WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell NGS stacks

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
They have been taking the coal area up on black Mesa for years just scraped everything lots of jobs lost

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Not sure I see the logic in imploding them etc.. I actually liked seeing them on the horizon. Showed something very impressive that mankind built.

RD

The plant is shuttered and if they just leave them standing it is an attractive nuisance, people will be trying to climb them and such...

Best to to knock them down.

Also, the EPA permit probably requires the site to be completely remediated.

McKay

Reaction score
This is fucking stupid. Liked seeing them.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is that the plant that precipitated the need for Lake Powell to begin with?

2Driver

Reaction score
so what becomes of the electric train and the coal mine?

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
The mine / miles long conveyor has been taking apart for years they had a bunch oh 450 excavators with shears cutting it up , they need power to run train and now its gone also 3 huge self loading coal Silos to demo ( on way to K town ) alot of the Navajo people got free coal from the mine to heat homes at winter , about 30+- miles from K town at old gas station you could go right it’s paved about 20 miles then a pretty good dirt road short cut to Gallup but the mine took care of the road now don’t know what will happen to it ( I traveled it 100+ times ) I’ve seen shit ton of 1/2 ton trucks loaded with coal or water with broken axels I mean in 1/2

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Shut down and capped.

Shut do
Is that the plant that precipitated the need for Lake Powell to begin with?

Water storage was the primary reason the dam was built.

There was also a plan for another dam below Marble Canyon, between the Glen Canyon dam and the Grand Canyon.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
We went to Antelope Canyon last year and I was talking to our Native American tour driver (you have to take one of their tours to see the canyon). She said the closing of the plant was going to hit the Native American community there hard and many, including some of her own family, already had or would be losing their jobs.

98special

Reaction score
The idiots that closed it should be the one's living with the rolling blackouts
in Cali.
At this rate, we'll all be living in the dark.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We went to Antelope Canyon last year and I was talking to our Native American tour driver (you have to take one of their tours to see the canyon). She said the closing of the plant was going to hit the Native American community there hard and many, including some of her own family, already had or would be losing their jobs.
Now they have the opportunity to learn to code... Come on man!

Fact of the matter is there won't be but a handful of coal fired power plant in operation by the end of the decade. The business world, society and the government have made the decision.

TCHB

Reaction score
The plant can not compete in any way with a new combined cycle gas plant. The cost to generate a MW in these old planes is very high and it takes more than 24 hours to start one up. A new gas plant will be at full load in less than a hour and have heat rates 38% less than the coal plant. A combined cycle gas plant of this size will run with less than 100 people.
These plants were built on special permits which said when the plant shuts down the land would be returned to its natural state. Money was collected through rates for the decommissioning.

DWC

Reaction score

Fact of the matter is there won't be but a handful of coal fired power plant in operation by the end of the decade. The government , government and the government have made the decision.
Fixed it for you. :)

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
They will tear this down and call it an environmental victory for the tribes, but their people litter their land with broken down cars and glass beer bottles.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Fixed it for you. :)

No, not really. As THCB pointed out these older coal plants aren't economic anymore. The companies that own them don't want to go into debt to upgrade/overhaul them because no one wants to buy the bonds that finance the work. They have spent billions over the life of the plant just maintaining it, and are faced with billions more to bring them up to modern performance standards and continue to spend billions more over the continued life of the plant.

It is my understanding that the principal owners entered into purchase power agreements with third party generation operators to replace the capacity lost with the Navajo Generation closing. That is largely a mix of Combined Cycle Turbine (natural gas) and renewables/storage. And it moves the debt off their books and let's someone else take the risk.

Reactions: DWC

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The plant is shuttered and if they just leave them standing it is an attractive nuisance, people will be trying to climb them and such...

Best to to knock them down.

Also, the EPA permit probably requires the site to be completely remediated.

The site was always leased from the Navajo Nation and the agreement was always in place for the plant to be decommissioned and removed. Nothing more than the utility fulfilling its 45 year old agreements.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I also heard some will be transferred to other plants , 1 up by Farmington 1 over St James ? ( outside Winslow ?)

Every single person at NGS was given an new job at the same utility who wanted one. No one was fired. Through attrition retirements and relocations every person was retained.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The plant can not compete in any way with a new combined cycle gas plant. The cost to generate a MW in these old planes is very high and it takes more than 24 hours to start one up. A new gas plant will be at full load in less than a hour and have heat rates 38% less than the coal plant. A combined cycle gas plant of this size will run with less than 100 people.
These plants were built on special permits which said when the plant shuts down the land would be returned to its natural state. Money was collected through rates for the decommissioning.

Spot on! ... It was pure economics. Natural gas killed off NGS, Plus the plant had already exceeded its useful life and everyone always new from the start that it would be decommissioned and the land returned to its owners.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Between the plant and the coal mine they lost around 480 good paying jobs.

Not a single person or job at the plant was was lost. Everyone was retained, relocated or retrained. The coal mine was operated by Peabody and the major loss there was revenue since NGS was its only customer. but once again should not have come a single a surprise since the 30 year old agreement had already been extended some 15 years.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Fact of the matter is there won't be but a handful of coal fired power plant in operation by the end of the decade. The business world, society and the government have made the decision.

You are almost correct. There were 12 people who were not repositioned and there were given the opportunity to be retrained as business analysts within the corporate IT department and many may eventually end up working directly with technology...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The Navajo Nation was left a very valuable resource with the plant gone. There remains a huge switch yard tied to the largest transmission network in the four corners area. The switch yard and transmission allows the owner operator to participate in the energy market from Washington, California all,the way through Arizona... How the Navajo Nation leverages that resource is yet to be seen. A large scale solar facility is the obvious place to start and the Navajo are exploring that last I heard.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The real travesty of closing NGS is that the corporate jet doesn't fly daily from Phoenix to Page... Making the commute to lake Powell for weekend boating only 45 minutes!

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
The real travesty of closing NGS is that the corporate jet doesn't fly daily from Phoenix to Page... Making the commute to lake Powell for weekend boating only 45 minutes!
It goes out to Black Mesa landing strip ( private PB ) saw it out there 100 times

Wolskis

Reaction score
Just to add my 2 pennies. This plant is slightly smaller in size of Navajo. It's under construction and should be online in 2022 with a staff of 26. The Guernesy plant should have a HR of 7.0 vs coal which can exceed 13.0.

The Southfield plant expected HR is 6.5 with a staff of 24.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
It goes out to Black Mesa landing strip ( private PB ) saw it out there 100 times

Possibly... At times there would be a need to fly 2 jets so they would contract a second plane from Sentient jet... It landed at Page every time when I was on it...

It did a loop every day from Phoenix to NGS and over to Coronado GS. In the after noon it flew back the opposite way and dropped you off back at Phx Sky Harbor. It operates out of a private hanger on the west side of Phx sky harbor.

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Possibly... At times there would be a need to fly 2 jets so they would contract a second plane from Sentient jet... It landed at Page every time when I was on it...
Ya it was a 8-10 seater prop and sometimes the jet it’s a nice runway , going towards K town from Page at the train storage silos gas station on right turn right ( back way to Gallup ) about 20 miles on right .