WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LAM 2023 Ford Lighting F-150 EV

boatpi

Reaction score
Well, I placed my reservation in about April 2021 this week the truck arrived. It’s going to be shipped to our facility in Las Vegas to use for a while and then may be back to 4K Aluminum in Corona.
Oh I did a short test drive that rides pretty good. It’s a lariat model with extended battery and a number of options some of which were canceled by Ford cause I don’t have chips like the trailer sensor system load rating and a heated steering wheel. No big deal for me.

Big-time power it’s absolutely seamless when you place your foot on the Excelerator I think the horsepower is about 555

Full charge shows is 315 miles on the gauge
Mine comes with two years of free charging through the FordPass system, which she uses electrify America and they’re virtually everywhere. It also comes with for 220 110 V cord and they will supply me with a wall-mounted DC unit.

When is sticker is a little over $88,000

I’ve got to work with Ford when I get a chance to call them in about a week I think they got a price guarantee which would give me about another $4000 in return and I’m fairly certain for businesses I’ll get a $7500 federal tax credit.

Plus for the use it has, which is not going to be Towing, no use any gas for several years to come. I’m pretty sure it will
1FE983E7-BD7B-429A-9708-E0365DCE3CEA.jpeg
fit for the specific use that we have.

The touchscreen flatscreen is huge, even bigger than the ram and much brighter. The dash in the seats look great, but Ford failed miserably on the dash pad on the door panels unlike my 202 Ram, it’s all stitch leather, here Everything is plastic. And this is on a lariat. Disappointing.

When we give it a long run I’ll do an update on this thread. Tell me how many miles in freeway driving we truly get out of one charge.
The Ford pass app is exceptional. You can do a lot of things with the truck it’ll lead you any charge station. You have a lock unlock and even start it remotely and a few other things.
9F15AFCA-6B64-49F9-883F-5E07155C873E.jpeg
BBAE62D5-769B-4ABC-B156-0E71D7C61EC1.jpeg
31C43DC8-1DC0-410B-A5B0-A6B11BF3217F.jpeg
B455B3F6-B792-4C6B-AB25-A426872C7A7A.jpeg
4FB54670-3402-46F0-BAE2-775905451F8D.jpeg
88239632-B3E0-4FD9-B0C3-DED2845D8836.jpeg
251F38F4-10F1-4BA3-8F9C-A04E7BF15963.jpeg

JB in so cal

Reaction score
There are 2 used 2022's at mission Viejo range rover. Don't know where they came from but the want $99 for one of them

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
How the hell would you get the tax credit? I want to upgrade the wife from the 3 to the Y, but the income limit on the $7,500 credit is like $150k combined. That’s a no go. Sucks

Reactions: DWC

propcheck

Reaction score
Look like a nice truck. I hope you get lots of benefit from it. I have always liked the idea of electric fleet vehicles and if they ever get serious and build them I may entertain the idea.

boatpi

Reaction score
I knew we were going to need a vehicle for a coma location that’s why I put the reservation in the beginning so we’re gonna save 300 and 400 a month on the fuel get the tax credit business purchaser

Appreciate the shit out of this.

In three years it should still have a great resale.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Why would you remotely start an EV?? And what’s the point? Not like the engine has to heat up.
Heat the cab up, defrost the windows, etc
And you can do that while its plugged in to "shore power" so you don't suck up the battery and reduce range before pulling out of the driveway

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Heat the cab up, defrost the windows, etc
And you can do that while its plugged in to "shore power" so you don't suck up the battery and reduce range before pulling out of the driveway
Well that at least makes sense if it’s still plugged in. Running the heater is a battery suck so my thought the car was outside and not in a garage.

I wouldn’t remote start my ICE vehicle in the garage as I have my car outside more often than not but I do it regularly in the winter (other car is in garage and it’s a one car garage).

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
How does the charging work. We are familiar with how Tesla does it. Curious how others do it?

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thumbs up.
No one should be pissing on the Lightning until they drive one.

Amazing ride quality in all road and terrain conditions. Unlike anything you’ve ever experienced. Precision steering response. Instant 100% torque and power no one’s ever had either.

90 amp home charging and 350kw on the road, usually free at Electrify America is colossal. Cheap even if you have to pay.

Fucking incredible.

Ford did everything right.

Some of you are the same hard ons that when someone gets a dog instead of good stories about it - it’s how big a shit shovel you’re gonna need.

