WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Norman - North Carolina Bound In A Week!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
146 miles in 45 minutes ? That's bookin it !! :eek: :p
Looks like an interesting lake with few homes on the water. The google aerial images are certainly odd. They must have been taken at different seasons, with the west half of the lake appearing to have good water level, but the east side with most all the docks sitting on dirt :eek:
With Lake Martin so much further south, is it hotter and more humid ? I've never been to any of the more eastern lakes, so I'm reading all this with great interest.
Martin like many lakes regulated by power companies and the Army Corps of Eng. bring levels down in the winter months to prepare for spring rains. Martin has been able to maintain higher levels the last couple years and this allows residents to have more year round abilities to use the lake.

Martin is similar to Lake Alatoona just north of Atlanta on I75, most of the cold months they are like mud holes, but in spring and summer, full and picturesque

This isn't the deal with all lakes and should be a consideration when buying for the year round recreation values.

The lakes in these areas that are north of what is more true south, are effected by the seasons more than many realize. We spent time on Lanier year around but the later fall and winter months often were too windy to really do anything but fish. Lanier levels are maintained year around, except when a drought effects it, but it's really rough in the windy seasons. Another cool thbing about Lanier is it's fed primarily by the Chatahhochee river which flows from the gold fields of north GA and decent size nuggets have been found on it's shores. Many folks make a living panning and sluicing gold in the river's upper tributaries.

As far as Martin being a bit farther south, you have to factor in the elevation. AL slopes from north to south and martin is still on higher plateau area that effects weather and this water temps. Lanier and Norman are similar as they are both on plateaus going from the Appalachians towards the ocean. All 3 lakes are subject to fall, winter, and spring weather which can be very wet from the mountain effects.

There a many smaller lakes that are beautiful like Lakes Rabun and Burton in north GA and Lake Keowee near Clemson, SC. Property tends to be somewhat higher priced on the water, due to being developed, but all are laid back cruising lakes.

GA, SC, and NC plus TN and AL have some wonderful fresh water lakes of all sizes

Taboma

Reaction score
Martin like many lakes regulated by power companies and the Army Corps of Eng. bring levels down in the winter months to prepare for spring rains. Martin has been able to maintain higher levels the last couple years and this allows residents to have more year round abilities to use the lake.

Martin is similar to Lake Alatoona just north of Atlanta on I75, most of the cold months they are like mud holes, but in spring and summer, full and picturesque

This isn't the deal with all lakes and should be a consideration when buying for the year round recreation values.

The lakes in these areas that are north of what is more true south, are effected by the seasons more than many realize. We spent time on Lanier year around but the later fall and winter months often were too windy to really do anything but fish. Lanier levels are maintained year around, except when a drought effects it, but it's really rough in the windy seasons. Another cool thbing about Lanier is it's fed primarily by the Chatahhochee river which flows from the gold fields of north GA and decent size nuggets have been found on it's shores. Many folks make a living panning and sluicing gold in the river's upper tributaries.

As far as Martin being a bit farther south, you have to factor in the elevation. AL slopes from north to south and martin is still on higher plateau area that effects weather and this water temps. Lanier and Norman are similar as they are both on plateaus going from the Appalachians towards the ocean. All 3 lakes are subject to fall, winter, and spring weather which can be very wet from the mountain effects.

There a many smaller lakes that are beautiful like Lakes Rabun and Burton in north GA and Lake Keowee near Clemson, SC. Property tends to be somewhat higher priced on the water, due to being developed, but all are laid back cruising lakes.

GA, SC, and NC plus TN and AL have some wonderful fresh water lakes of all sizes

Thanks, appreciate the detailed information --- Once my wife joins me in retirement, Plan A is to venture forth and explore new lakes :)

Old Texan

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the detailed information --- Once my wife joins me in retirement, Plan A is to venture forth and explore new lakes :)
Rabun, Burton especially, and Keowee are worth a look. Burton has homes on hillsides with boat houses across the street on the lake. You would love that type of laid back setting. Limited access with only public ramp at the state park. They have a wood boat community that's pretty. I suggest it's one you research and visit if you can. And y'all will love the GA/SC mountain country. Helen, Dahlonaga, Tauloulah(sp) Gorge, are beautiful laid back places.;)

They're all about an hour and a half from Atlanta and less from Greenville, SC, which is a great "big/small" city.......

j21black

Reaction score
146 miles in 45 minutes ? That's bookin it !! :eek: :p
Looks like an interesting lake with few homes on the water. The google aerial images are certainly odd. They must have been taken at different seasons, with the west half of the lake appearing to have good water level, but the east side with most all the docks sitting on dirt :eek:
With Lake Martin so much further south, is it hotter and more humid ? I've never been to any of the more eastern lakes, so I'm reading all this with great interest.

