the year, but a small price to pay to be able to have a lake with 1000 miles of shoreline as your backyard!

j21black

Reaction score

Honestly in 5 years or so of boating on the Lake, I don't recall any wakeboard boats causing an issue or surfing in congested waters. Most of the time if I saw them in was in a cove North of 150 and off to the right behind one of the dry rack storage places. Can't remember what its called. Also would see them in the Cove where Vinnie's was. Think Vinnie's got renamed or maybe Vinnies is the new name. I can't recall.

The thing I always saw that pissed me of the most was when somebody would tow their kids across the channel on a tube opposite of boat traffic on holiday weekends. It never failed, always happened.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
After spending time in nashville this is another place we want to check out. We will be out there next year.

Taboma

Reaction score
Honestly in 5 years or so of boating on the Lake, I don't recall any wakeboard boats causing an issue or surfing in congested waters. Most of the time if I saw them in was in a cove North of 150 and off to the right behind one of the dry rack storage places. Can't remember what its called. Also would see them in the Cove where Vinnie's was. Think Vinnie's got renamed or maybe Vinnies is the new name. I can't recall.

The thing I always saw that pissed me of the most was when somebody would tow their kids across the channel on a tube opposite of boat traffic on holiday weekends. It never failed, always happened.

Hell they do that at Havasu round and round in the area adjacent to and out in front of Site Six with boat traffic screaming past in both directions -- "No worries Ma, we've got the right-of-way" :eek::eek:

j21black

Reaction score

Hell they do that at Havasu round and round in the area adjacent to and out in front of Site Six with boat traffic screaming past in both directions -- "No worries Ma, we've got the right-of-way" :eek::eek:

I've towed my kids from one end of the lake to the other, but it was on a weekday and only a handful of boats total on the entire lake. I just don't get how people reason that it's "safe" towing their kids in a mess of 50-60 boats. Some idling, some going 50+ it's insane.

Old Texan

Reaction score
As opposed to Havasu, where we have both stripers and strippers :D
Ahhhh, you need to visit a raft up on SE lakes. Norman draws plenty of hotties chasing Nascar diver boaters.

Cocktail Cove on Atlanta's Lake Lanier has houseboats full of 'em. The legendary house boat Abyss is a weekend long party throughout the season with provocative sights that are awesome.:D

attachment.php

9062318686_223241d8c8.jpg

Duffster

Reaction score
Look out for water snakes!! Kiss good Mexican food goodbye, there worse then havasu. Still a nice place, a lot of people love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But on the plus side $2 a gallon gas and a 3100sqft 6-room house with a 1000sqft garage on 1-acre of land 100-yards From the lake shore for under $300k with low taxes. I can totally deal with the crappy Mexican restaurant deal just saying.

Taboma

Reaction score
Ahhhh, you need to visit a raft up on SE lakes. Norman draws plenty of hotties chasing Nascar diver boaters.

Cocktail Cove on Atlanta's Lake Lanier has houseboats full of 'em. The legendary house boat Abyss is a weekend long party throughout the season with provocative sights that are awesome.:D

Awesome ?? Recently there was a thread on here about what we enjoyed about boating, I'm sure many on here would flock to such a boating rodeo such as this.
But honestly, even 40 years ago, what you posted is the antithesis of my idea of boating fun. :eek: The only reason I'd be interested in knowing it's location, would be to to stay as far away as possible. In all our years at Havasu, I've successfully avoided any and all similar holiday debauchery at the Channel (Haven't even cruised through in over 20 years), Copper Canyon (Back when) and the upper river Sandbar. I'm one of those oddities who doesn't find drunk-ass, puking gals as being the least bit sexy and I'd much rather avoid the chest pounding apes who do.
On the other hand, I truly enjoy watching a pair of bonding Grebes :) And NO, I'm not fuckin gay :D
Grebes.jpg

MOUZER

Reaction score
But on the plus side $2 a gallon gas and a 3100sqft 6-room house with a 1000sqft garage on 1-acre of land 100-yards From the lake shore for under $300k with low taxes. I can totally deal with the crappy Mexican restaurant deal just saying.

no no no he must of left out a zero..houses on the lake are millions of dollars.....dont forget about the 15 ft alligaters that love wake boarders when u fall off......and gas will hit a record high there of $5 a gallon...........where just going there to be by are son otherwise u wouldnt catch me there..did i mention the huge masquitos can suck a quart of blood out of u and riddle u with diseases.......

Duffster

Reaction score
no no no he must of left out a zero..houses on the lake are millions of dollars.....dont forget about the 15 ft alligaters that love wake boarders when u fall off......and gas will hit a record high there of $5 a gallon...........where just going there to be by are son otherwise u wouldnt catch me there..did i mention the huge masquitos can suck a quart of blood out of u and riddle u with diseases.......

