WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell, 2021

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Hey RDP peeps

We are heading for some fun in a few months.....

whats the skinny on quagga inspections???

I heard they frown on Cali boats... (JK)

any info would be Great!!!

Thanks

Rick

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Hey RDP peeps

Thanks

Rick
You will get stopped at scales outside st g then at powell

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
You will get stopped at scales outside st g then at powell
T.B...
any wash downs etc.
Extra papers ??
Vax report??

Its been 20 years since our last Houseboat trip on powell...
2006 last trip on Powell..

Can't WAIT!!!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
T.B...
any wash downs etc.
Extra papers ??
Vax report??

Its been 20 years since our last Houseboat trip on powell...
2006 last trip on Powell..

Can't WAIT!!!
Let some local peeps chime in, I see the st g one when I go home not sure at Powell

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Best bet is to come in from the I40 in AZ no inspections. They don't don't frown upon out of state boats not sure what they will make you do if you actually divulge that information. May want to just say the boat is coming from lake Havasu.

Anyways expect to pay a fee to get into the park and a vessel fee. Both fees can be purchased for the week or for the year. When you are done with your trip you will be subject to an inspection and they will want to see dock lines anchors and bouys ballasts drained and see strainers if you have one. The park folks don't pry to much so take that however you wish. Happy boating Maybe I'll see you there.

There is a lake Powell thread here called stateline launch ramp report I think bunch of Powell peeps chatting in there in the current situation.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no inspection to launch but you do have to display the Quaggga inspection sheet on your dash of the truck. Best bet is to take the AIS course on their website Here which is good for a year. You also have to register your boat, jetski, kayak, with Utah for $20 every year. Welcome to the new normal!

Singleton

Reaction score
There is no inspection to launch but you do have to display the Quaggga inspection sheet on your dash of the truck. Best bet is to take the AIS course on their website Here which is good for a year. You also have to register your boat, jetski, kayak, with Utah for $20 every year. Welcome to the new normal!

Utah no longer honors out of state boat registrations. That is insane

Attachments

• 14B3B82F-2AB1-4FDC-BEBC-73D94CBC8055.png
    14B3B82F-2AB1-4FDC-BEBC-73D94CBC8055.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 106

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
This is what I keep talking about. Utah requires you to pay $20 and take this class and they want you to show the paper at the launch ramp shack. And all the park people look at you like you have 5 eyes when you show the paper. Personally I would take a chance and not do it. They don't make you put a sticker on your boat or anything so rangers aren't going to stop you on the water and ask for proof. I paid last year when it went into full effect and have asked the park people why they don't ask about it and they have said they didn't even know this was a thing. So I'm not going to pay again until they actually Start enforcing this.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Also I might add Utah hasn't been super vocal about advertising this change.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Regarding the display of the sheet in your window while parked... Does the state of Utah think that it can cross into AZ and enforce this out of state requirement in Wahweep parking lots located in AZ? I can't imagine this holding up to any legal review.

I have taken the course and paid the 20 dollar fee etc.. but I drew the line at self certifying every one of our SUPs etc...

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

If any AZ state legislature types read this stuff, I wish AZ would turn right back and charge UT residents $10,000 dollars for a reciprocal AZ registration... Sort of joking here, but to your point @Singleton ... purely insane.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Regarding the display of the sheet in your window while parked... Does the state of Utah think that it can cross into AZ and enforce this out of state requirement in Wahweep parking lots located in AZ? I can't imagine this holding up to any legal review.

I have taken the course and paid the 20 dollar fee etc.. but I drew the line at paying 20 dollars for every one of our SUPs etc...
I completely agree with you. I haven't had issues and I don't put it on my dash ever. I don't think they really can enforce it with the multi agency jurisdiction on the south end but maybe up in the 100%utah ramps it's a different story.

Singleton

Reaction score
If any AZ state legislature types read this stuff, I wish AZ would turn right back and charge UT residents $10,000 dollars for a reciprocal AZ registration... Sort of joking here, but to your point @Singleton ... purely insane.

Used to be able to take your boat / off-road vehicles anywhere and use them. Now it is becoming a PIA.
I already pay $20 for each ATV, SXS that sees Arizona dirt.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Used to be able to take your boat / off-road vehicles anywhere and use them. Now it is becoming a PIA.
But at least you don't have to pay for Cali fees if you go to the dune's. When you buy your blm pass and pay your in state registrations your good to go.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Ok, ... so maybe I take it back and AZ is as bad as UT in this off road example. As an AZ resident I gave up on off-roading and registering motos/quads etc because AZ rules became so confusing 10 years ago. But in AZ's defense California won't reciprocate a fully legally registered motorcycle/sxs at all under any conditions if it doesn't meet CA maze of rules. Its all dumb... I posted while back the thick folder of documentation I carry to just try to be fully legal with my boat at Lake Powell, its insane.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have taken the course and paid the 20 dollar fee etc.. but I drew the line at self certifying every one of our SUPs etc...

