WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell, 2021

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Water graph has dipped downward again, not spiking upward like in years past for this time of year. We just opted to cancel our trip in September, going to ride to Montana on the Harley to see some friends instead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 11.18.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 11.18.17 AM.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 68

JD D05

Reaction score
No low ballers!!! Hahaha

I
How much are you asking? How many hours? Got pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek that looks lovely. Is the at property you own?

I’m starting to focus more on a plan for this trip where DR isn’t an option for fuel/ice. Although we have two houseboats with toy tanks, there’s four other boats to factor in.

Everything is on the table now! I have notes from when I ran fuel consumption numbers the first year I had the boat but I was way more throttle happy back then.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek that looks lovely. Is the at property you own?

I’m starting to focus more on a plan for this trip where DR isn’t an option for fuel/ice. Although we have two houseboats with toy tanks, there’s four other boats to factor in.

Everything is on the table now! I have notes from when I ran fuel consumption numbers the first year I had the boat but I was way more throttle happy back then.

yes...

I have resorted to running back to Antelope after 2-3 days to top off the cruiser, but you burn alot of fuel to get fuel, so I am going to work the fuel conservation method the rest of the summer.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek would love to pick your brain on this.

Also, what are your thoughts on transporting fuel on a small boat? My gut is telling me its a legal/safety issue no matter how well thought out the process is.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Agreed but tons of people start their motors without the bilge fan running too @JD D05

Def not a lesson I want to learn the hard way.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Also, what are your thoughts on transporting fuel on a small boat? My gut is telling me its a legal/safety issue no matter how well thought out the process is.
Tons of people carry fuel on back in Powell.

To JD's point, its just fuel and people transport it in boats all the time. I just don't want to mess with it. Its somewhat self defeating in my case. More fuel, more weight, higher rate of fuel burn under heavy load etc...

I am in a 12,000lbs cabin cruiser that holds 110 gallons of fuel. We can provision for about 5 days max. Ice is just as big of a problem for me as gas, so without Dangling rope we are really only able to go up as far as Oak Canyon and back. I can only keep Ice for 3 days and for some reason my wife won't drink beer/setlzer out of the refrigerator? Having said all that, I am not the expert on gas transportation or extended short camping. When I get to about 30% of my fuel left that means I am in the danger zone for running my Generator and AC, so I go put another 500 bucks worth on Antelope fuel back on board!

JD D05

Reaction score
To JD's point, its just fuel and people transport it in boats all the time. I just don't want to mess with it. Its somewhat self defeating in my case. More fuel, more weight, higher rate of fuel burn under heavy load etc...

I am in a 12,000lbs cabin cruiser that holds 110 gallons of fuel. We can provision for about 5 days max. Ice is just as big of a problem for me as gas, so without Dangling rope we are really only able to go up as far as Oak Canyon and back. I can only keep Ice for 3 days and for some reason my wife won't drink beer/setlzer out of the refrigerator? Having said all that, I am not the expert on gas transportation or extended short camping. When I get to about 30% of my fuel left that means I am in the danger zone for running my Generator and AC, so I go put another 500 bucks worth on Antelope fuel back on board!

If it were me personally I would be camping closer to Antelope. I have a little different situation. I am pretty confidant I could go from Antelope to Bullfrog and back without fueling up staying under boost. Last Sunday we drove hard all through Escalante and about 25 miles up the San Juan leaving from Antelope and still had 1/3 of my fuel. There is defiantly way less people in the middle with DR shut down.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
If it were me personally I would be camping closer to Antelope. I have a little different situation. I am pretty confidant I could go from Antelope to Bullfrog and back without fueling up staying under boost. Last Sunday we drove hard all through Escalante and about 25 miles up the San Juan leaving from Antelope and still had 1/3 of my fuel. There is defiantly way less people in the middle with DR shut down.

I agree... Now that it is hot and I will have to use more fuel for the generator, I will try out some of the areas closer to Antelope. In all reality, in the hot time of the year, I probably will only stay out 3 days (1 tank) max anyway. I am a spring, fall and when the "kids are in school" person. I hit it hard after labor day through Halloween.

hallett21

Reaction score
Were talking about camping in the boats in a few weeks. We will carry an extra 35-45 gallons of AV for the boats.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
@FROGMAN524 JD’s Nordic

@ONE-A-DAY what was your deciding factor on calling off the trip?

From what I gather NPS is saying the boiler plates make Wawheap functional to 3555. Also reading lake elevation could hit that by late July / early August 😬

Lets hope for some good monsoons!
Everyone else we go with has flaked due to water levels, that and we just got a new motorhome and want to take it and our Harleys and do some exploring up north.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Its only a 25 mile jeep trail from Big Water to Last Chance on trail #12.... Just need to figure out a zipline to send the 5 ers down off the mesa.....

hallett21

Reaction score
Surprised the low water is causing people not to go. The lake is huge even when it’s down.

I can see the DR fuel docks being a big issue though.

JD D05

Reaction score
Surprised the low water is causing people not to go. The lake is huge even when it’s down.

The media has been hyping it around here like it's almost dry. Even a guy down there told me you can't access Bullfrog from the South end lol. Other than the ramps being out of the water it isn't bad. I noticed one spot in the main channel heading North that had some rocks hanging out.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
We are still gonna make our trip in a few weeks.

We cancelled last year, not doin that again!!!

jet496

Reaction score
@hallett21 how do you carry it?
I carried 5 or 6 five gallon gas cans while going into the Grand Canyon from Meade. Be careful filling to the top though. I did that trying to get every extra drop but gas leaked through the lids & vent holes, eating the glue from my carpet. I was able to easily glue it back but I wasn't happy. I put towels under & over them plus didn't fill them so much. That solved that little problem.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Just pretend you are at Havasu…. Launch and goto lone rock…. Which is somewhat funny because lone rock is pretty calm a flat even on busy weekends compared to padre!

