WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell ????

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
We are heading up there in July for Houseboat trip.....

Any cell service.... ??

Just wondering about work emails???

Thanks

Rick

Boat 405

Reaction score
We are heading up there in July for Houseboat trip.....

Any cell service.... ??

Just wondering about work emails???

Thanks

Rick
If you are in wahweap bay and warm creek bay, Yes. Gunsight sketchy. Rock Creek No, Last Chance canyon No, Channel buoy 36 Yes. For the most part don't count on it. Probably the best thing about the vacation for me each year is that my phone doesn't work. :)

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nope, thats the best part about the place. Take all your loved ones with you and say fuck it. First few days everyone is a wreck without their phones, after that it becomes and amazing feeling. I remember heading back to Wahweap and saying to my wife we dont know if the world burned down while we were gone.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
VERIZON and ATT works in a lot of places if you are in the main channel. We have been staying in Last Chance for past decade in July. We have to go out of Last Chance to get service. Download Google maps data for Powell area if you need a navigation reference. You won't need data to use.

franky

Reaction score
FYI:

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is advising visitors to be aware of changes to water access points and boat launch areas on Lake Powell this year due to declining water levels through the summer. Currently, the Bullfrog Main Launch Ramp, Antelope Point Public Launch Ramp, Hite Launch Ramp, Stateline Launch Ramp, and Castle Rock Cut are closed. Bullfrog North Launch Ramp, Wahweap Main Launch Ramp, and the Halls Crossing Launch Ramp remain open. Stateline Launch Ramp at Wahweap will reopen for the season on April 26. Boaters should check the status of their preferred launch destinations before heading to the lake. The latest information on current boat launch and marina facilities can be found at:

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Yep and if you have rented a house boat the marina at mojave will comp you with something of better value. 😉

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
No chance out on the lake. Plan to put the phones, tablets etc. away when you exit the marina's. It was AWESOME to unplug for a week.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Lake Powell is closed due to low water. Go find a lake with water . You will have no fun at Powell. 😉
In all seriousness the ramps are about to be high and dry. Not sure if they are even in a location where they can extend them. I wonder how it will affect the season this year.
ECE2C1BB-5728-4713-BADC-77EDD2DF2CA4.jpeg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Still trending down unlike prior years where it would have begun to trend up by now.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.20.05 AM.png

Reaction score
In all seriousness the ramps are about to be high and dry. Not sure if they are even in a location where they can extend them. I wonder how it will affect the season this year. View attachment 998975
It’s going to get real very fast if the runoff doesn’t start. Both ramps will be useless soon. Hopefully NPS has a game plan like 2005 . Time will tell . Even the valet ramp is good for another 10 feet.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
The game plan should be stop releasing water. Get your power from the page power plant... Oh yeah we decommissioned that too...

Last time I looked in the dictionary reservoir was the long term for reserve which means to have a storage. Well how is a river high if the storage is low? My guess is there's a leak.

Horse pasture in roosevelt lake is still under water and all the canyon lakes below are almost full. So WTF? Last I checked the rivers feeding into roosevelt were still in the drought stricken southwest too.

Something isn't making sense.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Still trending down unlike prior years where it would have begun to trend up by now.

View attachment 998976
All of our lakes in NorCal are trending the same. Folsom Lake has been at 5mph since the e d of last summer. It never rose enough to lift the speed limit. I have never seen the lake this low, this early in the season. Turns out they have been releasing the same amount as the inflow...keeping it low intentionally. Supposedly, they are keeping the lake low to work on a pump station. But all the pictures I have seen, there is nobody there working, and I haven't seen one thing about it on the news. It may just be a cover story, and their real intention is to give us a water shortage so they can pass more "climate change induced drought" regulations. Who knows.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dam did we not get a good snow pack this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it was a dry year and the released more than normal early on. At the rate it is going down, the main ramp at Wahweap will be unusable by early June. The rental ramp is already sand. And, my trip is scheduled for 6/14-6/22. Looks like I need a plan B. Worst thing would be that I launch it and a week later can't retrieve it.

hallett21

Reaction score
Can you still go out of bullfrog if wahweep closes their ramp?

stoker2001

Reaction score
All of our lakes in NorCal are trending the same. Folsom Lake has been at 5mph since the e d of last summer. It never rose enough to lift the speed limit. I have never seen the lake this low, this early in the season. Turns out they have been releasing the same amount as the inflow...keeping it low intentionally. Supposedly, they are keeping the lake low to work on a pump station. But all the pictures I have seen, there is nobody there working, and I haven't seen one thing about it on the news. It may just be a cover story, and their real intention is to give us a water shortage so they can pass more "climate change induced drought" regulations. Who knows.

