WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell - Need Information

Xring01

Reaction score
I have never been to Powell. I have wanted to for many many years, but never made the time to make it happen.

I was hoping to get some information so I can start planning this trip.

I was thinking of going during middle of a week (Mon-Fri) in May 19. Towing my 24ft Four Winns Deck Boat, Staying in hotel, using the boat to see the lake Tues - Thurs. Timing is to avoid peak season, and hopefully get some great spring weather... not hot, but not cold..

Plan is to Cruise the Lake, enjoy the sites, maybe catch a fish or three..

Are there any hotels you guys recommend, that accomodate boats/trailers.
Can you rent a temp slip? Is so, how much does it cost?
Is there hotels I should avoid.
Any boating tips at the lake I should know?
Any must see sites?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

JD D05

Reaction score
I go many times a year. To stay by the Lake you have to use one of the Lake Powell resorts. The Wahweep one is really pretty nice, and has a good restaurant. I am not sure on slips but if you do slip it you will not be near your boat. You may want to consider renting a house boat and just leaving it slipped...

https://www.lakepowell.com/lodging/lake-powell-resort/

DaveH

Reaction score
I have never been to Powell. I have wanted to for many many years, but never made the time to make it happen.

I was hoping to get some information so I can start planning this trip.

I was thinking of going during middle of a week (Mon-Fri) in May 19. Towing my 24ft Four Winns Deck Boat, Staying in hotel, using the boat to see the lake Tues - Thurs. Timing is to avoid peak season, and hopefully get some great spring weather... not hot, but not cold..

Plan is to Cruise the Lake, enjoy the sites, maybe catch a fish or three..

Are there any hotels you guys recommend, that accomodate boats/trailers.
Can you rent a temp slip? Is so, how much does it cost?
Is there hotels I should avoid.
Any boating tips at the lake I should know?
Any must see sites?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

assuming you are talking about driving from CA or AZ and targeting Page AZ and not coming from north of Powell where you would want to launch at Bullfrog.

Wahweep marina has slips you can rent. you can stay at the Wahweep hotel. rooms are a little more money then in Page, but it is nice staying close to the lake.

however, staying in Page is not a bad deal because inevitably you end up running to page for groceries and other supplies. there has been a slew of new hotels built in the last couple years in Page. its about a ten minute drive from Page to Wahweep. The nice thing about pulling your boat out is the fuel is significantly cheaper in page then on the water, and it allows you to restock your boat easier then hauling everything back and forth in a slip.

the must see sites are rainbow bridge, dangling rope marina, the Escalante river arm and probably a few other spots.

early May is nice weather but the water will be a little on the cool side, and you don't have to worry about monsoon weather yet.

the biggest boating tip...….keep your eyes OPEN. there are numerous shallow spots that change no matter what the water level is. get a good map and maybe even a Lowrance style GPS because the lake for the first time is daunting from a navigation standpoint. don't even consider running the lake after dark your first time.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I go many times a year. To stay by the Lake you have to use one of the Lake Powell resorts. The Wahweep one is really pretty nice, and has a good restaurant. I am not sure on slips but if you do slip it you will not be near your boat. You may want to consider renting a house boat and just leaving it slipped...

https://www.lakepowell.com/lodging/lake-powell-resort/

Random questions for you- We are headed out in April for a week. We got full hook up camp spots at the Wahweap RV Campground and towing my boat behind my MH. Any idea if there is a local Uhaul in Paige that may rent trucks? There are a few of us and if available we were looking to possibly rent a truck to launch and retrieve to get boat gas and pull boats out if the weather picks up. I looked online and came across a small Uhaul center wasnt sure if I should be looking anywhere else.

Thanks for any input.

JD D05

Reaction score
Random questions for you- We are headed out in April for a week. We got full hook up camp spots at the Wahweap RV Campground and towing my boat behind my MH. Any idea if there is a local Uhaul in Paige that may rent trucks? There are a few of us and if available we were looking to possibly rent a truck to launch and retrieve to get boat gas and pull boats out if the weather picks up. I looked online and came across a small Uhaul center wasnt sure if I should be looking anywhere else.

Thanks for any input.

I am not sure on that most of the time I go to Bullfrog, and when I am in Wahweep I only go to Page to eat at a really good Mexican place.

DaveH

Reaction score

Thanks for any input.
i am not aware of any launching services at wahweep. renting a truck might not be a bad idea although I don't know whats available.

another option is Antelope marina DOES have a launch/retrieve service. its about a ten minute drive from page, about 20 minutes from wahweep by road.

you could drop the boat at Antelope and have them put it in and store your trailer and then have someone take it by water to Wahweep...about a 10-15 minute boat ride.

Meaney77

Reaction score
i am not aware of any launching services at wahweep. renting a truck might not be a bad idea although I don't know whats available.

another option is Antelope marina DOES have a launch/retrieve service. its about a ten minute drive from page, about 20 minutes from wahweep by road.

you could drop the boat at Antelope and have them put it in and store your trailer and then have someone take it by water to Wahweep...about a 10-15 minute boat ride.

