WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LAM, guess what I got today…NOW a build thread

Riverryder

Reaction score
Thank you, I needed the complement, I’ve had a rough 6 months with that boat.
I looked over and said god dam that boats sick. Then I I saw your truck and then thought I know that boat. Then I realized it was you. Actually seeing it is way different then the pictures. That thing is sick!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Pasting this from another thread for anyone who is fallowing this one:

ave to give a shout out to:

Billy Dunsmore who hooked me up with a gear set, those things are tough to find and are only going to get scarcer as the season goes on. Billy is a standup guy and a proud reflection of his father.

Jeff Willoby, Diamond Marine. Ace mechanic who refuses to put his name on anything that isn’t right. The mother fucker came in on Sunday to get my shit straightened out. Boat runs like a champ, carbs are dialed. turn the key and you don’t even hear the starter, just: CRACK!! Blob blob blob blob.

Billy-B

Brokered this deal, and without any pay has been a rock solid moderator and advocate of what is right between me and the boat owner. I don’t think I’ve ever meet anybody with more integrity than Billy.

Boat could still use a bit of lipstick and rouses.

1) Needs some elbow grease and rubbing compound on the interior bell coat.

2) Stereo wiring was a fuck fest, Having been a highly decorated car stereo installer for a decade, that crap isn’t going to fly.

3) windshield is heavenly crazed, that will get replaced when it’s broken or I stumble on a smoking deal,

Couple other nick-knacks but this danmb floating station wagon is ready for summer!

ONE THING I COULD USE SOME HELP WITH.

Anchor locker is a PITA, pretty much useless, you need 3 hands to get anything out of it. I was thinking of installing a cable stop to hold the door 3/4 open but even then, one good roller and CRACK! You got a headache. We were on Hallett beach and a guy pulled up on a ‘03 240 OB. His anchor locker had this giant spring which snapped straight when you opened the locker and stayed right, holding the lid rigid. To close the locker you simply bend the spring and the lid closes. Where do I find such a spring?

240Hallett

Reaction score
Mine just has a simple strap to hold it open just past vertical. 1991 240

Bails

Reaction score
Pasting this from another thread for anyone who is fallowing this one:

ave to give a shout out to:

Billy Dunsmore who hooked me up with a gear set, those things are tough to find and are only going to get scarcer as the season goes on. Billy is a standup guy and a proud reflection of his father.

Jeff Willoby, Diamond Marine. Ace mechanic who refuses to put his name on anything that isn’t right. The mother fucker came in on Sunday to get my shit straightened out. Boat runs like a champ, carbs are dialed. turn the key and you don’t even hear the starter, just: CRACK!! Blob blob blob blob.

Billy-B

Brokered this deal, and without any pay has been a rock solid moderator and advocate of what is right between me and the boat owner. I don’t think I’ve ever meet anybody with more integrity than Billy.

Boat could still use a bit of lipstick and rouses.

1) Needs some elbow grease and rubbing compound on the interior bell coat.

2) Stereo wiring was a fuck fest, Having been a highly decorated car stereo installer for a decade, that crap isn’t going to fly.

3) windshield is heavenly crazed, that will get replaced when it’s broken or I stumble on a smoking deal,

Couple other nick-knacks but this danmb floating station wagon is ready for summer!

ONE THING I COULD USE SOME HELP WITH.

Anchor locker is a PITA, pretty much useless, you need 3 hands to get anything out of it. I was thinking of installing a cable stop to hold the door 3/4 open but even then, one good roller and CRACK! You got a headache. We were on Hallett beach and a guy pulled up on a ‘03 240 OB. His anchor locker had this giant spring which snapped straight when you opened the locker and stayed right, holding the lid rigid. To close the locker you simply bend the spring and the lid closes. Where do I find such a spring?
West Marine

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I believe it is one of these.

Yep, that sure looks like it. Now I need to decide if I want to through bolt it with button head Allen screws or fab up a polyester/fiberglass tab to connect it to the lid. I should probably order it and then decide once it’s in my hand.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
The OD on my exhaust is 4-3/4”. I can’t seem to find flappers

any ideas?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The OD on my exhaust is 4-3/4”. I can’t seem to find flappers

any ideas?