Sent Using Tapatalk
tryed to launch last sat at Browns,long story,but only wanted to do a confirmation-start on trailer to confirm repairs befor driving all the way to Delta.Old fart at shack was in a wierd mood and wouldnt give me the normal complimentry 15min pass,but did say 5mph restriction wont be lifted at all this year.wonder if the wake boats can surf at 5mph?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The game plan should be stop releasing water. Get your power from the page power plant... Oh yeah we decommissioned that too...

Last time I looked in the dictionary reservoir was the long term for reserve which means to have a storage. Well how is a river high if the storage is low? My guess is there's a leak.

Horse pasture in roosevelt lake is still under water and all the canyon lakes below are almost full. So WTF? Last I checked the rivers feeding into roosevelt were still in the drought stricken southwest too.

Something isn't making sense.

The Salt River Lakes and Verde River chain of lakes and every drop of water in it is owned by the Salt River Valley Users Association... So don't conflate the two. NOBODY gets a drop of that water without being an owner, it is not public domain.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
The Salt River Lakes and Verde River chain of lakes and every drop of water in it is owned by the Salt River Valley Users Association... So don't conflate the two. NOBODY gets a drop of that water without being an owner, it is not public domain.
Yeah I get that I worked at salt river for some time. I was reading the plans last night for glen canyon. Seems silly that they don't care what the water level is no matter what they are releasing to meet their marks.

To me it's like a plane that is descending in stead of just pulling up the pilot says F it were just gonna crash.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Snowpack conditions right now in the mountains that feed the Colorado River and eventually fill Lake Powell areperilously close to the worst-case scenario. The bureau report shows the2021 inflow into Lake Powell most likely will land around 53% of normal, but could end up as bad as 33% of normal.

The bureau expects the Utah reservoir will finish 2021 at 35% of capacity. If things get worse and follow that worst-case projection, the water level at Lake Powell could drop below a critical level — 3,525 feet above sea level — in early 2022 and that would threaten the ability of Glen Canyon Dam to generate electricity.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yeah I get that I worked at salt river for some time. I was reading the plans last night for glen canyon. Seems silly that they don't care what the water level is no matter what they are releasing to meet their marks.

To me it's like a plane that is descending in stead of just pulling up the pilot says F it were just gonna crash.

I suppose if they could pump back from mohave/mead and mead/powell like that do on the salt river chain of lakes every night they might be able to do something similar.. but I think gravity and topography along with those long stretches of the river in between, is what kills mead/powell, only one way to get it to Las Vegas and that's use it or loose it.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Snowpack conditions right now in the mountains that feed the Colorado River and eventually fill Lake Powell areperilously close to the worst-case scenario. The bureau report shows the2021 inflow into Lake Powell most likely will land around 53% of normal, but could end up as bad as 33% of normal.

The bureau expects the Utah reservoir will finish 2021 at 35% of capacity. If things get worse and follow that worst-case projection, the water level at Lake Powell could drop below a critical level — 3,525 feet above sea level — in early 2022 and that would threaten the ability of Glen Canyon Dam to generate electricity.
Maybe they are trying to finish it off. Environmentalists would love to see the dam removed. Vegas wants the dam removed because they think the extra allotment will go to Mead. Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next few years.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Here's how much documentation the "land of the free" requires for me to get my boat into Lake Powell:

1) Arizona Boat Registration
2) Liability Insurance
3) AZ Oversize Permit
4) Utah Oversize Permit
5) 2021 Decontamination Certificate
6) Utah non resident boating fee
7) Pass the Utah STD of the sea course.
8) Lake Powell local boat program

That is 10 pages of documentation and 2 cards... Sometime I hope the lake does dry up!

azboatstuff.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Maybe they are trying to finish it off. Environmentalists would love to see the dam removed. Vegas wants the dam removed because they think the extra allotment will go to Mead. Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next few years.

20 years later we have a flood of biblical proportions and Hoover crumbles.

San Andreas 2 starring the Rock. Movie writes itself lol

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

That's a condition called Dead Pool. There would still be water behind the dam, just not the ability for it to go into the powerplant. Which incidentally also means no more water around the dam unless they decide to blow the concrete plugs on the bypass tunnels originally used when the dam was built. If they do that, they may never use the dam after that (not that they couldn't replug the bypass tunnels, but that the tree-huggers would probably sue to block that.

prorider

Reaction score
Downstream users have never had a water cut since we built Powell and mead. It’s insanity to drain them down so low. We are in a 20 year drought. Someone high up needs to quit letting out more than comes in.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Def need your head on a swivel this year and most likely a spare prop.