:)

Old Texan

Reaction score
Awesome ?? Recently there was a thread on here about what we enjoyed about boating, I'm sure many on here would flock to such a boating rodeo such as this.
But honestly, even 40 years ago, what you posted is the antithesis of my idea of boating fun. :eek: The only reason I'd be interested in knowing it's location, would be to to stay as far away as possible. In all our years at Havasu, I've successfully avoided any and all similar holiday debauchery at the Channel (Haven't even cruised through in over 20 years), Copper Canyon (Back when) and the upper river Sandbar. I'm one of those oddities who doesn't find drunk-ass, puking gals as being the least bit sexy and I'd much rather avoid the chest pounding apes who do.
On the other hand, I truly enjoy watching a pair of bonding Grebes :) And NO, I'm not fuckin gay :D
View attachment 746110
You'd have to be there to understand it I suppose. Lanier has it's wild holidays but the pics I posted aren't a bunch of drunks puking overboard. They are young adults having good fun. Some of the most courteous and safe boat operators as a group is what that lake is all about. From what I've read about Havasu, as I've never been there, it's far different than Lanier, Norman, and other high volume SE lakes without the super crazy.

We for the most part would hang at Cocktail Cove and then find a private cove to chill out. The cove had plenty raft ups and houseboats, but it wasrare to see any super drunks making asses of themselves. What was fun was to see the rafter ups, often wake and ski boats of kids, grading golf swings on the course that had holes on 2 sides of the cove.

Maybe you need to venture out a bit and see how other parts of the country have fun with manners. Now that being said, Havasu can't be as bad as some of the real drunkfests at Put In Bay on Lake Erie SW of Cleaveland or the crazy spot I can't remember the name of on Lake St Clair near Detroit. Those are where the serious obnoxious drunks operate. Or Devils Cove across from Carlos and Charlies on Lake Travis north of Austin. Real power drinking idiots around there......To each their own. Have fun.;):D

Duffster

Reaction score
You'd have to be there to understand it I suppose. Lanier has it's wild holidays but the pics I posted aren't a bunch of drunks puking overboard. They are young adults having good fun. Some of the most courteous and safe boat operators as a group is what that lake is all about. From what I've read about Havasu, as I've never been there, it's far different than Lanier, Norman, and other high volume SE lakes without the super crazy.

We for the most part would hang at Cocktail Cove and then find a private cove to chill out. The cove had plenty raft ups and houseboats, but it wasrare to see any super drunks making asses of themselves. What was fun was to see the rafter ups, often wake and ski boats of kids, grading golf swings on the course that had holes on 2 sides of the cove.

Maybe you need to venture out a bit and see how other parts of the country have fun with manners. Now that being said, Havasu can't be as bad as some of the real drunkfests at Put In Bay on Lake Erie SW of Cleaveland or the crazy spot I can't remember the name of on Lake St Clair near Detroit. Those are where the serious obnoxious drunks operate. Or Devils Cove across from Carlos and Charlies on Lake Travis north of Austin. Real power drinking idiots around there......To each their own. Have fun.;):D

Growing up going Havasu and Parker strip both can be a major shit fest/fuck fest on a big holiday weekend with tons of assholes and drunks with no regard. Thinking back I remember as a kid getting pissed at my parents taking us to Foxes because they wanted to go to the bar and we couldn’t swim due to the water current. :)

But I think it’s kind of mellowed out from say the one Hot Boat Sandbar days I think due to the economy and the abundance of the bullshit safety checkpoints all over the lake and rivers. Being older and smarter these days my boating consists of just getting out relaxing maybe having a beer or two and staying far away from the drama and noisy assholes. So I don’t think Lake Norman will be a problem with lots shore line and areas to go. To be honest I was kind of burnt out on Havasu it will be fun learning a new lake that’s kind of spread out like Lake Powell.

j21black

Reaction score
That’s on our short list for retirement.. couple years though.

Look at Lake Martin.

We love Martin. We loved Norman to, but Martin is not near as busy as Mooresville.

If you want busy Atlanta is just a 45 minute drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Look at Lake Martin.

We love Martin. We loved Norman to, but Martin is not near as busy as Mooresville.

If you want busy Atlanta is just a 45 minute drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

146 miles in 45 minutes ? That's bookin it !! :eek: :p
Looks like an interesting lake with few homes on the water. The google aerial images are certainly odd. They must have been taken at different seasons, with the west half of the lake appearing to have good water level, but the east side with most all the docks sitting on dirt :eek:
With Lake Martin so much further south, is it hotter and more humid ? I've never been to any of the more eastern lakes, so I'm reading all this with great interest.