Yeah - We call it 2 hours from Montgomery - Auburn is basically Lake Martin and we consider that the halfway point. I guess it's not! I was wrong.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah - We call it 2 hours from Montgomery - Auburn is basically Lake Martin and we consider that the halfway point. I guess it's not! I was wrong.

I haven't a real life clue, just noticed on the map it appeared to be a bit further than what I could cover in 45 minutes --- in any of my cars :rolleyes::D
There's sure a lot of large beautiful lakes east of the Mississippi !!

Taboma

Reaction score
Rabun, Burton especially, and Keowee are worth a look. Burton has homes on hillsides with boat houses across the street on the lake. You would love that type of laid back setting. Limited access with only public ramp at the state park. They have a wood boat community that's pretty. I suggest it's one you research and visit if you can. And y'all will love the GA/SC mountain country. Helen, Dahlonaga, Tauloulah(sp) Gorge, are beautiful laid back places.;)

They're all about an hour and a half from Atlanta and less from Greenville, SC, which is a great "big/small" city.......

Checking out those lakes on Google Maps, I just realized they're all within shouting distance of Toccoa, where my best friend's widow moved to after he passed and she sold their Georgia farm. I know they'd been checking out places there and seemed to really like the area.

Taboma

Reaction score
Holy shit Ole Texan --- Who da fuck lives on Lake Burton ?? :eek::eek: Average lake home is over a $ mil, many listed for over $ 4 Mil, to $ 8 Mil ---- SHIT :confused::confused:
Is this place like the secret hide out for the world's rich and famous ? And I'm guessing these are vacation homes, wow.
Lake Burton.jpg
Lake Burton-2.jpg

j21black

Reaction score
A couple pics on Martin.

I didn’t have any good pics on my phone.

Water is clear, just like LKN but overall it is a lot deeper.

Deepest spot on LKN is around 120’ by the damn and probably 30-50’ on average the rest of the lake.

Martin is probably closer to 100’ on average. Out in front of the Rock it’s over 200’ in spots.

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XClutchboy725

Reaction score
It is my understanding that Rusty Wallace and Mark and Linda Thompson (of Mark and Brian KLOS) are currently next door neighbors on Lake Norman.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Bern on lake murray in South Carolina and loved it.... lake norman looks nice a long with the other lakes...makes a guy want to go boating or move there....

I like the trees and beaches with clean water , all in one ......[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

j21black

Reaction score

What's the deal with Hartwell on the GA/SC state line - I haven't been through there in a little over a year, but used to make that trek between Charlotte and Atlanta several times a year. It always looked low. I don't think I ever saw it at full pool. I always wanted to go boat there but never made it.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Holy shit Ole Texan --- Who da fuck lives on Lake Burton ?? :eek::eek: Average lake home is over a $ mil, many listed for over $ 4 Mil, to $ 8 Mil ---- SHIT :confused::confused:
Is this place like the secret hide out for the world's rich and famous ? And I'm guessing these are vacation homes, wow.
View attachment 746374 View attachment 746375
I knew it was not cheap, but didn't realize it had gotten that crazy. It's been 12 years since we left and looks like the properties have been growing in value and I'd bet some smaller homes were bought and replaced. There used to be some affordable properties as my neighbor bought up there in 2002 and it was no where near what it is now......