Go faster so the water can't catch up😉

The Eddie Marine 101-10 is 4.5" and will probably stretch enough to hit that 4.75"

Or Sierra 18-4458 is 5" if it won't totally clamp down, cut a small section out of the ring at the bottom and run the hose clamp down

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Go faster so the water can't catch up😉

The Eddie Marine 101-10 is 4.5" and will probably stretch enough to hit that 4.75"

Or Sierra 18-4458 is 5" if it won't totally clamp down, cut a small section out of the ring at the bottom and run the hose clamp down

That’s what I did, workers like a champ!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Well, I got my bravo to Max machine Friday, I’ve been running on a loaner drive for a year now. They seem quite confident they can make it right. I’m on pins and needles waiting to see how much the damage is. apparently I twisted my prop shaft. I had no idea about that.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Well, I got my bravo to Max machine Friday, I’ve been running on a loaner drive for a year now. They seem quite confident they can make it right. I’m on pins and needles waiting to see how much the damage is. apparently I twisted my prop shaft. I had no idea about that.

only 2 ways to do that.

one is hitting stuff,

the other.....

Screenshot_20240122_082028_Google.jpg

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
If it’s not a Bravo XR to start, you should look into adding all the XR gears and shafts.

I had a 23 Eagle with the 525SC and we upgraded the gimbal and drive to the XR and it was pretty bulletproof after that.

Also depending on the drive ratio you could switch it up to open up a better selection of props but then you need to replace your existing prop.

TBulger

Reaction score
MPHSystems, you’re one hell of a guy. Given what you’ve been through, if it had been me, people would have been reading my obituary long ago.

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
If it’s not a Bravo XR to start, you should look into adding all the XR gears and shafts.

I had a 23 Eagle with the 525SC and we upgraded the gimbal and drive to the XR and it was pretty bulletproof after that.

Also depending on the drive ratio you could switch it up to open up a better selection of props but then you need to replace your existing prop.
The best I can tell Max machine Werks is about as legit as it gets. the drive already has their nifty tower in it and some other upgrades they did.

After talking with a few people, well respected on RDP, I decided to go with a 1:50 and either a 26P or a 28P which is what Max recommended. the amount of money I am spending is tremendous but I'm told with confidence my drive will be stronger than an Imco SCX. I'm pushing less than 600 HP so the drive should be bulletproof as long as I don't drive like a giant a-hole

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The best I can tell Max machine Werks is about as legit as it gets. the drive already has their nifty tower in it and some other upgrades they did.

After talking with a few people, well respected on RDP, I decided to go with a 1:50 and either a 26P or a 28P which is what Max recommended. the amount of money I am spending is tremendous but I'm told with confidence my drive will be stronger than an Imco SCX. I'm pushing less than 600 HP so the drive should be bulletproof as long as I don't drive like a giant a-hole
I find it hard to believe that a modded Bravo drive (by anyone) could be stronger than an IMCO SCX which is a clean sheet design. I have an SCX behind a TCM 925 EFI and I’ve only ever had to change the oil. And we ski with this boat running a Maximus prop so it gets the abuse.

Maybe they mean an SCX with the smallest prop shaft possible (1-1/4”)? But even then I have major doubts about that claim.

I’m running the 1-7/16” shaft on mine and the SCX is also offered with a #6 shaft option.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a modded Bravo drive (by anyone) could be stronger than an IMCO SCX which is a clean sheet design. I have an SCX behind a TCM 925 EFI and I’ve only ever had to change the oil. And we ski with this boat running a Maximus prop so it gets the abuse.

Maybe they mean an SCX with the smallest prop shaft possible (1-1/4”)? But even then I have major doubts about that claim.

I’m running the 1-7/16” shaft on mine and the SCX is also offered with a #6 shaft option.
You might be right, I might’ve misunderstood, but it’s going to be a solid drive when I get back

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
By Jeff I'm guessing???
I’m not going to call anybody out without 100% proof.

One thing I will say in Jeff’s favor is that I got the boat and even with sea trials there was a bunch of problems under the skin. Jeff kept the boat floating and me going out for about 1/2 what I might have spent elsewhere. Wether or not the persistent problems would have been solved earlier if I had paid much more in the beginning, I can’t say. I will say that I went way over budget on the boat and the and my threshold for $pain$ had been exhausted very early. I don’t know that I wouldn’t have just shitcanned the whole boat if I was paying this money 2 years ago.