WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake powell questions

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
This spot was at the mouth of our cove! A houseboat was parked here earlier staking in (illegal but everyone does it)!

https://www.nps.gov/glca/learn/news/houseboat-staking.htm

IMG_20190718_152633.jpg

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This area right in the center has beaches all year. The canyon to the bottom left is the entrance to Rainbow Bridge...
The area bottom right is called Oak Bay, and it is perfect for houseboats. You may find others in there as it is one of the most popular spots. For a reason... Well protected and sand. Not too far back to Dangling Rope for fuel and Ice as well. The Canyon at the top is called Twilight. You have to go in there!!! Amazing.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Whats the ground like under the boat? It looks rough on the gelcoat
when we have had a houseboat tied up on slickrock like in the picture we always tied our boat to the stern of the houseboat.........no keel damage that way.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have skills, I could lay it down back in my day. 1 hand shoulder 2 feet off the water.
BP, I have this 71" Connelly you are welcome to use (or have if 4waters doesn't claim it soon. :D) as I'm currently boat less. Also have a set of cheap composite doubles that someone could learn to ski on as well. Three person towable and a large 10'X10' raft deal. You are welcome to stop by my place of work (Orange) or home (Buena Park) to pick any of it up. Been trying to give this stuff away but no takers so far. Sorry but pics of the Connelly are all I have at the moment.

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/more-free-stuff.208066/#post-3501313

JD D05

Reaction score
The area bottom right is called Oak Bay, and it is perfect for houseboats. You may find others in there as it is one of the most popular spots. For a reason... Well protected and sand. Not too far back to Dangling Rope for fuel and Ice as well. The Canyon at the top is called Twilight. You have to go in there!!! Amazing.

Yes. The pic of my boat that Swasey posted earlier is right from that area just a little down from the shitter, which makes that area nice also if you need to poop.

Ha yep I have been up Twilight, right where you stopped I kept going up to the end and had to do some tricky shit to get the Flame turned around.

Cathedral is prob my favorite canyon right there in that area, it is one down from Forbidden.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Ha yep I have been up Twilight, right where you stopped I kept going up to the end and had to do some tricky shit to get the Flame turned around
This is a little closer to the end in 2008. As far as I went. You can hear me call out 40'; that's the depth at that point. Best boat driving experience I've ever had. Tabs full down, and on plane at 14 MPH. Perfect:

JD D05

Reaction score
This is a little closer to the end in 2008. As far as I went. You can hear me call out 40'; that's the depth at that point. Best boat driving experience I've ever had. Tabs full down, and on plane at 14 MPH. Perfect:

Nice! When I turned around it was 4 feet lol. I lose plane at about 36mph.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I lose plane at about 36mph.
This is the main reason I have tabs on all my boats. Won't help much with a tunnel. My 270 with the shorter Bennett's will hold plane at 19 MPH. Those were the Eddie cheapo kinda k-planes (long, but transom mount rams) on a 23 footer. Big tabs are super cool for low planing speeds. Sorry for the hijack!

Last edited:

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Whats the ground like under the boat? It looks rough on the gelcoat

Sandstone.... I have a keel guard. It took a beating.... Learned my lesson... Patched the dime size hole in the guard with 3M 5200! It was pretty drunk out that day! Good obs! Boat was there for an hour. I moor the boat on the house boat tie off ropes like in my pic above.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Leave the DJ set up at home....moms are gonna be pissed if you wake up the babies. :D

Thats a bunch of people and kids gonna either be a blast or a complete shit show....how bigs' the boat?

I have always wanted to do powell but at that price with that many people I would rather book cabo for a week...lol

StevieHops

Reaction score
So I got invited to go to powell this summer with some family friends. I havnt been since 98.

my questions are related to cost. The boat cost is fixed, but food and fuel are not.

1. I know fuel relates to how far you drive in the houseboat and personal boat l. But what is the avg fuel cost for 6-7 days including getting there towing from havasu.
2. Food we are a family of 3 (1 baby) what to expect for food cost. We will do one day cooking for the group.
3. Misc, what to to expect here? Ice, souvenirs, permits, ect.

the boat cost 1600 before food and fuel. I am thinking all in around 3k does that sound right?

We do Powell several times a year and have the budget pretty close every time. Here is my educated guess what it will cost.

Houseboat- $1600
Food, Drinks & Ice- $4000
Houseboat Fuel- $1000 (If you stay in one spot and do not use a ton of toy tank fuel)
Boat Fuel- $3600

Divided by 18 (we do not count the kids in diaper for per person price)
$567 per person

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Powell is one place where jet skis actually make sense when exploring for beaches or running to the very end of the canyons.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have a set of training skis for kids if you want to take them

JD D05

Reaction score
Powell is one place where jet skis actually make sense when exploring for beaches or running to the very end of the canyons.

Still annoying lol. But yes they are fun there. Had one last year try and get hit, I was doing everything I could to avoid it, using the whole damn lake.