Old Texan

Reaction score
What's the deal with Hartwell on the GA/SC state line - I haven't been through there in a little over a year, but used to make that trek between Charlotte and Atlanta several times a year. It always looked low. I don't think I ever saw it at full pool. I always wanted to go boat there but never made it.
We used to go up top Hartwell a couple times a year and the water level was always in good shape. 1 summer a drought had it down some but still navigable. The Corps may have to release more water to keep the lower end navigable as the Augusta chemical complex has barge traffic. That s an issue on several big lakes during dry periods

Hartwell is long and big. No where near enough traffic to ever feel crowded. But again, that was 12 years and there was a lot of new properties being developed.

With Atlanta and Greeneville so close, it's more than just a weekend possibility.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Bern on lake murray in South Carolina and loved it.... lake norman looks nice a long with the other lakes...makes a guy want to go boating or move there....

I like the trees and beaches with clean water , all in one ......[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

Murray is a really cool lake and Columbia is a pretty nice town.....Just stay away from the SC barbeque. They favor some kind of mustard based sauce that I never figured out how they can think it's good.:eek::D

milkmoney

Reaction score
Murray is a really cool lake and Columbia is a pretty nice town.....Just stay away from the SC barbeque. They favor some kind of mustard based sauce that I never figured out how they can think it's good.:eek::D
I dont do bbq..lol. [emoji39][emoji202]

Duffster

Reaction score
It is my understanding that Rusty Wallace and Mark and Linda Thompson (of Mark and Brian KLOS) are currently next door neighbors on Lake Norman.

Supercross announcer Ralph Sheheen also has a house in Mooresville on Lake Norman just down the road from my place.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I completely forgot about this.

Run from Trump National about halfway back to the ramp we use off of 150.

Lol. It looks like the child on the left gives the other child the finger around the 1:35 mark.....

I see big boats and pontoons. Does the lake get big water alot....??

j21black

Reaction score
Lol. It looks like the child on the left gives the other child the finger around the 1:35 mark.....

I see big boats and pontoons. Does the lake get big water alot....??

Sometimes - but it's not LOTO :D- Just a lot of Money on the lake there....

When we pulled out of the cove that is probably the most open part of the lake. It runs all the way to 77. Goes east to west. Probably 10-12 miles from 77 to the beach if you run the entire channnel. I'd guess its a couple miles wide. On a weekend or holiday it can get pretty choppy, especially with a hard wind from the west. It's not uncommon to see waves white capping out there. Not a big deal if you can run on top of it.

Most of the smaller boats you will catch trying to idle across that stuff. Honestly I wouldn't want to be out there on that part of the lake when it's kicked up on anything under 23'. The rest of the lake is somewhat protected from the wind and usually doesn't kick up quite as bad.

All in all it's a fairly calm body of water.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Sometimes - but it's not LOTO :D- Just a lot of Money on the lake there....

When we pulled out of the cove that is probably the most open part of the lake. It runs all the way to 77. Goes east to west. Probably 10-12 miles from 77 to the beach if you run the entire channnel. I'd guess its a couple miles wide. On a weekend or holiday it can get pretty choppy, especially with a hard wind from the west. It's not uncommon to see waves white capping out there. Not a big deal if you can run on top of it.

Most of the smaller boats you will catch trying to idle across that stuff. Honestly I wouldn't want to be out there on that part of the lake when it's kicked up on anything under 23'. The rest of the lake is somewhat protected from the wind and usually doesn't kick up quite as bad.

All in all it's a fairly calm body of water.
Thanks for the info. Sounds normal for typical lakes. It looks really nice there...

Is the water clean/ clear???

j21black

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds normal for typical lakes. It looks really nice there...

Is the water clean/ clear???

Crystal Clear when you get 50' off the shore, it gets a little murky north of 150 bridge, and can cloud up a bit after a big rain......My wife took a glass bottle wine cooler out there once, I filled it up with water to show how
clear it was....Pic below.

Here are a few pics from the lake. I believe someone posted the plane earlier. Kurt Busch was at Vinnie's - Monday night's were all you can eat crab legs. He pulled up in a ski boat with a couple chicks - Neither were hot - The day before him and Jimmy Johnson had got in it at Pocono. He was walking through the outdoor seating and I yelled "Hey Kurt, you should have whooped his ass yesterday" He came and sit down with us and drank beer for a couple hours. Actually was a pretty cool guy....I usually leave them alone when I see them, but I felt compelled to tell him that as I dislike Jimmie.

