WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell Water Level

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I love Oak Canyon! Dangling Rope is closed?
Haha, welcome back from 2020. Since youve been gone a dangling rope suffered massive wind damage while undergoing some renovations in the spring of 2021. Since then the park service and Aramark have chosen not to put anything back in its place so now mid lake fuel ice and concessions are no longer.

For real dangling rope is no mas. Hope i made you laugh not mad with my post.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Beautiful pics sir. 👍🏼

Were you hiking taking some of those pics? Breathtaking scenery for sure.
Thank you, pics don’t even do it justice. Some of those from hiking trails. And a couple right off the road. We see new things even in the same areas we have previously been. We bike in and then hike there a couple times a year.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Thank you, pics don’t even do it justice. Some of those from hiking trails. And a couple right off the road. We see new things even in the same areas we have previously been. We bike in and then hike there a couple times a year.
Agreed...great pictures!

Where is this?

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
It’s mother nature giving the federal governor, one more chance to fix the withdrawal system down stream between all the other state, farmers cities, etc., hopefully the federal government will get their act together, so this doesn’t happen again

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Anyone know what the water level would have to be to have water under rainbow bridge? I see pictures with water under. Are those fake pictures
IMG_1056.jpeg
or just really high water level?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Hey! I am here at Parker all weekend? Are you around?
Oh dang!!! I wish that we were. I;d head down to see you guys. We are in CA for the weekend and then off to Hawaii for a week of work. We are going to Prescott In a couple of weeks. I need to reach out and maybe we can meet up once again.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Anyone know what the water level would have to be to have water under rainbow bridge? I see pictures with water under. Are those fake pictures View attachment 1232380 or just really high water level?
They are not fake pictures. I remember swimming in the water near Rainbow Bridge as a kid, probably in the mid 80s. I don't remember if we swam under the bridge or not, but I remember at some point they closed off swimming under the bridge because it was sacred or something.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Oh dang!!! I wish that we were. I;d head down to see you guys. We are in CA for the weekend and then off to Hawaii for a week of work. We are going to Prescott In a couple of weeks. I need to reach out and maybe we can meet up once again.
What brings you Prescott? If you venture out to Chino Valley youll have a chance to see the land that god made to give his eyes a rest, and a place for hill billies or atleast Nanu to feel loved. 🤣

Hopefully the storms keep up the weather has been amazing.

Last edited:

dezrtracer

Reaction score
They are not fake pictures. I remember swimming in the water near Rainbow Bridge as a kid, probably in the mid 80s. I don't remember if we swam under the bridge or not, but I remember at some point they closed off swimming under the bridge because it was sacred or something.

Definitely not fake I also remember that . Here's almost the same picture that my mom took on one of our Powell trips in the mid 80's . Top picture is our houseboat sometime in the mid 80's also .
20230513_115953.jpg

20230513_115927.jpg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Wasn't castle rock an island and most of antelope island (the land just south of castle rock cut and north of antelope marina) was just barely under water too?

when the water was under rainbow bridge

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
What brings you Prescott? If you venture out to Chino Valley youll have a chance to see the land that god made to give his eyes a rest, and a place for hill billies or atleast Nanu to feel loved. 🤣

Hopefully the storms keep up the weather has been amazing.
The wife‘s mom has friends that moved there when they exited out of CA 20 years ago. Their core group has had mostly dinners ever since they were in high school, 50+ years. We would go from time to time but since the MIL passed we have wanted to go to one and see the friends. So this is is the event and reason. I am hoping to go a day early so that it is not rush, rush, rush. Maybe I will start anouth thread with the days and we could get together.