Our 400 mile Range GMC EV will be a dog and RZR 200 hauler. Trailering will be 200 to 250 mile range which is what our gas truck gets as well.

A generator in the bed,,, redneck hybrid - good to go for now.
Sits below the bed rail.
50 AMP NEMA 14 50 plug, charges 20% to 100% on the wifes EV less than 3 gallons = almost 100 miles per gallon on the road where public charging is unavailable. Free charging at home and at EA,,, not for everyone but fits our needs.

1602503827617386497.webp

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
How does the charging work. We are familiar with how Tesla does it. Curious how others do it?
SAE and J1777 up to 350 KW is the USA standard.
Chatmo is the obsolete US and still sold on some Nissans so beware. It’s being phased out.
Home charging up to 90 amps though most use the 48 amp home charger.

Tesla chargers are plug n play address’d to your credit card.

Non Tesla is still flash a CC at the charger or register on the app, and swipe the location when you arrive at the chargers after you plug in.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Our 400 mile Range GMC EV will be a dog and RZR 200 hauler. Trailering will be 200 to 250 mile range which is what our gas truck gets as well.

Your gas truck loses 50% of it's range hauling a dog and a rzr 200 ?

1673976129564.jpeg

rzr-200-efi--my23-05f6-white-lightning-indy-red.png

boatpi

Reaction score
Took it around the corner from my Vegas house today, hammered it from a stop. It burned a small amount of rubber, AWD of course, ran maybe 800'. This bad boy is quick!

See this;

timstoy

Reaction score
Thumbs up.
No one should be pissing on the Lightning until they drive one.

Amazing ride quality in all road and terrain conditions. Unlike anything you’ve ever experienced. Precision steering response. Instant 100% torque and power no one’s ever had either.

90 amp home charging and 350kw on the road, usually free at Electrify America is colossal. Cheap even if you have to pay.

Fucking incredible.

Ford did everything right.

Some of you are the same hard ons that when someone gets a dog instead of good stories about it - it’s how big a shit shovel you’re gonna need.

Sits below the bed rail.
50 AMP NEMA 14 50 plug, charges 20% to 100% on the wifes EV less than 3 gallons = almost 100 miles per gallon on the road where public charging is unavailable. Free charging at home and at EA,,, not for everyone but fits our needs.

1602503827617386497.webp
So you still have to carry gas for your generator?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I’d prefer the new Ram Revolution Extended Range. That looks pretty nice and the drivetrain seems aligned to what truck ownership means. As in, you bought a truck to tow and haul.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So what happens when it gets to empty? Does AAA battery service even help? Or do they bring a generator?

boatpi

Reaction score
It will change 90% in about 40 minutes or less. All of Our use is 200 miles or less. But it will be driven to Anaheim on Thursday, 260 miles. I am not an EV nut, but having driven it and charge it home a couple of times, if you have Solar in your house like I do, you can drive this truck every day under the 300 miles charged at home I have zero daily cost. Interesting.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
One of the guys who has a kid at MaK's school in cave creek has one now, looks good from the outside...depending on some decisions I make in the next couple years I could totally see having one as a daily driver.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It will change 90% in about 40 minutes or less. All of Our use is 200 miles or less. But it will be driven to Anaheim on Thursday, 260 miles. I am not an EV nut, but having driven it and charge it home a couple of times, if you have Solar in your house like I do, you can drive this truck every day under the 300 miles charged at home I have zero daily cost. Interesting.

Yes, 0 daily cost aside from whatever the solar cost you, and paying 2x for the truck.

That is where this all falls short for me. If it fits your use case great.

Taboma

Reaction score
Damn, your home solar will pump out 60 to 100 KW a day AND still zero out your home's load too ???????? :oops:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Yes, 0 daily cost aside from whatever the solar cost you, and paying 2x for the truck.

That is where this all falls short for me. If it fits your use case great.
That’s a good point, but my thought is that it may cost more to purchase, but what is the comparative depreciation? If it depreciates the same as an ICE, or even more, up to the point equal to what he saved in fuel, he’s still ahead of the game.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That’s a good point, but my thought is that it may cost more to purchase, but what is the comparative depreciation? If it depreciates the same as an ICE, or even more, up to the point equal to what he saved in fuel, he’s still ahead of the game.

If you are going to log a ton of miles it might work out in your favor if you have already ponied up for the infrastructure to charge the car at home or at a business. Like I said, for some use cases it is a win. If the Lightning follows every other electric car, it will depreciate more aggressively than it’s ICE counterpart.

You can buy a nice F150 for $50k or a Lightning with longer actual range for around $100k.

$50k buys a lot of gas, and that is if you charge 100% for free. If you are towing anything at all the range is abysmal with any of the electric trucks. Now you are charging on the road and paying for that, and extending the timeline on every trip.

We have not even talked about the cost for a battery wall and solar to charge the thing for “free”… paying $200-300k to drive an electric truck for “free” when I can pay $50k for a truck and put gas in it when I want to drive it just does not sound that free to me :)

If it works for someone else or if that is what they want, great.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Wow LOF you really are working on living up to your motto under your name..... :rolleyes:

Some of the attitudes around here are just unreal.

Sorry brother, but math does not lie. However anyone is free to buy whatever they like. I’ve said that multiple times.. there is no unreal attitude in the posts.

If this is gonna work out for Boatpi and his business, and that is what he wants, I’m happy for him.

Last edited:

CobraDave

Reaction score
I agree. Nothing free or cost savings about it. Is the technology interesting and appealing, of course. The owner obviously wanted it for a variety of reasons so he bought one. It’s pretty cool a truck can go the same range as the best EVs on the market.

boatpi

Reaction score
It’s all about depreciation on a business as many people here no plus we get the $7500 federal tax credit. if you figure, the electricity is free versus the standard F150 that averages maybe 18 miles a gallon between in town and Highway..

Also, it’s very likely this will have exceptional resale, 3 to 4 years down the road as opposed to a gas model, but who knows. It does fit our company needs perfectly.

Turn Las Vegas, the window sticker on hilarious are 68,000 for a gas model with v-6 eco boost

This Lighting has a window sticker of 88,000. Figure in the federal tax credit is really worth at least 10,000.

The net difference is $10,000, or $78,000.

Figure gasoline on the average is about four dollars a gallon. I just did the math it’ll be about $6600 a year and gasoline expenses for 12,000 miles run. It would be $19,800 for three years..
And of course the maintenance is zero, no oil.

Even if we don’t use Home charging, you get two years of free charging on FordPass.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Using my crystal ball, the federal and state revenue equalizers see a huge pile of funds to be had. Timing is the key. Once you have enough consumers with their EV's chortling about all the money they are saving, the EV taxes come into play. Not paying for gas, that's 20 cents a mile, not paying gas taxes, that's nearly 5 cents a mile and the list goes on......
To keep things easy and to recoup the tax credits, the state will add 50 cents a mile fee and the feds will add 75 cents a mile, payable monthly. All reported by your EV's management system. Get 30 days behind, where ever you last parked, that's where you are staying until you settle up.
Any guesses as to which state implements it first?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We have not even talked about the cost for a battery wall and solar to charge the thing for “free”… paying $200-300k to drive an electric truck for “free” when I can pay $50k for a truck and put gas in it when I want to drive it just does not sound that free to me :)
Let's take a look at that....math doesn't lie as you referenced above.

Ford estimates the average owner will use 30kwh per day which for easy numbers is 60 miles of driving. So in a year they estimate that the truck will use 10950 kWh per year of power.

Lets use the 1.5 multiplier for easy math and say that you would need 7.3 KW of solar to zero that out. Let's say the house uses an additional 1500kWh per month on a yearly average so 18000 kWh...using the same math that would be a 12 KW system. So for simplicity you would need 19.3KW or lets just call it 20KW for simple math. Lets say you pay $3.50 per watt for that system.... That is $70k, before tax credits....if you live somewhere with a 1:1 net metering agreement and don't need batteries. If you need a couple batteries lets say add $20k for simplicity. After a 30% minimum Federal Tax Credit you would be out between 49K-63K for solar and batteries. If the truck is $78k after tax credits you are all in for between $127-141k if you did it all at the same time.

Savings of approximately $6600 per year in fuel as referenced above by @boatpi, add in whatever savings you may have in electricity per year at your home (lets use $0.15kWh for easy math for $2700 a year, and and an additional $1642.50 saved on charging costs) for an off the top savings of $10942.50 (no batteries) per year. Your Solar ROI on that is like 5 years covering charging and all with including gas savings and skipping the cost of the truck with federal credits alone as they are two different assets..

