WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LAM: solo dive on a lost anchor @ Saguaro Lake (AZ)

Will Mario find the anchor?

• Sure, seems legit

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No you idiot, why are you even doing this?

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Do you think the anchor will be recovered? Polls close @ 2pm

I'll post live updates to the thread up until I start my first dive around 1pm.

Cliff notes:
- Cut the anchor line of a unretrievable anchor back in early March (25lb mushroom w/ 5ft of chain rode)
- The surface location is based off a photo and GPS coordinates
- Depth should be 40ft-50ft and visibility <3ft @ depth with no real current to worry about
- 1hr 45min planned dive time spread across two dives

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Here’s the photo I took minutes after cutting the line. I did manage to free dive down until I could feel the weight of the chain rode and cut a few feet above that.

19A15BEB-F093-4BAA-B671-93E4329450B2.jpeg

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
With a $3.5 billion budget (whiteboard) why bother with a 25 lb. anchor? 🤪 You'll drive right by my community (last traffic light on the right) - let me know when you're going on your dive and I'll bring a comfy chair, a cooler and cervezas. Unless you're bringing your mobile bar 😁

What's the URL for your metal fab business?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I am a newly certified diver.... so my question is, since my BCD only has 35lbs of lift it wont lift me/my lead and the anchor/chain. So you must have to free the anchor and attach another rope to pull it up from the surface?

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
... So you must have to free the anchor and attach another rope to pull it up from the surface?

Not exactly. I’ll attach a float bag to it and fill that until the anchor is neutrally buoyant. When closer to the service I’ll float it, tie it off to a cleat and pull it up once I get back in the boat.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I am a newly certified diver.... so my question is, since my BCD only has 35lbs of lift it wont lift me/my lead and the anchor/chain. So you must have to free the anchor and attach another rope to pull it up from the surface?

I'm sitting here shaking my head asking myself just why in the hell would anyone be so concerned about retrieving an anchor that ain't worth a shit or the effort.
Good luck Lloyd Bridges. :p

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I'm sitting here shaking my head asking myself just why in the hell would anyone be so concerned about retrieving an anchor that ain't worth a shit or the effort.

Pure boredom in the new world order of closed bars/restaurants and face masks... Underwater is more fun in really bad conditions than just about any activity in town in my opinion....

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I keep a dive mask on the boat and swim out at whatever cove we stop at to look for anchors, ropes, glasses, keys, and lots of fishing lures.

Its fun and works up a good beer appetite.

I would think one of those "spare air" snorkel tanks would be a fun trick for just this type of stuff....

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I keep a dive mask on the boat and swim out at whatever cove we stop at to look for anchors, ropes, glasses, keys, and lots of fishing lures.

Its fun and works up a good beer appetite.
You need to work up an appetite for beer?😳. 😂😂

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Got one of the good parking spots!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I would kill to go to the lake just to watch flies fuck. :D had to fire one employee and another broke a door on a job...I’d godamn quit if I could!:mad:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
fun in good conditons too :)

That's awesome, my wife and I are really trying to find a way to do some warm water, high vis dives somewhere close. I promised her I wouldn't ask her to put on a full suit/hood/gloves any time soon after we dove Laguna coves last month in bad low vis conditions. If I could get a plane ride from my house at stellar airpark to catalina with all our gear, I bet she would put on a suit! But maybe try San Carlos in a month or two if travel conditions allow it... Nice dive photos, super jealous!

Tank

Reaction score
You ever dive the underwater town in Havasu?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
You ever dive the underwater town in Havasu?

I have dove 2 sites in Lake Havasu, "Friendly Isle" and "Miller's Foly" but not the training beach with the obstacles and town...

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I got the same feeling while reading this, as I did watching Geraldo Rivera open Al Capones vault. I hope the outcome is different.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I hope you do, but if you do I have an expensive prop id pay money for you to find.

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Best of luck! My buddy went diving for a leg on Saguaro lake a few years ago. Story made the local news after they returned it to owner. Similar to your deal, they were just happy to have a reason to go diving on a weekday.

-Zack

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
LOL A good refresher is to read the section of the PADI dive book where it says don’t dive alone. :). Good luck be safe.
So agree with this.... no buddy = increased risk... Plain and simple unfortunately.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Bring Mitch bucanon just in case

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
If you have the ability and the desire or the time, go for it. I have all the confidence in the world you can do it.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
2 hours have gone by.........maybe he doesn't dive as fast as he walks! :p

2Driver

Reaction score

It an excuse to dive. Kind of like a 100 mile breakfast run on motorcycles when you can eat 1 mile from home.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
IF he is diving 2 tanks wouldn't he need a little bit of surface time in between? I hardly want to break out a table to figure it out, thats why I wear a dive computer.... Plus there is no cell service at his dive site, he needs to go around the corner until Pilot rock is in sight before he can reliably get back on line!

2Driver

Reaction score
That's awesome, my wife and I are really trying to find a way to do some warm water, high vis dives somewhere close.

BVI

Just check the rental equip real good. This is where I ended up on my wreck dive. :0

D93F8654-A16B-4309-9B40-A73F90C551E0.jpeg

Your ad here

Reaction score
I say it's pretty darn stupid to dive solo for anything let alone a mushroom anchor. One thing I remember from the scuba course I took was always have a dive partner. If there was no dive partner then no scuba dive is happening. If you have a dive partner then I would be saying have fun and good luck finding it. Going solo isn't very smart.

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
It an excuse to dive. Kind of like a 100 mile breakfast run on motorcycles when you can eat 1 mile from home.
The desire is the same but the dangers are way different for the reward at the end.