77charger

Reaction score
Same here first couple years we were jumping off the cliff swimming and one year rangers were chasing us out of there lol.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
When water was under rainbow bridge it was easy to get to. Could walk right up to it and around it. Since the water level dropped it turned into a hike to see it and they blocked off a lot of the area. I stopped going there a long time ago.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Definitely not fake I also remember that . Here's almost the same picture that my mom took on one of our Powell trips in the mid 80's . Top picture is our houseboat sometime in the mid 80's also . View attachment 1232400
View attachment 1232399
For original pictures those are very clear for the time in which they were taken with the technology that was available.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Wasn't castle rock an island and most of antelope island (the land just south of castle rock cut and north of antelope marina) was just barely under water too?

when the water was under rainbow bridge

I seem to remember water skiing around Castle Rock many times as a kid. I don't remember if Antelope was an island or not

BajaMike

Reaction score
Haha, welcome back from 2020. Since youve been gone a dangling rope suffered massive wind damage while undergoing some renovations in the spring of 2021. Since then the park service and Aramark have chosen not to put anything back in its place so now mid lake fuel ice and concessions are no longer.

For real dangling rope is no mas. Hope i made you laugh not mad with my post.
That really makes Oak Canyon and the upper lake hard to stay at. When we stayed up there we went to Dangling Rope 2 or three times for fuel beer and ice.

Sharky

Reaction score
You went over the pass and not thru the tunnel? I helped build that tunnel.
Na. Just a CDOT camera grab. I still take US 6 in the summer on the motorcycle. Much nicer ride.

That was quite the project to build those tunnels. Old friend that still lives in Buena Vista worked in the tunnels during construction. He was a heavy equipment operator and had been working at the Climax mine in Leadville. Took a job with one of the contractors building the tunnels and better than doubled his salary for several years.

He made enough to pay off his house & property in BV in just a few short years.

He says all we need to do to stop Californians from moving to Colorado is blast those tunnels and close them off. I'm good with that. 🙂

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What % capacity is the lake now? Or how many feet from full?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Water level this morning is 3547.5 There is an error on the Water level site about where it dropped like 25,000 in 24hrs and only came up .68 from the previous day at 1.48.

When you look further into it, it came up another 1.5 feet May 21st.
Look here for more info.

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
In terms of full pool in practical terms.. I am with @92562 that 3660 is most likely the best we will see. 3700 was an experiment and after nearly topping Glen Canyon, plus almost topping Roosevelt dam around the same time, BOR regulations changed to require larger flood control requirements. That effectively lowered full pool 10% as a safety buffer.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
yep.
when you think the lake is forecasted to go up 40’, the amount of water that equals is insane.
I’d like to see a graph of the level overlaid in a graph of the % of capacity. I think it would be a fascinating relationship.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Our last trip was in July '22. The day we left they closed the ramp at AP. I think the water level then was 3540ish.

I have been telling da wifey that we are not going to recognize the places we have been in the past few years. So excited about this!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Water level this morning is 3547.5 There is an error on the Water level site about where it dropped like 25,000 in 24hrs and only came up .68 from the previous day at 1.48.

When you look further into it, it came up another 1.5 feet May 21st.
Look here for more info.

They updated the other site to be correct.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
in the 80's... when the lake was 10' from the top of the dam...

Wahweap Marina store was 5' ish under water.(i was thinking like 10') sand bags stacked 10' high, holding water back while waterpumps running max operation and while store still in operation....

I was 18... I wish I had some pics...

giving me some chills just typing this...

we'd ski from backside of Gunsight back to Marina every evening... about one pull... get lucky and have some glass every so often...

just like it was yesterday...

mbrown2

Reaction score
Look at those stats above where you see the inflow averages of 60K for the last 13 days and we are not at peak run off yet... compare that to the last 10 yrs of May 24th inflows... avg of 28K... that is a monumental difference in inflow.. If you look at Lake elevation those past 10 yrs you can see most are higher than today likely cause they are figuring the lake is gonna rise fast with these larger than life inflows... they are trying to mitigate that... could also be from the Lake Mead release they did.. Fascinated by this years inflow numbers... Lots of snow in those mountains in the colorado/utah basin...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Wahweep main doesn’t open until this Saturday, so it will be a bit of a clown show on Friday for us @Nanu/Nanu

Water looks great at 25 feet higher than a few weeks back.

There are going to be some lost out drives and props on the island that is just starting to go under water just outside of stateline ramp.

Turbidity is definitely a bit high with the inflows

IMG_0977.jpeg
IMG_0976.jpeg