WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LAM, guess what I got today…NOW a build thread

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
First to guess right gets an internet cookie!

First clue:

30479528-4BE9-4E3A-BA3D-64BAEAF87D5E.jpeg

DB / HAV

Reaction score
New wiper blades or a rain check for a free car wash?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
It was a lot more than I planned on spending but it’s a really nice boat, I’ve always wanted a Hallett and this one had everything we wanted (except price) 12 hrs on the drive and engine put it over the top. The practically showroom new upholstery was the icing on the cake. I was looking for a N/A engine but the blower on this boat gives me wood when it’s making boost. :D

The cockpit gellcoat needs some elbow grease but it shines up real nice, the trailer could use new fenders and the breaks are a disaster I’ll have to replace everything from master cylinder to drums and it needs rewiring from scratch. All of this is well within my wheelhouse.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Nice float!!

Welcome to the addiction!!

Now dont forget to pay it forward to your buddies that let you guys cruise on their boats!!

Years of fun and memories ahead!!

Congrats!!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Nice float!!

Welcome to the addiction!!

Now dont forget to pay it forward to your buddies that let you guys cruise on their boats!!

Years of fun and memories ahead!!

Congrats!!
I kinda knew what I was getting into. Before I got the boat, I got a 2500 W/Allison, a place on Parker to stay and storage.

BTW, that 2500, I’m going to need a postit note on the windshield saying: “you’re towing a boat” because between the long box and the 990 ft/lb 10 speed, you can absolutely forget the boat is back there.

when I go out on on your boat, you have to be quick on the draw to buy gas because I am quick and sneaky and I will fill your tanks every chance I get. I don’t care how tired I am, I have time to wipe your boat down and I don’t drink so if you accidentally get hammered, I will get your boat back for you. I have a fair idea what it takes before and after to have that great day on the water.

I’m in my 50’s, my wife is still a kid but I was talking with her and I think this boat could probably last us the rest of our lives. Even our 16-year-old is excited and he doesn’t get excited about shit.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Max speed is just right. 👍🏼😉
Yea, that’s my speed LOL

Honestly, the boat had been sitting for over a year. We didn’t drain the fuel or clean the carb. I just added 40 gal of 91, I was a little nervous about leaving it on boost for more than a few seconds. I only got it up to 5,000 RPM I’m having the carb rebuilt and the prop straightened out while my mechanic is doing a few things the seller agreed to pay for. hopefully I get a few more MPH out of it. Not that I need to go balls out, it’s A family boat but I want to be able keep up with the people we go out with, a 70MPH boat gets me a seat at the table. I’m absolutely thrilled to be able to pull up to Hallett beach in my own Hallett.

KevinR

Reaction score
That’s fantastic! Congratulations. Bet you can’t stop standing there and looking it over. 😎

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
97 Hallett 240 with newer interior
You saw it on facebook? I was standing in it with cash in my pocket 36 hrs after it was posted :D The upholstery is showroom new.

There’s some rough edges on the rest of the interior. Glovebox door is missing, the stereo installers got contact cement overspray on the “sea deck”, a bottle of suntan location had exploded in the ski locker, all the hinges need machine screws with backing nuts and I need to rub out the gellcoat in the cockpit (probably the engine compartment too) The windshields are crazed but not cracked…. The price I got was $1800, I’ll live with the crazed windshields for that kind of money.

All things I can do in a weekend or two. I kinda want to detail the engine compartment… I’ll spend a bit of time on that.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
You saw it on facebook? I was standing in it with cash in my pocket 36 hrs after it was posted :D The upholstery is showroom new.

There’s some rough edges on the rest of the interior. Glovebox door is missing, the stereo installers got contact cement overspray on the “sea deck”, a bottle of suntan location had exploded in the ski locker, all the hinges need machine screws with backing nuts and I need to rub out the gellcoat in the cockpit (probably the engine compartment too) The windshields are crazed but not cracked…. The price I got was $1800, I’ll live with the crazed windshields for that kind of money.

All things I can do in a weekend or two. I kinda want to detail the engine compartment… I’ll spend a bit of time on that.
Was posted for a bit. Its like the 3rd or 4th time the boat has sold the last few years.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
You let the owner know that it doesn't have a Whipple? hahaha!
No whipple

does have dart heads and the merc blower makes about 5 pounds. Honestly, I wanted NA but that’s a mild enough blower that I don’t mind. The boat has a checkered past for sure. It has been re-gellcoated. It was clearly a project boat and the parts that have been done were done right. The parts that need doing are all pretty minor but there are enough of them.

It does need a cover, I’m suspecting I’ll spend $1.500- $2k, does that sound about right?

being all red, we had thought it might have started out as a Herbst boat but I checked with someone who would absolutely know and it wasn’t a Herbst boat. I think that’s a good thing because those guys drive stuff like it’s stolen.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
No whipple

does have dart heads and the merc blower makes about 5 pounds. Honestly, I wanted NA but that’s a mild enough blower that I don’t mind. The boat has a checkered past for sure. It has been re-gellcoated. It was clearly a project boat and the parts that have been done were done right. The parts that need doing are all pretty minor but there are enough of them.

It does need a cover, I’m suspecting I’ll spend $1.500- $2k, does that sound about right?

being all red, we had thought it might have started out as a Herbst boat but I checked with someone who would absolutely know and it wasn’t a Herbst boat. I think that’s a good thing because those guys drive stuff like it’s stolen.
In the ad he stated Whipple blah blah blah.

525SC is a great motor. Call Custom Canvas. I would think about 2k. I Think that is the only all red non Herbst boat out there haha.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Beautiful....

Not too far off from what I will be looking for in a year or so.

hawgty55

Reaction score
the trailer could use new fenders and the breaks are a disaster I’ll have to replace everything from master cylinder to drums and it needs rewiring from scratch. All of this is well within my wheelhouse.
[/QUOTE]

Ill never understand how nice boats end up with trailers like this? Nice additions!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
that'd look pretty sweet behind my truck... heh.

nice float! congrats!

hallett3

Reaction score
Bad ass boat. The all red makes it rare for sure and I dig it. The 240 is such a roomy boat. One of my favorites. Great score. 👍

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

I haven't been in a 240. Can you just paint the windsheilds black? Or does it block too much of your view?

gqchris

Reaction score
Congrats! They all need work, so get to it and make it "yours". Great boat, but I am biased to Hallett 240's owning one. :) Nothing better in that class.

hallett3

Reaction score
That looks great! I assume painted the inside?
It wasn’t. Actually once you paint the outside you could hardly tell the inside wasn’t done. We had the fine line stress cracks also. It was only 200 bucks to paint. We were amazed how you couldn’t tell the difference. People asked us where we got the dark windows for the boat. We told them it was painted and they had to get up close to look. People couldn’t believe it.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

Yes I saw it on FB and recognized it right away. congratulations! We currently have a 210 but I have been looking for a 240/255/260. If you know of any nice ones please hit me up.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Yes I saw it on FB and recognized it right away. congratulations! We currently have a 210 but I have been looking for a 240/255/260. If you know of any nice ones please hit me up.
I’ll let you know if I see anything but you know how hard it is to find a hallett. I honestly didn’t think I would be able to find one. I was looking at scarabs and fountains and eliminators, which are all fine boats but not Schiada or Hallett

I still have to pinch myself. Right now it’s at a very good shop getting a few things ironed out on it.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
the trailer could use new fenders and the breaks are a disaster I’ll have to replace everything from master cylinder to drums and it needs rewiring from scratch. All of this is well within my wheelhouse.

Ill never understand how nice boats end up with trailers like this? Nice additions!
[/QUOTE]
The tail end of the trailer got dragged a few times. I’m not going to fix it for now. It would just kill me the first time I doinked it after getting it cherry. Instead of repainting the whole thing, I’m thinking I might put diamond plate over the front angled part where the rocks always chip the paint on the road.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
that'd look pretty sweet behind my truck... heh.

nice float! congrats!
It’s funny because my buddy who took it to his mechanic has a red 2500 Z71 and it looked absolutly awesome driving away 😢

Joker

Reaction score
Boat looks great. For future reference, never launch in the number 1 lane at Jack smith unless you have 4x

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
acrysol will get the glue off.
I’m going to have to be careful. I need to be sure what I use to get the contact cement off doesn’t damage the marine deck-ish coating that‘s on the floor. I‘ll have to test in an inconspicuous area first.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I haven't been in a 240. Can you just paint the windsheilds black? Or does it block too much of your view?
You really can’t see through the windshield anyway. mine is pretty dark to begin with, you don’t really see the crazing unlis the sun is coming through it. For $200, ill have it painted. I wouldn’t even attempt to paint it myself, the wrong paint either wont stick or will melt the acrylic or both. That’s a job for a professional.

I’m actually pretty surprised how much the windshield is, Hallett doesn’t sell them and referred me to an acrylic shop. The thing is that a 60 gallon aquarium uses about 1/3 the acrylic, has to be glued and water tight and hold 1,000 pounds and has similar bends and edgework done but you can buy one for well under $1k. I might see if advanced acrylics can make one.

Probably just paint though, H3’s kid’s boat looks great!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Boat looks great. For future reference, never launch in the number 1 lane at Jack smith unless you have 4x
That is really good information. Mostly all I do at needles is go canoeing with my son’s scout troop once a year. But renting a bungalow or parking my RV at pirates for a week with the fam seems like a good time. I don’t know where else to launch. I figured out where the shallow part at the bend is and found a roug sandbar a little south of that… the river in there seems pretty clear other than that area.

Joker

Reaction score
That is really good information. Mostly all I do at needles is go canoeing with my son’s scout troop once a year. But renting a bungalow or parking my RV at pirates for a week with the fam seems like a good time. I don’t know where else to launch. I figured out where the shallow part at the bend is and found a roug sandbar a little south of that… the river in there seems pretty clear other than that area.
You’ll find a lot of nice beaches further south of the rock bar. Hope to see you out there next year👍🏻