Just pulled this off IG. Two boats hit a sand bar out in the straights between Last Chance and Rock Creek.

86F948D2-E74C-4742-A402-A831132EC36C.jpeg

Boat 405

Reaction score
Dead pool storage at Powell is 3370. 200’ lower than what it is today. It’s got a long ways to go before that point. Don’t let the enviro nazis get their inflated egos in the way with their bullshit propaganda. They have a series of cut backs on outflow long before that.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I've been on the lake when Waweap Marina was under 10' of water... early 80's... water about 5' from the top of the dam....

Good times..

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Big sand bar shows up on this corner with lower water, not sure if this is where peeps got stuck.

42A46671-BEF3-4F23-9419-BD01DC6D6A0A.jpeg

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
What are y’all using for nav?

I run Navionics on an old IPhone 8 but not sure about accuracy at these water levels.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

I run Navionics on an old IPhone 8 but not sure about accuracy at these water levels.

I have only used GPS for tracking my location and telemetry in the past. My GPS app on my phone is GAIA GPS. I have an old Garmin chartplotter hard mounted in my boat, but it doesn't do anything special for what we need to avoid under water (now above water) obstacles. So, I am going to spend my day at work trying to get this onto an ipad. www.lakepowellgpsmaps.com

It uses Guru maps and for 40 bucks you can download individual bathometry contours for lake levels at 10 foot intervals. The lowest water it covers are 3560 and 3550. If I am successful getting it installed, I will give a review after this weekend. If for some reason someone knew that Navionics had the ability to adjust to the different lake levels I would consider that but I can't seem to get that information and my gut says that navonics is not as detailed for the specific needs we have. I don't care about where the bathrooms and marina are, just what is going on under water.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I use a good old fashioned map if needed. And look for red and green bouys that's the main channel. If the numbers get higher your going away from the dam. As far as the under water stuff I use polarized glasses and pull back on my throttle and trim up if needed

Good Stuff

Reaction score

For Powell I run Navionics on my cell phone combined with an app called Topo Maps. Between the two you can get a pretty good idea of elevation and location. With Topo for hiking and Navionics for boating. I set the water level lower than the actual level to try and protect myself from any surprises.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
For Powell I run Navionics on my cell phone combined with an app called Topo Maps. Between the two you can get a pretty good idea of elevation and location. With Topo for hiking and Navionics for boating. I set the water level lower than the actual level to try and protect myself from any surprises.

Can you post a screen shot of what navonics shows for bathymetry at 3560 at the main channel just east of rock creek where @DUNEFLYER has marked the location of the sandbar where the wakeboats got stuck?

Here is what guru maps with the lakepowellgpsmap download has for it:
08C35B49-187A-4E25-A80B-D76A0B44C59A.png

Reaction score
Lake Powell is no different at any water level. You just need to pay attention and like people have posted have good pair of polarized sun glasses and watch the water color. If it changes you might be coming up to a water hazard.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I use a good old fashioned map if needed. And look for red and green bouys that's the main channel. If the numbers get higher your going away from the dam. As far as the under water stuff I use polarized glasses and pull back on my throttle and trim up if needed

Lake Powell is no different at any water level. You just need to pay attention and like people have posted have good pair of polarized sun glasses and watch the water color. If it changes you might be coming up to a water hazard.

I agree with you in principal, but when it is just the wife and I and IF I had to navigate at night because of a medical emergency... I would be running all the electronics I have. This weekend is a waning 10% moon phase and it will pretty much be a black out.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I’m not sure of where your screenshot is but here’s the two different depth chart options. I set the shore depth when I get to the lake and run with it. They didn’t sonar map it at full pool so the base depth isn’t 3700. This should be about where it’s at now. And the corner where the sandbars are in rock creek and across.
0AA84A70-66FF-4967-9C42-4E37FB042A92.png
00E76AD7-05EB-4693-B977-8543F5EE47AE.png
34CE2C9C-4218-4050-9237-4278276B6500.png

77charger

Reaction score
It’s not rocket science either gets the job done. I don’t know about boaters who need all the electronic shit to boat in a lake.
36 years of going to powell a map and bouy markers got us everywhere just stay between green and red bouys you will not hit bottom.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I’m not sure of where your screenshot is but here’s the two different depth chart options. I set the shore depth when I get to the lake and run with it. They didn’t sonar map it at full pool so the base depth isn’t 3700. This should be about where it’s at now. And the corner where the sandbars are in rock creek and across.

I think your Navonics data is better.... Did you have to purchase that Lake Powell data?