WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell is a tad low

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Snow pack is 61% of what is what last year at this time........Castle Rock Cut.

Black line on chart is this year, Purple was last year.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 3.20.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 3.20.17 PM.png

77charger

Reaction score
Nope, low water means more beaches, going in September
Yup i have never been there when its below 3685 and going since 86.Over the years we have found spots that require a specific water level to see cool things or have a beach that is now open.3620 usually puts you at the top of the cliff in cathedral in the desert nice sand bar right there.3605 leaves the place very open and really scenic too.Maybe scare all the people that think they need a full lake from going this summer.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Wow thats really low. I remember going to Powell as a kid in the early 80's and the lake was full. I`d like to get out there this year sometime

Ol Man

Reaction score
Hope a lot of people see that the lake is low and decide not to go this year.

77charger

Reaction score
This pic of the hotel blows my mind.......my wife went 31 years ago when she graduated nursing school and they could take the boat up to the rainbow bridge, what is it now a solid mile or more hike?
View attachment 992030
First year we went plenty of water under rainbow bridge. Even use to jump off the cliff and swim underneath. Now no water nor swimming. IMO don’t think it will ever reach full pool but like said more to explore.

Singleton

Reaction score
Worked the houseboat rental docks for 2 summers in college in the 90’s.
remember having to shift the docks up daily and the water level was almost full till.
the waves in the bay would get to be 6-8 feet on a good storm and idiots could try to get from castle rock to the docks during the storm. More then 1 boat sank and rescues were a PIA

2Driver

Reaction score
Look at the feeder rivers. Kind of tells the story.

7557A732-54BE-4620-ABD0-A48DD5FDED2B.jpeg
We’ve only been on Powell for 3 trips, all at very different levels, and I would never stay home at any level.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Out first trip to powell is booked September 24th. Of course I decide to go and they drain the lake lol. We are leaving out of bullfrog maybe having the cut closed will cut down on traffic up lake?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Nope, low water means more beaches, going in September

This is the actual truth! I was just at Warm creek this weekend, I jeeped in from the north side of the lake and its solid sandy beaches all the way around. Normally you would be up against scrub and fighting for space. If the cut doesn't open you will barely have to go past antelope for endless beach opportunities.

Unfortuneately.... Lake Powell is closed.

warmcreek.jpg

McKay

Reaction score
Out first trip to powell is booked September 24th. Of course I decide to go and they drain the lake lol. We are leaving out of bullfrog maybe having the cut closed will cut down on traffic up lake?

Not sure where you are planning on heading but once you get north of Dangling Rope by 5-10 miles its generally pretty empty. Then from Bullfrog generally south of Escalante does not see much traffic.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

BTW... Mid to end of September might be just about the best time to be on the lake. School is back in session and under no time in my history has it ever been crowded per se at that time of year. You will be golden....

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
BTW... Mid to end of September might be just about the best time to be on the lake. School is back in session and under no time in my history has it ever been crowded per se at that time of year. You will be golden....
Until last year, with Covid September was a zoo, dock crushers everywhere. Dickbags go deep into the canyons cranking out their waves and with all rock walls they just bounce back, in a 28 foot Daytona it became unbearable. Trick is to get up past Dangling Rope, all the fucksticks stay within day trip distance to the ramp.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Until last year, with Covid September was a zoo, dock crushers everywhere. Dickbags go deep into the canyons cranking out their waves and with all rock walls they just bounce back, in a 28 foot Daytona it became unbearable. Trick is to get up past Dangling Rope, all the fucksticks stay within day trip distance to the ramp.

I think that "trick" is pretty much my strategy every time regardless of time of the year.... But ya, all last year was a zoo, so I stand corrected...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My plan is too just wait for big groups of people I know to get the whole houseboat anchored and set up .. and then just drive up on the beach and leave when its time to clean up every day.

