WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LAM, guess what I got today…NOW a build thread

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
You’ll find a lot of nice beaches further south of the rock bar. Hope to see you out there next year👍🏻
I’ll be pretty hard to miss LOL

Hope to see you too!

so, the engine is running a bit rich, under an hour on the water and the transom looks like I was in HB Saturday. turns out it has a dominator carb in it, we are welding in bungs in the exhaust for wide band O2 So we can bring the handheld and Jet the carb on the water. It has a 26 four blade and it pops right up on plane with very little throttle, the prop is getting all tuned up now because there are a few little dinks in it. hopefully I can get engine to 6,000 RPM because my 69 MPH was at 5,000

counterpart7

Reaction score
Pretty sure we saw you cruise by Pirates(peninsula sites) yesterday morning or Monday morning? If so, boat looked good! Congrats on the float!

HBCraig

Reaction score
I didn’t get many photos

Heres some

View attachment 1056321

WVDneW.jpg

fGfjfW.jpg

oNmXhd.jpg
Is that an app on your phone? For the speed ?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Is that an app on your phone? For the speed ?
Yea, there are a bunch of them, I have used that one to clock my sand car…..which has no engine right now and the money to complete it ALL went into this boat…. And my builder is just about done with the long block… I’m in a bit of trouble I need to pay him, build an exhaust, buy a turbo and inner cooler and some other stuff before thanksgiving.

That particular app is just called “speedometer” it’s pretty accurate.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
My insurance guy want’s to know how many horse power the boat has. What do I tell him?

I think over 600…. Sounds expensive :(

Deano

Reaction score
My insurance guy want’s to know how many horse power the boat has. What do I tell him?

HP525SC Specifications

Propshaft Horsepower: 490 (365 kw)

Displacement (Liter/CID): 7.4/454
Cylinders: V-8
Bore (in/mm): 4.25/108
Stroke (in/mm): 4.00/102
Compression Ratio: 7.5:1
Fuel Requirements: 92 Posted Octane (R+M)/2
Full Throttle RPM Range: 4800-5200
Ignition Type: Thunderbolt V
Alternator (amps/watts): 55/776
Length (in/mm): 47.625/1210
Width (in/mm): 32.75/832
Height (in/mm): 28/711
Weight (lbs/kg): 1470/667

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
“Just don’t take the engine out” is really the only admonishment my wife has made about the boat… mostly because we replaced our sand car a year ago and at the end of the season I started this E85 turbo project ….. and there’s still a car with no engine sitting in my garage.

Well, boat has a bad ring gear, the engine is out….. I actually have access to the boat over the weekend so I’m heading out to spend the weekend pussing out the engine compartment while the engine is out.

This boating crap is expensive.

Joe mama

Reaction score
When I bought my boat same thing, hit and miss on starting it. Funny part it never happened while he owned the boat.

DaveH

Reaction score
“Just don’t take the engine out” is really the only admonishment my wife has made about the boat… mostly because we replaced our sand car a year ago and at the end of the season I started this E85 turbo project ….. and there’s still a car with no engine sitting in my garage.

Well, boat has a bad ring gear, the engine is out….. I actually have access to the boat over the weekend so I’m heading out to spend the weekend pussing out the engine compartment while the engine is out.

you dont want to know what jeff said about the gimbal housingo_O

hallett3

Reaction score

My insurance company wanted the engine number with the specs. It was a stock Mercury which was no problem. Yours stock for your engine is like Deano posted for you. Shouldn’t be much with those specs.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

what? the boat you just bought?

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
what? the boat you just bought?
Yep, and my wife is less than pleased.

The seller agreed to pay for that repair, otherwise I could not have purchased the boat. I went over budget on it as it was.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
you dont want to know what jeff said about the gimbal housingo_O
Thanks for the advanced warning, I always wanted a new gimbal housing.

let’s hope he doesn’t find anything else he doesn’t like.

oops, he doesn’t like the prop either.

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
My insurance company wanted the engine number with the specs. It was a stock Mercury which was no problem. Yours stock for your engine is like Deano posted for you. Shouldn’t be much with those specs.
$393/ year with $100k liability, $20K in medical. I insured the boat for what I paid for it but my mechanic said an appraiser Would put the boat at about twice that I should insure if for $60-70K especially because I’m a new boat owner.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
You really can’t see through the windshield anyway. mine is pretty dark to begin with, you don’t really see the crazing unlis the sun is coming through it. For $200, ill have it painted. I wouldn’t even attempt to paint it myself, the wrong paint either wont stick or will melt the acrylic or both. That’s a job for a professional.

