WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake powell questions

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Another law, as long as we are fantasizing is : you cannot bring alcohol , purchased out of state, into Utah..

jet496

Reaction score
So I am locked in for this trip 19th-26th of June. The 19th is a preboarding day. We actually leave on the 20th from wahweep. I am headed to havasu the 18th to get the boat and go from there the 19th in the morning. We are taking my 15 month old will be 20 months by the time the trip comes up. I havnt been since 98 and I am sure a lot has changed. When I went last is rained everyday but one. I was also 14 lol. Things are different now. We are splitting the food evenly between people. And bringing 100 lbs of ice in coolers.

jet ski are unknown at this time but would be cool to have. But I think we will have 3-4 boats for 21 people 10 are adults.

taking advice for things that are must see and must do I know rainbow bridge, peteogyplyhs, ect. Anything else? We are bringing volleyball, cornhole, horseshoes, and board games. And I believe we have a full dj setup as well. Aiming for west or face canyon but we will see.
FYI: We always order our ice, food & alcohol delivered to the houseboat from a local grocery store. Works out nice. Just a suggestion. They'll be at the ramp for preboarding. I do remember there was something about us having to be at Stateline though probably because of the alcohol law. It worked out either way.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Leave any kooks at the dock and things will iron themselves out $$ wise.
When you approach the docks at rainbow bridge, make sure a sober person is at the helm.
Meat does not last 8 days in a cooler.
Make sure you crawl into the correct bunk late at night after more than a few cocktails.
Grab up a map and learn the lake and markers before you set sail.
These are all mistakes made by people other than me. I get to chuckle anytime it is brought up. :)
I only listed a few because the internet is only so big.
The biggest thing is to relax, enjoy, have fun and make great memories. :cool:

mswasey

Reaction score
You’ve got me all thinking about Powell now.....and it’s still January!
Take a few paddle boards, and some kiddie fishing poles for the little ones.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score

Powell is really neat in the winter, the scenery with the snow cover is pretty cool looking

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Ok another question. I used to be a good water skier and now a few lbs later not so much. Would it be worth it to go get a water ski? If so what do you recommend. In my hay day I could slalom with 6ft off. Havnt water skied in 15 years tho. Do I need to pitch down on the prop 496 mag with a 24

JD D05

Reaction score
Ok another question. I used to be a good water skier and now a few lbs later not so much. Would it be worth it to go get a water ski? If so what do you recommend. In my hay day I could slalom with 6ft off. Havnt water skied in 15 years tho. Do I need to pitch down on the prop 496 mag with a 24

You will be able to go out early morning and probably get absolute glass. Yes I would pitch down one size anyway for sure. I would recommend you put more vodka in when the ski would go though.

McKay

Reaction score

Not sure what your boat is but yes most will run a different prop from say Havasu 400' to Powell at 3600ish. The power difference in your boat will be very noticeable.

hallett21

Reaction score
How’s Powell late September? I’ve only been middle of June or July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mswasey

Reaction score
Powell is really neat in the winter, the scenery with the snow cover is pretty cool looking
I’ve seen your winter/early spring pics of Powell, beautiful! Thanks for sharing those.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
You will be able to go out early morning and probably get absolute glass. Yes I would pitch down one size anyway for sure. I would recommend you put more vodka in when the ski would go though.
Yea was thinking it would help. Especially if I am doing water sports like tubing, skiing ect.

hallett21

Reaction score
Good but it can be a little on the chilly side.

Similar to havasu in October?

90 in the middle of the day cool at night?

Can you enjoy the water still?

mswasey

Reaction score
How’s Powell late September? I’ve only been middle of June or July.

Powell is great in September. The water is still warm from the hot summer days, and the air temp is cooler. Not to mention school is back in session so the lake is less busy.

JD D05

Reaction score
Yea was thinking it would help. Especially if I am doing water sports like tubing, skiing ect.

So my bote runs 36's at Havasu...If I am full of fuel and gear to camp it will not plane out until I burn off about 5 gallons. If I am not camping and don't have all the gear it will plane out but it is a hassle. I run my 34's all the time.

McKay

Reaction score
Dan anyone recommend a water ski to get?