77charger

Reaction score

My uncle would do that and did so for years was too cheap to just get 10 gallons at dangling rope.Personally i would avoid it if gas was available this year i may top off at antelope and carry a good 5 gallon can.I have gone from lone rock to cathedral in the desert on full tanks which is 18 per side.I can probably carry the can on the swim step or in rear corner of boat.I know some in our group may struggle

77charger

Reaction score

Im fine with people getting scared and backing out leaves less crowds.I hear havasu is the place to go this year full water and its the place to be seen powell sucks.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
We just got back from camping near Last chance for 6 days in laws were there for 14 on their house boat. Y'all will be fine if you fuel up your house boat and just take 5ers to match your daily activities. If that's not your thing that's ok. And there was about 7-8 of those nights my father in law was at the helm for a few hours with engines running helping his anchor lines. If you're in antelope just top off your tank at least.

Like @mesquito_creek said though your burning fuel to haul fuel so just keep that in mind if your not pulling off another vessel. I always take 25 gallons in 5ers and I will take them in to refill when I need ice or I make a day trip and go check out canyons on my way to antelope to resupply.

Be more aware of the the weather this trip up by last chance the wind was getting crazy with the cheese whiz between 1030-1230 at night and lasting until 2-3 am. So be sure your wetting your anchors if you're buried in drier sand. And be ready to man the throttles to help your anchor lines. And the wind came from a different direction each night. Wasn't nothing incredible but it caught a few people by surprise as we woke in the morning to see the broad side of few houseboats.

If you're a tent camper like myself it's getting muggy at night (when the wind isn't blowing) cool cloths or a portable compact fan help out. and the nats are getting stronger in numbers so some bug repellent candles or torches or whatever you like

Sad to hear about people canceling trips but the lake is still very useable.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
@Marios Metalworks

No photos. But I am 25 foot mid cabin open bow.

In the bow:
I have a 150 qt cooler for food with 3 blocks on bottom and a decent sized pelican for drinks no blocks in here.

I have 2 Rubbermaid boxes there about 3'L x 2'W x 2'T.

My 12' x 14' tent ( I have 3 large dogs, 2 kids, wife and I )

My 13' x 13' day shade

My collapsible picnic table.

And a pack a potty

All our clothes bags

In the mid cabin:

BBQ grill

2 5 gallon water jugs

2 bags of dry food.

I put 4 5ers across the back in front of the bench and behind the Captain's chairs on the floor and the wife puts one at her feet.

If I remember and I end up working on my boat this weekend I'll try to mock it up and post pics for you.

Also we buy the 4' x 12' painters tarps from Sherwin Williams and lay those across the upholstery before we load anything. They're easy to fold around boat interior contours.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
@Marios Metalworks

No photos. But I am 25 foot mid cabin open bow.

In the bow:
I have a 150 qt cooler for food with 3 blocks on bottom and a decent sized pelican for drinks no blocks in here.

I have 2 Rubbermaid boxes there about 3'L x 2'W x 2'T.

My 12' x 14' tent ( I have 3 large dogs, 2 kids, wife and I )

My 13' x 13' day shade

My collapsible picnic table.

And a pack a potty

All our clothes bags

In the mid cabin:

BBQ grill

2 5 gallon water jugs

2 bags of dry food.

I put 4 5ers across the back in front of the bench and behind the Captain's chairs on the floor and the wife puts one at her feet.

If I remember and I end up working on my boat this weekend I'll try to mock it up and post pics for you.

Also we buy the 4' x 12' painters tarps from Sherwin Williams and lay those across the upholstery before we load anything. They're easy to fold around boat interior contours.

That’s impressive!

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Cool thanks for updates....

Any fuel docks in middle of the lake???

I forgot where we can fuel up???

I'll contact Wahweap marina as well...

2 week shout out..

JD D05

Reaction score
Cool thanks for updates....

Any fuel docks in middle of the lake???

I forgot where we can fuel up???

I'll contact Wahweap marina as well...

2 week shout out..

No Dangeling is closed. Wahweep and Antelope yes. I dig it because middle has very few boats.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@Nanu/Nanu do you run wet like I do with all that gear so far forward?

And thanks for the visual as I was thinking the 5s strapped to the large swim deck with my setup.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
@Nanu/Nanu do you run wet like I do with all that gear so far forward?

And thanks for the visual as I was thinking the 5s strapped to the large swim deck with my setup.

I get a splash here and there. It has been more frequent this year with the high traffic and no alternative route through the narrows But nothing has soaked my gear or interior of the boat. Just some spray off the bow. But it does feel good.

Typically I do strap the 5ers to my swim deck but I put gatorstep on it this spring and my first trip out my cans got the Gatorstep really dirty and with the heat I think they burped gas on each other. I wasn't really happy with that for many reasons. They ride nice in the boat stay cooler under the Bimini and aren't ready to explode due to pressure.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Less than four weeks out and the excitement is building to say the least :D

The current plan is to haul (4) 5# cans across the rear bench with the seat flipped forward. No need to worry about vinyl damage this way.

Found my old notes from the last trip and I consumed 4.3gph at an average speed of 27mph for the first tank. That bumped up to 8.1gph at an average speed of 38mph for the second tank. Roughly looking at a range between 230 - 370 miles assuming my math is correct. With home base at Last Chance, I’m not as concerned about DR being closed as before, outside of no soft serve.