My understanding is that is is being enforced by the National Park Service on behalf of Utah but I could be wrong.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
My understanding is that is is being enforced by the National Park Service on behalf of Utah but I could be wrong.

I made the mistake last year of paying the $20 and taking the course only to realize that Wahweap is in AZ and no one asked for anything when I launched at Wahweap.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Even if multi jurisdictional enforcement agreements did cover this, which I would have a hard time believing it does, ... You could park in AZ , launch in AZ and boat fully in AZ waters without every entering UT waters. That would mean you never need to comply with UT boating registration. To ticket at the parking lot would not be enforceable. It would be totally reasonable for an economical fishing person to launch wahweep and work the marina down to the dam and never enter UT. Same with a plow boat....

Unlike the other colorado chain of lake with an imaginary center line state boundary... all of Wahweep to Antelope is 100% AZ water.

DaveH

Reaction score
all of this talk is a non issue.

i boat multiple times a year at Powell with an NV registered boat, NEVER had an issue with........muscle deal......all they do when you pull the boat out of the water is make sure you pull your drain plug.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
And I am just bored and being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative... until I leave for Powell next week with all my tests, certificates and fees paid.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Oh.. and thanks to @24 Sleekenforcer for the tip about the local boaters program... I filled out the forms and sailed right past all the quagaa inspection stuff last trip! I have another sticker in my line of stickers on the boat and yet another rear view hanger. I have no idea how the different agencies are going to read the stack of plastic hangers on my rear view mirror!

Singleton

Reaction score
Ok, ... so maybe I take it back and AZ is as bad as UT in this off road example. As an AZ resident I gave up on off-roading and registering motos/quads etc because AZ rules became so confusing 10 years ago. But in AZ's defense California won't reciprocate a fully legally registered motorcycle/sxs at all under any conditions if it doesn't meet CA maze of rules. Its all dumb... I posted while back the thick folder of documentation I carry to just try to be fully legal with my boat at Lake Powell, its insane.

all this BS, takes the fun out of certain things.
If I added it up, I spend on average 20hrs a year making sure everything is legal for all the activities we do as a family. My bill rate when I do Risk Mgmt consulting is $550 an hour. Sure wish I could invoice the states for that time :)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
all this BS, takes the fun out of certain things.
If I added it up, I spend on average 20hrs a year making sure everything is legal for all the activities we do as a family. My bill rate when I do Risk Mgmt consulting is $550 an hour. Sure wish I could invoice the states for that time :)

And to top it off, if you didn't get something correct, its on you and you get to pay the fine. Just like taxes: The rest of the world the gov't tells you what you owe and you pay it. In the US you get to guess what you owe and if you get it wrong you can pay the fines and/or go to jail.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Anybody know if i can make a slip reservation over the phone in Waheap marina? or online possibly?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Anybody know if i can make a slip reservation over the phone in Waheap marina? or online possibly?

Maybe here

I just tried to and talked to the Marina services and was told nothing for May 27 over night. I was going to try to launch Thurday evening and slip it to take off on Friday and avoid the crowds? Anyone have an empty slip for the night I can sneak a 36 express into?

The Link that @Nanu/Nanu gave you is correct and a good reference. But most of the time that just gets you the accountant.
So here is the direct numbers to marina services that are not published anywhere... (928) 645-1027 and (928) 645-1037

77charger

Reaction score
Surprised ca hasnt caught on with the out of state fees yet.They still accept out of state registrations on ohv and boats.OHV is only accpeted if your state has registration requirements like az and ohv decal you are good in ca but the rv plate is a no go then you gotta buy the our of state sticker.

At powell i asked a ranger about the utah off road sticker he smiled back and said "what sticker my job aint to enforce all these state sticker things"I just enforce the federal laws and alcohol related.

77charger

Reaction score
Was reading on another site that dangling rope repairs are going to require more work than first thought good chance might not reopen this summer. Luckily I know my boat can go a long ways

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I'll be hanging out up around last chance for the next week. If y'all see a blue and hot pink Eliminator that's me come say hi and have a beer.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I'll be hanging out up around last chance for the next week. If y'all see a blue and hot pink Eliminator that's me come say hi and have a beer.

I am going to skip the 4th of July… but I did notice last week there was a large fireworks stand at Big Water in case anyone is into that kind of thing!

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Sweet! I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I launch at main and just park at state line parking lot and have the boat drive over from the main ramp to pick up the truck driver. Why deal with all that mess along lake shore road?

That what was mentioned in the Powellheadz post. Or if you have a 4 x 4 you can launch at Lone Rock west part of the beach.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is launching at wahweep still happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
No progress on Dangling Rope that I can see.....
dr1.jpg

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Hey RDP peeps

Thanks

Rick

We were there a couple weeks ago. They did the inspection as we pulled out at antelope point valet ramp. Tagged the trailer, asked a few questions and we handed them ropes and fenders to look at as they never got in the boat. Took about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk