WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lance campers...

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Who here has a Lance camper? We're deciding between one of these (1172 model) or a small class A. I'm leaning towards the Lance. I know they are small but it's just my wife and me. Any Lance owners on RDP?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Who here has a Lance camper? We're deciding between one of these (1172 model) or a small class A. I'm leaning towards the Lance. I know they are small but it's just my wife and me. Any Lance owners on RDP?
I dont own one, but I love me some truck Campers....... Also look at Host if you haven't already. CRAZY what they can get inside a truck bed now-a-days.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
$30K for a something that you put in the back of a pickup always rubbed me the wrong way....

One day I'll build one myself to save weight and money. Should only weigh 4000lbs and cost $50K by the time I'm done. lol

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Had one back in the late 80's on a 77 F250. It worked for us at the time until it got stolen and was never recovered. I had just completely rebuilt that truck from the ground up the prior year as well so someone south of the border got a good package.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I started out with a Lance Camper back in the day. They are awesome if its just the 2 of you. The simplicity of them is what is so appealing, you dont have a ton of room so you end up only packing what you really need.

The only issue I ever had was with the crappy propane generator that came with it. It was hard to start and as loud as the ones you see at carnivals. I know they have come along way with pop outs and new technology and features that the older onese never had.

Backlash

Reaction score
Not a Lance owner, but I do have an old-ass camper I'm tinkering around with. So far I've gutted the interior and am close to having an empty shell. When I get things rolling, I may start a rebuild thread on here.

sintax

Reaction score

so not a lance owner, but i've checked them out pretty extensively, and actually started looking at the Northern Lite campers. I think this is the one i'm going to grab once prices return from outer space. The build quality and layout is second to none, and they are a true 4 season camper.

I really dont want a slide (weight and simplicity reasons), but IF I wanted a slide i'd be checking out the Host campers or maybe even Arctic Fox

WildHorses24

Reaction score

Parents just sold their 2020 Lance for what they paid a year ago. Moving back into a Moho. Had a slide, built really well. Camped in the snow and camped in the heat, they were always comfortable. The only down side I see was really small bathroom and LONG way down out the back door for a drinker[emoji23]

HotRod82

Reaction score

I chassis mounted this 1172 on a 7.3 powered 4x4 F450 and absolutely love it. It is small compared to the 36’ Super C we moved out of, and takes some getting used to. IMO, this setup works great for short trips but gets smaller by the day on long trips. I love being able to get into small out of the way places, and it pretty much fits in any parking space. Great overall build quality, no coach problems at all. Biggest drawback is you have to open the rear slide to get in it.
C11BCE24-2A77-4E1B-A7E8-2C697D4CB407.jpeg
1EE8DFC8-8CA9-470D-8E42-A56F4D80859B.jpeg
B4260C40-6E95-4EE9-B61F-24BDE41C2A9C.jpeg

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I chassis mounted this 1172 on a 7.3 powered 4x4 F450 and absolutely love it. It is small compared to the 36’ Super C we moved out of, and takes some getting used to. IMO, this setup works great for short trips but gets smaller by the day on long trips. I love being able to get into small out of the way places, and it pretty much fits in any parking space. Great overall build quality, no coach problems at all. Biggest drawback is you have to open the rear slide to get in it. View attachment 1048873 View attachment 1048874 View attachment 1048875
Thats awesome

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I chassis mounted this 1172 on a 7.3 powered 4x4 F450 and absolutely love it. It is small compared to the 36’ Super C we moved out of, and takes some getting used to. IMO, this setup works great for short trips but gets smaller by the day on long trips. I love being able to get into small out of the way places, and it pretty much fits in any parking space. Great overall build quality, no coach problems at all. Biggest drawback is you have to open the rear slide to get in it. View attachment 1048873 View attachment 1048874 View attachment 1048875

That is awesome! Does the 7.3 tow well with the 1172 on the back of it? I was thinking about getting the f350 dually with the 6.7 diesel.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Was doing the cabover thing for years up until last year. We had friends who had lances. When they bought them they told us over and over they were just as good as the Arctic Fox that we had. One of us owned it theirs for 8 years and made a grand total of one trip to the dealer for an issue right after it was bought it to adjust the door. Not a single other issue. The others all were "frequent flyers" at the dealers for issues. We all averaged over 30 nights a year in them so the got their use.

Want to guess which brand had no issues and which was on the good end but still typical for the market? :)

Most people I know who own an AF all say about the same of them. Spend a little more up front and skip most of the drama. The cost difference is not that much really.
FYI, AF has a dealer in Oregon that sells them for about 75% of list. Many local dealers will price match as its just a weekend to run up and pick it up. It happens to be next door to the factory.

Also, you really want one you can squeeze in with the slides in. Having to open up every time you open the door gets old real fast. On mine, you had to "suck it in" but could do it. The friends lance that needed to pop slides to get in.... Well lets just say that was a significant contributing factor to it getting sold.

Pattle

Reaction score
We have a 2012 Lance 992, a 10 footer with dual slides. It's great for us. I wanted to be able to haul my prerunner around, so a toybox trailer wasn't going to work. So, either a full size MH capable of hauling it or a camper on a 4 door dually. For just my wife and me plus 2 small dogs, the camper is plenty big. I also have an extra vehicle if I need it for whatever reason (others in the shop, or need a big bed), since it doesn't take too long to pull the camper off.

sintax

Reaction score
Most people I know who own an AF all say about the same of them. Spend a little more up front and skip most of the drama. The cost difference is not that much really.
FYI, AF has a dealer in Oregon that sells them for about 75% of list. Many local dealers will price match as its just a weekend to run up and pick it up. It happens to be next door to the factory.

So i've also been thinking about an OR dealer as well, and was curious if anyones done it for a camper. Since they dont have a sales tax I figure I could save a few bucks on a camper valued at ~50k.

I'm sure theres gonna be some catch that'll burn me on it, there always is :)

HotRod82

Reaction score
That is awesome! Does the 7.3 tow well with the 1172 on the back of it? I was thinking about getting the f350 dually with the 6.7 diesel.

The 7.3 does OK with my 10K lb. enclosed trailer. It's stock except for the ball bearing turbo and full 4 inch exhaust. That said, the 6.7 would be awesome. Really check the weight ratings on the F350, I know the new ones are rated a lot higher but the 1172 weighs 5000 lbs. full of gear. Add another 1000 Lbs. in tongue weight and it really adds up quick. I put air bags on my 450 and I also installed the Torklift urethane snubbers on the overloads to engage them sooner. It rides like a pickup and easily handles the weight without the annoying sway.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, they can get heavy real fast. 60 gal fresh, 40 & 40 black /grey, dual large propane tanks, dual batteries...... then your stuff.
My guess was always somewhere in the high fives to six for weight.

Pattle

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately the big duallys don't really have the huge payloads like they do the huge towing numbers. No difference between F250 and F350 dually payloads when I got mine in '13. I got the Supertruss, Stableloads, and air bags, and avoid conversations with wannabe weight police.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
The 7.3 does OK with my 10K lb. enclosed trailer. It's stock except for the ball bearing turbo and full 4 inch exhaust. That said, the 6.7 would be awesome. Really check the weight ratings on the F350, I know the new ones are rated a lot higher but the 1172 weighs 5000 lbs. full of gear. Add another 1000 Lbs. in tongue weight and it really adds up quick. I put air bags on my 450 and I also installed the Torklift urethane snubbers on the overloads to engage them sooner. It rides like a pickup and easily handles the weight without the annoying sway.

Thank you for the tips. The 6.7 diesel has a payload capacity of 7650lbs and can tow up to 21000. Even with this option, the payload is definitely on the high side.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Pricing does seem high with a slide in but remember there's everything in it that goes in a Motor Home - fridge, heater, stove, slides, etc

sintax

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips. The 6.7 diesel has a payload capacity of 7650lbs and can tow up to 21000. Even with this option, the payload is definitely on the high side.

yea, it also get tricky once you start looking at that payload, and watching it go down once you start adding in 4x4, diesel powertrain, crew cab, leather power seats, bigger fuel tanks, and so on.

The truck camper guys seem to think the new Ford single cab dually w/ the new godzilla 7.3 gasser the hot ticket. Its supposed to have the highest payload out there.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I started wtih an old 89 Vacationeer, 9'6" We drove the shit out of it. Had it on an F250. I added airbags to help with the loaded ride, but the unloaded ride was so bone jarring I sold it and bought a Duramax 3500. Rode so much better.

We upgraded the camper to a 2005 Lance 1010. Rode great, but you need to leave space for added stopping distance. We towed a Wrangler and the Laveycraft behind it with a custom stinger extension on the hitch.

The four of us took that thing from Mexico to Canada. Very few issues. Getting the rig leveled at the campsite was important to keep the fridge working properly. Out of level and it would not stay cold. I finally got a little bubble level that I set inside the fridge. Adjusting the jacks got it right, and the ice cream stayed hard!