I'm a bigger guy and 40lbs heavier than when I could ski good. Bought an HO Freeride a few years ago and love it. Had not had a new ski for 20 years before buying that and they have come a long way.

JD D05

Reaction score
Similar to havasu in October?

90 in the middle of the day cool at night?

Can you enjoy the water still?

Yes you can. I have been many times in Sept and had perfect weather, but you can get a cold front and sweatshirts are needed for cruising etc.

JD D05

Reaction score
@Bpracing1127 be aware of rattle snakes etc and let people know. Swasey killed one right under his son's cot last year before going to bed.

mswasey

Reaction score
@Bpracing1127 be aware of rattle snakes etc and let people know. Swasey killed one right under his son's cot last year before going to bed.
Make sure to bring a long handle shovel, 9mm in length is minimum!
upload_2020-1-30_8-40-22.jpeg

Reaction score
Lake Powell , a lot to see and little time for most but the middle part will have less crowds . I would do Rainbow Bridge for sure and head up to the Escalante and see The Cathedral in the desert and other side cannons in there.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Powell is great in September. The water is still warm from the hot summer days, and the air temp is cooler. Not to mention school is back in session so the lake is less busy.
I've slept on the roof for a whole week in September at Powell. It certainly cools off earlier than the lower lakes.

mswasey

Reaction score
I would recommend taking Swasey's son also, he is good at setting up tents when yore drunk and throwing shit at the sky.
Lol, always good times at Powell!! Might want to take a spare inflatable lounge too, or at least some Flex Tape.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Dan anyone recommend a water ski to get?

There is a "Big Daddy" ski that came on the houseboat we just bought. Are you going out of Wahweap? I know you're trying to keep costs down so you're welcome to use it for free. We'll be up before you go and I could leave it on the deck for you and give you the slip number. DM me if interested. Hope you have a good safe trip.

77charger

Reaction score
Yes get a ski i get to ski about once a year and normally ill tire out quickly last trip i was ready my cousin puled me we were just gonna do a quick lap i ended up going way longer was just getting dark but flat water and ripping the turns i had to keep it up.

Another tip if you have an extra prop you may want to go once size smaller the altitude and heat will kill some power.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What type of line, size and length should I get to tow my boat behind the houseboat?

DWC

Reaction score

@Bpracing1127 - We have a couple hardboard beaters and an inflatable if you want to borrow them.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
What type of line, size and length should I get to tow my boat behind the houseboat?

We use about 100 feet of rope. It needs to be stronger than you think, we have been using highest grade tube/toy pulling ropes with a nice strong carabiner. The rope is about 6000lbs stuff for the 4+ person tubes. I would also think that 5/8th dock rope would be great but its super spendy. I would not trust cheap ski ropes...

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I'd buy 100' of 1/2" plus Anchor rode at Walmart and call it good. If you do use caribiners, they need to be high end. I've broken cheap snap hooks pulling behind a houseboat, and that was only a 17 footer. Check your bow eye as well. I'd try and get a feel on the backside if you can reach it.

If you pull two or more of anything, stagger them. The biggest issue is stopping. Needs to be a slow decel and well managed. Three people minimum on the stern.

JD D05

Reaction score
I have skills, I could lay it down back in my day. 1 hand shoulder 2 feet off the water.

Where are you guys thinking you want to camp? I can give you some areas where you should have success...

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Where are you guys thinking you want to camp? I can give you some areas where you should have success...
No clue, I’ll know more as we get closer to June and what the what level will be by then

JD D05

Reaction score
No clue, I’ll know more as we get closer to June and what the what level will be by then

Fair enough. There are some areas that tend to have beaches all year...You thinking of stating close to marina or heading down?

JD D05

Reaction score
This area right in the center has beaches all year. The canyon to the bottom left is the entrance to Rainbow Bridge...

upload_2020-2-4_8-35-8.png

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
20190714_063319 (1).jpg
Spot from last year!

20190714_062416.jpg

For the past decade we camp in Last Chance. We have always found a spot no matter what the water level has been. Last chance is about 4 hour motor from Wahweap in the house boat. We send a scout ahead to find a beach head. Once parked we stay put for the week as moving the house boat is a PITA.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure we will head north 30 miles or so. What this group did the last few years, get up by west canyon, past padre bay