Also a picture of Danica in here next to us at dinner - I probably saw her more than anyone - I believe she lived in a house on Earnhardt property that my house backed up to for a time. Junior lived there before he left DEI for Hendricks. I saw her a couple times a week at the grocery store. Woods Bros was in the woods next to Earnhardt Property. Kind of neat to hear a Nascar engine fire in the middle of the day.
w.jpg
2174.JPG
2178.JPG
2200.JPG
2212.JPG
2217.JPG
2219.JPG
2296.JPG
2544.JPG
3246.JPG
3446.JPG
3447.JPG
3448.JPG
3536.JPG
3565.JPG
4408.JPG
4207.JPG
3545.JPG
2799.JPG
3731.JPG

milkmoney

Reaction score
Crystal Clear when you get 50' off the shore, it gets a little murky north of 150 bridge, and can cloud up a bit after a big rain......My wife took a glass bottle wine cooler out there once, I filled it up with water to show how
clear it was....Pic below.

Here are a few pics from the lake. I believe someone posted the plane earlier. Kurt Busch was at Vinnie's - Monday night's were all you can eat crab legs. He pulled up in a ski boat with a couple chicks - Neither were hot - The day before him and Jimmy Johnson had got in it at Pocono. He was walking through the outdoor seating and I yelled "Hey Kurt, you should have whooped his ass yesterday" He came and sit down with us and drank beer for a couple hours. Actually was a pretty cool guy....I usually leave them alone when I see them, but I felt compelled to tell him that as I dislike Jimmie.

Also a picture of Danica in here next to us at dinner - I probably saw her more than anyone - I believe she lived in a house on Earnhardt property that my house backed up to for a time. Junior lived there before he left DEI for Hendricks. I saw her a couple times a week at the grocery store. Woods Bros was in the woods next to Earnhardt Property. Kind of neat to hear a Nascar engine fire in the middle of the day.
View attachment 746436 View attachment 746437 View attachment 746438 View attachment 746439 View attachment 746440 View attachment 746441 View attachment 746442 View attachment 746443 View attachment 746444 View attachment 746445 View attachment 746446 View attachment 746447 View attachment 746448 View attachment 746449 View attachment 746450 View attachment 746451 View attachment 746452 View attachment 746453 View attachment 746454 View attachment 746455
Very nice. Beautiful lake. Makes me want to return to the area. I love parker but I think the desert is ugly .....no trees and no green. [emoji39]

I am not into nascar , so that " hype " does nothing for me ....

Thanks for sharing ...[emoji106][emoji202][emoji41]

Old Texan

Reaction score
Very nice. Beautiful lake. Makes me want to return to the area. I love parker but I think the desert is ugly .....no trees and no green. [emoji39]

I am not into nascar , so that " hype " does nothing for me ....

Thanks for sharing ...[emoji106][emoji202][emoji41]

Nascar is just there and always present. It ain't like having to follow it. The industry supports a lot of lower circuits which means a lot of folks are into it and make a living from it. But it isn't the only game in town by any means.:D

I have been to a number of TX lakes without trees and though great lakes, there is nothing like the forested high banks of the lakes that were formed in hilly wooded terrain and the SE lakes are all mostly that way. TX has both types and that makes this a great state also for freshwater boating. The real cool ones are the east TX lakes that have gators to keep ya company.......:eek:;)

Milky I am a bit concerned about your lack of appetite for BBQ and Nascar.......You really a country boy? Or just some city slicker that got stuck on a stool under a milk cow??????:eek::eek:o_O

milkmoney

Reaction score
Nascar is just there and always present. It ain't like having to follow it. The industry supports a lot of lower circuits which means a lot of folks are into it and make a living from it. But it isn't the only game in town by any means.:D

I have been to a number of TX lakes without trees and though great lakes, there is nothing like the forested high banks of the lakes that were formed in hilly wooded terrain and the SE lakes are all mostly that way. TX has both types and that makes this a great state also for freshwater boating. The real cool ones are the east TX lakes that have gators to keep ya company.......:eek:;)

Milky I am a bit concerned about your lack of appetite for BBQ and Nascar.......You really a country boy? Or just some city slicker that got stuck on a stool under a milk cow??????:eek::eek:o_O

Yes there are beautiful lakes/rivers all over. I just love the green trees and surrounding.