Lone rock was already a total shit show last weekend.....

pkbullet

Reaction score
Elephant Butte which is/was the largest lake in New Mexico is at 9%capacity.
Last time I was on the Butte was 05, and up until this year we lived for the majority of year in Las Cruces. Crazy how much time we spent on it before and then never went back after the water started to drop.

playdeep

Reaction score
Last time I was on the Butte was 05, and up until this year we lived for the majority of year in Las Cruces. Crazy how much time we spent on it before and then never went back after the water started to drop.
Back in th late 80's&early 90's we used to be at the Butte every weekend.
It's where everyone went to hangout.
btw...I'm thinking about moving from shithole Albuquerque to Cruces.
I really like that town(ie.Conservative)
Royal Jones(MVT,Border int.Pepsi dist.) just built that multi million dollar dirt track facility in Vado...lots of stuff to do there.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Oof... we were hoping for a houseboat vacay this year. :/

pkbullet

Reaction score
Back in th late 80's&early 90's we used to be at the Butte every weekend.
It's where everyone went to hangout.
btw...I'm thinking about moving from shithole Albuquerque to Cruces.
I really like that town(ie.Conservative)
Royal Jones(MVT,Border int.Pepsi dist.) just built that multi million dollar dirt track facility in Vado...lots of stuff to do there.
I hate to be negative about the town we own a business and have lived in for 30 years, but we want out of here badly. The politics of this state have made me no longer want to be a New Mexican. The homeless filth and COVID rules are the final straw. We have been adding property in TX and are changing residency. If my business could be moved I would do it in a second. My wife grinds on me most days to sell out and move completely.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I hate to be negative about the town we own a business and have lived in for 30 years, but we want out of here badly. The politics of this state have made me no longer want to be a New Mexican. The homeless filth and COVID rules are the final straw. We have been adding property in TX and are changing residency. If my business could be moved I would do it in a second. My wife grinds on me most days to sell out and move completely.
My sister lived in Las Cruces for awhile, married to a doctor she lived in a awesome gated golf community up in the hills. Coming back down from the hills was the problem. The entire town looks like it needs a bath.

prorider

Reaction score
Damn that sucks. Beautiful new house you built also. With what’s happening in this country, pretty soon this whole country is headed that way. Have lived in Colorado most of my life and it’s going to hell also.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Damn that sucks. Beautiful new house you built also. With what’s happening in this country, pretty soon this whole country is headed that way. Have lived in Colorado most of my life and it’s going to hell also.
Small town Texas is were we want to be. Clean, safe and they don’t put up with any bullshit. If beggars bother a women coming out of a grocery store there, they wouldn’t find the body. Neighbors look out for each other and 95% are like minded. We didn’t have to were masks since last summer and the police would not enforce. Like it should be, the people run the towns not the authorities.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Word on the street says that even though the public ramp at antelope is closed... the private valet ramp is open at 40 bucks launch and retrieve...

Moabifam5

Reaction score
House boat out of Wahweep starting on the 16th of May. Is Wahweep ramp open to launch?

wahweep st

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Word on the street says that even though the public ramp at antelope is closed... the private valet ramp is open at 40 bucks launch and retrieve...

[emoji848]

I have two slips reserved there for July. I can only hope that water comes up enough by then to open that back up. Or I guess we will be forced to use valet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat 405

Reaction score

The lake has been lower than this before. These articles are just more bullshit for people that haven’t been paying attention to the lake for years and all of a sudden it’s a disaster. Yeah it’s low. Yeah it will come back.

It was within 4 feet of this level in 2019 and nobody seemed to give a shit. In 2005 it was 10 feet lower than this and it came back.

McKay

Reaction score
The lake has been lower than this before. These articles are just more bullshit for people that haven’t been paying attention to the lake for years and all of a sudden it’s a disaster. Yeah it’s low. Yeah it will come back.

It was within 4 feet of this level in 2019 and nobody seemed to give a shit. In 2005 it was 10 feet lower than this and it came back.

This! I laugh at these threads every spring!

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score

Nope it's not coming back lake Powell has officially been drained. The damn will remain in place as it is a historical monument and state highway. If you had houseboat reservations we apologize for the inconveniences. If you choose to enquire About a refund please contact lake Mead houseboat rentals as wahweep stateline and antelope rentals have closed up shop. Thanks! The management.😁