I’m actually pretty surprised how much the windshield is, Hallett doesn’t sell them and referred me to an acrylic shop. The thing is that a 60 gallon aquarium uses about 1/3 the acrylic, has to be glued and water tight and hold 1,000 pounds and has similar bends and edgework done but you can buy one for well under $1k. I might see if advanced acrylics can make one.

Probably just paint though, H3’s kid’s boat looks great!
Call "The Plastics Guy" in Sacramento

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Call "The Plastics Guy" in Sacramento
The engine isn’t even out of the boat yet and already I’m in for a new gamble housing and a new prop, wide band bungs, water pump impeller, a bunch of electrical and hoses…..

All I wanted to do was sand and polish the entering compartment and bilge.

2Driver

Reaction score
Looks a lot like the all red Hallett that used to be up by us at the Parker Dam.

Taboma

Reaction score
You know while that engine is out, if it doesn't already have it, hydraulic steering would be a nice SAFETY feature to ad to the list.
I put SAFETY in caps, that's how you market it to your wife.. 😁;)

Joe mama

Reaction score
The engine isn’t even out of the boat yet and already I’m in for a new gamble housing and a new prop, wide band bungs, water pump impeller, a bunch of electrical and hoses…..

All I wanted to do was sand and polish the entering compartment and bilge.
Someone’s going to get an even nicer boat when your done with it.

wzuber

Reaction score
Nice score on a great boat dude...congrats.
The gimbal was "said" to need service. Doesn't actually mean it "does" need replacing. Inspect and verify. Better to know now then later. Maybe hit the seller up to help with that repair as well, especially if he was aware and chose not to disclose. Drain the drive oil and inspect for metal etc. Maybe send to Blackstone labs for analysis if you the brand and wt. Of the oil?

bonesfab

Reaction score
Break
Out
Another
Thousand.

Congrats on the new float.

Taboma

Reaction score

I think @2FORCEFULL, Steve, is overlooking a business opportunity.
Based on his vast experience of owning almost anything that's powered and floats and anything on the road with a bed, toilet and sink, he should open a " New Buyer Commissioning Service ". You pay him to assess by initial testing, then followed up by managing the repairs, re-testing, then when you receive your new to you boat or RV, it's ready to go. 👍

Last edited:

bocco

Reaction score
What about heavy window tinting instead of paint? Not sure if it's any cheaper but might be worth an ask.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Earlier today

Attachments

• AEFA6824-EE7E-45E1-87D4-D9318187BCCD.jpeg
    AEFA6824-EE7E-45E1-87D4-D9318187BCCD.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 9B8FFE9F-02B4-4FDC-AB8C-13C4765B576A.jpeg
    9B8FFE9F-02B4-4FDC-AB8C-13C4765B576A.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 109

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Still at it

Attachments

• D58468AD-4109-4DCD-9787-94976D58CB1B.jpeg
    D58468AD-4109-4DCD-9787-94976D58CB1B.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 4F13FA4E-5E69-448A-9A89-CBA7E694B3C8.jpeg
    4F13FA4E-5E69-448A-9A89-CBA7E694B3C8.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 76

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I think @2FORCEFULL, Steve, is overlooking a business opportunity.
Based on his vast experience of owing almost anything that's powered and floats and anything on the road with a bed, toilet and sink, he should open a " New Buyer Commissioning Service ". You pay him to access by initial testing, then followed up by managing the repairs, re-testing, then when you receive your new to you boat or RV, it's ready to go. 👍
Hell yes

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Well, worked for 20+ hrs in the last 2 days cleaning up 30 years of crap ing the engine compartment, yanked out pounds an pounds of wires, went over the entire bay with TSP, then used wax to bring back the color in the paint. Replaced hoses, ordered a new bilge pump, filled all the old screw holes, moved the trim pump onto the transom. It’s still not a new boat but really came a long way in cleaning it up for the engine to go back in.

Builder found a small pan leak, he is flipping the engine and pulling the pan and give the bottom end a quick look-see just to make sure I got what I was sold.

Engine should be back in and ready to run this week (assuming the new gamble housing arrives) with the exception of 2 friends and mechanic tole me to move the sea strainer from the back seat to the transom or one of the stringer but leaving it on the rear seat is a GIANT PITA every year when I change the water pump impeller.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Pretty sure we saw you cruise by Pirates(peninsula sites) yesterday morning or Monday morning? If so, boat looked good! Congrats on the float!

We didn’t get on the water till a little after noon, once on the water it’s always river time.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
You really can’t see through the windshield anyway. mine is pretty dark to begin with, you don’t really see the crazing unlis the sun is coming through it. For $200, ill have it painted. I wouldn’t even attempt to paint it myself, the wrong paint either wont stick or will melt the acrylic or both. That’s a job for a professional.

I’m actually pretty surprised how much the windshield is, Hallett doesn’t sell them and referred me to an acrylic shop. The thing is that a 60 gallon aquarium uses about 1/3 the acrylic, has to be glued and water tight and hold 1,000 pounds and has similar bends and edgework done but you can buy one for well under $1k. I might see if advanced acrylics can make one.

Probably just paint though, H3’s kid’s boat looks great!

Just had my windshields redone at Orange county boat Windows (OG) it was $800 for the set he said the price was going up slightly.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Great job!
Well, I gave up at this point. Spent about 30 hrs scrubbing off 25 years of gunk from everything and ripping out crappy stereo wires and the like, even the battery cables. Cut off the eyelids from the mufflers so I can put external flaps and hit them with a buffing wheel, they shine like new. Replaced the dying jack from the trailer and replaced with 1500 pound version. Ripped the nasty old carpet out of the ski locker and scrubbed and flushed with a garden hose untill it ran clean out the transom. What’s left is to sort out what stereo wires are still needed (it has 3 amps and an alpine and 6-6x9’s + a 12” sub) after haveing bee in an IASCA champion in my youth, I all but DGAF about stereos now. Need to mount and wire the batteries and figure out where to set the sea strainer and once the engine, drive and new gamble housing are in, it’s ready for water. I’m holding off on the sea strainer and batteries until after the engine is in.

Jeff flipped the engine pulled the pan, then he did a leak down and cylinders are all 5%, the engine is legit.

here is the fruit of my labor in the engine compartment (there’s still some other issues that need addressing) but this all was best to do with the engine pulled.

aDodw2.jpg

Pulled the drive hydronic pump off the floor and mounted it to the transom, new reservoir for the the drive pump and drive and drive oil are on the way. Trim tabs don’t work and I think I need a new trim tab control box but that’s low on the list of things to do

VI9Kh8.jpg

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Just had my windshields redone at Orange county boat Windows (OG) it was $800 for the set he said the price was going up slightly.
$800 is what I am begrudgingly willing to pay. I’ll drop them a call.

Seriously though, the gimble housing, new hoses and other goodies were not in the plan so i am wayyy over extended on disposable income having already spent $7K over our top budgeted price for the boat.

Duramax

Reaction score
Well, I gave up at this point. Spent about 30 hrs scrubbing off 25 years of gunk from everything and ripping out crappy stereo wires and the like, even the battery cables. Cut off the eyelids from the mufflers so I can put external flaps and hit them with a buffing wheel, they shine like new. Replaced the dying jack from the trailer and replaced with 1500 pound version. Ripped the nasty old carpet out of the ski locker and scrubbed and flushed with a garden hose untill it ran clean out the transom. What’s left is to sort out what stereo wires are still needed (it has 3 amps and an alpine and 6-6x9’s + a 12” sub) after haveing bee in an IASCA champion in my youth, I all but DGAF about stereos now. Need to mount and wire the batteries and figure out where to set the sea strainer and once the engine, drive and new gamble housing are in, it’s ready for water. I’m holding off on the sea strainer and batteries until after the engine is in.

Jeff flipped the engine pulled the pan, then he did a leak down and cylinders are all 5%, the engine is legit.

here is the fruit of my labor in the engine compartment (there’s still some other issues that need addressing) but this all was best to do with the engine pulled.

aDodw2.jpg

Pulled the drive hydronic pump off the floor and mounted it to the transom, new reservoir for the the drive pump and drive and drive oil are on the way. Trim tabs don’t work and I think I need a new trim tab control box but that’s low on the list of things to do

VI9Kh8.jpg
Fantastic! Absolutely spotless!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I think your onto something. I’ve been pouring time and money into the boat and at this point it doesn’t even float With no end in site. I have at least $1k to put into the trailer, I’ve already dumped $6K and have probably another $2k to put into it before it floats again and I still don’t know how/where I am going to mount the sea strainer which was mounted to the rear seat.

At this point, I really wish I hadn’t bought it. it’s a source of frustration rather than enjoyment :(

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I think your onto something. I’ve been pouring time and money into the boat and at this point it doesn’t even float With no end in site. I have at least $1k to put into the trailer, I’ve already dumped $6K and have probably another $2k to put into it before it floats again and I still don’t know how/where I am going to mount the sea strainer which was mounted to the rear seat.