A lariat trim f150 is like $65k grand today from Bradley ford in havasu... I don't think there is an issue penciling this deal out...especially since I'm going to bet @boatpi can get some additional credits and depreciation as its a business purchase.

SunRun has their own special deal running through ford on these deals too...I don't know the specs off hand but I know its a corporate cobranding deal from what I've seen.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Let's take a look at that....math doesn't lie as you referenced above.

Ford estimates the average owner will use 30kwh per day which for easy numbers is 60 miles of driving. So in a year they estimate that the truck will use 10950 kWh per year of power.

Lets use the 1.5 multiplier for easy math and say that you would need 7.3 KW of solar to zero that out. Let's say the house uses an additional 1500kWh per month on a yearly average so 18000 kWh...using the same math that would be a 12 KW system. So for simplicity you would need 19.3KW or lets just call it 20KW for simple math. Lets say you pay $3.50 per watt for that system.... That is $70k, before tax credits....if you live somewhere with a 1:1 net metering agreement and don't need batteries. If you need a couple batteries lets say add $20k for simplicity. After a 30% minimum Federal Tax Credit you would be out between 49K-63K for solar and batteries. If the truck is $78k after tax credits you are all in for between $127-141k if you did it all at the same time.

Savings of approximately $6600 per year in fuel as referenced above by @boatpi, add in whatever savings you may have in electricity per year at your home (lets use $0.15kWh for easy math for $2700 a year, and and an additional $1642.50 saved on charging costs) for an off the top savings of $10942.50 (no batteries) per year. Your Solar ROI on that is like 5 years covering charging and all with including gas savings and skipping the cost of the truck with federal credits alone as they are two different assets..

A lariat trim f150 is like $65k grand today from Bradley ford in havasu... I don't think there is an issue penciling this deal out...especially since I'm going to bet @boatpi can get some additional credits and depreciation as its a business purchase.

SunRun has their own special deal running through ford on these deals too...I don't know the specs off hand but I know its a corporate cobranding deal from what I've seen.

Like I said 5 times now.. if it works for him great.

It does not work out for the public at large. If it did there would be electric cars coast to coast already🤣

My electricity is under $.07 a KWh. I don’t even need solar, that does not pencil out here either.

Nor does it pencil for me to spend $100k on a truck to charge at my house when I can fill a $50k truck with gas for $3.50 a gallon.

In 4 years on the high side I have put $25k in gas in my truck at 75k miles.

I’m over $25k ahead still.

As we both said, the math does not lie.

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score

It does not work out for the public at large. If it did there would be electric cars coast to coast already🤣

My electricity is under $.07 a KWh. I don’t even need solar, that does not pencil out here either.

Nor does it pencil for me to spend $100k on a truck to charge at my house when I can fill a $50k truck with gas for $3.50 a gallon.

DEE844DA-6E05-4741-8273-EC6BD7342AD8.gif

hallett21

Reaction score
My only complaint is that my preordered lariat was 60k+\-

I got the email that my slot is ready but my truck is knocking on 90k OTD with TTL.

For that price I’ll just go buy a new king ranch 2500/3500.

I still like the truck and think it has its place but I can’t justify spending fully loaded diesel money on it. Mainly because I still need something that can safely haul 15k pounds when asked.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My only complaint is that my preordered lariat was 60k+\-

I got the email that my slot is ready but my truck is knocking on 90k OTD with TTL.

For that price I’ll just go buy a new king ranch 2500/3500.

I still like the truck and think it has its place but I can’t justify spending fully loaded diesel money on it. Mainly because I still need something that can safely haul 15k pounds when asked.

This is what sucks the worst of all.

boatpi

Reaction score
Those are some good numbers and you’re not too far off. but I already had solar on my house so it really doesn’t matter. I just plug it is free. I’d

At our warehouse. We get a very good kilowatt rate during the daytime even, lower than residential. Then again, with a 300 mile range it’s not like for our use we need to worry about charging it at the warehouse.
And then, with all the free charging stations that Ford provides is still a pretty good deal not to mention the other ones I found online that are located in almost every major city that are absolutely free for a charge. It’s an interesting net worth of seem to be expanding.

so even if I have to plug in there it’s just not gonna be that expensive for us plus all the depreciation and the fact we get excellerated depreciation this year makes it a no-brainer for us for our use..

And for five years from now on this truck as I depreciate it out I don’t think the cost will be much more than about 30 to 35,000 and we all kind of figure it’s gonna be worth more than that at that point. But I do not split hairs. Something like this would be a fabulous vehicle for a delivery vehicle or if you didn’t want to lariat go with the XLT but whatever you do, get the extended battery.