I just did a search to see what Uhaul places are around Page and their is only 1 tow company who also rent Uhauls but they dont have pick ups, only 10' box trucks. He sounded like this is a pretty common thing for people to do when they get out there with a boat and MH. He refereed me to another UHual company about 20 minutes from Paige where they have a better variety. Looks to be a pretty cheap solution- pick up is only $20/a day + mileage. The Box van is about $10 more per day.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I did something very similar in October. Get a Marina view room at the Lake Powell resort at Wahweap. You can rent a slip that you can see your boat from your balcony. My 21 footer cost ~20 (can't recall) a day, it was worth every penny! Make sure you have a hand held VHF marine radio. The walk up and down from the resort to the marine is a little long, so you stand on your balcony looking at your boat and radio a person from the marine to come get you in a golf cart, with all your coolers, bags etc.. The golf cart service is free but you need to tip the driver. You can drive into Page for a dinner if you don't want to eat every dinner at the resort. I find the restaurants in Page to be not very good, but its nice to be able to break up the monotony. The drive from the resort into page is quick, less than 10 minutes. I would not stay in page, but that just me, the resort and marina give me maximum lake time. I came in rolling off the Lake after dark a few times....

The launch ramp at wahweap is huge, they launch houseboats with tractor trailer. I could launch a 24 footer with a moho if I had to from there.....

DaveH

Reaction score
I did something very similar in October. Get a Marina view room at the Lake Powell resort at Wahweap. You can rent a slip that you can see your boat from your balcony. My 21 footer cost ~20 (can't recall) a day, it was worth every penny! Make sure you have a hand held VHF marine radio. The walk up and down from the resort to the marine is a little long, so you stand on your balcony looking at your boat and radio a person from the marine to come get you in a golf cart, with all your coolers, bags etc.. The golf cart service is free but you need to tip the driver. You can drive into Page for a dinner if you don't want to eat every dinner at the resort. I find the restaurants in Page to be not very good, but its nice to be able to break up the monotony. The drive from the resort into page is quick, less than 10 minutes. I would not stay in page, but that just me, the resort and marina give me maximum lake time. I came in rolling off the Lake after dark a few times....

The launch ramp at wahweap is huge, they launch houseboats with tractor trailer. I could launch a 24 footer with a moho if I had to from there.....

I agree the food in Page is mediocre. with the lone exception of the BBQ joint. its an old converted gas station with outdoor seating and huge smokers going....excellent food. another fun option is on the ride back to wahweep, stop at Antelope and have dinner on the floating restaurant/bar before you get off the water.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Here is a picture standing at my room, looking across the launch ramp at the marina where my boat was slipped
marina.jpg

Xring01

Reaction score
Dudes,
Thanks for the input...
My boat has a decent GPS/FF... Being an offshore guy, I have to have decent electronics.

My plan is coming together.
Most likely Stay at Waheap, may or may not slip the boat... Pending fuel needs...
Eating at the Mexican Place and BBQ place in Page... and the Floating Restaurant.

Think I got this figured out...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 3 Mexican restaurants in Page. Fiesta Mexicana is my favorite. It is on the left before the BBQ place that also rocks!

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Best advice is get a good map the lake has channel markers everywhere
And don't pass gas without topping off

Those were the best words of wisdom givin to me when we went
Your on vacation
everything off water just go with the flow

Search lake Powell on rdp there's lots of info

JD D05

Reaction score
Also when the times comes hit me up about the fishing....my buddy is a competitive fisherman and does tournaments in Powell. He can tell me what to use etc.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Get into Padre Bay and keep going up the lake! If you don't you are missing a lot. Rent a house, it's cheaper. At one point a decent hotel was $375 a night.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
The one time I went to Lake Powell we brought our toy hauler and rented a boat. We stayed at an RV park in Page and I don't think it was very expensive. We rented the boat from a place not far from Wahweep in Utah.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I might suggest if staying at Wahweap to get a boat slip there. Plan ahead, reserve your slip now!

Another option that we do is reserve a slip at Antelope point. The public ramp will probably remain closed (it’s pretty high and dry) however they have a valet ramp and provide a service to launch you. Slips are limited, book online in advance, now! Driving from Wahweap might be just under 30 minutes to antelope. Or stay in Page, shaves about 15 minutes off your drive to slip. We like having a slip at Antelope best and you will save the headache of driving thru the MayTag! Access to docks is challenging, they use golf carts to get you down to water.

It’s an amazing place, make time for it! Have fun.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Make sure your boat has VHF radios and that they work. Cell phone service is non existent or spotty at best and if the shit hits the fan (or the boat hits a rock) you won’t be calling for help with a cell phone.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Where did you snag the wire reel end? Haha 😂 im jealous man! Tina was actually kind of pondering about doing a setup like you have up there. Asking how convenient it is.
Annual Pass and a Local Boater sticker…

plus a Utah annual oversized watercraft permit for me.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Annual Pass and a Local Boater sticker…

plus a Utah annual oversized watercraft permit for me.
I think she was actually hinting at us needing an oversized permit too...🥴

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I want to get back there one of these days. Looking at the map it is crazy to see the how the water has changed. Not sure of the dates of what the maps are. When we picked up our boat we did the test drive at Powell. We knew nothing about it. We launched at Wahweap and I swear we just about made it to Antelope. We did drive to Antelope and have lunch at the restaurant. I can’t imagine finding my way around the maze of a lake there. With all the snow this might be a great year to make it back there.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I want to get back there one of these days. Looking at the map it is crazy to see the how the water has changed. Not sure of the dates of what the maps are. When we picked up our boat we did the test drive at Powell. We knew nothing about it. We launched at Wahweap and I swear we just about made it to Antelope. We did drive to Antelope and have lunch at the restaurant. I can’t imagine finding my way around the maze of a lake there. With all the snow this might be a great year to make it back there.
Its really not as difficult as you would think. You just got to keep your eyes peeled for shallow spots once you get off the main channel, yes there are spots in the channel but follow the buoy line with common sense and you be just fine.

I thought i would struggle without a depth gauge but its been 2 seasons with out one and we're doing good.