At this point, I really wish I hadn’t bought it. it’s a source of frustration rather than enjoyment :(
You have to see the end will justify the means. Should be enough room to get a strainer on the inside of the stringer.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
You have to see the end will justify the means. Should be enough room to get a strainer on the inside of the stringer.
It’s not juse that, there is a 1 page list of thing to do, the boat is at my buddies shop, 4 hrs from my home and I’ve been spending weekends (and thousands) ”getting ahead of problems” and it just doesn’t seem like I’m making any progress. At this point, the boat would literally sink if I put it in the water.

This did make me happy though:

vYvh5F.jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It’s not juse that, there is a 1 page list of thing to do, the boat is at my buddies shop, 4 hrs from my home and I’ve been spending weekends (and thousands) ”getting ahead of problems” and it just doesn’t seem like I’m making any progress. At this point, the boat would literally sink if I put it in the water.

vYvh5F.jpg
Once it is done you will be good to go. By the amount of crying it sounds like you haven't owned a boat before hahaha

Bugginout

Reaction score

vYvh5F.jpg
Brother it's a labor of love. I do 90 percent of my own work and it's expensive as hell. The Hallett 240 is an iconic and super bad ass boat. I put a lot of hours on my boat's so it's all worth it to me in the end. My biggest problem is once the project is done I get bored and start looking for something else to build. My wife loves the projects because she always knows where I am lmfao in my garage. You know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time! I believe that you said this is your first boat? The way you are doing it, it could be your forever family boat. It's a sicknesses though and in a few years you may decide it's time for a different one. Don't give up it's a bad ass float.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

vYvh5F.jpg
Don't give up. You are this far in. Some of our favorite family times are out on the boat. I did not know this was your first boat. Well, as they say "baptism by fire". Love 240's. I have been looking a few years for the right one for us.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Brother it's a labor of love. I do 90 percent of my own work and it's expensive as hell. The Hallett 240 is an iconic and super bad ass boat. I put a lot of hours on my boat's so it's all worth it to me in the end. My biggest problem is once the project is done I get bored and start looking for something else to build. My wife loves the projects because she always knows where I am lmfao in my garage. You know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time! I believe that you said this is your first boat? The way you are doing it, it could be your forever family boat. It's a sicknesses though and in a few years you may decide it's time for a different one. Don't give up it's a bad ass float.
The only good place I have to work on it is 280 miles from my home. My wife tolerates that most times but I found out I had been exposed to the Rona last week and she pretty much told me to go to Vegas and work on our boat.

Had a chit chat with my mechanic, he’s right down the street, he said just leave him the seas strainer and he‘s done a million of them and he’s put it in trick. Once the Gimbal housing arrives the boat will be ready for water within hours. Turns out I’m getting the XR version housing which is supposed to be better.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The only good place I have to work on it is 280 miles from my home. My wife tolerates that most times but I found out I had been exposed to the Rona last week and she pretty much told me to go to Vegas and work on our boat.

Had a chit chat with my mechanic, he’s right down the street, he said just leave him the seas strainer and he‘s done a million of them and he’s put it in trick. Once the Gimbal housing arrives the boat will be ready for water within hours. Turns out I’m getting the XR version housing which is supposed to be better.
Who is your mechanic?

Bugginout

Reaction score

That is shitty that it is that far away my friend. But it sounds like you are in good hands with your friend. Motor is solid, drive will be solid you got the bilge cleaned up and wiring sorted out. Get it running solid throw it in storage finish your buggy. Make an appointment now for next summer with one of the trailer guy's in havasu. Float that bad ass ride and enjoy it for a few days while the trailer gets done. My trailer is at castle rock in parker and my boat is usually on a buoy. My name is Kelley and if you ever need any help while you are out in parker with your float hit me up. I don't drink either lmao so hanging out with someone else who doesn't drink would be cool. Just throwing it out there.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Once you have an enjoyable day on the water it will all be worth it. The "WORST THING " is to break down while boating after a Hard Weeks Work. You are doing it Correctly, get it ready to run without issues.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
That is shitty that it is that far away my friend. But it sounds like you are in good hands with your friend. Motor is solid, drive will be solid you got the bilge cleaned up and wiring sorted out. Get it running solid throw it in storage finish your buggy. Make an appointment now for next summer with one of the trailer guy's in havasu. Float that bad ass ride and enjoy it for a few days while the trailer gets done. My trailer is at castle rock in parker and my boat is usually on a buoy. My name is Kelley and if you ever need any help while you are out in parker with your float hit me up. I don't drink either lmao so hanging out with someone else who doesn't drink would be cool. Just throwing it out there.
The shop I do work at, is my ECU tuner’s place. My best friend for over 30 years. The good thing Is I get to hang out with him a lot more but the toll is tremendous getting out here.