WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Pend Oreille and Flathead Lake

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I didn't want to thread jack Waterjunky's Idaho/Montana trip thread. So I'm starting my own.

I could use a little help to prep for boating Pend Oreille and Flathead at the end of July. We'll have a 29 Laveycraft.

1) Where to launch? Can I use Eagle Bend Yacht Harbor on Flathead or do I need to find a reasonable public ramp? I have no idea where to launch on Pend Oreille.
2) Any navigational issues? It looks like both lakes are pretty deep for the most part but Flathead seems to be shallow on the north shore and river delta (only way to and from Eagle Bend).
3) Where do people hang out? It doesn't look like any beaches. Any coves where people anchor?
4) Is it worth boating Whitefish? Anywhere to hang out on the lake?

Any input would be helpful.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't have any answers, but please post pics when you go. I've always loved it up there, but my wife thought it was too cold and too far 😢

JFMFG

Reaction score
I didn't want to thread jack Waterjunky's Idaho/Montana trip thread. So I'm starting my own.

I could use a little help to prep for boating Pend Oreille and Flathead at the end of July. We'll have a 29 Laveycraft.

1) Where to launch? Can I use Eagle Bend Yacht Harbor on Flathead or do I need to find a reasonable public ramp? I have no idea where to launch on Pend Oreille.
2) Any navigational issues? It looks like both lakes are pretty deep for the most part but Flathead seems to be shallow on the north shore and river delta (only way to and from Eagle Bend).
3) Where do people hang out? It doesn't look like any beaches. Any coves where people anchor?
4) Is it worth boating Whitefish? Anywhere to hang out on the lake?

Any input would be helpful.
Paging hplifestlyes and Goshen82

2Driver

Reaction score
I'm sure there are more in the know about LPO than me but we had a great time. Launched in Dover bay Marina in a rental at Dover Bay resort just minutes from Sandpoint.

We went down river from there and tooled around its pretty scenic and not as wide open, more river like, lots of nice water front homes. We found a beautiful cove to stop in and swim (cold) between Dover and Sandpoint and watched bald eagles come and go. It was blowing later in the day, so it was a good place to hang out.

You can grab lunch and pull into Sandpoint Marina, if not at least cruise into the Marina to the back and check it out. If you are lucky the train will go over while you are under the bridge. We rode over to Bottle Bay and had lunch at a small restaurant called loft and ladle on the water with comp slips.

All pretty laid back, there is a speed limit and some other rules about wakes near shore. The lake is well marked, super clear and 1100' deep in places.
IMG_6167.jpg
IMG_6250.jpg
IMG_6257.jpg
IMG_6284.jpg

Last edited:

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
IMG_9785.jpg

F0BB92E1-3444-44AF-8181-3C012C55C87A.jpg

In-laws have a house on Whitefish. We go every year for two weeks. It’s nice to be able to walk down to the dock and boat. Mostly toons and wake boats. No real beaches to pull up to and hang out. We anchor in a small cove and hangout or just take a cruise and back to the dock. There is a resort at one end of the lake. You can dock there for lunch and they have an outside bar. I would rather boat Flathead as Whitefish is pretty small.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Pretty sure eagle bend is a private launch for members only, but I would call and double check.

Not sure on whitefish, I’ve only been on flat head and it is very deep towards eagle bend where the mouth of the river is. Any shallow spots are going to be marked so nothing to worry about, just pay attention. If you do boat the river (which I recommend) watch out for floating logs, lol!

There’s a few beaches not too far up the river, but the water is usually so cold we always just surf the river or float. sometimes head down for lunch at Saddlehorn in woods bay.

I wish I had more input But the Place is beautiful and I highly recommend. I usually spend a few days out there in August with a college buddy that has a beautiful home in the marina at Eagle Bend. My chick and I usually fly in on a Thursday. My friend picks us up and we drink, surf, golf and then go home Sunday.

Make sure you take a ton of photos, I never take enough.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the photos 2D- Is it me or is the air REALLY CLEAN and clear there? Looks like Tahoe with the green trees and mountains. Hopefully we make it in July (we live in Boise) but I want to go to Hallett's in Havasu too and time off from work may be an issue.
I have only heard about Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille, supposed to be stunning scenery (I think its about 8 hours from here) a bit different than Havasu and the dry desert climate (which I like)
We have Lucky Peak down here (again, Boise). Its an OK reservoir and is fairly large so it gives the wake boaters someplace to go. 15 minutes from the 84 freeway so it being so close allows us to boat even after work ( stays light here up to 9:30 at night and 100 degrees in the middle of summer)