I am country first and last ... I am not a hater of nascar , it just doesnt do anything for me ...people make their living off of it . More power to them.

As far as bbq , it's just that I am a very picky eater with a weak stomach.

I was country when country wasnt cool .

[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Lake Norman is closed. Especially for Milkmoney [emoji1589]

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Lake Norman is closed. Especially for Milkmoney [emoji1589]

Havasu is closed for you YoTradeo. But I still have your gate combo and we will be using your pool this weekend. :p

milkmoney

Reaction score
Havasu is closed for you YoTradeo. But I still have your gate combo and we will be using your pool this weekend. :p
I agree with bobby v for once lol [emoji106][emoji202]

4czn10

Reaction score
Hartwell is a Corp of Engineer Lake so it does fluctuate, but the last 2 summers have been full, and this summer is starting out full. There are some restaurants on the lake to visit, and it's great during Football season...we cruz up to Clemson stadium or clemson Marina and enjoy the game...coming from Cali. living on the lake is a lot of fun...

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
When we lived on the north side of Atlanta, we'd hit Hartwell several times each season. Great lake with lots of privacy. Growing area but it will be years before it gets crowded. We put in at I85 on the GA/SC border. Never a wait of any sort. We headed up river a couple where you could see the Auburn stadium

We kept the boat at Lanier and spent lots of time enjoying all it had to offer. The craziness of Cocktail Cove to small private coves up lake, Lanier is fantastic
I keep my boat at Lanier now. Gonna hit Lake Hartwell, Lake Murray, and Lake Keowee this summer. Can’t wait!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ok I want to come visit lake Norman. who has a bed and boat ride for me. I will be glad to pay and them some ....[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Hartwell is a hidden gem if you ask me. It’s far enough away from Atlanta and Greenville that property is fairly cheap. It’s bigger than Lanier and much quieter. We did the poker run there a few years ago, even with all those boats on the lake, it wasn’t rough at all. Here’s a picture from a Hartwell on a weekday morning. Love it. Water level fluctuates, but is usually nearly full during the summer. Remember, summer is the “wet” season in the south.
5CCB7579-2B00-4403-B73A-FA1970CB63D7.jpeg

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Ok I want to come visit lake Norman. who has a bed and boat ride for me. I will be glad to pay and them some ....[emoji41][emoji106][emoji202]

You’re welcome anytime and you have my number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

milkmoney

Reaction score
You’re welcome anytime and you have my number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You gave me the finger and said it was closed. Lol....

j21black

Reaction score

I still have a key to my old house. I could send you one. Just walk in like you own the place.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Just got back from a week at a lake Murray. Loved it! Really quiet, good sized lake that’s not overly developed. I liked that the terrain around the lake isn’t as steep as others in the area, houses have better views, easy walk to the dock. This was our view for the week.

E780E0C7-598F-4188-9B98-3B79CADA02D2.jpeg

Duffster

Reaction score
Just got back from a week at a lake Murray. Loved it! Really quiet, good sized lake that’s not overly developed. I liked that the terrain around the lake isn’t as steep as others in the area, houses have better views, easy walk to the dock. This was our view for the week.

View attachment 774178

That lake is south of me yes good size about the same as lake Norman

j21black

Reaction score

If you decide to go there, make a couple days for Lake Martin to......I'll run you around it - It's about twice the size of Norman, and I actually like it a little better.....

You will have to ride in a poor man's speedboat though, so be prepared.

milkmoney

Reaction score
If you decide to go there, make a couple days for Lake Martin to......I'll run you around it - It's about twice the size of Norman, and I actually like it a little better.....

You will have to ride in a poor man's speedboat though, so be prepared.

Ha ha , poor man's speed boat.
Cool

Duffster

Reaction score
Lots of tampoons and roll-bar boats with a few Weekend at Bernie’s kind of east coast production shit on Lake Norman. Funny they see my older Essex with AZ tags and it’s like back to the future out here. :)