WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Tahoe - Slips and RV Spots

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a birthday trip to Tahoe. My wife's uncle has a house near lake but we'd rather stay on our own either in an RV or a rental house. Haven't decided on whether to bring the boat or just enjoy his, however, in the event we take mine, where is a good place to slip the boat near South Lake Tahoe? Also does anyone have a suggestion for pull throughs/full hook ups in the same area?

Meaney77

Reaction score
We had the same dilemma a few years ago. We booked spots at Zephyr Cove over the 4th of July. The camp ground is nice, but nothing special, spots are some what tight but there is a cool beach right across the street along with the Dixie Belle. We decided to leave the boat at home since we hadn't done the trip before and didnt want to hassle with the inspection process. We had a really good time but if I were to do it again I would bring the boat and rent a house in the Keys.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
The marina in south Tahoe. But it’s almost $200.00 to launch plus slip fees. So you could easily spend 300-500 just for slip and launching. I did it though lol it was well worth the hassle of going in and out.

kimbalee

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a birthday trip to Tahoe. My wife's uncle has a house near lake but we'd rather stay on our own either in an RV or a rental house. Haven't decided on whether to bring the boat or just enjoy his, however, in the event we take mine, where is a good place to slip the boat near South Lake Tahoe? Also does anyone have a suggestion for pull throughs/full hook ups in the same area?

So we launched at the Keys because that was the only place that would store our trailer for our entire stay and then we paid for a mooring ball at Zephyr Cove and we stayed at the RV campground across the street from where the boat was moored in Zephyr Cove. 40' DP & 24' Lavey. I do not recall finding public slips for rent. Quick walk from RV to the pier where there is an all day dingy service that takes you to your mooring ball. Be warned tho' - u have to go thru that strict quagga inspection prior to your boat being allowed near any launch ramp. Everything (inspection, launch, storage, ball, campground) is more expensive than most other boating destinations but it is a fantastic lake (albeit cold) and a really beautiful place to boat & camp.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
The marina in south Tahoe. But it’s almost $200.00 to launch plus slip fees. So you could easily spend 300-500 just for slip and launching. I did it though lol it was well worth the hassle of going in and out.

Is that per day or can I pay once and launch all week without a mooring ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Is that per day or can I pay once and launch all week without a mooring ball?

It’s round trip launch and retrieve. That’s the marina though other facilities might be different

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Alright we booked 7 days in Tahoe City at the Granlibakken Tahoe. My wife’s uncle lives 5 minutes from there and it’s 5 minutes from the Tahoe City Marina. Well either launch’s FB retrieve each day or find a slip but they’re super expensive at the marina, like $150 a day.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Should we take the 395 for the scenic route or take the 95 through Nevada for the less scenic and faster route? Remember, we’re towing a 40’ trailer.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have stayed at Zepher Cove and Tahoe Valley. Tahoe Valley is much busier. I prefer Zepher as less crowded and much more beautiful area.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I have stayed at Zepher Cove and Tahoe Valley. Tahoe Valley is much busier. I prefer Zepher as less crowded and much more beautiful area.
Unfortunately it's all busy now. Social media has all but ruined Tahoe.

C08H18

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's all busy now. Social media has all but ruined Tahoe.

Should be hilarious watching the city folk launch and dock at the keys this year. Last year i saw several folks fall overboard within feet of the launch dock. I'm concerned if i meet one of them in the cut.

707dog

Reaction score
Should we take the 395 for the scenic route or take the 95 through Nevada for the less scenic and faster route? Remember, we’re towing a 40’ trailer.

if I'm not mistaken that 395 route has some pretty far distances between gas stations really have to watch your MPG.

Meaney77

Reaction score
We did this trip and stayed at Zephyr a few years ago over the 4th of July. We have a 40' pusher and tow an F150 behind it. We were coming from Ventura County and took the 395. We broke the trip up by staying a night in Mammoth and the work up the next morning to continue on to Tahoe. The 395 is an easy drive a beautiful once you get to Lone Pine. We had no issues traveling up there at all.

We stayed in Tahoe for a week and really enjoyed it, we also really enjoyed Truckee and rafting the Truckee river if you are looking to do different things up there. We also took the gondola at Heavenly and there was lots of great views and out door stuff to do at the top.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Just an FYI....The launch ramp at El Dorado Beach is closed for the year due to low water.