Would like to hear about some of the local haunts and hang outs (On and off the water) at Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille. Kinda spoiled by Copper Canyon, Gasoline Alley, Pirates, Sandbar...and of course the channel. Not sure if the local folks really like doing that kind of stuff. I know there is a similar area down here called Public. ..(stupid name) at L. Peak but lots of boats chillin, music and having a good time but nothing like the Havi spots.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the photos 2D- Is it me or is the air REALLY CLEAN and clear there? Looks like Tahoe with the green trees and mountains. Hopefully we make it in July (we live in Boise) but I want to go to Hallett's in Havasu too and time off from work may be an issue.
I have only heard about Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille, supposed to be stunning scenery (I think its about 8 hours from here) a bit different than Havasu and the dry desert climate (which I like)
We have Lucky Peak down here (again, Boise). Its an OK reservoir and is fairly large so it gives the wake boaters someplace to go. 15 minutes from the 84 freeway so it being so close allows us to boat even after work ( stays light here up to 9:30 at night and 100 degrees in the middle of summer)

Would like to hear about some of the local haunts and hang outs (On and off the water) at Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille. Kinda spoiled by Copper Canyon, Gasoline Alley, Pirates, Sandbar...and of course the channel. Not sure if the local folks really like doing that kind of stuff. I know there is a similar area down here called Public. ..(stupid name) at L. Peak but lots of boats chillin, music and having a good time but nothing like the Havi spots.

I just looked up Lucky Peak Lake, might have to boat there too.

I couldn't find "Public" on a map though.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I don't know if "Public" is a real place, may be a slang name. Its in the gorge, not far from Robie Creek launch ramp. Here is a pathetic picture of the wife floating there, right in front of the bow. I attached a link of a you tube vid- its NOT mine but it is "Public" the local hang out

Attachments

• Hallett Bow.jpg
    Hallett Bow.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Hallett.jpeg
    Hallett.jpeg
    686.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

goshen82

Reaction score
My grandparents have a house on the water on lpo we go once a year for week during the summer. It’s a beautiful lake. Best place to ski is the monarchs which is right where the Clark fork river enters the lake. That whole long strip will be glass. The bay where hope is is also a great spot to ski but only during the week it gets pretty packed on the weekends. I believe it’s called Ellis port bay. There is a floating restaurant at the marina in there as well that’s pretty good. If you see a black lime on the horizon of water start heading back when the wind picks up that lake gets some massive waves. As far as rules we have never had any issues. My grandpa has a 21 Daytona and we run 80 down the lake and have never been stopped. Been pulled over in the wakeboard boat for random inspections but that’s about it

Tank

Reaction score
Just saw this. Get to Sand Point on Pend Oreille and they have a public marina and launch ramps. Although if you're coming in via the 200 from Flathead there's ramps in Hope and at trestle Creek. The lake is absolutely insanely beautiful. Probably the prettiest lake I've ever been on. There are no major navigational issues. Lakes super deep and super clear (like 30' visibility near the shore). No real "party" areas, just a lot of super beautiful scenery and open lake. It's never too busy once you get out a bit. Where are you planning on staying?

Water Romper

Reaction score
We have no idea, I will make a reservation someplace. I will know more towards the month prior if we can make it.

Tank

Reaction score
We have no idea, I will make a reservation someplace. I will know more towards the month prior if we can make it.
There's plenty of hotels in Sandpoint and the marina is decent size with a ramp. Places get booked up fast in the summer but you should be able to find something.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Just saw this. Get to Sand Point on Pend Oreille and they have a public marina and launch ramps. Although if you're coming in via the 200 from Flathead there's ramps in Hope and at trestle Creek. The lake is absolutely insanely beautiful. Probably the prettiest lake I've ever been on. There are no major navigational issues. Lakes super deep and super clear (like 30' visibility near the shore). No real "party" areas, just a lot of super beautiful scenery and open lake. It's never too busy once you get out a bit. Where are you planning on staying?

Thanks for the info.

We'll probably pull into town on Tuesday right after everyone leaves from the Fun Run. We have an Airbnb in Sandpoint with a long driveway and it's walking distance from almost everything in town.

We're likely going to go out on the lake for one full day and one half day. One day we'll go down to Willow Bay from Sandpoint. The other we'll go towards Bottle Bay and Hope.

Tank

Reaction score
That'll be great. We're still trying to put together the fun run in July. Don't know if it's gonna work out but we're trying hard.

Another option instead of the quick run over to bottle bay is to strike out to East Hope and hit the floating restaurant for lunch (about a 15 mile direct run.. Then on your way back you could anchor up at bottle bay and chill. That'd be a good day of running and chillin. Floating restaurant is pretty tasty too and there's great scenery on the way. Plus you can check out out the islands off of Hope while in the area. They're pretty cool. Dude has a Cigarette Gladiator on a hoist around the bend from Hope across from Memaloose Island.

A run to Bayview would be pretty bad ass too. Checked out the floating houses but have always wanted too. and marina. Pretty cool little place. Bit of a haul though. Probably 45 miles one way via water.

If you've never boated on Pend Orielle, you're in for a shock (in a good way). Again, one of, if not thee most beautiful lakes I've ever been on. Insane.