And it has a fun factor, this truck is very quick.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Those are some good numbers and you’re not too far off. but I already had solar on my house so it really doesn’t matter. I just plug it is free. I’d

At our warehouse. We get a very good kilowatt rate during the daytime even, lower than residential. Then again, with a 300 mile range it’s not like for our use we need to worry about charging it at the warehouse.
And then, with all the free charging stations that Ford provides is still a pretty good deal not to mention the other ones I found online that are located in almost every major city that are absolutely free for a charge. It’s an interesting net worth of seem to be expanding.

so even if I have to plug in there it’s just not gonna be that expensive for us plus all the depreciation and the fact we get excellerated depreciation this year makes it a no-brainer for us for our use..

And for five years from now on this truck as I depreciate it out I don’t think the cost will be much more than about 30 to 35,000 and we all kind of figure it’s gonna be worth more than that at that point. But I do not split hairs. Something like this would be a fabulous vehicle for a delivery vehicle or if you didn’t want to lariat go with the XLT but whatever you do, get the extended battery.

And it has a fun factor, this truck is very quick.

For an around town runabout for a business or fleet, I agree it is not a bad way to go.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Damn $88k turned into $100k fast 🤣🤣🤣🤣

There are roughly 2.5 million electric vehicles including PHEV's on the road in the US right now..and that grows yearly especially with more manufacturers jumping on it. I did my first dedicated solar system for charging an electric vehicle in 2013, back then I thought it was a gimmick..however now in a lot of places in the country they do make sense as does solar.

Does your truck also serve as a backup battery for your home in the event of a power outage? The lightning does, as do the powerboost f150s. They also have outlets to be used on job sites etc. There's an ass for every seat, obviously electric ones aren't for you, but that doesn't mean they won't be widely used. Manufacturing capacity is rapidly increasing as will market share... A lot of electrical guys especially solar ones are going to be deploying these vehicles into their commercial fleets along with the Nissan vans etc that are all hitting the market.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Damn $88k turned into $100k fast 🤣🤣🤣🤣

There are roughly 2.5 million electric vehicles including PHEV's on the road in the US right now..and that grows yearly especially with more manufacturers jumping on it. I did my first dedicated solar system for charging an electric vehicle in 2013, back then I thought it was a gimmick..however now in a lot of places in the country they do make sense as does solar.

Does your truck also serve as a backup battery for your home in the event of a power outage? The lightning does, as do the powerboost f150s. They also have outlets to be used on job sites etc. There's an ass for every seat, obviously electric ones aren't for you, but that doesn't mean they won't be widely used. Manufacturing capacity is rapidly increasing as will market share... A lot of electrical guys especially solar ones are going to be deploying these vehicles into their commercial fleets along with the Nissan vans etc that are all hitting the market.

No shit.. taxes and registration on an $88k vehicle are a bitch.

I’ll buy a gas truck and an backup generator for my house for $55k 😆.

Electric trucks are still cars with a bed.. they will be that way until battery chemistry changes, It is just the way it is. They are not set up to do things weekend warriors use trucks for.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
in the cost equation, lets not forget to talk about battery replacement. Oh that monster in the closet.
8yr 100k mile warranty...

I use to be able to buy high mileage Prius with bad cells in their pack of craigslist for practically nothing as the owner had got a shop quote for stupid money. Their packs are rebuildable and not expensive for the components...I'd buy them for 500-2500$ then stick $500 or so in the battery of each one and then sell it. Too many people caught onto that and cannot do it now as its not worth the time.

Like everything else there will be a rebuilder pop up, or something before its an issue. I'm on my 5th PHEV or similar...and have never had to replace one. My current BMW PHEV has warranty for another 3 years or something like that. I'll trade it off right before that is up.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have many vehicles, business and personal, but having one good EV might be smart. Remember this, AH Bidens mouth controls fuel pricing. Let's see how that goes.

Last edited:

Ol Man

Reaction score
What is the battery life expectancy and the cost to replace (battery plus labor)?

boatpi

Reaction score
Warranty is at least 8 years on a battery. Cause replacements a rebuilt ones with just a small cell damage are greatly reduced now. As noted in a previous post. Many businesses cycle vehicles, every five years sometimes less because of the depreciation schedule.