WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Shasta

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Heading to Lake Shasta for 5 days over the 4th of July holiday. Haven't been in 20 years, any of you Lake Shasta locals can point me in the right direction of what to see and where to go on the lake I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in avance.

lenmann

Reaction score
375 + miles of shoreline and the lake is full for the first time in a long time which means you will be tied up on shore near the trees (assuming you are house boating). Take a day to explore each one of the major arms of the lake. Each has their own personality and character. Each arm has at least one Marina so you can stop and get ice cream for the kiddies too.

With all the rain wildlife should be abundant this year. Not Havasu style wildlife but nature stuff: bald eagles, osprey grabbing fish out of the lake right in front of you, deer and bear swimming across channels, and great fishing.

Check out Shasta Caverns, good once, and if its hot, a nice reprieve from the heat.

The Dam tour is pretty cool but hard to get to from a boat.

On the west side of the lake up Little Backbone Creek you can hike (30 minutes, moderately technical) up to a natural rock water slide and pools of spring fed water.

Each one of the arms of the lake is fed by a river so you can boat all the way up to where the cold mountain water meets the warmer water of the lake. The Squaw arm is our favorite with canyon walls that look like something from a Disneyland ride.

Silverthorn Marina has a decent bar and with the water up it won't be a hike.

Have fun.

renodaytona

Reaction score
The last few years we have rented a houseboat on quick 4 day trips. Lake was low when we went but its still a huge lake, lots of things to see. With the lake only being 8 feet from the top there is even more to see and explore. As stated the Caverns is a must see up the McCloud arm, the natural slide on little back bone is on our list of to do's.

Taboma

Reaction score
Just recently somebody posted pics and a local link regarding mass amounts of flotsam in various bays. Locals were screaming for cleanup, officials were claiming there was nothing they could do.
Wondering if this is still choking off the various bays and marinas ?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Been to Shasta twice already this year. Supposed to be there right now, but family matters are keeping me home. Debris should be clearing up. Enjoy the heck out of it! We might actually be back for the 4th.

Reaction score
We're in town for a wedding and decided to check the lake out. God I wish I had a boat up here. Place is amazing.

IMG_5200.jpg
IMG_5201.jpg

Reaction score
The Delta Lunch Bunch is up there for the annual Cat Attack right where you are at in Bridge Bay. I'm sure some one would take you for a ride.

Main reason I ran up here to say hello. Lake pal offered to take me out. Hopefully get a ride tomorrow am when I'm kid less

milkmoney

Reaction score
I love Shasta, I lived in Redding for college, wiskeytown is a great lake jus a few min. West on 299 outside of Redding [emoji106] [emoji4] [emoji202]

G. Faulk

Reaction score
375 + miles of shoreline and the lake is full for the first time in a long time which means you will be tied up on shore near the trees (assuming you are house boating). Take a day to explore each one of the major arms of the lake. Each has their own personality and character. Each arm has at least one Marina so you can stop and get ice cream for the kiddies too.

With all the rain wildlife should be abundant this year. Not Havasu style wildlife but nature stuff: bald eagles, osprey grabbing fish out of the lake right in front of you, deer and bear swimming across channels, and great fishing.

Check out Shasta Caverns, good once, and if its hot, a nice reprieve from the heat.

The Dam tour is pretty cool but hard to get to from a boat.

On the west side of the lake up Little Backbone Creek you can hike (30 minutes, moderately technical) up to a natural rock water slide and pools of spring fed water.

Each one of the arms of the lake is fed by a river so you can boat all the way up to where the cold mountain water meets the warmer water of the lake. The Squaw arm is our favorite with canyon walls that look like something from a Disneyland ride.

Silverthorn Marina has a decent bar and with the water up it won't be a hike.

Have fun.

Thanks a lot, Silverthorn is where I'm getting our houseboat rental.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Shasta is pretty remote compared to what you are used to. So just drive up the arms and find a nice cove, relax and enjoy.

The lake is the destination. Find a quiet spot and enjoy. Its a boaters paradise.

Bring what you need with you. Stop in Redding for supplies and pack it in

Head west towards the main body for some open water and nice big coves. Head up Mccloud for smaller coves and nice scenery.

Most of the surroundings businesses are dives.

That said we are going 6/26-7/1 and will hit some dive bars.:thumbsup

have a good and relaxing time

cole_skier

Reaction score
I love Shasta, I lived in Redding for college, wiskeytown is a great lake jus a few min. West on 299 outside of Redding [emoji106] [emoji4] [emoji202]

I grew up there. What years were you there?

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
We're in town for a wedding and decided to check the lake out. God I wish I had a boat up here. Place is amazing.

View attachment 568085
View attachment 568086

Moved up there for about 8 months. We were literally at one lake or another 3-4 days a week. With that said, I couldn't stop worrying that our house was getting robbed each time we were at the lake. Crime and crack heads were incredible. However, it is one of the most gorgeous places to live.

I did have a crazy episode at Wiskeytown. My 3 year old son befriended another kid so my wife chatted for a while with his mom. Wasn't long before the father showed up in an old bayliner that had a stereo that could put many DCB's to shame. After packing the family on the boat, he headed to the table to take a few hits off his glass crack pipe and took his family for an adventure I'm sure. This isn't the first and only story I accumulated, I have a shit load. Crazy place!

Reaction score
Moved up there for about 8 months. We were literally at one lake or another 3-4 days a week. With that said, I couldn't stop worrying that our house was getting robbed each time we were at the lake. Crime and crack heads were incredible. However, it is one of the most gorgeous places to live.

I did have a crazy episode at Wiskeytown. My 3 year old son befriended another kid so my wife chatted for a while with his mom. Wasn't long before the father showed up in an old bayliner that had a stereo that could put many DCB's to shame. After packing the family on the boat, he headed to the table to take a few hits off his glass crack pipe and took his family for an adventure I'm sure. This isn't the first and only story I accumulated, I have a shit load. Crazy place!

I have seen my fair share of squirrely people why here. I was aware going in, but yea it's pretty different. I love the scenery here but no way I could ever live here.

G. Faulk

Reaction score

I have to get a hotel in Redding the first and last night of my trip. Do I need to sleep in the boat with my Glock while its park at the hotel? :D

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Only if you need the stereo the next day. :D
I have to get a hotel in Redding the first and last night of my trip. Do I need to sleep in the boat with my Glock while its park at the hotel? :D

Reaction score

upload1497726881.228804.jpg

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

ghansen

Reaction score
We stayed at the Sugarloaf Resort for about 10 years in the 70's. Those were great trips.

milkmoney

Reaction score
We have done two house boat vacations on Shasta back when I was a youngster and once when I was at college in Redding. Great times. [emoji106]

Makes me want to go again. [emoji202]

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

I would. I'd probably just get a hotel room at bridgebay or leave it there and pick it up in the morning.