Lance 1010 rvs for sale in Arizona

JD D05

Reaction score
I started wtih an old 89 Vacationeer, 9'6" We drove the shit out of it. Had it on an F250. I added airbags to help with the loaded ride, but the unloaded ride was so bone jarring I sold it and bought a Duramax 3500. Rode so much better.

We upgraded the camper to a 2005 Lance 1010. Rode great, but you need to leave space for added stopping distance. We towed a Wrangler and the Laveycraft behind it with a custom stinger extension on the hitch.

The four of us took that thing from Mexico to Canada. Very few issues. Getting the rig leveled at the campsite was important to keep the fridge working properly. Out of level and it would not stay cold. I finally got a little bubble level that I set inside the fridge. Adjusting the jacks got it right, and the ice cream stayed hard!

Lance 1010 rvs for sale in Arizona

My folks have one very similar to this they want to sell...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Advantages: No registration fees, no taxes. Fairly easy to store. It takes maybe 20 minutes to unload it. Can park anywhere your truck can. No tires on it, no extra running gear to maintain. Awesome to have a real fridge and real bathroom with you all the time.

Disadvantages: Getting up to pee three times a night when you're old and drunk in that overcab bed can be an ordeal! LOL

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The Host version of the 1172 looks impressive as well.

Badass bathrooms for a truck camper too....

I'd definitely suggest going with a 45 series truck. If you could figure out how to put one on the new Chevy 4500/5500's, that'd be a nice set-up. I'm told they can be had relatively cheap and have very large payload numbers. Downside is the cab is so tall relative to the bed.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately the big duallys don't really have the huge payloads like they do the huge towing numbers. No difference between F250 and F350 dually payloads when I got mine in '13. I got the Supertruss, Stableloads, and air bags, and avoid conversations with wannabe weight police.
There is a ton of difference. Literally 2k lbs.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
We had a mid 80s lance for 18 years, it literally died on the back of our truck, now have an 1140 AF since 2005 still going strong.

Triple slide eagle cap 1200, or the triple hosts are heavy, and expensive BUT they pack a lot of stuff in them, got to have an F550 or a dodge 5500

Ricks raft

Reaction score

Be aware, payload is not the same as camper weight rating. Because of the high center of gravity. I don’t remember the numbers but on my 3/4 HD camper rating was substantially less.

wash11

Reaction score
We have a 08' 1181 with single slide. It's built better than any other RV we've owned. We have it set up for guests- everyone loves it!

franky

Reaction score
Advantages: No registration fees, no taxes. Fairly easy to store. It takes maybe 20 minutes to unload it. Can park anywhere your truck can. No tires on it, no extra running gear to maintain. Awesome to have a real fridge and real bathroom with you all the time.

Disadvantages: Getting up to pee three times a night when you're old and drunk in that overcab bed can be an ordeal! LOL
Take a pill. Better life thru pharmaceuticals.

Pattle

Reaction score
There is a ton of difference. Literally 2k lbs.

That was way too many beers ago, so I really don't remember specifically. You're probably right, but there was definitely some sort of challenge I was facing. Maybe the diesel offset some of those 2k lbs? Maybe I was comparing the F350 vs F450? Maybe my memory is just shot? I do seem to remember looking at building up a 550 commercial chassis cab, as one way to get more weight capacity than the passenger trucks, and finally decided to just go with the F350 dually and make the best of it.

Thinking about it more, it probably was the F350 vs the F450. I remember the F450 was almost the same truck, but with a better front end and turning radius and lower gears. And more $$$. I decided I didn't want lower gearing, and didn't want to pay more $$$, so got the F350.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
For the record, not a Lance but it has worked great for us for the last 16 years and going strong, I just re did the roof and added 1000 watts of new solar with MPPT control.
IMG_3062.JPG

v6toy4x

Reaction score

1631648259657.png

Hands down the most seemless install of camper to utility bed I have seen, well done, and I have been messing with slide ins since our first lance in 1985
Did you build the bed sides to the camper?
How about some pics of what is inside your utility bed compartments, batteries, LP, camp gear, stove-bbq, leveling blocks, generator?

USMC2010

Reaction score
If I ever get another truck camper it will be a wolf creek 840, the layout is better and it is lighter than my lance was.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
They are amazing units.
Our 43’ TH is too big for our laps around the USA and we’re considering a Lance in addition.

sintax

Reaction score
If I ever get another truck camper it will be a wolf creek 840, the layout is better and it is lighter than my lance was.

I was looking into a Wolf Creek 850 as well, but I just wasn’t into that fold down bunk, I really wish they just offered some cabinets up there instead.